Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 5062 Old 10-01-2009, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrol View Post

I have horizontal banding on mine. Mainly on plain white screens with text. It seems to have gotten much better since I started using Hudaman's settings.

Mine is more circular.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 5062 Old 10-03-2009, 08:10 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by milin_im View Post

Can you elaborate more on the cal-day and cal-night modes?

**EDIT**

Nevermind, I just enabled them in the service menu. Is there any difference between those modes and movie mode?

What should I enable in service menu? Which option? I have B650.

post #2343 of 5062 Old 10-03-2009, 10:43 AM

Liked: 10
I think this problem is the HDMI cable I used. I bought two Rocketfish HDMI cables which I believe is Best Buy's store brand and I see this problem with both cables. When I use a different type of cable I don't have the problem.
post #2344 of 5062 Old 10-03-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymalya View Post

What should I enable in service menu? Which option? I have B650.

While in the service menu go to "expert" (I don't remember if it was expert exactly), and inside there's something like "N/D ..." that is off, just change it to on and turn off the tv. That's the only option available inside "expert", if not then that's not it.
post #2345 of 5062 Old 10-03-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milin_im View Post

While in the service menu go to "expert" (I don't remember if it was expert exactly), and inside there's something like "N/D ..." that is off, just change it to on and turn off the tv. That's the only option available inside "expert", if not then that's not it.

thanks milin

post #2346 of 5062 Old 10-04-2009, 06:54 PM

Ok Guys, sorry for the absolutely horrid pq of these shots, but I finally got a monitor up here to do some testing on input lag: hopefully some of this will be of assistance.

Setup:

DVI to HDMI cable to Samsung PN50B650
DVI to VGA adapter to Compaq CRT

(edit: when I connected the CRT to my computer, I could never get the Samsung to display full screen. With the CRT disconnected, then 1920x1080 takes up the full screen. kindof odd and hopefully this didnt throw off the tests)

The pics can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cleh19/sets/

So i think the input lag was something like:

Game Mode Off: Normal = 100ms (between 80-110ish?)
Game Mode On: Normal = 30ms (up to 50ms)

If anyone has any requests, or recommendations for better pics/testing (whoops) please let me know.
post #2347 of 5062 Old 10-05-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleh19 View Post

Ok Guys, sorry for the absolutely horrid pq of these shots, but I finally got a monitor up here to do some testing on input lag: hopefully some of this will be of assistance.

Setup:

DVI to HDMI cable to Samsung PN50B650
DVI to VGA adapter to Compaq CRT

(edit: when I connected the CRT to my computer, I could never get the Samsung to display full screen. With the CRT disconnected, then 1920x1080 takes up the full screen. kindof odd and hopefully this didnt throw off the tests)

The pics can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cleh19/sets/

So i think the input lag was something like:

Game Mode Off: Normal = 100ms (between 80-110ish?)
Game Mode On: Normal = 30ms (up to 50ms)

If anyone has any requests, or recommendations for better pics/testing (whoops) please let me know.

Congrats cleh, you are officially the man. No, you are the ****ING man, man. Thanks for finally testing this display.

You should post this in the plasma input lag thread too :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1166196
post #2348 of 5062 Old 10-05-2009, 01:55 PM

Can someone post a calibration setting?
post #2349 of 5062 Old 10-05-2009, 05:29 PM

So, I just bought the 58B650 and I get it tomorrow. I'm super afraid of all the buzz about the BUZZ (see what I did there? Nice.. lol) that may occur in this TV. Anyways, if I get the TV, before the delivery truck leaves, is there a specific manufactured date I should be looking for to know if this issue is resolved on my particular set??
post #2350 of 5062 Old 10-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

This set I have to look at tomorrow.
post #2351 of 5062 Old 10-05-2009, 11:13 PM

As a new member of the Sammy PN50B650 family, I was looking for more information on "What the heck do I do now?"

And man, have I found the right place- the information on these forums is amazing, but really overwhelming! I'm way out of my pay grade here.

So, here are my questions (before it's even out of the box):

What do I need to know about break-in? How many hours, what settings during that time, are using "slides" absolutely necessary, etc. I've read a lot of information, and it's all running together...

Second area of inquisition- What are firmware updates, and how do I go about getting them?

