Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Yes, movie, warm2.

I could check standard mode, but not sure what the benefit would be. I'm able to achieve my desired brightness (32 ftL) in movie mode, and track 6500K very well, and have the gamma I want.

The only advantage to standard mode might be the primary and secondary color locations. If they are located better, then it would be better to calibrate in standard than movie mode. I have no reason to believe it will be different, but I might check it just in case.

Dan

I just don't understand how the two modes could be different even though both were calibrated. To me they should be the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1481 Old 05-29-2009, 08:19 PM

Liked: 11
you the man dan, thank you for taking the time to do thisfor us, so glad you are decideing to keep it also. Need your opinion on this, I have over 300 hours on this tv and I get Ir very easily, If I put up the menu for just a few sec it will live Ir, it does go away very quickly with the scrolling feature. But is it normal to get it so quickly even after 300 hrs. See on the A450 with the 3 different panels I never got IR once. Even gaming after 80hrs and nothing. This one I was babying using break in images and running scrolling everynight for like 20 mins. It doesnt really bother me since it goes right away, just wondering if its noraml, thanks
post #93 of 1481 Old 05-30-2009, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Glad to help. I figure if I'm going through the effort to calibrate the display for myself, I may as well share my findings so that others can see what this TV can do.

I'm pretty new to plasma display, but I don't consider IR a problem. To me, it's inherent to the technology. Plasmas have IR, period, but some seem to get it easier than others. From what many here on the forums say, the Samsungs tend to get it easier than some other brands. I have seen no data to back this up though.

It's one of the issues that I've decided not to be fussy about as long as I don't notice it during normal viewing, which I don't. This Samsung throws a fantastic picture, period. I have IR too, and it doesn't take long for it to show up, but I only notice it if I intentionally put up a black or very dark screen right after I've had something bright showing, like white text or the menu.

I watched Ratatoulli(spelling?) last night with the black bars showing on top and bottom and didn't notice IR after I was done watching the whole movie. I don't look for IR though, like I said. It may have been there, but I switched to over-the-air HD programming right after that so it probably got washed away right away. If you don't notice it during casual viewing, I wouldn't get worked up about it.

Dan
post #94 of 1481 Old 05-30-2009, 09:59 AM

it doesnt really bother me either just wanted to make sure it was normal, I guess I got lucky with the Ir on the A450, by the way I think you really would've liked that ones(A450) menu better. In color space there was custom also which let you tweak the RGB of all 6 colors(red, blue, green, yellow, cyan and magenta)Thats all this Tv needed to be perfect. You probaly would've been able to get all the colors spot on perfect.Did you try messing with the cell light during calabration? I know with the A series 10 was the right one as far as the gamma curve was concerned(I think thats what it was)but since the B series seems like a different beast all together, I wonder if that change. I wish Doug Blackburn would chime in on this matter, Since he is the expert here on those matters
post #95 of 1481 Old 05-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

I just don't understand how the two modes could be different even though both were calibrated. To me they should be the same.
post #96 of 1481 Old 05-30-2009, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

dallows,

Which two modes are you referring to? I've only calibrated one mode, Movie mode. Can you explain what you are asking again?

Dan
post #97 of 1481 Old 05-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Dan your settings ROCK!!!!
I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to share your tweaks with us!
Props 2 you brutha!!!
post #98 of 1481 Old 05-30-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks! Yeah, I was surprised myself last night when I got a chance to watch material in a dark room. I took my settings listed above, but bumped gamma to zero. Wow! Dyanamic, beautiful picture, with lots of detail.(including shadow detail.) It made the black bars on the movie (2.35 format) almost disappear.

Dan
post #99 of 1481 Old 05-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

dallows,

Which two modes are you referring to? I've only calibrated one mode, Movie mode. Can you explain what you are asking again?

Dan

If you calibrate Movie and Standard, shouldn't they be the same? Does the temp setting affect it that much?

If you changed the gamma wouldn't you have to recalibrate?
post #100 of 1481 Old 05-30-2009, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, if I calibrate movie and standard I would guess that the final result would be the same. The final result should be the same, but the contrast, brightness, probably the white balance, and maybe the color and tint settings will be different. I mapped my movie, warm2 settings to standard mode, and it did not look the same at all.

