post #5041 of 5062 Old 10-14-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwinner View Post

The problem here is not what I was seeing. My problem was that when frames got below some threshold of darkness (that is they got dark enough) all the pixels went off. This was noticeable because totally off is darker than the darkest dark in a real movie frame. It happened in the middle of a few movies if they had sufficiently dark night scenes and often in the end-title sequences that had "all black" frames between titles. For some reason the problem has gone away, I think. My guess is that an Oppo 93 firmware update fixed this problem and was the original source of it.

What movies, specifically? If you can point me to a time code in a movie I could try it on my two different Blu-ray players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 5062 Old 10-21-2012, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
2 years later and I still enjoy this television. It's been wonderful for me and my family. Watching Wrath of Kahn on Amazon hd and its still a great picture We have the 58" and after two years now wish for a bigger screen. That will come eventually but not for now.
mistaforty likes this.
post #5043 of 5062 Old 10-26-2012, 05:15 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

What movies, specifically? If you can point me to a time code in a movie I could try it on my two different Blu-ray players.

It's been too long ago and I am 65. It's amazing I remember I had the problem much less where and at what moment. These were on Netflix rentals and I don't have the disks to experiment with. So, I'm sorry, but I can't help on that. What you are most likely to find is a movie that has end titles with black frames between them as opposed to a continuous roll.
post #5044 of 5062 Old 11-04-2012, 10:06 AM

A Question about DLNA and various Firmware Releases

Since this appears to be "THE" PN5XB650 thread...

My set is a PN50B650, which I've happily owned for over three years now. It's used every day, often for more than 15 hours at a time - and has no visible imperfections or damage. In all that time, I've been afraid to risk flashing it to a newer firmware revision without knowing what I might gain or lose in the process. (Samsung didn't include any "release notes" I could find with their firmware revisions)

I have other Samsung DLNA devices, and have seen their standard player/renderer evolve over time to include some features I would like to have, but which my set lacks.

My Present PN50B650 Firmware is: T-CHEAUSC-1011.0

Specific to DLNA Playback:
  • Plays MKV files, but does not offer FF or REV (as it does in MP4 files)
  • Tools playback menu does not include "Playing Time" a GoTo via Direct Time Entry method
  • Some combinations of Audio (MP3?) do not work in AVI files
  • Has difficulty playing MP4 files over a certain Size (~2.2GB?) and / or Longer than 128 minutes (Inconsistent)
  • Only plays the first audio track of multi-track content - not selectable
  • Tools | Picture Size | menu options are only Original or Fit (No "Stretch" modes 1 or 2 as in newer Samsung Renderers)
  • Pause mode does not offer single-frame Step or Slow (or Reverse)
  • Media Play screens offer old "Horizontal" list of content, not 8-title per page view (or 10) as in newer players

So if you have one of these same sets, and are running a different firmware than I, please take a minute to comment about any differences you noticed, in particular those concerning playback of DLNA content.

Please be sure to include your Firmware revision and re-verify your set is a PN5XB650, not another earlier or later model.

Thank You
post #5045 of 5062 Old 11-04-2012, 02:57 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to set the sharpness lower than 0 in the service menu? That might not even be a valid question, so feel free to let me know if I'm a moron. I tried looking in the service manual, but it doesn't appear it is possible. I could be wrong, and so I'm posting here to verify. The reason for my inquiry? Lowering the sharpness to 0 has greatly reduced the moire effect on some patterns, and flicker on panning shots of stadium crowds (for example). The flicker is still there a little bit though. Other suggestions are welcome...
post #5046 of 5062 Old 11-05-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocrossmann View Post

Does anyone know if it is possible to set the sharpness lower than 0 in the service menu? That might not even be a valid question, so feel free to let me know if I'm a moron. I tried looking in the service manual, but it doesn't appear it is possible. I could be wrong, and so I'm posting here to verify. The reason for my inquiry? Lowering the sharpness to 0 has greatly reduced the moire effect on some patterns, and flicker on panning shots of stadium crowds (for example). The flicker is still there a little bit though. Other suggestions are welcome...
Assuming you're using the set's internal tuner - I think you could be seeing artifacts that result from viewing a 720p broadcast on a 1080 screen.

Next time you see it, hit INFO and note the source's resolution and post again.

BTW - I'm very interested in the service manual - where did you get it?
post #5047 of 5062 Old 11-05-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50BMG View Post

Assuming you're using the set's internal tuner - I think you could be seeing artifacts that result from viewing a 720p broadcast on a 1080 screen.
Next time you see it, hit INFO and note the source's resolution and post again.
BTW - I'm very interested in the service manual - where did you get it?

I use an HTPC, connected with HDMI, resolution is set to 1080p. Maybe what you describe is happening when my video card upscales 720p to 1080p or something similiar?

I got the service manual from this thread over a year ago. I suspect those links are dead now. It is 35mb, so PM me if you have a way for me to send it to you. Gmail is limited to 25mb.
post #5048 of 5062 Old 11-06-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocrossmann View Post

I use an HTPC, connected with HDMI, resolution is set to 1080p. Maybe what you describe is happening when my video card upscales 720p to 1080p or something similiar?
Yes, with that setup, I think the PC is the most likely place to look for settings to effect this. Without a lot more details on the PC and software it's using, I'm not sure how to advise you.

The obvious variable that hasn't been mentioned yet is the refresh rate. My set displays the resolution and refresh rate, both of which might be important to your issue. The display is capable of 1080p 60hz, but this isn't necessarily the best way to show your content.