Final question- Any preferred vendors for "gear"- LinkStick, HDMI cables, etc? I want to support the folks who make this type of forum available.

Thanks in advance for the help- Sorry for being such a n00b.
post #2352 of 5062 Old 10-05-2009, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
It'll have to be your call on the break in issue. I did not break in my 50A650 and have a fair amount of IR. It's gone quickly but it''s there. I did break in my Panny 42X1 and have no IR, but that may be due to the Panny design rather than the break in. My feeling is it can't hurt to break in, so why not.

Cables and brackets Monoprice is the place, but they are sold out of a lot of things at the moment. But if they have what you want, you can't beat the price.

As for firmware, I'm in the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" group. If everything is fine now leave it as is unless there is an overwhelming reason to update.

So, sit back and enjoy your purchase for a while then come back and start tweaking!
post #2353 of 5062 Old 10-06-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko12332 View Post

Hey Guys,
Broken record here... I am just depressed... Saved up for some time and finally got my Samsung PN58B650. The buzzing though, the buzzing... Just too much for me - The problem these days is we just accept stuff the way it is now, I can't let technology own me, we all work hard and want peace in the cave... I'm just sad about this and will ship back, most likely go with an LCD set.

My question is, has anyone replaced their plasma with an LCD model strictly due to the buzzing? If so what LCD did you get?

Also, I have checked out a few LCD's and I can't hear any component sounds but maybe other folks have?

Thanks everyone, just had to let it out a bit --

I recently bought a Samsung PN63b550 from the local Fry's, knowing about the risk of getting a buzzer and counting on their return policy.

The first set had a small, acceptable buzz level, but 3 of the HDMI ports were flaking out on 1080P. Got a replacement set, and this one is buzzing at an unacceptable level (it would drive me insane if I kept the set). I'll be returning the set and likely give up on plasma.

I already own 2 Samsung LCDs (46" and 52"), and they are quiet as mice. I really had my heart set on a larger screen size for my media room, but now I'm thinking of get a 55" LCD.
post #2354 of 5062 Old 10-06-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig66 View Post

I recently bought a Samsung PN63b550 from the local Fry's, knowing about the risk of getting a buzzer and counting on their return policy.

The first set had a small, acceptable buzz level, but 3 of the HDMI ports were flaking out on 1080P. Got a replacement set, and this one is buzzing at an unacceptable level (it would drive me insane if I kept the set). I'll be returning the set and likely give up on plasma.

I already own 2 Samsung LCDs (46" and 52"), and they are quiet as mice. I really had my heart set on a larger screen size for my media room, but now I'm thinking of get a 55" LCD.

i would give up on samsung plasma, but not plasma in general. don't care for panny's?

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #2355 of 5062 Old 10-06-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstra54 View Post

As a new member of the Sammy PN50B650 family, I was looking for more information on "What the heck do I do now?"

Just turn it on put on your favorite movie and enjoy it. I'm not sure what else you would do with a tv.
post #2356 of 5062 Old 10-06-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

It'll have to be your call on the break in issue. I did not break in my 50A650 and have a fair amount of IR. It's gone quickly but it''s there. I did break in my Panny 42X1 and have no IR, but that may be due to the Panny design rather than the break in. My feeling is it can't hurt to break in, so why not.

So, sit back and enjoy your purchase for a while then come back and start tweaking!

Great! Thanks for the input- so where do I learn how to do the break in?
post #2357 of 5062 Old 10-06-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy714 View Post

Alright well Samsung came out today, checked it out and agreed that the IR wasn't normal. SO they took the TV apart, and replaced the middle chip in it and said that might fix the problem - can't say if it did or not because the guy said it might take some hours of use before any noticeable change. I'm doubtful that it's going to do anything though, so if it is just as bad all I gotta do is call 'em back and they'll be issuing me out a new panel and I'll go from there.

Thanks for the update Dizzy, good to know this may be correctable without a panel swap.
post #2358 of 5062 Old 10-06-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstra54 View Post

Great! Thanks for the input- so where do I learn how to do the break in?

IMO you don't need to do anything special during break in. Just keep your settings down and avoid watching anything for a long time that has a static image. Also if watching broadcast material that is in 4:3 mode use widescreen.

