Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3219 Old 05-25-2009, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpert View Post

It seems that, from what I've been reading, if someone doesn't need all the 850/860 have to offer (media 2.0, more calibration options, etc.) they have been going for the B650.

No the 6 series and 8 series are the same except the 8 series is thinner and has a darker AR coating, if you don't need all the fancy net stuff you can go with the 5-series I believe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3219 Old 05-26-2009, 05:39 AM

Liked: 10
I picked up a PN58B850 this weekend (the deal was just too good to pass up) It does really sucks that Samsung won't sell the 860 here in Canada.
The Canadian 850 is no different than the U.S. 850 in that Cinema Smooth is not mentioned anywhere on the box or the TV, It's only mentioned in the manual where it specifies Cinema Smooth is available on the 860 only; although I did go into the Service menu and turn 24x4 on.
The Sammy is replacing a 5 year old 50Sony GWIII.
My first impressions are that the picture (blu-ray specifically) is absolutely stunning, the color, clarity and detail are amazing .
The TV is hung flat on the wall and I find reflections are a bit annoying until the sun goes down, I have a number of windows along one wall and even with the blinds closed it's distracting.
I've already made a big mistake, after only 5 hrs of use I was foolish enough to watch a movie on my new TV and the black bars (top and bottom) were burned in.
When watching full screen content you have to look REALLY hard to find it and maybe because I'm obsessing over it I do think I see it occasionally.
I've been running the scrolling bars to try and fix this burn in problem and even while watching the scrolling bars pass right to left I have to look to see the burn in.
While running the scrolling bars I have noticed one other major issue and that is a pink band across the very bottom of the screen it's around ½ to 1 inch wide and more pronounced just above the Samsung logo (center of the screen).
I find it's only noticeable on white so I saw it a lot while watching the season finally of Gray's Anatomy (too many white lab coats).

Now some questions:
I have the TV set to movie mode (warm2).
How do I prevent any more burn in, yes for the next 200+ hrs I will try to stretch or zoom (if needed) any content that doesn't fill the screen (if the TV, PVR or Blu-Ray will let me) what else can I do?
Although my speakers are shielded will magnetic fields affect a plasma screen?
Should I (do I really need to) put the Ferrite magnets that came with the TV on the power cable (and the Ethernet cable), my HDMI already has one?

Thanx
post #273 of 3219 Old 05-26-2009, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAMattD View Post

No the 6 series and 8 series are the same except the 8 series is thinner and has a darker AR coating, if you don't need all the fancy net stuff you can go with the 5-series I believe.

Is this accurate? What about user menus for calibration? Are the B5xx series the same as the b6xx or 8xx series? (I'm mainly here looking for extra calibration menus allowing gamma and/or primary/secondary colour calibrations (RGB/CMY).

Or does the b8xx series not even provide that level of user menu calibration?
post #274 of 3219 Old 05-26-2009, 06:57 AM
noc

I bought the 850 at Best Buy on May 12th. Went in looking for it, first sales person had never heard of it, wasn't on display. A second sales person came up to me later and said he thinks they may have it, just not on display. He went into the computer and said, yes, we have one in stock. I bought it "sight unseen" for $2299. Last week, a flyer from Samsung drops out of my USA Today showing a $200 sale on the 850 and other sets. Plus, a free USB wireless stick by mail. I take my receipt back to Best Buy to see about a credit. After a little back and forth with the return desk clerk, the store manager comes over. He looks at the flyer and says "let's return it, re-ring it up for $200 less and then you'll have a receipt showing a date between May 24 - June 6 so you can get the USB wireless stick from Samsung." Nice!

By the way, the set is magnificent. After a few days of consternation trying to get the internet@tv working, all is good. Once online, was able to download a firmware upgrade. That gave me two settings for Cinema Smooth: 1 & 2. Not sure what the difference is, but I turned on Cinema Smooth 1.

Does anyone know if there will be more widgets? Also, how do I get Netflix and/or youtube on this thing via the web?
post #275 of 3219 Old 05-26-2009, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Cinema smooth came in through a firmware upgrade without going into service menu?

Matt
post #276 of 3219 Old 05-26-2009, 07:05 AM
noc

yeah. it's now in the picture settings menu.
post #277 of 3219 Old 05-26-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Cinema smooth came in through a firmware upgrade without going into service menu?

