Vizio VP322 32" Plasma Pop Of Death Fixed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 204 Old 05-03-2009, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ran across this tv on craigslist, owner said it just died one day, heard a "pop." Previous owner said it was just over 1 year old. I had fixed a Philip's plasma 42" by replacing all the capacitors on the power supply board and thought it might be the same issue.

Pulled the cover off the Vizio, sure enough 3 bulging/leaking caps and a few more suspect ones. Pulled the power supply board (5 screws, couple harness connnections), put in good Panasonic high-temp rate capacitors (almost all of them, about 14 total), buttoned it back up and it's been working like new for almost a week. Total parts cost about $15.00. I used to solder for a living, on a scale of 1-10 this was about a 3 (easy). This repair is well within the abilities of anyone with a soldering iron and some patience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 204 Old 08-31-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjp444 View Post

I ran across this tv on craigslist, owner said it just died one day, heard a "pop." Previous owner said it was just over 1 year old. I had fixed a Philip's plasma 42" by replacing all the capacitors on the power supply board and thought it might be the same issue.

Pulled the cover off the Vizio, sure enough 3 bulging/leaking caps and a few more suspect ones. Pulled the power supply board (5 screws, couple harness connnections), put in good Panasonic high-temp rate capacitors (almost all of them, about 14 total), buttoned it back up and it's been working like new for almost a week. Total parts cost about $15.00. I used to solder for a living, on a scale of 1-10 this was about a 3 (easy). This repair is well within the abilities of anyone with a soldering iron and some patience.

About 5 days ago i woke up and turned my TV on. It turned on/off/on. I didn't worry too much about it as a thought it was a glitch with my DirecTV remote.Next day i go to use it again after it had sat all night. It turned on/off about 5-6 times till finally staying on. I knew something was wrong then.

As the days went by, the time it took got longer and longer. Finally i unplugged the TV and plugged it back in. After that the orange stand-by light. After googling a bit, i found this thread. The first day i had time, i removed the cover on my TV and immediately i noticed some bulging/leaking caps.

A trip to the local electronics store, 4 caps, $13.18, and few amateur solder joints later the TV was working perfectly as before!!

I did not replace all the caps as i really did not have confidence in my soldering abilities and figured the more i soldered the more likely to have a bad solder connection.

I just wanted to share my story and say THANK YOU! You saved me quite a bit of money and heartache!!
post #3 of 204 Old 09-01-2009, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Hey glad it worked out for you! If it's working fine with just replacing the 4 caps, that's great, I went overboard I guess with replacing 14. If it stops working in the future you know what to do. Congrats.
post #4 of 204 Old 12-05-2009, 12:23 PM

Wanted to add my thank you for helping me fix my Vizio VP322 power supply problem.

My 1.5 year old VP322 had the same symptoms. Clicked on and off several times before powering up. It got worse and worse until the green standby light completely went out. It didnt attempt to power up after that.

After removing about 30-40 screws, I got the back off and sure enough there were two bulging caps. They just had a tiny bit of electrolyte leaking from the top.

Bought two 3300uf caps ($9) and popped them in. Worked great.

But I have 5 screws left over. I'm sure they're not important...
post #5 of 204 Old 12-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountOrloff View Post

Wanted to add my thank you for helping me fix my Vizio VP322 power supply problem.

My 1.5 year old VP322 had the same symptoms. Clicked on and off several times before powering up. It got worse and worse until the green standby light completely went out. It didnt attempt to power up after that.

After removing about 30-40 screws, I got the back off and sure enough there were two bulging caps. They just had a tiny bit of electrolyte leaking from the top.

Bought two 3300uf caps ($9) and popped them in. Worked great.

But I have 5 screws left over. I'm sure they're not important...

heres a good moto to live by. Six out,four in and 2 tight. Manufacturerers usually add too many screws that way if you lose some you got extra
post #6 of 204 Old 12-08-2009, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Glad it worked out for you. It's a fun, easy project and as a bonus, you get your TV back!
post #7 of 204 Old 12-10-2009, 01:25 PM

I am starting to have the same problems.

Where is the best place to buy the capacitors? Any specific capacitors?
post #8 of 204 Old 12-15-2009, 01:50 PM

Tv is dead will not turn on at all.......
Thank you so much for this web site, I removed the back cover and like 70
screws ,looked at the power supply and the two 3300uf caps were bulding .
Bought two 3300uf caps from digikey online for like $5 total, removed the board with four screws and unpluged some cables then soldered the caps in and works like new again...I saved so much money...
post #9 of 204 Old 12-24-2009, 06:47 AM

Thanks to the information given here I was able to save big $$$. I bought two 3300uf 10v capacitors for $.95 each (very hard to find localy) and a Desoldering iron for $12 from the local Radio Shack. I watched a few Youtube vids on desoldering and soldering on circuit boards, and gave it a try. It worked!!!! Thanks to everyone for the information.
post #10 of 204 Old 02-13-2010, 08:29 AM