For instance, to achieve 32 ftL brightness in movie/warm2 mode I need to set the contrast to 80, but in standard mode to get 32 ftL the contrast setting will be lower because standard mode already boosts contrast versus movie mode.

No gamma only affects how brightness is handled between black, and 100% white. It does not change how dark 0% black is, or how bright 100% white is, only the brightness in between. It does not affect color saturation, hue, or greyscale tracking.

Dan
post #101 of 1481 Old 05-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, if I calibrate movie and standard I would guess that the final result would be the same. The final result should be the same, but the contrast, brightness, probably the white balance, and maybe the color and tint settings will be different. I mapped my movie, warm2 settings to standard mode, and it did not look the same at all.

For instance, to achieve 32 ftL brightness in movie/warm2 mode I need to set the contrast to 80, but in standard mode to get 32 ftL the contrast setting will be lower because standard mode already boosts contrast versus movie mode.

No gamma only affects how brightness is handled between black, and 100% white. It does not change how dark 0% black is, or how bright 100% white is, only the brightness in between. It does not affect color saturation, hue, or greyscale tracking.

Dan

Yeah I don't think you'd be able to use the same settings, but with both calibrated the same way, they should look the same, right? Or does the color temp change that? That seems to be the real deciding factor here.

I've used your settings for movie mode, but my standard settings still look better (imo). The one thing that I keep coming back to is the fact that to my eyes, bright scenes, that are intended bright, don't look bright in movie mode. IMO not as intended.

also, when I go back and forth on a paused image the movie mode doesn't seem as clear (imo), that bothers me as well.

But anyway. Thanks for all your input.
post #102 of 1481 Old 05-31-2009, 10:12 AM

Got mine over a week ago, and have probably less than 50 hours on it, but decided to play with these settings anyway.

Thanks a ton for the calibration Dan, your settings look fabulous on mine. I thought the default normal mode looked pretty good, and wasn't thrilled about the default movie mode. It had more natural color, but really seemed to fog over the image compared to normal.

Your settings looked incredible last night watching up streamed DVD's over hdmi and 720p content from an htpc.
Switching back and forth between movie mode (w/ your settings) and normal, and it is definitely a large improvement in color accuracy and detail. Skin tone is amazing looking.

I preferred to leave the gamma at 1 though, as the image seemed to begin to lack brightness at lvl 0. I view in a pretty dark room, seating more than 12' away. I was thinking of upping the brightness a notch leaving the gamma at 0, but from what i took from the thread, I assume this will change the color intensity rather then just the brightness level of the screen, such as a backlight would in an LCD? Sorry, this is my first plasma, but i'm lovin it.
post #103 of 1481 Old 05-31-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

dallows,

That's often the case. A properly calibrated display often doesn't have the impact of other modes. It could also be variation from one display to another. My settings may not transfer over well to your display.

Use whichever you prefer. Enjoy! I've been very happy with this Samsung, and I hope that it continues to perform for many years to come.

Dan
post #104 of 1481 Old 05-31-2009, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono Jones View Post

Got mine over a week ago, and have probably less than 50 hours on it, but decided to play with these settings anyway.

Thanks a ton for the calibration Dan, your settings look fabulous on mine. I thought the default normal mode looked pretty good, and wasn't thrilled about the default movie mode. It had more natural color, but really seemed to fog over the image compared to normal.

Your settings looked incredible last night watching up streamed DVD's over hdmi and 720p content from an htpc.
Switching back and forth between movie mode (w/ your settings) and normal, and it is definitely a large improvement in color accuracy and detail. Skin tone is amazing looking.

I preferred to leave the gamma at 1 though, as the image seemed to begin to lack brightness at lvl 0. I view in a pretty dark room, seating more than 12' away. I was thinking of upping the brightness a notch leaving the gamma at 0, but from what i took from the thread, I assume this will change the color intensity rather then just the brightness level of the screen, such as a backlight would in an LCD? Sorry, this is my first plasma, but i'm lovin it.

Glad it worked out well for you. This display is amazing in a dark room. You really need to check these settings in a darkened room, like you did, to really appreciate this tv. It's just too hard to judge when there is a lot of ambient light and the picture gets a little washed out.