That would be very good news. I can pick up the 850 locally but not the 860, plus saves $100
post #278 of 3219 Old 05-26-2009, 08:58 AM

Hello I bought a PN50B860 and it is BUZZING like a crazy. Is this normal? I can hear it 10 feet away. Anyone else having this issue? Will it go away after break-in? Power conditioner help? What is the blinking light on the back?

Please answer as many of these as you can!

Thanks
post #279 of 3219 Old 05-26-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:

@noc
Some Interesting Info on 850 Purchase

I bought the 850 at Best Buy on May 12th. Went in looking for it, first sales person had never heard of it, wasn't on display. A second sales person came up to me later and said he thinks they may have it, just not on display. He went into the computer and said, yes, we have one in stock. I bought it "sight unseen" for $2299. Last week, a flyer from Samsung drops out of my USA Today showing a $200 sale on the 850 and other sets. Plus, a free USB wireless stick by mail. I take my receipt back to Best Buy to see about a credit. After a little back and forth with the return desk clerk, the store manager comes over. He looks at the flyer and says "let's return it, re-ring it up for $200 less and then you'll have a receipt showing a date between May 24 - June 6 so you can get the USB wireless stick from Samsung." Nice!

By the way, the set is magnificent. After a few days of consternation trying to get the internet@tv working, all is good. Once online, was able to download a firmware upgrade. That gave me two settings for Cinema Smooth: 1 & 2. Not sure what the difference is, but I turned on Cinema Smooth 1.

Is this 50 inch or 58 inch?
post #280 of 3219 Old 05-26-2009, 01:58 PM

I've had the 58860 since Thursday of last week and have not heard any type of buzzing.
Have not noticed the blinking light behind the set.
post #281 of 3219 Old 05-26-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaGuy2009 View Post

Hello I bought a PN50B860 and it is BUZZING like a crazy. Is this normal? I can hear it 10 feet away. Anyone else having this issue? Will it go away after break-in? Power conditioner help? What is the blinking light on the back?

See post #168 for a little info on buzzing and blinking blue light. I could swear there was more discussion on this thread, but I'll be darned if I can find it now. If I recall, the buzzing was related to the displayed light intensity, and varied from set to set (from none, to loud). I thought one poster said it died down over time and became less of a distraction, but I really wish I could find the post. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Edit: Also try searching the AVS plasma forum, keyword "buzzing". There is a lot of discussion, some of it centered around EMI issues. One person unplugged his fluorescent lights in the basement and that did the trick.
post #282 of 3219 Old 05-26-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by noc View Post

yeah. it's now in the picture settings menu.

I tried this this evening and could not confirm.

My 850 initially came with "1005" firmware. It updated to "1007." Still had to go into the service menu to enable 24x4. It still did not seem to make a difference on vs. off.
post #283 of 3219 Old 05-26-2009, 08:47 PM

Liked: 13
This might be the most redundant question in this thread, but on the 850/860, there is a plastic object that comes out the bottom of the PDP that glows blue. Can this be removed as I feel it looks incredibly cheap?
post #284 of 3219 Old 05-27-2009, 03:30 AM

Quote:

Once online, was able to download a firmware upgrade. That gave me two settings for Cinema Smooth: 1 & 2. Not sure what the difference is, but I turned on Cinema Smooth 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta_23 View Post

My 850 initially came with "1005" firmware. It updated to "1007." Still had to go into the service menu to enable 24x4. It still did not seem to make a difference on vs. off.

I have a 58B650 and just did a firmware update last night. I had version 001006 and it updated to version 001007. So far I have not found any differences. Of course this model came with CinemaSmooth already, and I just went into that menu and confirmed I still only had the same options under "Film Mode": Off; Auto1; Auto2; CinemaSmooth.
That would be really nice of Samsung to enable CinemaSmooth on the 850 since they screwed everyone with their misinformation at the beginning.

I can see a difference on mine with CinemaSmooth on/off in long slow panning shots.
If there really are 2 CinemaSmooth settings like noc said I wonder what the difference is?

Quote:

Does anyone know if there will be more widgets? Also, how do I get Netflix and/or youtube on this thing via the web?

Hopefully there will be more widgets in the near future. No YouTube or Netflix right now.
post #285 of 3219 Old 05-27-2009, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post

This might be the most redundant question in this thread, but on the 850/860, there is a plastic object that comes out the bottom of the PDP that glows blue. Can this be removed as I feel it looks incredibly cheap?

I think the blue glow can be turned off.
post #286 of 3219 Old 05-27-2009, 09:57 AM

The blue light can be turned off in the settings menu. With it off, you do not even notice the plastic piece.
post #287 of 3219 Old 05-27-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

From the review :

Standard was pretty bad; anything watched in uncalibrated standard mode is not going to be close to accurate. It wasn't even blazingly bright at 42 fL. Movie mode was quite accurate; the gamma and grayscale were not too far off target, and the color primary points were just a little narrow. It put out 38.5 fL with a 100% white window, which is adequate but a little on the low side for most living rooms. Overall movie mode looked very good for a set prior to calibration, but it did look a little dull to me.
I started the calibration of the B860 and checked out the service menu. It was disappointingly sparse, just as it was on the B550. No secret goodies here. I decided to just do the calibration in the user menu.
Unlike the B550, the B860 has full CMS adjustments; it's possible get amazing color accuracy from this set. Unlike the wannabe CMS adjustments in some other TV brands, it looks like Samsung did a great job implementing this.
The grayscale and gamma both improved, though the set was still a little too dark and a little too blue with very dark images. These are very minor criticisms, though; the gamma and grayscale performance were both very, very good.
Light output improved to 45.5 fL, which added more punch to the picture.
Overall, I was very happy with how the B860 calibrated. Measurements are attached. Curiously, though, I found that I was able to coax slightly more light output from the B550 than the B860. I could not take the contrast (picture) control as high on the B860 without compromising performance. The advantage here goes to the B550, because it's slightly higher light output will make it suitable for brighter living rooms. It's a small difference, though, only equivalent to 3-4 clicks of the contrast control. However, the B860 had better measuring colors than the B550 due to it's more thorough picture controls. Would the differences be enough to be visible?

On a 50" 860 panel, would not the fl (footLambert) mesaure better than the 58" since the screen size is taken in to accound when you messaure this... ie, better light output!

I mean, would not the 50" stand even better in bright conditions.

In mine eyes the panel is perforimg exelent during daytime showing very good light ouput and contrast.. Anybody that would agree with me on this?

Jens
post #288 of 3219 Old 05-27-2009, 01:37 PM

Quick question guys,

I'm on the fence between the Panny V10 and the PN50B860. I'm sure it's been discussed to the death, but the 24hz playback option on the V10, does the PN50B860 have that?
post #289 of 3219 Old 05-27-2009, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagrant_rounin View Post

Quick question guys,

I'm on the fence between the Panny V10 and the PN50B860. I'm sure it's been discussed to the death, but the 24hz playback option on the V10, does the PN50B860 have that?

The 860 does have 24p playback, yes. It's called Cinema Smooth and operates on a 96hz frequency (instead of the 48hz of the G10).

Click here for my home theater setup
post #290 of 3219 Old 05-27-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta_23 View Post

Up graded my 850 to firmware 1007 and the film mode menu is grayed out and the cursor skips right over it when the tv is fed a 1080p or 1080/24p signal, with a 1080i signal from my prv, it's selectable with the sub options of auto1 and auto2.

I have not gone back into the servive menu to see if I can turn it back on.
post #291 of 3219 Old 05-27-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricfrac View Post

Up graded my 850 to firmware 1007 and the film mode menu is grayed out and the cursor skips right over it when the tv is fed a 1080p or 1080/24p signal, with a 1080i signal from my prv, it's selectable with the sub options of auto1 and auto2.

I have not gone back into the servive menu to see if I can turn it back on.

Go for it man ... we want to know :-)
post #292 of 3219 Old 05-27-2009, 05:58 PM

On page 8 of the Samsung PN58B860 manual (PDF file), it says this about HDMI cables:

"We recommend that 14mm is proper for cable size. This is smaller than standard."

What are they referring to??? The diameter of the cable, or the wires inside that make up the cable, or what?

I'm trying to buy the correct cable. I've looked around and can only find cables that reference AWG (American Wire Gauge) size. When trying to make a comparison, I found a chart that indicates a 27-AWG wire is:

"14.2 "Diam.(mils)"

Another chart that says a 35-AWG wire is the same as

"0.143mm diameter", (maybe the manual messed up with the decimal place).

