Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3219 Old 06-06-2009, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchamblissii View Post

can someone plz post some pics of the 850 or 860 in action while playing some blu-ray movies or video games?

+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3219 Old 06-07-2009, 07:46 AM

Liked: 13
Not sure where to start, but after four months of debating (mainly as to whether the Kuro 151fd was worth the extra $1,500+, or whether I should go with the 63B550/590) I took the plunge and purchased this baby yesterday!

First, the bad news:

The bracket where my stand connects to the tv is broken. I guess this happened in transport, but it's definitely broken. Fortunately, I got this tv locally so I can either return the whole tv or just take the stand off and they will give me a new one.

Now, to the good news:

- I know we cannot discuss specifics with pricing, but let's just say I got this tv and a three year warranty for $1,000 less than it should have been.

- After minimal use (only about an hour of viewing so far), the "buzzing" is extremely minimal! You have to keep your ear within a foot of the tv to even hear it, so it definitely is not a nuisance for me to return it. Should this be noticeable at first, or does the buzzing increase with usage?

- This picture looks great but, again, I have not had much time to play around with the settings yet. This leads me to a few additional questions:

There is a flashing green light in the circuitry on the back of the tv. Is this normal? I am likely just being paranoid with this, but I want to make sure nothing else on the tv is damaged before I go back to the store with the stand.

What is everyone's break-in process? I've read a lot about this process on the Kuros, but was not sure whether a same or similar process is recommended on these. Should I use the break-in file from D-Nice?

Thanks in advance for any help to these questions, and I will post more details as I break this baby in!

Panasonic TC-P65T60
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer VSX-1120-K
Monitor Audio RS6 Silver F, R, C, Surrounds
HSU VTF-1 MK2
PS3
CinemaQuest Ideal-Lume
Harmony Remote
post #453 of 3219 Old 06-07-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonChad View Post

Not sure where to start, but after four months of debating (mainly as to whether the Kuro 151fd was worth the extra $1,500+, or whether I should go with the 63B550/590) I took the plunge and purchased this baby yesterday!

First, the bad news:

The bracket where my stand connects to the tv is broken. I guess this happened in transport, but it's definitely broken. Fortunately, I got this tv locally so I can either return the whole tv or just take the stand off and they will give me a new one.

Now, to the good news:

- I know we cannot discuss specifics with pricing, but let's just say I got this tv and a three year warranty for $1,000 less than it should have been.

- After minimal use (only about an hour of viewing so far), the "buzzing" is extremely minimal! You have to keep your ear within a foot of the tv to even hear it, so it definitely is not a nuisance for me to return it. Should this be noticeable at first, or does the buzzing increase with usage?

- This picture looks great but, again, I have not had much time to play around with the settings yet. This leads me to a few additional questions:

There is a flashing green light in the circuitry on the back of the tv. Is this normal? I am likely just being paranoid with this, but I want to make sure nothing else on the tv is damaged before I go back to the store with the stand.

What is everyone's break-in process? I've read a lot about this process on the Kuros, but was not sure whether a same or similar process is recommended on these. Should I use the break-in file from D-Nice?

Thanks in advance for any help to these questions, and I will post more details as I break this baby in!

Sorry to hear about your stand, I would just replace the stand if your set is otherwise fine.

As for buzzing, mine was loud right out of the box so hopefully you are safe! I have the green light too but hadn't really thought much about it. I'm actually getting another B860 tomorrow and will see if the green light is on.

There's a lot of stuff about break in on some of these threads. I'm just going to leave mine running on a channel without a logo (HD theater) and wide fill just in case. I'll probably do that for about a week. Incidentally, Samsung says no break in is required.
post #454 of 3219 Old 06-07-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speckgreen View Post

Sorry to hear about your stand, I would just replace the stand if your set is otherwise fine.

As for buzzing, mine was loud right out of the box so hopefully you are safe! I have the green light too but hadn't really thought much about it. I'm actually getting another B860 tomorrow and will see if the green light is on.

There's a lot of stuff about break in on some of these threads. I'm just going to leave mine running on a channel without a logo (HD theater) and wide fill just in case. I'll probably do that for about a week. Incidentally, Samsung says no break in is required.

