Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3220 Old 06-15-2009, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowreign View Post

great review john. a couple of questions. when you say the set doesn't do as well in daylight, i assume you're comparing it to the A950?

Not really. More to our old CRT Sony XBR 34". Note part of this can be the size (more screen to catch more light), part of it can be the non-glare coating (the old XBR had no coating). Part of it may be it probably isn't quite as bright as the XBR (guessing). *shrug*. If you look at the pictures of the room, it clearly isn't optimal. The room doesn't have blackout shades, and there is a high window you can't see in the pictures that has no shade and provides direct sunlight on the screen early evening. On the other hand, it isn't overly problematic, and I might put some reflective coating on the high window.

Quote:

also, are there hdmi ports that can be set up "hidden" if the set is hung on the wall? finally, do keep us posted if you will on the buzzing...

From what I can tell (look at the pictures, esp. 0048 and 0049), there are no ports that are conveniently located for part time use (camcorder or whatever). You are going to have to cable everything to the TV, and leave the other end of the cable in your cabinet or something.

But, if done carefully, there should be no issue hiding the cables from sight.

-john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3220 Old 06-15-2009, 02:51 PM

Well after 3 days with my 58B860 it needs to be replaced due to a faulty USB board. I cannot get the the optional Samsung wireless dongle to work at all. Called Samsung and told them the story, they wanted to send out a tech to take the set apart and fix it. I said Hell no.. I want a new set.

I don't know guys, the set has a beautiful picture, but my problem is that I have never had any luck with Samsung products. Every time I buy one of their products I always have problems.

I am thinking of ditching the Samsung and buying one of the last Kuros.

Any thoughts?
post #543 of 3220 Old 06-15-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjnockie View Post

Well after 3 days with my 58B860 it needs to be replaced due to a faulty USB board. I cannot get the the optional Samsung wireless dongle to work at all. Called Samsung and told them the story, they wanted to send out a tech to take the set apart and fix it. I said Hell no.. I want a new set.

I don't know guys, the set has a beautiful picture, but my problem is that I have never had any luck with Samsung products. Every time I buy one of their products I always have problems.

Any thoughts?

Did they actually give in and say they were gonna replace the set?
post #544 of 3220 Old 06-15-2009, 03:08 PM

I bought the set from Best Buy. They will replace it. They have no choice!
post #545 of 3220 Old 06-15-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Any thoughts?

Considering the USB stuff might be on a module, it might be fairly low risk to have them replace. Just pull the cover, swap out the module and test. In fact, if this is the case, might be less risky than transporting/trying a whole new set.

There were some pictures of the guts here somewhere, anyone have a pointer?

-john
post #546 of 3220 Old 06-15-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfoodog View Post

There were some pictures of the guts here somewhere, anyone have a pointer?

-john

This one?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post16648643
post #547 of 3220 Old 06-15-2009, 04:45 PM
MXM

Quote:

Any thoughts?

I would let Samsung change the USB board,you may end up with a buzzer!!
post #548 of 3220 Old 06-15-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speckgreen View Post

Right, my last B860 was buzzing from the power supply. This was diagnosed by the Geek Squad dude. The B860 that I just got today also has the buzz but it is half as loud.

I returned my 58" Samsung B850 today, 6/15 due to buzz issue. The new one BB replaced it with buzzes even louder! I tried to get the Geek guys when they were here to listen to the buzz but they were only interested in dropping off the replacement. Now BB says they have listened to the B850 and they hear no buzz at all, and if I want another one I'll have to pay $100 for a service call and then only if they detect a problem will they send out another set. They also offered me my old one back. (By the way, I'm within my 30 days.)
Speckgreen, please feel free to comment as I know you've sent back a number of them.
My other question is if there is connection to the sets with buzzing and the mfd. date. My first set was dated May and my second one, which sounds even louder, was mfd. in April. For all those who have little or no buzzing was your set mfd. in June? Just wondering if there might be a connection.
Thanks much!
post #549 of 3220 Old 06-15-2009, 05:40 PM

Mfg date of mine is May 2009, but not sure that helps since it isn't clear to me if it buzzes more or less than others.