What does all this mean?
post #293 of 3219 Old 05-28-2009, 01:58 AM

you guys need to get a life .. arguing here doesn't make a tv better or worse .. in my opinion every person has different eyes and one might prefer vivid colors as another might prefer close to real (film) .. all in all choose a display that looks good to your own eyes .. regardless of what anyone else says .. i, personally, prefer a sharper image with accurate colors in more than just pitch dark environments .. so samsung and the upcoming v10 are a good fit for me .. no matter how good a display, kuros are overpriced imho, i still go and spend 10 bucks in the theatre to get a proper cinema experience ..
post #294 of 3219 Old 05-28-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmafan58 View Post

you guys need to get a life .. arguing here doesn't make a tv better or worse .. in my opinion every person has different eyes and one might prefer vivid colors as another might prefer close to real (film) .. all in all choose a display that looks good to your own eyes .. regardless of what anyone else says .. i, personally, prefer a sharper image with accurate colors in more than just pitch dark environments .. so samsung and the upcoming v10 are a good fit for me .. no matter how good a display, kuros are overpriced imho, i still go and spend 10 bucks in the theatre to get a proper cinema experience ..

What are your problem???? what do you think a formu are all about?..

Yes, in fact - agruing here DOs make the tv perform better.. We share f ex tips for setting up tv. There are in fact also standars that most often are the goal for most people when calibrating their tv set. If you dont like discussions - then you are very welcomed to stay away.. You start your first post really really bad here on this forum I think....

This is in fact a passion for many here and if you dont like it, what are you doing here??

Jens
post #295 of 3219 Old 05-28-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmafan58 View Post

Pretty ballsy as a first post - you are up at 4 am telling people they need to get a life because they are debating the merits of one tv over the next!? It might not seem like a worthy cause to yourself, whom obviously has better things to do ... ? Why not just read and take with a grain of salt. I am new myself and sure people talk and over talk points to death; but that's what this is for, it's a 'forum' for people to 'discuss' (I am highlighting the points you don't seem to grasp). When spending, or thinking about spending between $2000-$3500 on a TV, who came blame someone for wanting to justify their purchase, or consider all options and opinions before purchase? Now about who it is that needs to get a life .....
post #296 of 3219 Old 05-28-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAMattD View Post

I read that the 6 and 8 series have the same AR coating but the 5 series has a different one. Also, I have read the main difference between 8 and 6 and 5 series is the network connectivity. Also, the 8 series is much thinner and the bezel looks a little different. I find it odd that several 6 series people are complaining about a pink colors and bad whites, but nobody with the 5 or 8 series seem to see this. I know that when I see the 860 at the local Magnolia store is blows everything away except for the Kuro. I really want a Samsung, but the possibility of buzzing is keeping me away for now.
post #297 of 3219 Old 05-28-2009, 08:08 AM

Check this out.. In fact other reviews are in fact giving the 860 higher contrast numbers than the 550 and also higher fl lightouput (preaty much higher calibrated). Also seems to me the 860 is getting a clearer and crispier (whiter) picture for 1080p.

Check it our for yourselfe :

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...6&p2=5111&ph=1

You can also do a compare of f ex the B7000 LED and to me the plasma wins this hands down!!!

Jens
post #298 of 3219 Old 05-28-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmy999 View Post

... I really want a Samsung, but the possibility of buzzing is keeping me away for now.

How serious is this problem? Perhaps our esteemed experts at Cleveland Plasma could offer their experiences with it (if any)? I, too, am concerned about the potential for buzzing, but intend to have the set checked out before bringing it home. Thoughts and comments out there, anyone?
post #299 of 3219 Old 05-28-2009, 08:19 AM

Wanted to thank you all for the great information on these forums. I purchased a 7100 LED at the first of May and sent it back to BB after a week due to the terrible flashlighting. I have been debating the Plasma VS LCD battle and have determined that I am going with the PN58B860. I will recieve next week and will give some thoughts when it arrives. Until then, I will continue to follow these threads and get whatever information that all of you will share with us.

Thanks to all...
post #300 of 3219 Old 05-28-2009, 08:28 AM

i'm receiving my pn50b860 this weekend from bestbuy. got it for $1,999 (plus tax) with 3 years 0% financing and free shipping! i'm totally stoked. man i hope it doesn't buzz. i'll post my impressions of the set along with some pics soon as i can. anybody have some good calibration settings yet? i read a post in this thread about some content looking grainy and that calibrating the set took care of it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page