Thank you both because that has saved me a ton of money. Going to the electronics store to get supplies now.
post #11 of 204 Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 PM

How can you tell if the capacitors are bad? I've been looking at them and they look fine to my untrained eye.
post #12 of 204 Old 03-07-2010, 07:07 PM

I believe I'm having the same problems as you guys did. Have a 32" vp322 tv and had the on/off thing issue for a while before it died on me today . Now it seems like an easy fix since the parts don't cost much but my soldering and repair skills on tv's isn't very good. I was wondering how much it would cost for someone to do it for me, since I don't wanna mess it up even more? Thanks for any info!
post #13 of 204 Old 03-24-2010, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Can you get the board out by yourself? If you can, any repair shop should be able to replace the caps for less than $50.
post #14 of 204 Old 03-26-2010, 06:18 AM

I had the on/off problem for about 3 weeks then it died. Took it apart, found this forum, ordered 5 caps from digikey and replaced them. DONE, all for less than $10. Works great! If you can not handle the solder job, ask around.
post #15 of 204 Old 04-15-2010, 08:29 AM

I want to thank everybody here that contributed to this information. I Found this forum doing some google searching for my problem and found this thread. I too have this same exact model and it was doing that turn on and off thing then it would stay on. 2 days later it wouldn't even come on no orange light up vizio logo or anything.

as suggested here i went to digikey.com and order in my case 5 capacitors that were damaged on my board.

I Had to order 1 of these 1000uf 10v Capacitors Part # P5521-ND
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...521-nd&x=0&y=0

2 of these 1000UF 25V Part #P5544-ND
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...4-ND&x=20&y=33

AND 2 of these 3300uf 10v capacitors Part # P12735-ND
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...735-nd&x=0&y=0

Thanks Everyone You Saved My Plasma From Meeting The Dumpster !
post #16 of 204 Old 04-22-2010, 09:16 PM

Hello all,

I found this page stumbling through google, took my board out of my VP322, and now i am at a standstill. I see that there are "tubular" capacitors that are bad (2 small ones bulging, 2 med ones bulging, and 1 large one is leaking, but there are also 2 round blue ones that are leaking, and a rounded squarish orange one that is leaking. I can post up a picture if it helps to identify these parts.

My biggest problem is finding the new capacitors, i literally have no clue how to find them, but if i could find them i would be able to replace them. Can anyone help me ID these broken caps so i can get new ones?

here is a basic picture until i can find my digital camera
post #17 of 204 Old 04-23-2010, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

The 4 capacitors on the upper right, in the blue circles, are failed and need to be replaced. The others I can't see real well but why do you think they are leaking? The white goop is silicone applied at the factory for stability, that's not a sign of failure. The three electrolytics in the blue circle actually look fine too, they are not bulging. You can replace them if you want, they will fail someday. The orange/red square capacitors are MPP's (metallized polypropylene), they pretty much can't leak and almost never fail.

If you post some other pics I'll look at them but I'm almost certain all you need are the 4 on the upper right. They are available at Digikey, Mouser, Newark etc. See the post immediately before yours, those are the ones you want (confirm the values and voltage ratings and when you put them in make sure you pay attention to polarity). Let us know how it works out....
post #18 of 204 Old 04-23-2010, 09:38 AM

I bought my VP322 Vizio Plasma September 2008, and now here we are April 2010 and it's suffering from the on/off/on thing. It's been doing this since last week, and it's gotten worse. Now if I shut it off and leave it off for at least 5-10 minutes (like if I'm going to bed or something) it'll take 40 seconds to a minute before it cuts on doing the on/off/on thing (and the time extends each day).

I have decided to leave the TV on until the Capacitors from Digikey arrive, because something tells me, it'll die if I cut it off again. I WILL NEVER BUY VIZIO again!! (HOW THE HECK ARE THEY THE # 1 LCD MAKER?) Thankgod for this forum showing up on Google or I'd be screwed, I was depressed all last week until I seen this thread..now there's a glimmer of hope.

So hopefully I'll be able to correct my 6 leaking Caps.. (2) 3300uF 10V, (1) 1000uF 10V, (1) 470uF 10V, & (2) 1000 uF 25V Capacitors are need for me. I'm assuming the bulging ones need to be replaced even if they are not leaking? There not hugely bulging, but the top of them sticks out slightly, it's not flat like all the others. I've got two that are slightly leaking @ the top. I'll report back if all goes well...or bad
post #19 of 204 Old 04-23-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Samsung computer monitors do this like crazy also. I fixed 3 of them for $5 worth of caps last week. The monitors usually begin by flashing very rapidly when coming out of sleep, then a few days/weeks later, go black.

Tony
post #20 of 204 Old 04-25-2010, 09:44 PM

Well I can confirm that replacing the Capacitors really does work. I had 6 bad caps as I explained above, and replaced every last one with new ones bought from that Digikey website (super fast delivery as well from them). I only replaced the leaky ones and the ones that were bulging.

