post #181 of 5062 Old 05-27-2009, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAMattD View Post

I have 2 questions:

1) How is the heat output? Does the TV get hot? Does it give off a lot of heat?

2) Anyone got any settings yet? There seem to be a lot of options so I figure you can dial things in pretty good with just the user-accessible menu options.

TV gets warm to touch but never hot. Mine has been on for about 24 hours in a row now since i opened it and it is not hot. My air may cut on a time or two more per day though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5062 Old 05-27-2009, 11:58 AM

I don't see a place to insert a picture. It asks for a link when i hit the insert image icon
post #183 of 5062 Old 05-27-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmic View Post

Have any of you B650 owners used the scrolling bars yet? Or viewed a white screen of some sort? See any pink?

The 50B650 I saw at BB the other day had pretty drastic pink vertical banding while on the scrolling bars screen. I really hope this is not the norm cause I want one! There's a chance it could have been reflections from the God-awful flood lights in the store...? The set was mounted up high, like 7-8ft. up.

Lots of pink, whites are terrible, everything else is outstanding.
post #184 of 5062 Old 05-27-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior668 View Post

@ whjeffs

Can you say something about the black level in a dark room?

good but not great. when the lights are out side bars are clearly lit up and do not ever disappear.
post #185 of 5062 Old 05-27-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmic View Post

I'm not being negative, I just want to know if this is an issue with the B650. The only two B650 I've seen (one in person, and one posted here) have had vertical banding on the scrolling bars screen.

I've got an A650 that I will be swapping for either the B650 or B850. Having more info on this will be vital to my decision for obvious reasons.

big time pink vertical banding on my pn58b650 on white scenes. This is not just being negative because it is very clear and distracting in certain scenes
post #186 of 5062 Old 05-27-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foss349 View Post

People, I have a B540 with a 2,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio, the B650 has a contrast ratio of 3,000,000 to 1. Should I take back my B540 and exchange it for a B650? I'm very happy with my B540, got it at Sams for $1900. Thanks

if you don't have pink whites or buzzing I would stick with what you have since you like it so much already.
post #187 of 5062 Old 05-27-2009, 12:28 PM

I recently bought a Sharp 120hz LCD that plain sucks for watching hockey. The screen couldn't refresh fast enough to keep up with the game.

Can anyone tell me if this would be a good TV for watching NHL games, and MotoGP races?
post #188 of 5062 Old 05-27-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex81 View Post

What I did for my PIP mode (well first here are the pieces in my setup)

Samsung 58b650 (of course)
AT&T Uverse Box
Xbox 360 w/HD-DVD Player
PS3
Yamaha RX-V557 Reciever

(not sure if you needed to know all that, but since you shared yours, I shared mine)

My uverse box is connected to the HDMI 1 port on the TV
My uverse box is also connected to the coaxial tuner input.

That is how I watch using the picture in picture. Then I can change the channel as needed on the box and see and hear the sound from the pip source.

WORKS PERFECTLY!!!!

So you used an HDMI output and the coax output on your cablebox. How do you watch 2 different channels on the pip then. Wouldnt both outputs have the same channel going out.
post #189 of 5062 Old 05-27-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenboy1 View Post

So you used an HDMI output and the coax output on your cablebox. How do you watch 2 different channels on the pip then. Wouldnt both outputs have the same channel going out.

I don't watch two different TV stations. I use it while I am playing my xbox 360. So I can play a game and have the NBA playoff on at the same time.
post #190 of 5062 Old 05-27-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorjdh View Post

big time pink vertical banding on my pn58b650 on white scenes. This is not just being negative because it is very clear and distracting in certain scenes

This makes me nervous damn it! Sorry Pastor...
post #191 of 5062 Old 05-27-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex81 View Post

I don't watch two different TV stations. I use it while I am playing my box 360. So I can play a game and have the NBA playoff on at the same time.

Yeah that makes sense now. I'm thinking about running a coax out of my VCR to the coax input on the TV and just use the VCR as the second input, so I can watch two different channels.
post #192 of 5062 Old 05-27-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanski View Post

Flashing? Wow never saw that anywhere.

The TOC is only a aesthetic design feature so it wouldn't be in the manual.

TOC sets the Sammies apart from most other displays and also helps with Wife Acceptance Factor AKA WAF for some.

Your time is precious and so is mine. I have spent too much of it here and on maker's websites reading before posting. Search for my posts...I'm no expert but I try to help and I think some questions are idiotic including some of my own.

This is what is says about TOC on the Samsung website:
"Make a statement with our exclusive SAMSUNG Touch of Color design. It features a hint of rich red color naturally blended into the traditional piano black frame. Transforming our already stylish TVs into a work of art for a look that complements any room." The TOC turns off some folks.

I wouldn't purchase any display without seeing it first and trying out the remote and checking out the settings and menu systems and even look at it's picture no matter what crappy setting it's in. It's too large of a purchase not to check out in person.

Joeskie I auditioned many dispalys before making any purchase. If you don't have that luxury where you live then I can understand. But still where did you get flashing?

It's nice that you are so understanding that others may not have the luxury of auditioning many displays. Also, nice that you continue to pick on others for their choice of what to call that ridiculous TOC.