Hopefully you can get a set with "minimal" buzz. I've been running the media slide show on it for the past 1.5 hours, and I although I hear a buzz it's very slight and nothing too noticeable for me to take the tv back.

Please do let me know about the flashing green light on the back, and good luck with your next set. The picture on this thing is awesome!

FYI - I have a 50" Panasonic plasma in my living room and a 37" Samsung lcd in my bedroom and even without calibration I can tell you that the B860 produces the best picture by far.

Panasonic TC-P65T60
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer VSX-1120-K
HSU VTF-1 MK2
PS3
CinemaQuest Ideal-Lume
Harmony Remote
post #455 of 3219 Old 06-07-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker
Yeah, if the buzzing is coming from the upper right and left sides that would seem to be the circuitry inside buzzing away. Don't take it back right away though. Some people have said the buzzing gets better after a while after they break it in. I'm not referring to Sammy owners per se, but I have heard some Pioneer people say this. Also, since I assume you have 30 days, you might as well play with the TV for a while. I'm curious to know if you have any more IR issues like you did with the B650. Try running some break-in slides for several hours at night or something to see if you can age this thing a bit and get it to quiet down.

Sorry you have had rotten luck. I really want to love these sleek new thin plasmas. Maybe I won't end up getting one after all. I may have to go Panasonic.

I`ve been extremely unlucky recently as well ,the reason is,i bought a Pioneer kpr500m ,it arrived cracked,so i went and got a 50 B860 yesterday from Best Buy,it was delivered today.I loved it untill i started hearing the buzzing noise on a low volume like 4 or lower in a completely silent room at night,then i muted it .You can clearly hear some buzzing noise coming from the back panel and it comes and goes.It is like an interference sound like the old cathode ray tv`s use to make.However it has nothing to do with the volume.If the volume is at 5-6 or above you can`t hear the buzzing noise anymore.It can only be heard in a dead silent room.When you press mute you can hear it and it is ,as if it changes as the scenery changes or something and does not make any sound on scenes that are dark,black or text only .It is not loud,barely noticeable,but kind of annoying when watching in a quite room at night with low volume.It shouldn`t be there at all,so shall i change it,return it or what.What a shame because it is a beautiful plasma with amazing picture and blacks,almost like a pioneer.I fear that it is simply a design defect and flaw by Samsung and nothing can fix that.I would be grateful for any input,i have 30 days.

OK the buzzing is coming exactly from the top L and R side of the back panel behind the speaker holes and it appears to be directly related to the screen change.everytime a scene changes or jumps depending on brightness,blackness,it comes and goes.How wierd is that.I`m sure i wouldn`t hear a thing when the volume is above 4-6,but when u pay over 2k for a tv,you don`t want it to make such power surge or interference sounds,do you.the panasonic pz80u didn`t have it,only barely noticeable fan noise.Any oppinions.
post #456 of 3219 Old 06-07-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker
Yeah, if the buzzing is coming from the upper right and left sides that would seem to be the circuitry inside buzzing away. Don't take it back right away though. Some people have said the buzzing gets better after a while after they break it in. I'm not referring to Sammy owners per se, but I have heard some Pioneer people say this. Also, since I assume you have 30 days, you might as well play with the TV for a while. I'm curious to know if you have any more IR issues like you did with the B650. Try running some break-in slides for several hours at night or something to see if you can age this thing a bit and get it to quiet down.

Sorry you have had rotten luck. I really want to love these sleek new thin plasmas. Maybe I won't end up getting one after all. I may have to go Panasonic.

I`ve been extremely unlucky recently as well ,the reason is,i bought a Pioneer kpr500m ,it arrived cracked,so i went and got a 50 B860 yesterday from Best Buy,it was delivered today.I loved it untill i started hearing the buzzing noise on a low volume like 4 or lower in a completely silent room at night,then i muted it .You can clearly hear some buzzing noise coming from the back panel and it comes and goes.It is like an interference sound like the old cathode ray tv`s use to make.However it has nothing to do with the volume.If the volume is at 5-6 or above you can`t hear the buzzing noise anymore.It can only be heard in a dead silent room.When you press mute you can hear it and it is ,as if it changes as the scenery changes or something and does not make any sound on scenes that are dark,black or text only .It is not loud,barely noticeable,but kind of annoying when watching in a quite room at night with low volume.It shouldn`t be there at all,so shall i change it,return it or what.What a shame because it is a beautiful plasma with amazing picture and blacks,almost like a pioneer.I fear that it is simply a design defect and flaw by Samsung and nothing can fix that.I would be grateful for any input,i have 30 days.