I got my TV back to normal now..it does feel good too. I don't solder much but I managed to get it done. Just look at some solder tutorials on Youtube and you should be able to do it as well yourself. Take you time too.. Total cost was $6.00 for the Capacitors and $9 for the (30Watt) Soldering Tool from Radioshack. So $15 saved me hundreds of $$$ thanks to the great people here at AVSFORUM Thanks allot guys you're the best!!!!!
post #21 of 204 Old 05-03-2010, 01:47 PM

I signed up to the forum just to post a thanks for this thread. Last week my Vizio VP322 started acting strange clicking several times before finally turning on. And as was mentioned here, it died barely a week after that symptom first appeared. My father and I took the back panel apart and for $15 (That includes the price of a new soldering iron at 9.99) my vizio is back up and running. I am throughly surprised that this is all it took. Thank you for the picture and the guidance on how to do this. You guys saved me over $500.
Thanks,
Dan
post #22 of 204 Old 05-20-2010, 09:35 PM

Are there other potential reasons for the "Pop of Death"? I have a Vizio 50" plasma that has had some quirky issues lately--won't change input, won't turn off--but today my kids turned it on and said within a couple of minutes, there was a "pop" and the picture changed.

Undeterred, they kept playing the Wii until there were one or two more "pops" and the picture went out completely. (Did I say these were "my" kids? I meant they belonged to someone else...)

I've pulled off the back looking for the bad capacitors, but I don't see that any of them have blown open or are even bulging. Is there another easy to diagnose, hopefully easy and cheap to fix explanation?

Thank you.
post #23 of 204 Old 05-21-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjp444 View Post

I also had my vizio turn on and off then finally not turn on about two weeks ago. I read this thread and then took the back off my tv. i found only about 5 caps bulging. so i ordered from digikey and the parts arrived after a week (only $20 if include shipping). I bought a desoldering iron and a soldering iron from radioshack ($20 total) saw a video on youtube, and tv works like new!!!!! This probably saved me $200-$400 easily!!!!! AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
post #24 of 204 Old 05-22-2010, 07:41 PM

I guess everybody's finding this thread through google.
post #25 of 204 Old 05-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

It is like the Sony CRT TV repair thread, and will help many. This problem seems too early in the TV life cycle though.
post #26 of 204 Old 05-25-2010, 05:31 PM

I have the same problem as everybody else here. Mine starting blinking on and off over and over when you turned it on until it eventually died. Looks like I have 7 caps that are bulging (See picture), one is actually leaking out black stuff. I assume I just need to read the numbers on the side and order replacements for them and get a soldering tool at Radio Shack. I'll watch some videos and see if I can handle soldering. Should I replace the ones that are not bulging? Let me know if I'm on the right track and if I need to do anything else. I appreciate it very much!
Thanks,
Jason
post #27 of 204 Old 05-25-2010, 08:50 PM

@ jasnhrpr

replace all the ones that are bulging because those are the ones you really need to change to have it working. and the value of each capacitor is written right on them. i know u have to replace the five i changed for a fact the rest you just need to note down the value and go to www.digikey.com and order away .
good luck my friend !

@ oldskoolveedub for a fact you need to replace those 4 on the top right. the others look ok.

@ Google Search Your The best !
@ AVS Forum Thanks Everyone for helping me and everybody else that has found this thread !
post #28 of 204 Old 05-26-2010, 06:41 PM

ok, i went to do the order at digikey and i'm a little confused and need some help. I need to order (2) 1000uf 25v, (2) 470uf 10v, (1) 1000uf 10v, & (2) 3300uf 10v. I can find all of those no problem but the confusion is the other words after those numbers. I see on the one previously ordered some of the caps had Elect NHG Radial after the numbers and some had Elect FM Radial. How do I know which one is the right one for what I need? Does it matter? I'm a rookie at this so any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Jason
post #29 of 204 Old 05-28-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnhrpr View Post

ok, i went to do the order at digikey and i'm a little confused and need some help. I need to order (2) 1000uf 25v, (2) 470uf 10v, (1) 1000uf 10v, & (2) 3300uf 10v. I can find all of those no problem but the confusion is the other words after those numbers. I see on the one previously ordered some of the caps had Elect NHG Radial after the numbers and some had Elect FM Radial. How do I know which one is the right one for what I need? Does it matter? I'm a rookie at this so any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Jason

go to www.digikey.com and click "contact us" then in the top right of the screen click "Live Online Chat" and they will definitely help you. But the only one I got that said FM was the 3300µF 10V cap. All the other caps I got were the NHG Radial. So just do that as well and you should be fine.
post #30 of 204 Old 05-28-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
You want radial electrolytic capacitors. The physical size is listed as is the lead spacing. As long as the lead spacing is the same, it doesn't matter if the phys size is identical unless everything is tightly together. Get the right capacitance value, the voltage can be higher if nec. If there are several brands available, get the one with the longest life rating.

Tony
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page