By the way, I "auditioned" many sets. I appears that they are good actors - looking fabulous in their evening gowns at Best Buy, only to arrive in a housecoat and fuzzy bunny slippers in my living room.
post #193 of 5062 Old 05-28-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:

TOC sets the Sammies apart from most other displays and also helps with Wife Acceptance Factor AKA WAF for some.

Your time is precious and so is mine. I have spent too much of it here and on maker's websites reading before posting. Search for my posts...I'm no expert but I try to help and I think some questions are idiotic including some of my own.

"Make a statement with our exclusive SAMSUNG Touch of Color design. It features a hint of rich red color naturally blended into the traditional piano black frame. Transforming our already stylish TVs into a work of art for a look that complements any room." The TOC turns off some folks.

I wouldn't purchase any display without seeing it first and trying out the remote and checking out the settings and menu systems and even look at it's picture no matter what crappy setting it's in. It's too large of a purchase not to check out in person.

Joeskie I auditioned many dispalys before making any purchase. If you don't have that luxury where you live then I can understand. But still where did you get flashing?

What exactly is this website? I am fairly new to this site and would like to learn more?
post #194 of 5062 Old 05-28-2009, 07:31 AM

Why is it I only hear of this pink issue with the B650? Doesn't it have the same panel as the B850/B860?
post #195 of 5062 Old 05-28-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:

I haven't noticed this in the store for a B550, B650 or B860. But what is this rolling bar screen? What do I need to do in the store to see this pink issues?
post #196 of 5062 Old 05-28-2009, 10:05 AM

I wrote Samsung about the Pink Banding and they had the courage to write back this email. I assume they would not mind the world seeing it.

Thank you for submitting your inquiry to Samsung.

The pink color is the result of a coating on the safety glass to reduce the glare, it’s a characteristic for all our Plasma Models.
post #197 of 5062 Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 AM

I wonder why many only see it if the entire screen in white?
post #198 of 5062 Old 05-28-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 38
yes and some of us have never seen it

Matt
post #199 of 5062 Old 05-28-2009, 11:18 AM

I have the 50B650 and I wnat to comment on 2 things.

1. The B series 650, 850, and 860 have the FilterBright coating that has PINK color to it. Its used to help with reflections. You can see it in the sunlight. I hope you guys that are complaining about the pink are not mistaking the coating. I have NO pink banding on this TV.

2. When you call Samsung and complain about a problem about your TV it is common for them to order parts based on what you say is wrong with the TV.
post #200 of 5062 Old 05-28-2009, 12:50 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

http://www.televisions.com/Images/Ne...ide_insert.jpg
This is the flashing I was talking about. Much more apparent then it is at my house.

I do have the "luxury" (really, that's what you call a luxury?) of seeing TV's in stores. But I don't care enough. I come here, gather the info, which is much better then the 'makers' info or best buys info. So take it as a compliment to the people who make this website so great. I trust their info and if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Good to know that your time is so precious. Sorry that I took part of it. Really, don't respond to this post, or this thread. I understand how valuable your time is.

I didn't think I came on the Bill Maher show.

By the way, what's WAF? Whipped?
post #201 of 5062 Old 05-28-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkevinli View Post

I have the 50B650 and I wnat to comment on 2 things.

1. The B series 650, 850, and 860 have the FilterBright coating that has PINK color to it. Its used to help with reflections. You can see it in the sunlight. I hope you guys that are complaining about the pink are not mistaking the coating. I have NO pink banding on this TV.

2. When you call Samsung and complain about a problem about your TV it is common for them to order parts based on what you say is wrong with the TV.

Well, I've finally figured out that it was the tech and not Samsung who ordered my parts. The parts are on back order with no e.t.a.. I still find it strange that a mainboard and logic board were ordered for IR.. I have until Tuesday to decided if I want to keep this television. After dealing with many unfriendly Samsung customer service people (I did finally find a helpful person) I am not sure I want a Samsung. Am thinking about switching to the Panasonic G10. My only issue with that is the flicker at 24fps. I'm wondering if I'll notice a drop in quality with that available?
post #202 of 5062 Old 05-28-2009, 12:54 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by speckgreen View Post

Well, I've finally figured out that it was the tech and not Samsung who ordered my parts. The parts are on back order with no e.t.a.. I still find it strange that a mainboard and logic board were ordered for IR.. I have until Tuesday to decided if I want to keep this television. After dealing with many unfriendly Samsung customer service people (I did finally find a helpful person) I am not sure I want a Samsung. Am thinking about switching to the Panasonic G10. My only issue with that is the flicker at 24fps. I'm wondering if I'll notice a drop in quality with that available?

My question to you - Do you notice improvement when cinema smooth is enabled? If you do, you make regret going with the G10.
post #203 of 5062 Old 05-28-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeskie View Post

My question to you - Do you notice improvement when cinema smooth is enabled? If you do, you make regret going with the G10.

Right! Good point, I need to watch without the cinema smooth. As obvious as that sounds I didn't even think of it. Guess that's why I come on here. My anger with the way some Samsung customer service reps have treated me has clouded my judgement.
post #204 of 5062 Old 05-28-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I have responded to both of these guys harshly and unfairly.
I sincerely apologize to you both.