OK the buzzing is coming exactly from the top L and R side of the back panel behind the speaker holes and it appears to be directly related to the screen change.everytime a scene changes or jumps depending on brightness,blackness,it comes and goes.How wierd is that.I`m sure i wouldn`t hear a thing when the volume is above 4-6,but when u pay over 2k for a tv,you don`t want it to make such power surge or interference sounds,do you.the panasonic pz80u didn`t have it,only barely noticeable fan noise.Any oppinions.

It is the power supply. Geek Squad was here and confirmed with Samsung that I would need a new power supply to remedy this buzz on my 3 day old B860. Instead, I am having new one delivered tomorrow. We'll see. Next stop, Panasonic V10.
post #457 of 3219 Old 06-07-2009, 01:19 PM

How do i set up a geek squad appointment and ask for an exchange just call them or what.You let me know if the buzzing is still there,if it is im getting a V10
post #458 of 3219 Old 06-07-2009, 03:40 PM

Hi i took a few amateur photos of this beautiful Plasma and unboxing.Enjoy!!!

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...NG%20PN50B860/
post #459 of 3219 Old 06-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

All,

Im in the market for a shallow depth plasma, and it seems that its either this B850 or the V10. The V10 is NOT shallow tho. The 2.2" quote is a little bit misleading as it ends up around 3.3":

30.5" (774 mm) x 48.9" (1,241 mm) x 3.3" (84 mm) [2.2" (55 mm): exclusive of protruding portion]

(from http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...702#tabsection)

Can any owners confirm the actual depth of the plasma?

Jonathan
post #460 of 3219 Old 06-07-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSony View Post

How do you like it in terms of any screen reflection. I was impressed how well it did when I saw it at BB with the Ultra Filterbright Plus screen.

No matter what Plasma you choose you will have reflections, I'v had two, the Pioneer 5010FD and not the 58"B860. I'm very safisfied with the set so far.

I can watch the set with all 4 windows open during the day, today it was sunny and about 94 degrees.........
post #461 of 3219 Old 06-07-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rencan View Post

No matter what Plasma you choose you will have reflections, I'v had two, the Pioneer 5010FD and not the 58"B860. I'm very safisfied with the set so far.

I can watch the set with all 4 windows open during the day, today it was sunny and about 94 degrees.........

sorry for the typ-o,,,,,,,,,I'm running the burn in disk on the set, I'm letting it run all night. I'v got approximately 100 hours on the set. I'll be running the burn in disk all week.

I'm not taking any chances on burn in. Someone mentioned that it was not necessary according to Samsung but I'm not taking that risk. I've read that the first 200 hours or so are critical.
post #462 of 3219 Old 06-07-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul View Post

Well think about what you wrote here.

These televisions use solid state devices that make your plasma work. These sets consume 200+ watts and a lot of that is heat. As with amplifiers, the solid state devices in these televisions are attached heatsinks to dissipate the heat for the reasons you noted.

discopaul,
Yes I know. I think the what I failing to convey is that "in my experience" with these sets in many different stores with ALL the TVs in torch mode, the Sammy 850 and 860 have been noticably much hotter than ALL the other plasmas and of course LCD's. That is really my only point and while others argue that all plasmas have some heat, I know, I own one! If you and all the other owners don't experience the excessive heat that I have, that is wonderful because I think they are great sets, asthetically and PQ.
The heat of the set was a mental note that I noticed, which usually I won't think anything of it, it was that warm.
post #463 of 3219 Old 06-07-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:

How do i set up a geek squad appointment and ask for an exchange just call them or what.You let me know if the buzzing is still there,if it is im getting a V10

Actually, you go back to the store for an exchange. I only had the Geek Squad come out (free in first thirty days) to obtain proof of the problem. This is because this is my third television with an issue and I want them to know it's not just me!
post #464 of 3219 Old 06-07-2009, 07:23 PM

I just ordered the 58B860 and will have it on Tuesday. When I was at the store I felt the back of the plasma and it was not hot at all. At the top back of the screen it was warm but no hotter than most of the other sets they had on display. This was at 5pm so the sets were on for about 6-7hrs.