I have had my 58 since January and I did not run a special "break in disc" or anything, just a bit of common sense.
post #2359 of 5062 Old 10-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

I was just at BB comparing this set to the Panasonic S1. This set was definately too black and lacked shadow detail. They were showing a demo of the BMW Z4 and there was a part where a guy is drawing with his hands, there was a clump of black ink/paint next to his hands. The clump was on a black background, you couldn't see it on this set but you could on the S1. Also other scenes showcasing some country starlet in a dark room you could make out more things in the dark background on the S1, while they were blacked out on this set. The color is more vibrant (I saw red push)on this set though, at times too vibrant, all these things mentioned I think you can adjust so that you still have the deep blacks, and an accurate picture. Lastly I think this set doesn't handle motion quite as well as the Panasonic.

In all out of the box the Panasonic gives you a better picture, but I think due to the Sammy's more laidout options to adjust the picture, once you do so, it will at least definately have deeper blacks than the Panasonic and overall PQ will be pretty close. I think really going with either wouldn't be a bad choice, also the Sammy design is more attractive.
post #2360 of 5062 Old 10-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicks View Post

I was just at BB comparing this set to the Panasonic S1. This set was definately too black and lacked shadow detail. They were showing a demo of the BMW Z4 and there was a part where a guy is drawing with his hands, there was a clump of black ink/paint next to his hands. The clump was on a black background, you couldn't see it on this set but you could on the S1. Also other scenes showcasing some country starlet in a dark room you could make out more things in the dark background on the S1, while they were blacked out on this set. The color is more vibrant (I saw red push)on this set though, at times too vibrant, all these things mentioned I think you can adjust so that you still have the deep blacks, and an accurate picture. Lastly I think this set doesn't handle motion quite as well as the Panasonic.

In all out of the box the Panasonic gives you a better picture, but I think due to the Sammy's more laidout options to adjust the picture, once you do so, it will at least definately have deeper blacks than the Panasonic and overall PQ will be pretty close. I think really going with either wouldn't be a bad choice, also the Sammy design is more attractive.

Do you know what the settings were for each of the sets, or was it just on the settings that Best Buy had picked for them? Neither set is going to look it's best on the showroom, and BB (along with other retailers) is almost certainly going to put the set on Dynamic or Standard Color, with the Cool or Normal color setting, which will destroy that the Samsung can do, just like the settings they would choose for the Panny won't make it look good.

I'd go to both threads, find basic settings you can chance that most people agree on (So, probably Warm 2 with Movie for the Samsung), and then give them a bit of comparison. It's unfortunate that BB and other showrooms have them setup so incorrectly, but if you let the salesperson know that there is no chance you will buy a TV unless you can adjust the menu settings, they'll usually get the remote for you. They can change it back as soon as you are done.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #2361 of 5062 Old 10-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

Do you know what the settings were for each of the sets, or was it just on the settings that Best Buy had picked for them? Neither set is going to look it's best on the showroom, and BB (along with other retailers) is almost certainly going to put the set on Dynamic or Standard Color, with the Cool or Normal color setting, which will destroy that the Samsung can do, just like the settings they would choose for the Panny won't make it look good.

I'd go to both threads, find basic settings you can chance that most people agree on (So, probably Warm 2 with Movie for the Samsung), and then give them a bit of comparison. It's unfortunate that BB and other showrooms have them setup so incorrectly, but if you let the salesperson know that there is no chance you will buy a TV unless you can adjust the menu settings, they'll usually get the remote for you. They can change it back as soon as you are done.

The got me the remote and I changed the picture settings. Note that I said I switched only the standard (dynamic,standard,movie,custom etc....) settings. So the Sammy standard compared to the Panny's standard and so forth.
post #2362 of 5062 Old 10-06-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWhiteTHC View Post

Thanks for the update Dizzy, good to know this may be correctable without a panel swap.