Brightness will not impact color saturation, but it will start to wash out the picture as you turn it up. Your better option is to use the gamma of 1 rather than zero if the picture is looking to dark.

You could also try bumping up the brightness like you said. There is a fine line for brightness. I wouldn't try bumping it more than one notch though. Maybe 53 is proper for your DVD player. On mine, it's 52.

Dan
post #105 of 1481 Old 05-31-2009, 12:02 PM

The other day I was watching tv must've been about 5 pm (southern california) and there was only a little light coming in, so it wasnt completely dark about like an overcast day. I am using your settings( which are great) and The tv looked absolutely amazing in that light, to me even better then when its completely dark(and that looks great). I cant explain it but the colors and black just poped. Dan I now you've done alot for us already but if I can ask a favor and that if you get some free time can you calibrate in standard mode. The reason I ask is with my A450 I found during the day especially when a lot of light was coming in standard looked a little better because it was brighter. That was only time I use standard. Only if you have some free time and dont mind doing it for us, once again thanks for all your work
post #106 of 1481 Old 05-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

dallows,

That's often the case. A properly calibrated display often doesn't have the impact of other modes. It could also be variation from one display to another. My settings may not transfer over well to your display.

Use whichever you prefer. Enjoy! I've been very happy with this Samsung, and I hope that it continues to perform for many years to come.

Dan

It's either my eyes or the tv then. Because you guys talk about great color and black levels with those settings but I just don't see it.

What I get is a cloudy overcast and gray blacks.

Shrug.
post #107 of 1481 Old 05-31-2009, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanpol View Post

The other day I was watching tv must've been about 5 pm (southern california) and there was only a little light coming in, so it wasnt completely dark about like an overcast day. I am using your settings( which are great) and The tv looked absolutely amazing in that light, to me even better then when its completely dark(and that looks great). I cant explain it but the colors and black just poped. Dan I now you've done alot for us already but if I can ask a favor and that if you get some free time can you calibrate in standard mode. The reason I ask is with my A450 I found during the day especially when a lot of light was coming in standard looked a little better because it was brighter. That was only time I use standard. Only if you have some free time and dont mind doing it for us, once again thanks for all your work

Sure, when I get around to it, I'll do standard mode as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows View Post

It's either my eyes or the tv then. Because you guys talk about great color and black levels with those settings but I just don't see it.

What I get is a cloudy overcast and gray blacks.

Shrug.

dallows, that sounds like brightness being set incorrectly. What are your equipment sources for blu-ray or DVD?

Dan
post #108 of 1481 Old 05-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

dallows, that sounds like brightness being set incorrectly. What are your equipment sources for blu-ray or DVD?

Dan

PS3 right to TV via HDMI for blu-ray and dvd (don't watch many of those! haha).

I've been using the DVE disc for calibrating everything. Should I use this instead?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Dan, think you can post any of your set in action? Thanks.
post #109 of 1481 Old 05-31-2009, 02:51 PM

[quote=stereomandan;16560033]Sure, when I get around to it, I'll do standard mode as well.

Sounds good to me, thanks Dan I really appriciate
post #110 of 1481 Old 05-31-2009, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PS3 right to TV via HDMI for blu-ray and dvd (don't watch many of those! haha).

I've been using the DVE disc for calibrating everything. Should I use this instead?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Dan, think you can post any of your set in action? Thanks.

YES! I've found the AVS REC.709 download to be much better than DVE, especially if you are playing it through the PS3.

On the PS3, how do you have the Super White, and RGB settings? (this makes a big difference in brightness and contrast settings)

...and yes, absolutely. I was thinking of taking some screenshots. Can't promise them right away, but I'll be glad to.

[quote=kanpol;16560391]
Quote:

Sounds good to me, thanks Dan I really appriciate

No prob.

Dan
post #111 of 1481 Old 05-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

YES! I've found the AVS REC.709 download to be much better than DVE, especially if you are playing it through the PS3.

On the PS3, how do you have the Super White, and RGB settings? (this makes a big difference in brightness and contrast settings)

...and yes, absolutely. I was thinking of taking some screenshots. Can't promise them right away, but I'll be glad to.

No sweat on the screenshots. Thanks.

I went through the avs disc and calibrated again tonight in a completely dark room with my newly installed ambient light (boosh!) and here's what I have for Standard.

Contrast: 70 (My hardest setting to understand. The last 2-3 higher bars I can't really seeing flashing but if I go down to like 60-ish they start to appear, I might redo calibration later messing with a lower contrast.)

Brightness: 51 (52 gives a little more visibility to bar 17 but bar 16 starts to show)

Sharpness: 50 (default)
Color: 40
Tint: 47/53

White balance: Default

I'm watching harry potter right now on tv and these settings give a little like washing out in some dark areas so I bumped the gamma down to -1 to test with. I really need to test these settings with a nice blu ray movie to be sure. We can't really base a display on a tv signal/image.

I calibrated these settings with black tone at off and dynamic contrast at medium, I used a bunch of test images and didn't really seem to affect black levels and crushing once the black level was set. Going back and forth to your settings give basically the same result concerning black levels.

Dan I forgot to address your other question.
Super White is on and the RGB both full and limited yield the same results(pretty sure. i was on limited and switched to full, saw no apparent change)
post #112 of 1481 Old 06-01-2009, 01:02 AM

Stereomandan I figured out why in movie mode on all black screen it seems to shut off. I use my ps3 for movies and I had it set to RGB Full and HDMI Black Level to low. For some reason those settings make it happen. I can have rgb full and black level normal and it wont happen or rgb limited and black level low and it wont happen either. So it is full and low that cause it. I forget how is it supposed to be with rgb and hdmi black level. If you get a chance give it a try for me to see if its like that all around. just in case someone else has same problem we might have a fix for it thanks
post #113 of 1481 Old 06-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanpol View Post

Stereomandan I figured out why in movie mode on all black screen it seems to shut off. I use my ps3 for movies and I had it set to RGB Full and HDMI Black Level to low. For some reason those settings make it happen. I can have rgb full and black level normal and it wont happen or rgb limited and black level low and it wont happen either. So it is full and low that cause it. I forget how is it supposed to be with rgb and hdmi black level. If you get a chance give it a try for me to see if its like that all around. just in case someone else has same problem we might have a fix for it thanks

I don't think that's it. When I ran movies through the ps3 with RGB at limited it did it, same with Full. I believe when you run an actual blu ray movie (the physical disc) through ps3 it locks the hdmi black level to low.
post #114 of 1481 Old 06-02-2009, 09:01 PM

Im not watching a BR I have a external hard drive pluged in the usb and use that for my movies(works like a media box). I think what happens with rgb full and hdmi black level low it makes the blacks to dark so screen shut off, maybe or could be maybe.
post #115 of 1481 Old 06-16-2009, 09:15 AM

Any of you guys with the B450 know if the headphone jack volume can be controlled by the tv remote? I plan on hooking some computer speakers to it that really rock and am wondering if I will have to get up and mess with the volume. Thanks
post #116 of 1481 Old 06-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorjdh View Post

Any of you guys with the B450 know if the headphone jack volume can be controlled by the tv remote? I plan on hooking some computer speakers to it that really rock and am wondering if I will have to get up and mess with the volume. Thanks

No headphone jack.
post #117 of 1481 Old 06-18-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:

No headphone jack.

glad i did not see this before I went and bought it! I would have been in the decision zone again. I was disappointed since their website said it had a headphone jack. I called Samsung and they said it was a mistake on the website and only the 42" model has the headphone jack. I found an audio Y cable and was able to hook up my pc speakers anyway. Now I just have to get up to turn the volume up or down.
post #118 of 1481 Old 06-18-2009, 09:06 PM

Actually they lied again cause the 42 doesn't have a head phone jack either the 42a450 did but not the 42b450
post #119 of 1481 Old 06-20-2009, 07:39 PM

Hey I recently got this TV and have been running the Break in DVD for a few hours. I just had a few questions

My settings for the Break in are
Contrast at 50%
Brightness at 50%
Dynamic contrast off
Pixel Shift at 4-4-1

I will run the Break In DVD for the next 2 weeks for 8-10 hours a night

Are these the correct settings for the Break in process?
post #120 of 1481 Old 06-20-2009, 08:20 PM

yup those settings are fine. Then after that check out stereomandans calibrated settings on the 3rd page of this thread. He did a great job
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page