I also had all the other sets on mute and as far as I can tell there was no buzz. That's with my ear on the back of both the left and right side. The only other noise in the room was about 5 people also looking at sets. That's the problem with forums sometimes. The main thing people do on these forums is report their problems. It is good to hear that but that also can drive you crazy when looking to purchase a product.
post #465 of 3219 Old 06-07-2009, 07:46 PM

Went to two BBs this weekend. The first one had a Magnolia room, but the 55B850 they uncrated in the morning was cracked and they had to send it back. So, nothing to report there.

The second BB only had the 50B850. I felt along the top and back, it wasn't hot by any means. Slightly warm, I'd call it. The screen was also warm, but not hot to the touch. IMO, not a worry whatsoever.

I put my ear up to front and back, and could not detect any buzzing. But, it's tough to detect that sort of thing in a big box store.

All in all, an excellent set!
post #466 of 3219 Old 06-07-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ33 View Post

I just ordered the 58B860 and will have it on Tuesday. When I was at the store I felt the back of the plasma and it was not hot at all. At the top back of the screen it was warm but no hotter than most of the other sets they had on display. This was at 5pm so the sets were on for about 6-7hrs.

I also had all the other sets on mute and as far as I can tell there was no buzz. That's with my ear on the back of both the left and right side. The only other noise in the room was about 5 people also looking at sets. That's the problem with forums sometimes. The main thing people do on these forums is report their problems. It is good to hear that but that also can drive you crazy when looking to purchase a product.

I've had my 860 for two days now, and I'm pleased to report very, and I mean very, minimal buzzing. You have to put your ear within a foot from the tv to even hear it, so you definitely cannot hear it while watching regular tv or movies from eight or nine feet away. I really like this tv so far.

Panasonic TC-P65T60
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer VSX-1120-K
HSU VTF-1 MK2
PS3
CinemaQuest Ideal-Lume
Harmony Remote
post #467 of 3219 Old 06-07-2009, 09:50 PM

I got my 58B860 in the mail last week. I noticed a slight dent in the back frame and I called the company I bought it from and since the picture looked fine they offered me 200 to keep it versus returning it for another. Now I have been playing with it for about 5 days now and I noticed that Display type will automatically switch back to Dynamic about every 10 to 15 minutes when I Switch it to any of the other settings (standard, eco or movie). I have it connected to my PS3, HD comacast cable box via my Denon receiver using HDMI. It seems to save all other settings I set it too just not that one. Any suggestions or is it a software problem or could of been caused by the dent in the back upper corner during the delivery?
post #468 of 3219 Old 06-07-2009, 11:14 PM

where you guys able to go to the photo li k i put up.i have 67 photos check em out

post #469 of 3219 Old 06-08-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:

where you guys able to go to the photo li k i put up.i have 67 photos check em out

Wow, very nice! Thank you!
post #470 of 3219 Old 06-08-2009, 03:47 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers View Post

Heat: I mad this observation a month ago and no one listened nor cared, I'm glad to see that others now are bring this up.

I agree with DocuMaker in the JUST because engineers designed thise does mead they are designed well. I'm sure they took may things into consideration and I'm sure they made assumptions as well. I am an engineer and heat and electronics isn't a good mix because heat can reduce the lifespan of the eletronics.

I love the look of the 850/60 but when you touch the screen it is VERY VERY WARM almost hot to the touch, that is a red flag for me and don't want something like that in my house especially with children around. But that is my opinion and you can choose whatever you want. I realized plasmas run warm, I have a Panny plasma but this is way hotter than I think is acceptable.