-john
post #550 of 3220 Old 06-15-2009, 09:45 PM

Just got my 58B850 today. I love the TV so far. Slight buzz but only if I put my ear into the upper right hand corner of the tv. It does not get louder anywhere else in the room (21x13ft). I'll have it calibrated after a few hundred hours.
post #551 of 3220 Old 06-15-2009, 11:04 PM

Wow what a bummer. Just plugged in my new PN50B850 and it buzzes pretty loudly! Was so excited about this set too...guess it's going back to BB. What has everyone else been doing? Swapping at BB until you get one that doesn't buzz? How many times will BB let you do this....

Congrats to everyone who lucked out and didn't get a "buzzer" because it is a beautiful set!
post #552 of 3220 Old 06-15-2009, 11:51 PM

So what are the settings for the 860?
post #553 of 3220 Old 06-16-2009, 02:03 AM

Finally got the thing mounted on the Bello fp-2125. Kind of a PITA. The main unit goes together OK, but the mounting bracket is kind of a Rube Goldberg contraption.

Neither the fp-2125, nor the TV itself came with screws. After a frantic trip to the hardware store where I accumulated a number of metric M8 bolts, I can now say the unit takes a M8 bolt in 1.25 thread.

With my particular mount, I ended up with 16mm long bolts, but with a different bracket, I could see using a 20mm (the 20mm were just a whisker too long).

Sorry for the grainy photo, but tis dark.

Oh, the buzz seems a bit worse. I think wall mounting does reflect the sound. I'm ignoring it for now.

-john

post #554 of 3220 Old 06-16-2009, 02:06 AM

It seems the new samsung 8 series plasmas screens easily cracks, is this common to all plasmas or is this a design flaw particular to this model???

My 58B850 was delivered yesterday around 2pm and I had a bad feeeling when I saw it lying flat in the delivery van. I unboxed it aroung 6pm after work and guess what?? the screen was massively cracked. I am calling the company i bought it from. I am pissed coz i had waited ages for this set.
post #555 of 3220 Old 06-16-2009, 03:37 AM
MXM

Quote:

Finally got the thing mounted on the Bello fp-2125. Kind of a PITA. The main unit goes together OK, but the mounting bracket is kind of a Rube Goldberg contraption.

Neither the fp-2125, nor the TV itself came with screws. After a frantic trip to the hardware store where I accumulated a number of metric M8 bolts, I can now say the unit takes a M8 bolt in 1.25 thread.

With my particular mount, I ended up with 16mm long bolts, but with a different bracket, I could see using a 20mm (the 20mm were just a whisker too long).

Oh, the buzz seems a bit worse. I think wall mounting does reflect the sound. I'm ignoring it for now.

-john

very nice set-up!!
post #556 of 3220 Old 06-16-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitambira View Post

It seems the new samsung 8 series plasmas screens easily cracks, is this common to all plasmas or is this a design flaw particular to this model???

My 58B850 was delivered yesterday around 2pm and I had a bad feeeling when I saw it lying flat in the delivery van. I unboxed it aroung 6pm after work and guess what?? the screen was massively cracked. I am calling the company i bought it from. I am pissed coz i had waited ages for this set.

You never lay a TV flat. I would call that a idiot mistake by the company you bought it from.
post #557 of 3220 Old 06-16-2009, 05:49 AM

post #558 of 3220 Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibullinus View Post

I returned my 58" Samsung B850 today, 6/15 due to buzz issue. The new one BB replaced it with buzzes even louder! I tried to get the Geek guys when they were here to listen to the buzz but they were only interested in dropping off the replacement. Now BB says they have listened to the B850 and they hear no buzz at all, and if I want another one I'll have to pay $100 for a service call and then only if they detect a problem will they send out another set. They also offered me my old one back. (By the way, I'm within my 30 days.)
Speckgreen, please feel free to comment as I know you've sent back a number of them.
My other question is if there is connection to the sets with buzzing and the mfd. date. My first set was dated May and my second one, which sounds even louder, was mfd. in April. For all those who have little or no buzzing was your set mfd. in June? Just wondering if there might be a connection.
Thanks much!