Actually bad news =/ When I made my post stating that it seems to have cleared up, I must of had some glare in my room that was reducing the site of IR. At night it was just as bad, so Samsung is coming tomorrow once again and they'll be issuing me a new panel. I'm crossing my fingers that the new panel gives me ****** IR as well, and then the one more after that as well - then I'll get my refund an go with the Panny G10 instead. I like the idea of the G10's input lag hitting the same numbers of the 650's Game Mode on with the G10's off.
post #2363 of 5062 Old 10-06-2009, 10:04 PM

hello all, not sure if I read it on this thread but has anyone had there "Cal-Night and Cal-Day" turned on. If so does the black tone and dynamic contrast work with those menu settings. I have the B450 and turned those on in the Service Menu but the black tone and dynamic contrast doesnt work with those, so was wondering if it was normal or not, thank you in advance.
post #2364 of 5062 Old 10-07-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanpol View Post

hello all, not sure if I read it on this thread but has anyone had there "Cal-Night and Cal-Day" turned on. If so does the black tone and dynamic contrast work with those menu settings. I have the B450 and turned those on in the Service Menu but the black tone and dynamic contrast doesnt work with those, so was wondering if it was normal or not, thank you in advance.

All of my settings work as normal with these two enabled.
post #2365 of 5062 Old 10-07-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy714 View Post

I'm crossing my fingers that the new panel gives me ****** IR as well, and then the one more after that as well - then I'll get my refund an go with the Panny G10 instead. I like the idea of the G10's input lag hitting the same numbers of the 650's Game Mode on with the G10's off.

Why dont you just leave it in the box and sell it if you want the G that bad?
post #2366 of 5062 Old 10-07-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeonus View Post

All of my settings work as normal with these two enabled.

Could you do me a favor a goto Cal-night and cal-day and see if the black tone and dynamic contrast work in those 2 modes, thanks
post #2367 of 5062 Old 10-07-2009, 05:03 PM

I just got my 58" B650. Simply amazing. No Buzz! It's an awesome TV! So glad I got this one instead of the Panny.
post #2368 of 5062 Old 10-07-2009, 07:19 PM

Today was a nightmare. So Samsung came in again today, I open the door and the same oriental guy that doesn't speak English who came last time walked in - and another oriental who was barely able to speak English came in behind him. Last time there was a white guy with him, and he was pretty cool. Anyways, the oriental guy did anything he possibly could to tell me that he doesn't see my problem and state that the problem I submitted isn't a problem - he literally does not understand the difference between IR and burn-in. Because the IR was whiped clean while running the scrolling feature, he persisted that there isn't a problem. And I explained to him that burn-in is NOT my problem, it's the rapid IR that I get from a still image remained on my screen for more than 15 seconds - I had to repeat myself at least 10 times. We then proceeded to remove my TV from the mount, which I was gripping my teeth throughout the entire process because I didn't trust either of these guys. They opened up the TV, and decided to adjust the voltage I guess - it was at 207 and he dumbed it down to 195, I don't see what he was trying to accomplish here but that's what he did. Then he ran some full screen pictures on my TV for a few minutes and put his face up to the screen while a black image was up and looked at me and said, "see, it's gone" - which lead me to have to repeat myself ANOTHER time. He finally got the point that I wasn't going to settle with his opinion, so he was telling me that he's going to have to take my TV to the warehouse for inspection and that I will be out of a TV for weeks with no replacement - and I was not about to let him do that, so I argued against that as well. He said he was going to talk to his boss and see if I can just get a new panel issued out to me. After this discussion he continued fiddling with the TV off it's mount, then began laying the TV down on it's face with my HDMI cable plugged into it while it was already at it's full stretch - snap, broke the HDMI port - and totally ignored me raising my voice while he began tilting the TV down to lay it on it's face. As soon as they left I called the local number that they've been calling me off of, spoke with the same guy I always happen to speak with calling/getting a call from that number - he's a cool dude. Anyways, told him about how moronic these guys were and he sincerely apologized about it, also said that them telling me they were going to take my TV with them and get it inspected at a warehouse for weeks was total BS and wasn't sure why they even brought that up - the only time they do that is if there's multiple problems with the TV I guess. So finally, he's sending the assistant manager out on Saturday to deal with my IR problem - and also fix the HDMI port the oriental guy broke.
post #2369 of 5062 Old 10-07-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaforty View Post

Why dont you just leave it in the box and sell it if you want the G that bad?

Because I'm not willing to take a money loss hit. I purchased the 4 year BB warranty for it as well - selling the unit wouldn't provide me the extra bills that I paid for the warranty. Also, I financed it - and haven't quite paid it off yet.
post #2370 of 5062 Old 10-08-2009, 06:56 AM

Just curious, what is the Cal-Night, Cal-Day stuff people keep referring to?

Are these service menu only changes and what do they do?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page