Just so you know, flyers, speaking only for me personally, it's not that I didn't listen or care when you mentioned the heat, it's just that a month ago there were no 8 series to be found where I live! My area seems to be behind the eight ball when it comes to getting these Sammy 8 series. Even a few days ago my local Magnolia (stand-alone store, not in BB) still did not have one! They have many many TV's and speakers etc. worth several thousand dollars a piece, but even Sears and Best Buy had an 850 long ahead of them. Video Only has them. Magnolia should be getting them in any day now. My local Best Buy had one first, but it was damaged and had a cracked hole in the front screen, so they shut it off and I went back like a week and half later and it was still sitting off and they hadn't replaced it yet. So I am late to the party in even getting a chance to look at these sets, which is why I am only bringing up my observations about them now.

Regards
post #471 of 3219 Old 06-08-2009, 03:51 AM

Quote:

I explained in the Samsung 2009 plasma thread why it's perfectly normal that your plasma buzz will fluctuate according to the APL of your display:

Just in case you or anyone else missed it there:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post16604919
post #472 of 3219 Old 06-08-2009, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barometer View Post

Went to two BBs this weekend. The first one had a Magnolia room, but the 55B850 they uncrated in the morning was cracked and they had to send it back. So, nothing to report there.

The second BB only had the 50B850. I felt along the top and back, it wasn't hot by any means. Slightly warm, I'd call it. The screen was also warm, but not hot to the touch. IMO, not a worry whatsoever.

I put my ear up to front and back, and could not detect any buzzing. But, it's tough to detect that sort of thing in a big box store.

All in all, an excellent set!

That's good to hear if you felt along the very top in the back and it wasn't too hot. I can only speak for my Best Buy, not everyone else's, but my Best Buy had their 850 on an end-cap running a Samsung demo, and it had a lot of black and dark scenes in it. So that will help the TV run cooler. Smart idea on Samsung's part. (Stupid idea to hire that sick and sadistic spawn of Satan Ozzy Osbourne to do their commercials if you ask me, but I guess they didn't.) The more whiter and brighter the content, the more heat the plasma will put out. Darker content will not require nearly as much juice.

If you are going to compare different sets in a store to check for relative levels of heat, do understand that a Samsung on an end-cap hooked up to a blu ray or running a dark Samsung demo is not the same set of conditions as other TV's tightly packed against the wall near dozens of other warm TV's with little air circulation behind them, running a different demo with a lot of white content.

So ideally you want to check for heat with TV's in the same area, running the exact same demo, using similar settings (movie mode or torch mode etc.) (ask the store employees or look to see if you can ascertain where the AC is blowing in as well).

Furthermore, like I discovered at my Sears, sometimes these 8 series and other high end TV's are on an end-cap hooked up to a blu ray and it's possible that when the movie ends (after lots of black credits for 10 or 15 minutes which could help the TV cool down a bit) the blu ray player will just go back to the default menu for the blu ray. That's what happened at my local Sears. They had a blu ray of Remember the Titans, and the not very useful kids they have working there didn't even know this was a plasma, they thought it was a Luxia LED, because they hadn't even put up a price or tag or someone had torn it off, and it was sitting on a pretty dark menu screen, for who knows how long. They probably would have left it there all day long on that static screen had I not taken charge and restarted the movie just to spare the poor Sammy some IR/burn-in in its infancy.

By the way, my local Magnolia is a very high-end store. After all they do have a 103 inch Panny plasma when you first walk-in that must cost tens of thousands of dollars. Even these clowns don't know what they are doing. They always have the Luxia LED on dynamic, and they have their G10 on vivid everytime I go in there and it looks like crap. They had the two new Sammys right next to them on movie mode and one on cell light 6 and the other 7. Hmm...

In their high end section of TV's they had two identical 42 inch G10's hooked up to a blue ray of planet earth, and one of the TV's was calibrated and the other not to demonstrate the merits of such. The blu ray had ended and it was just sitting on a static screen with some credits with bright white lettering, and after fooling around in the store for 30-45 minutes I finally walked over to the front desk and told their useless overpaid employee (not exactly a kid like at Sears) that the blu ray was not playing anymore and their plasmas were just sitting there with a static screen for Lord knows how long.

