09 Samsung B series "buzz" thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 116 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: does yours buzz and do you care
it buzzes and it bothers me at my main viewing location 0 0%
it buzzes slightly, not noticeable at my main viewing location, not worried 0 0%
sometimes i hear a buzzing at my main viewing location, sometimes i don't, not worried 0 0%
it does not buzz at all 0 0%
other, please describe 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #3451 of 3454 Old 03-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oddly enough, I was looking @ a new receiver & the sales guy who sold me the Samsund plasma showed me about 8 TVs in the warehouse that have been returned since Christmas, mostly Samsung plasmas for noise issues. Only 1 was an LED & 1 was an LG.

Go figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3454 Old 01-17-2012, 08:44 PM

My 63" buzzer recently got louder and louder, to the point where I couldn't concentrate on dialogue anymore. In addition the buzz came through my speakers via my Denon receiver; it got so bad I could no longer use the surround sound. I tried EVERYTHING, including power conditioners, special grounding, EMI shielding, acoustic foam on walls, etc. and a whole bunch of other stuff to no avail. 2 year old TV, and I'm about to drag it to the curb. Had a repair guy come out. He said Y board, but the boss said to replace entire panel (which comes with X and Y and daughter boards). $1200. He told me not to do it! Get a new TV, with warranty... or call Samsung and complain. So I called them, explained the situation and they agreed it was not acceptable. Gave me a 90 day warranty and agreed to pay for all repair work!! I was stunned!!! I didn't expect that at all. So the repair guy ordered the parts and came and swapped the panel last Saturday. Wow, what a job. Most of the guts of the TV are brand new now. The new boards looked nearly identical to the old ones, but I did find a few differences - a coil that is thicker and has a different number... stuff like that. The TV is now SILENT!!! Sure there's some normal plasma noises if you put your ear to the back, but nothing like it was. In fact it is much quieter than when it was brand new. And the picture is insane... I'm in love with my TV once again.

Sorry to update an old thread, but I thought this was important to share. My theory is these TVs don't have any active cooling, and may have received panels that draw more current than they were supposed to. So over time they cook themselves to death; the components loosen up, coils loosen, and it vibrate more than it should. Oh yah - my Denon is back to being silent... no buzz through speakers. I'm gonna assumed it was EMI leaking from the TV, and now there's none. Who knows, but life is good again. Samsung did a good thing for me. I won't hesitate to buy another one, especially since it seems they worked out the kinks on this model and didn't abandon it.
post #3453 of 3454 Old 01-19-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
That's good to know. My 63" is still buzzing, but it's not all that loud - only occasionally annoying. My next display probably won't be a plasma due to the excessive heat dissipation. I'll re-evaluate when it's time to replace.
post #3454 of 3454 Old 02-13-2012, 07:59 PM

Thought I would post this after endlessly searching the net for a solution to this problem... I am not claiming this is the solution by any means, but it stopped my annoying buzz...

I took the back cover off my PN50B860 and listened carefully to the source of the buzzing.. It seemed to be coming from the upper right corner (when looking at the screen side).. The board that has the warnings written on it "High Voltage" was naturally the first place I started poking around WITH A PLASTIC KNIFE!!.. When I touched the uppermost ribbon cable the buzz went away.. It seems that the cable is touching the metal frame of the TV.. Once I had a little separation the buzz was gone. I simply stuck a non conductive hypoallergenic super synthetic spacer in between the cable and the frame (A piece of self adhesive Velcro, the soft side).. Fixed.

This may not be the answer for everyone.. But it might be worth a look. Just be EXTREMELY careful poking around in your TV for obvious reasons.

I have photos of the fix, but the forum image size limit and not having any photo editing software is a bummer!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page