I will now make sure that I take my pills in the future.

Moving on.

I will be around...Samsung sent me >>>>2<<<< 58650Bs that I will receive tomorrow to replace my pink plagued A model. I get to pick one.
post #205 of 5062 Old 05-28-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lots of pink, whites are terrible, everything else is outstanding.

Pastor, if you have lots of pink during normal viewing you may have a defective panel.
This is a known issue with the A series.
Some folks don't mind it because these plasmas otherwise have an awesome picture.
Samsung has replaced 2 panels on 2 different tvs all told 5 different panels in my home including the original purchase with the pink issue all verified by the local Samsung "Field Engineer".
I now have 2 "B" models (a mistake by Samsung) being delivered tomorrow that I can choose from to correct this issue.
You may want to register your TV and get a ticket going.

PS: It's not the anti-glare because the areas affected were different on ALL panels I have seen and besides that if it were the anti-glare coating, the problem should still be not acceptable from a consumers point of view.
post #206 of 5062 Old 05-28-2009, 08:27 PM

I wrote Samsung about the Pink Banding and they had the courage to write back this email. I assume they would not mind the world seeing it.

Thank you for submitting your inquiry to Samsung.

The pink color is the result of a coating on the safety glass to reduce the glare, it’s a characteristic for all our Plasma Models.
post #207 of 5062 Old 05-28-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:

I have responded to both of these guys harshly and unfairly.
I sincerely apologize to you both.

I will now make sure that I take my pills in the future.

Moving on.

I will be around...Samsung sent me >>>>2<<<< 58650Bs that I will receive tomorrow to replace my pink plagued A model. I get to pick one.

Thanks, appreciate it! Okay, I am very interested to find out if you have instant IR on this set. For instance, tonight I watched a movie called Powder Blue. The title of the movie was up for one - two minutes on the screen before I pressed play. Then I could see Powder Blue for the next 20 minutes in dark scenes on the lower side of the panel. I just don't think this is normal. So, I have until Tuesday to return this set. It's my first plasma (I love everything else about it) and I really don't know what to do.

Advice please!
post #208 of 5062 Old 05-28-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmy999 View Post

I wonder why many only see it if the entire screen in white?

I think many only see it when the screen is white because it is not easy to see unless the screen is white but once you see it then it is hard to watch snowy scene, look at clear skies or use it as a computer monitor without it being exaggerated in your mind. I think i can try to stop thinking about it and eventually it will not bother me. It's just that after spending a few thousand dollars it is easy to be too picky. The TV is great besides the pink banding. The reason I call it banding is because it shows up in large vertical bands about 7 or 8 inches wide from top to about 3 or 5 inches from the bottom. The bottom and sides seem to be pure white. I bought mine from Socket 2 You and it was the best online shopping experience i think i have ever had. They are great and the price was well under everyone's even the scammers.
post #209 of 5062 Old 05-28-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:

Pastor, if you have lots of pink during normal viewing you may have a defective panel.
This is a known issue with the A series.
Some folks don't mind it because these plasmas otherwise have an awesome picture.
Samsung has replaced 2 panels on 2 different tvs all told 5 different panels in my home including the original purchase with the pink issue all verified by the local Samsung "Field Engineer".
I now have 2 "B" models (a mistake by Samsung) being delivered tomorrow that I can choose from to correct this issue.
You may want to register your TV and get a ticket going.

PS: It's not the anti-glare because the areas affected were different on ALL panels I have seen and besides that if it were the anti-glare coating, the problem should still be not acceptable from a consumers point of view.

Thanks Nolanski, I agree that they need to fix this issue. I am sure it will eventually hurt their sales and they will find a solution if we keep it in theirs and other's ears. Thankfully I cannot really see it during normal viewing unless the sky is panned or the movie is in snowy mountains. I can live with it and once I get the set broken in a little I will crank up the contrast a little more which seems to combat it some. I am watching a PBS HD special right now on Sea Lions and Seals and it looks fantastic and the blacks and whites look fine. I am already trying not to look for pink! I think i can, I think i can...
post #210 of 5062 Old 05-28-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speckgreen View Post

Thanks, appreciate it! Okay, I am very interested to find out if you have instant IR on this set. For instance, tonight I watched a movie called Powder Blue. The title of the movie was up for one - two minutes on the screen before I pressed play. Then I could see Powder Blue for the next 20 minutes in dark scenes on the lower side of the panel. I just don't think this is normal. So, I have until Tuesday to return this set. It's my first plasma (I love everything else about it) and I really don't know what to do.

Advice please!

Use your tools to wipe it out, the scrolling bars work good. Use the break in dvd while not watching it and this should help out and as time progresses it should become less. I saw a little here and there but it always goes away soon and is only when I am using something that is very strong in contrast. Plasma is awesome but all technologies have their little quirks. The viewing angels alone make it so much better than current LCD's. I love the LCD's head on but other that that they degrade or glare at you. I have an open floor plan that I can move around in and see the tv from two living rooms and my kitchen so the large Plasma is a must
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page