Furthermore, blu ray movies often have nice thick black bars on the top and the bottom, so you are not going to get as much buzzing and as much heat with thick black bars, because that top and bottom portion of the screen will not be lit up.

So there are a lot of factors that go into how much power, heat, buzzing you will notice in a store, or for that matter your home.

All I can say is that I went into Video Only, they had a whole line of TV's all along several walls, far enough away from the wall so there was equally plenty of air-circulation for each of them, all running the same content, the NBA finals. I felt the LG, the Sammys, the Pannys etc. up and down the row, and the 860 was clearly the hottest of them all. Even noticeably hotter compared to the 5/6 series which have thicker cabinets.
post #473 of 3219 Old 06-08-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

That's good to hear if you felt along the very top in the back and it wasn't too hot. I can only speak for my Best Buy, not everyone else's, but my Best Buy had their 850 on an end-cap running a Samsung demo, and it had a lot of black and dark scenes in it. So that will help the TV run cooler. Smart idea on Samsung's part. (Stupid idea to hire that sick and sadistic spawn of Satan Ozzy Osbourne to do their commercials if you ask me, but I guess they didn't.) The more whiter and brighter the content, the more heat the plasma will put out. Darker content will not require nearly as much juice.

If you are going to compare different sets in a store to check for relative levels of heat, do understand that a Samsung on an end-cap hooked up to a blu ray or running a dark Samsung demo is not the same set of conditions as other TV's tightly packed against the wall near dozens of other warm TV's with little air circulation behind them, running a different demo with a lot of white content.

So ideally you want to check for heat with TV's in the same area, running the exact same demo, using similar settings (movie mode or torch mode etc.) (ask the store employees or look to see if you can ascertain where the AC is blowing in as well).

Furthermore, like I discovered at my Sears, sometimes these 8 series and other high end TV's are on an end-cap hooked up to a blu ray and it's possible that when the movie ends (after lots of black credits for 10 or 15 minutes which could help the TV cool down a bit) the blu ray player will just go back to the default menu for the blu ray. That's what happened at my local Sears. They had a blu ray of Remember the Titans, and the not very useful kids they have working there didn't even know this was a plasma, they thought it was a Luxia LED, because they hadn't even put up a price or tag or someone had torn it off, and it was sitting on a pretty dark menu screen, for who knows how long. They probably would have left it there all day long on that static screen had I not taken charge and restarted the movie just to spare the poor Sammy some IR/burn-in in its infancy.

By the way, my local Magnolia is a very high-end store. After all they do have a 103 inch Panny plasma when you first walk-in that must cost tens of thousands of dollars. Even these clowns don't know what they are doing. They always have the Luxia LED on dynamic, and they have their G10 on vivid everytime I go in there and it looks like crap. They had the two new Sammys right next to them on movie mode and one on cell light 6 and the other 7. Hmm...

In their high end section of TV's they had two identical 42 inch G10's hooked up to a blue ray of planet earth, and one of the TV's was calibrated and the other not to demonstrate the merits of such. The blu ray had ended and it was just sitting on a static screen with some credits with bright white lettering, and after fooling around in the store for 30-45 minutes I finally walked over to the front desk and told their useless overpaid employee (not exactly a kid like at Sears) that the blu ray was not playing anymore and their plasmas were just sitting there with a static screen for Lord knows how long.

Furthermore, blu ray movies often have nice thick black bars on the top and the bottom, so you are not going to get as much buzzing and as much heat with thick black bars, because that top and bottom portion of the screen will not be lit up.

So there are a lot of factors that go into how much power, heat, buzzing you will notice in a store, or for that matter your home.

All I can say is that I went into Video Only, they had a whole line of TV's all along several walls, far enough away from the wall so there was equally plenty of air-circulation for each of them, all running the same content, the NBA finals. I felt the LG, the Sammys, the Pannys etc. up and down the row, and the 860 was clearly the hottest of them all. Even noticeably hotter compared to the 5/6 series which have thicker cabinets.