You might try the customer service number or calling the 1-800-433-5778 number. I would go higher up to voice your complaint. They should at least waive that $100 if they come out and hear the noise.
post #559 of 3220 Old 06-16-2009, 10:45 AM

Flatpanels.com have made a review of the panel and it is so far only in danish.. It will come out in english in a few days but you can just google the text for a translation.. They have also calibrated it and the settings are on the web page :

http://www.flatpanels.dk/test.php?su...&id=1245146937

Blacks are messauret as exactly the same as the pana V10.. :-)

It gets a very good revirew and this just confirms this great panel...

EDIT: Did not see it was allready a post here about it

Jens
post #560 of 3220 Old 06-16-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:

-john

Why would you do that??? It looks way nicer on it glass stand!!! I could understand removing the panel from it stand to put it on a wall, but doing this I really dont understand.. Its a matter of taste I guess, and this is not mine!

Jens
post #561 of 3220 Old 06-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Is there anyone here who has a B850/860 who is happy with the buzz issue? e.g. they can't hear it or just dont think its a big deal (on their set)? I noticed on the poll thread it seemed to be about 1/2 that didnt have it/didnt think it was too bad - but this thread seems nothing but buzz problems...
post #562 of 3220 Old 06-16-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotter View Post

Is there anyone here who has a B850/860 who is happy with the buzz issue? e.g. they can't hear it or just dont think its a big deal (on their set)? I noticed on the poll thread it seemed to be about 1/2 that didnt have it/didnt think it was too bad - but this thread seems nothing but buzz problems...

The problem with the poll is its missing information like power hook ups, placement, sitting distance, etc.
post #563 of 3220 Old 06-16-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:

My 860 buzzes a little but it doesn't bother me.

I come here less and less because I've made my purchase and am happy with it.
post #564 of 3220 Old 06-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseike View Post

Flatpanels.com have made a review of the panel and it is so far only in danish.. It will come out in english in a few days but you can just google the text for a translation.. They have also calibrated it and the settings are on the web page :

http://www.flatpanels.dk/test.php?su...&id=1245146937

Blacks are messauret as exactly the same as the pana V10.. :-)

It gets a very good revirew and this just confirms this great panel...

EDIT: Did not see it was allready a post here about it

Jens

Same black level and virtually the same contrast as the V10, albeit a somewhat poorly performing V10 sample given the G10 measured 0.03 cd/m2 according to them. But still very good nonetheless, especially given the superior bright room black levels of the 850.
post #565 of 3220 Old 06-16-2009, 12:21 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Buzzing is extremely minimal on mine....so quiet you can't hear it unless you place your ear within one foot of the upper right side of the set.

Panasonic TC-P65T60
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer VSX-1120-K
Monitor Audio RS6 Silver F, R, C, Surrounds
HSU VTF-1 MK2
PS3
CinemaQuest Ideal-Lume
Harmony Remote
post #566 of 3220 Old 06-16-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonChad View Post

Buzzing is extremely minimal on mine....so quiet you can't hear it unless you place your ear within one foot of the upper right side of the set.

Same here... I can hear something only if I go as close as 4 to 5 inches to the top right of the screen.
post #567 of 3220 Old 06-16-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh_cm79 View Post

Same here... I can hear something only if I go as close as 4 to 5 inches to the top right of the screen.

Any chance of you pulling off the back and getting a picture the electronics.
post #568 of 3220 Old 06-16-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barometer View Post

Congratulations on your purchase. We're all anxiously awaiting your comments, especially the humming. Is there a manufacture date on the set?

Date is April 09
post #569 of 3220 Old 06-16-2009, 03:39 PM

So this website or specific thread does not give you the settings for the 860?
post #570 of 3220 Old 06-16-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:

I suspect that most of the people that don't have the buzz are no longer visiting this thread! It also seems that the buzz is different for a lot of people.

For instance, on my B650 it was more of a vibration type noise that went away when I placed my hand on the back and then it wouldn't come back for a long time. This did not cause a problem and I returned that set for a different reason.
On my last B860 it was a really loud noise that could be heard above normal volume levels. It was constant and didn't go away. It also made no difference as to where I was in the room. I wouldn't call it buzzing, more of a high pitched electrical type noise.
The current B860 I have has the same noise but it seems to come and go and usually isn't as loud as the last one. I haven't decided if I'm going to learn to live with it or get a Panasonic V10.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung