Samsung PNXXB850 & PNXXB860 Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3219 Old 05-30-2009, 10:38 AM
MXM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I read on a German retailers web site someone giving there personal review why he sent he's PSB58850 back.
He complained,when film credits are scrolling the back background was clearly grey,even in a bright room.I'm sure he had the incorrect settings,dose anyone agree with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3219 Old 05-30-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers View Post

I watched Transformers on the 58" 860 last night in the Magnolia store. The room was pretty dark with just a little ambient lighting. I changed the setting and put it on movie mode and honestly I didn't care for the picture. The movie was letterboxed and the black bars where lighter than the frame which I expected but light than I thought. The blacks in the movie where very dark and I couldn't get it to produce much shadow detail. It was actually too dark that it bugged me. Oh course the set wasn't calibrated so I'm sure it can get much better.

I will say they had the 850 in a the main part of the store and wow, it doesn't really good in a bright area, much better than any plasma I've seen before. So my preliminary conclusion is that what I've read is correct in that the Sammy is better in brighter conditions than the Panny and it looses a little in dark evironments.

Oh, and I could faintly hear the buzzing but it wasn't too loud.

Look at these pictures, the black bars are preaty black, and so is mine set. Actually, it is almost as black as the beezel.. I would expect that set to not have correct setting at all. Setting it to movie mode should give you a preaty good picture and good colors, even though you are able to get it much better. The bad shadow details is because the gamma was probably way off. The shadow details are not perfect on this set, but if you are willing to sacrify some brightness you can get it preaty good. Say if you are watching at night in your livingroom you can set the gamme to show very good details, but during the day you would need that brightness and high contrast

Yea, and about that buzzing you could barly hear.. Even this set probably had been on for a long time, maybe with high contrast and brightnes (think that the brightnes was way to high since you had light black bars).. So, they solidifys my statemetns about buzzing..
LL
LL
LL
post #363 of 3219 Old 05-30-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXM View Post

I read on a German retailers web site someone giving there personal review why he sent he's PSB58850 back.
He complained,when film credits are scrolling the back background was clearly grey,even in a bright room.I'm sure he had the incorrect settings,dose anyone agree with me.

YES, I agree with you. there is nothing grey about this set.. Actually the black level number that chad messaured in his review is very black. Just because it is not black as the kuro or G10 does not mean that it is not black. It is black as black should be, but in pitch dark conditions you would still see it very black.. Only the kuro has blacker blacks..

Jens
post #364 of 3219 Old 05-30-2009, 11:23 AM
MXM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseike View Post

YES, I agree with you. there is nothing grey about this set.. Actually the black level number that chad messaured in his review is very black. Just because it is not black as the kuro or G10 does not mean that it is not black. It is black as black should be, but in pitch dark conditions you would still see it very black.. Only the kuro has blacker blacks..

Jens

Thanks jens,that's what i thought
post #365 of 3219 Old 05-30-2009, 11:48 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Jens

This site sometime sounds so racist

Obviously just kidding.
post #366 of 3219 Old 05-30-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeskie View Post

This site sometime sounds so racist

Obviously just kidding.

HeHeHe... Good one :-)
post #367 of 3219 Old 05-30-2009, 03:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Jens

You just admitted that the G10 has deeper blacks than the Samsung, and then in your last statement you say "Only the kuro has blacker blacks.." You say in pitch black conditions the Samsung will look "very black". In pitch black conditions a G10 will look a very dark shade of gray, not deep black. So how is it that a Samsung which has a higher minimum luminance is going to look "dark black" in a pitch black room? Stop talking jibberish. In a pitch black room the Samsung will glow grayish. Perhaps a nice dark gray, but gray nonetheless, not "very black".

Why are you always talking such nonsense? Do you work for Samsung or something? There are many TV's that have darker blacks than these Samsung plasmas, including other Samsung LED/LCD's. The Sony XBR8 has better blacks than these Samsungs. I think even the Hitachi plasmas released last fall likely have darker blacks. Let's see, perhaps even the '09 LG's rival the blacks on the comparable Samsungs. Vizio anyone?

Stop making such baseless statements, misleading everyone by claiming the Sammy plasmas are only bettered by Kuros when it comes to blacks. Your nonsensical cheerleading even spurred another poster here to make the completely absurd allegation that last year's '08 Samsung plasmas have darker blacks than the Luxia LEDs. I got a hearty laugh out of that one. The '09 Sammy plasmas cannot even go nearly as dark as the Luxias, and this clown comes on here talking smack, trying to claim that last year's Samsungs are darker.

The blacks on this year's Samsungs are not bad by any means and will be plenty satisfying for most but the most picky of videophiles. But they are not top-flight, nor are they in the upper echelon. They are merely good for '09. They are real good when compared to the average '08 plasma.
post #368 of 3219 Old 05-30-2009, 05:17 PM

You two should get married. You spend enough time arguing with each other over minutia.
post #369 of 3219 Old 05-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What was thread about again?
post #370 of 3219 Old 05-30-2009, 06:04 PM

I went back to BB but a different store where they had the 860 on the wall surrounded by the Panny 850Z, LG LED, 8000, Kuro and XBR8. I have to say that what I saw on the wall (no chages to the setings) it was very black, almost near Kuro black. BUT and this is a big but the shadow detail was a little lost.

I have to say other than that, it does have great colors. One thing I will say is that for color and detail the LG LG90 was very impressive, however the black weren't the worst compared to all the other set and it also washed out the easiest of the LCD there at angle. Now this is last years model and the new one LH90 is set to come out next week with double the LED clusters (240) and higher contrast ratio. This should be a good set to come hopefully.

Anyway, I stand corrected with my comments on black levels but the shadow detail is the only somewhat drawback I see.
post #371 of 3219 Old 05-30-2009, 06:04 PM

I was just Best Buy and they had the 850 on display.I must say I was impressed.I did not see any glare even with the bright florescent lights.I put my ear up to it anywhere I could and I could not hear a buzz at all.It was playing a demo blu-ray,same as the panny S1 and I thought the Sammy looked much better.
post #372 of 3219 Old 05-30-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

You just admitted that the G10 has deeper blacks than the Samsung, and then in your last statement you say "Only the kuro has blacker blacks.." You say in pitch black conditions the Samsung will look "very black". In pitch black conditions a G10 will look a very dark shade of gray, not deep black. So how is it that a Samsung which has a higher minimum luminance is going to look "dark black" in a pitch black room? Stop talking jibberish. In a pitch black room the Samsung will glow grayish. Perhaps a nice dark gray, but gray nonetheless, not "very black".

Why are you always talking such nonsense? Do you work for Samsung or something? There are many TV's that have darker blacks than these Samsung plasmas, including other Samsung LED/LCD's. The Sony XBR8 has better blacks than these Samsungs. I think even the Hitachi plasmas released last fall likely have darker blacks. Let's see, perhaps even the '09 LG's rival the blacks on the comparable Samsungs. Vizio anyone?

Stop making such baseless statements, misleading everyone by claiming the Sammy plasmas are only bettered by Kuros when it comes to blacks. Your nonsensical cheerleading even spurred another poster here to make the completely absurd allegation that last year's '08 Samsung plasmas have darker blacks than the Luxia LEDs. I got a hearty laugh out of that one. The '09 Sammy plasmas cannot even go nearly as dark as the Luxias, and this clown comes on here talking smack, trying to claim that last year's Samsungs are darker.

The blacks on this year's Samsungs are not bad by any means and will be plenty satisfying for most but the most picky of videophiles. But they are not top-flight, nor are they in the upper echelon. They are merely good for '09. They are real good when compared to the average '08 plasma.

What is wrong with you? Lay back a touch.
post #373 of 3219 Old 05-30-2009, 11:41 PM

I gots a couple questions for you 860 owners. I have a Ln52b750, but I'm considering trading in for a PN860. The lag on the 240hz LCD kills me in gaming, and if I have to switch on Game mode or Pc mode... i might as well go plasma

1. What is the Altitude rating on the 860? I'm at 7,500 ft and have heard this tv's not recommended above 6,500.

2. What effect does the Cinema Motion have on the picture? Does it add some 3d pop?

3. I saw PotC 2 on a PN50b850 at Bestbuy, and there was a scene with a sword fight. Right as he was swinging a sword against a blue sky background, i noticed all the pixels horizontally to the left and right of the sword were a slightly different shade of blue sky then the rest. This entire band of off colored pixels followed the sword up and down across the whole 50 inches of screen. After noticing this i could pick up on it in many other scenes as well. Is the just a problem with the thin Sammy Plasmas? Anyone else notice it? How about on the 860?

4. Can someone hook up Rockband 2, go into the calibrate options, and post what kind of video lags your getting. On the LN52b750 I get like 120ms with all features on, 60ms in game mode, and 44ms in pc mode....

thanks guys
post #374 of 3219 Old 05-31-2009, 04:01 AM

Everybody.. Please have a look at the film, what you think !!!!!!! Black?!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWgl2wasIK8

Jens
post #375 of 3219 Old 05-31-2009, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barometer View Post

You two should get married. You spend enough time arguing with each other over minutia.

Please do NOT assosiate me with this clown!!!
post #376 of 3219 Old 05-31-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:

I write what I want, especially when you only want to missinterpin what I write. I would not dream of telling you what to do. I am telling you what I did... I still think that you freaking out about this, and I am basing that on post that you made about this when your set was brand new!!!..

Nice. Let's get back to talking about the B850 & B860. My original question was - is it worth the extra $ over the B650.
post #377 of 3219 Old 05-31-2009, 08:10 AM

The picture on this TV is everything I expected, from movies to games to plain old HDTV! Love it!

One down fall, can't sit through any of the above because of a loud buzzing. Not the normal buzz from the screen, but the loud buzz from 15 feet away with medium/low volume on. This is my second b850 from BB and has the same issue. Returning this one this week for #3. Not sure what direction to head.

-Nico
post #378 of 3219 Old 05-31-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemons View Post

The picture on this TV is everything I expected, from movies to games to plain old HDTV! Love it!

One down fall, can't sit through any of the above because of a loud buzzing. Not the normal buzz from the screen, but the loud buzz from 15 feet away with medium/low volume on. This is my second b850 from BB and has the same issue. Returning this one this week for #3. Not sure what direction to head.

-Nico

I've had the 58B860 for just over a week and have been tweaking ever since; think I finally got it to where it's acceptable. I have not had any buzzing issues with this set. Looks great but will need to be professionally calibrated once I reach about 250 hours.

Personally I prefer the Pioneer 5010FD that it replaced but my better half really loves the clean look of the Sammy on the wall. I will say that it does have a whole lot less glare than what the Pioneer had.
post #379 of 3219 Old 05-31-2009, 11:18 AM
MXM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rencan View Post

I've had the 58B860 for just over a week and have been tweaking ever since; think I finally got it to where it's acceptable. I have not had any buzzing issues with this set. Looks great but will need to be professionally calibrated once I reach about 250 hours.

Personally I prefer the Pioneer 5010FD that it replaced but my better half really loves the clean look of the Sammy on the wall. I will say that it does have a whole lot less glare than what the Pioneer had.

Hi,
Why do you Personally prefer the Pioneer 5010FD?
post #380 of 3219 Old 05-31-2009, 11:42 AM

I just seen the pn50b650 Nice picture,NO BUZZING at all.the volume was low but i could hear it(the sound).

How dows everybody like the 650???

They told me about the exstended warentee.4 years for 325???is this good????