Just because I can roast a chicken on my tv doesn't mean it's hot.
post #474 of 3219 Old 06-08-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

Thanks for the tips. I'll continue to "monitor" the situation.
One sad note on my local market, they don't have much in the way of high end. No -B860s yet of any size. And the staff at BB is atrocious. They are nice to look at, but absolutely clueless. I am amazed that a store trying to sell a product for two or three grand doesn't have knowledgeable staff and the TVs optimized for WOW, or even have a decent HD signal. So many of the screens look like crap - bad color contrast, grainy, etc. And the staff, well, you better know what you're looking for because they are no help. Amazing. And our market is so small that they are the only game in town (BJ's doesn't count!).
post #475 of 3219 Old 06-08-2009, 09:02 AM

Can someone with an 860 compare a blu ray with Cinema Smooth on and off. I am trying to decide if the 860 is worth going for or if the 850 is good enough. Since it sounds like the service option for the 24p on the 850 doesn't really do anything.
post #476 of 3219 Old 06-08-2009, 10:51 AM

I've noticed people comparing the B850/860 to the V and G Panasonic sets. Anyone know how it stacks up with the Z800U/Z850U?

I'm interesting in a 58" plasma, and these seem to be the best options in my price range.

Thanks,

-john
post #477 of 3219 Old 06-08-2009, 01:03 PM

Does anyone know if a power conditioner, say the Panamax 4300-pm, would help with the hum/buzz on a Samsung 58" B850 plasma? I've had it since 6/6/09 and the hum can be heard from 12' away. Oh, no heat issues yet and it has been on for 2 days. Thanks for your help.
post #478 of 3219 Old 06-08-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibullinus View Post

Does anyone know if a power conditioner, say the Panamax 4300-pm, would help with the hum/buzz on a Samsung 58" B850 plasma? I've had it since 6/6/09 and the hum can be heard from 12' away. Oh, no heat issues yet and it has been on for 2 days. Thanks for your help.

I would head on over to the "09 Samsung B Series Buzz Thread" and see how you do there. I believe one guy tried a power conditioner and it had no affect. One of the current theories is power supply (transformer, or A-to-D converter). If it's the conversion circuitry that is causing the interference, it won't matter how clean the ac signal is coming in because it just gets converted to dc anyways. Just a theory, though, I don't think anybody has this licked yet. Good luck and keep us posted.
post #479 of 3219 Old 06-08-2009, 02:46 PM

Anyway going back to the subject of the B860,the buzz noise on my set is barely noticeable unless the volume is either muted or on 2-3 so i guess i little buzz is normal for a plasma of this size.All i can say is that the photos don`t do this plasma any justice.The picture is simply stunning with amazing black levels,damn close to Kuros,but not only that,the colours are stunning.The plasma itself ,is another story.This plasma easthetically is simply gorgeous,my girlfriend couldn`t stop complimenting it.By far it is the sleekest slimmest prettiest plasma in the world and has the picture to match it and no Kuro comes close to its easthetic design,features and usability.The swivel base is a great feature which neither the Pioneer or Panasonic have,though i maybe quoted wrong with the European models.Anyway i would recomend this Plasma to anyone looking into buying an awsome plasma with great value.Just go to BBY and look at a 50" 850 or 850 on HD or blueray then you`ll appreciate it.This set i believe has amazing black levels too.It has too many pros over other manufacturers that outway any competitive argument.Its weight,slimness,power consumption alone would deem any other competitor set obsolete with the exception of the Panasonic PZ series but no one for sure is going to pay and extra 2-3k for cutting the wires off this set and i`m sure Samsung will come up with one soon for much less.
post #480 of 3219 Old 06-08-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barometer View Post

I would head on over to the "09 Samsung B Series Buzz Thread" and see how you do there. I believe one guy tried a power conditioner and it had no affect. One of the current theories is power supply (transformer, or A-to-D converter). If it's the conversion circuitry that is causing the interference, it won't matter how clean the ac signal is coming in because it just gets converted to dc anyways. Just a theory, though, I don't think anybody has this licked yet. Good luck and keep us posted.

Right, my last B860 was buzzing from the power supply. This was diagnosed by the Geek Squad dude. The B860 that I just got today also has the buzz but it is half as loud.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page