See if that thinking takes you anywhere.

PM sent
post #5049 of 5062 Old 12-12-2012, 02:43 PM

hello everyone,

i have a PN58B650 and i hope someone can help me out on here, i was out of town and turned off the power to the entertainment system wile i was gone. came back powered everything back up did a couple things around the house before i turned the tv on and after about 10 mins of watching i now have a thin (about 1 pixel) vertical line running down the center of the screen which is extremely annoying and i would like to try and fix it before i shell out for another. does anyone have any tips or troubleshooting experience on the tv before i tear into it?
post #5050 of 5062 Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsquared View Post

hello everyone,
i have a PN58B650 and i hope someone can help me out on here, i was out of town and turned off the power to the entertainment system wile i was gone. came back powered everything back up did a couple things around the house before i turned the tv on and after about 10 mins of watching i now have a thin (about 1 pixel) vertical line running down the center of the screen which is extremely annoying and i would like to try and fix it before i shell out for another. does anyone have any tips or troubleshooting experience on the tv before i tear into it?

If you are using hdmi, I'd check the cables and re-seat them at both (all) ends. Does the line appear regardless of source? Does it go away or get worse after the TV is warmed up? If you run the screen sweeper, does that affect the problem either way?
post #5051 of 5062 Old 12-12-2012, 03:53 PM

i have tried multiple sources running off different hdmi cables (cable, and xbox) and it has still persisted i did not try to remove and reinsert them. diffrent colors affect it diffrently you can not see it in greens and some blues but very clearly in skin tones and it stays constant no mater the run time.
post #5052 of 5062 Old 12-12-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:

hello everyone,

Ha, check out my post:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1444770/strange-issue-that-i-am-not-positive-is-100-tv-related

I just posted about my issues yesterday. Sounds kinda similar.
post #5053 of 5062 Old 12-12-2012, 05:08 PM

somewhat similar, but not i have read that the thick band is caused by a poor connection from one of the ribbon cables and can be easily fixed by adjustment of said cable which would be at the top of the section which is faulty. the narrowness of the line (a pixel) and the adjustment to different colors is perplexing i am going to dunplug it tonight and wait 20 the re-energize it to see if its still there.
post #5054 of 5062 Old 12-12-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:

somewhat similar, but not i have read that the thick band is caused by a poor connection from one of the ribbon cables and can be easily fixed by adjustment of said cable which would be at the top of the section which is faulty. the narrowness of the line (a pixel) and the adjustment to different colors is perplexing i am going to dunplug it tonight and wait 20 the re-energize it to see if its still there.

When the tech came out to look at it, he said that it was a bad panel, he didn't even try adjusting any of the ribbon cables.
post #5055 of 5062 Old 04-21-2013, 01:18 AM

Liked: 12
So all of my hdmi inputs died! Nothing works! 1 of the components is dead too. What can i do? My warranty expired in August, and i cant replace the tv right now. Do they still have parts for it? Im guessing its the input board.
post #5056 of 5062 Old 09-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Not sure anyone is looking at this thread anymore but I thought I post here and maybe elsewhere.

I've had my 58" since May of 2009. I have loved it dearly even when I got some minor burn in(not IR) from my wife watching 4-5 hours a day of Fox 8 news..etc with their garish, ridiculously large logo.

Late last night I was watching and heard a pop and the video and audio turned off. I smelled a little burning in the back. All it has now is a constant clicking and blinking of the red light in the front and green light in the back.
All I know know is that it could be some popped or bulging capacitors on the power board to who knows what else.

Any ideas would be appreciated as I would like to DIY if I could. I hope you all are still enjoying your TV.

Is my TV worth anything as it now stands?
post #5057 of 5062 Old 09-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post

Not sure anyone is looking at this thread anymore but I thought I post here and maybe elsewhere.

I've had my 58" since May of 2009. I have loved it dearly even when I got some minor burn in(not IR) from my wife watching 4-5 hours a day of Fox 8 news..etc with their garish, ridiculously large logo.

Late last night I was watching and heard a pop and the video and audio turned off. I smelled a little burning in the back. All it has now is a constant clicking and blinking of the red light in the front and green light in the back.
All I know know is that it could be some popped or bulging capacitors on the power board to who knows what else.

Any ideas would be appreciated as I would like to DIY if I could. I hope you all are still enjoying your TV.

Is my TV worth anything as it now stands?

Well, I have a perfect set of electronics with a broken screen. Where do you live? wink.gif
post #5058 of 5062 Old 09-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

unfortunately I live in NE Ohio
post #5059 of 5062 Old 09-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post

unfortunately I life in NE Ohio

Figures, I'm from Canton, but have been out west about 35 years.
post #5060 of 5062 Old 09-22-2013, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

I can't send my set to you but maybe(depending on what I find out about mine) you can make a few bucks by sending the parts to me. I'm still researching and plan on calling Samsung and waste my time. Thanks for the idea.
post #5061 of 5062 Old 09-24-2013, 09:18 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straybeat View Post

Well, I have a perfect set of electronics with a broken screen. Where do you live? wink.gif
Id be interested in the input board. My hdmi inputs are all screwed up. I see my sat on all inputs!
post #5062 of 5062 Old 11-23-2013, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

My 58" is alive and well again. A repair company in Canton Oh called US Electronics replaced the main board, various fuses and parts in other locations and brought my TV back to life. All at the most reasonable cost of $250. They showed a passion for what they do and I highly recommend them.
crankerchick likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page