Thanks John
post #381 of 3219 Old 05-31-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john7000 View Post

I just seen the pn50b650 They told me about the exstended warentee.4 years for 325???is this good????
Thanks John

Check out DTV Express; they seem to have a pretty good reputation from the online searching/forum lurking I've done. I'm pretty sure they can beat the price the retailer gave you.
post #382 of 3219 Old 05-31-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Check out DTV Express; they seem to have a pretty good reputation from the online searching/forum lurking I've done. I'm pretty sure they can beat the price the retailer gave you.

Will do Barometer
post #383 of 3219 Old 05-31-2009, 04:04 PM

Does anyone know what length screw to mount this TV to the wall? I just purchased a wall mount and I used the M8 screws and round plastic tube that came with it to raise the bracket a from the panel. When I screwed it in by hand, it felt like I had reached the end, but there was still some screw left. I'm kind of worried about using a screw driver to screw it in more so I don't puncture the screen. Has anyone had success mounting the 50B860 to the wall with a non-samsung wall mount? Thanks
post #384 of 3219 Old 05-31-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnehcob View Post

Does anyone know what length screw to mount this TV to the wall? I just purchased a wall mount and I used the M8 screws and round plastic tube that came with it to raise the bracket a from the panel. When I screwed it in by hand, it felt like I had reached the end, but there was still some screw left. I'm kind of worried about using a screw driver to screw it in more so I don't puncture the screen. Has anyone had success mounting the 50B860 to the wall with a non-samsung wall mount? Thanks

i just mounted mine and used some 1 inch M8 screws. i also used washers instead of the plastic things that came with the TV. worked perfectly!
post #385 of 3219 Old 05-31-2009, 04:32 PM

Well I got my PN50B860 this weekend and low and behold my TV buzzes
I read some posts on here that the buzzing will disappate after breaking it in and calibration. any truth to that?
post #386 of 3219 Old 05-31-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpop View Post

Well I got my PN50B860 this weekend and low and behold my TV buzzes
I read some posts on here that the buzzing will disappate after breaking it in and calibration. any truth to that?

Sorry to hear that. There is a separate "09 Samsung B buzz thread" within the Plasma Flat Panel Display thread. You might find useful info there.

Jens, do you still think the chance you get a set with buzz is just too small to be concerned about it? Maybe you could help zpop with the calibration settings to get rid of it.
post #387 of 3219 Old 05-31-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXM View Post

Hi,
Why do you Personally prefer the Pioneer 5010FD?

Black levels
post #388 of 3219 Old 05-31-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpop View Post

i just mounted mine and used some 1 inch M8 screws. i also used washers instead of the plastic things that came with the TV. worked perfectly!

I just finished mounting my screen. There's like a .5mm gap between the bracket and the rubber ring, is that ok? My screw is 40mm long.
post #389 of 3219 Old 05-31-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Sorry to hear that. There is a separate "09 Samsung B buzz thread" within the Plasma Flat Panel Display thread. You might find useful info there.

Jens, do you still think the chance you get a set with buzz is just too small to be concerned about it? Maybe you could help zpop with the calibration settings to get rid of it.

Mine buzzes too. I'm thinking about getting a power conditioner to see if it makes a difference.

With regards to calibration and break-in, Samsung said that there is no need to break-in this model. I have PN50B860. Also, should you calibrate after the break-in or during? I've heard it both ways. But I thought it was interesting to ask because if you break-in during calibration, some of the settings might be above 50 on contrast and brightness, and wouldn't that defeat the purpose of break-in? I'm relatively new to plasma, but I've been reading a lot of forums. Sorry if this topic has been repeated, just so much to absorb.
post #390 of 3219 Old 05-31-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnehcob View Post

I just finished mounting my screen. There's like a .5mm gap between the bracket and the rubber ring, is that ok? My screw is 40mm long.

did you use a washer on the the side of the bracket facing the wall?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page