Samsung PNXXB850 & PNXXB860 Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3219 Old 06-20-2009, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If Zoom 1 and Zoom 2 are greyed out in the menus, how do you unlock them?

I just got my samsung plasma and I can't find a viewmode to watch BluRay without black or grey bars. I just want to keep the bars away for the first couple hundred hours or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3219 Old 06-20-2009, 07:42 PM

The "geek squad" arrived this morning,and so far no issues that I can see or hear... except for a great picture & beautiful color rendition (this is definitely Wow! territory)

Most posts here tend to be about issues, so I figure I'd chime in with a "positive" spin (for a change of pace).
post #633 of 3219 Old 06-20-2009, 07:49 PM

850 Owners: Some of you have used the service menu to enable cinema smooth. Has anyone used the service menu to enable "pro setting" or ability to set movie mode to day settings as well as movie mode to night settings?
post #634 of 3219 Old 06-20-2009, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

My 860 will be in the house Monday or Tuesday.
I got it for far less that I paid for my A650 with 2 year extended warranty.
post #635 of 3219 Old 06-20-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ictusbrucks View Post

I just got my samsung plasma and I can't find a viewmode to watch BluRay without black or grey bars. I just want to keep the bars away for the first couple hundred hours or so.

Yeah, you can't engage those with HDMI. Nice feature, huh?
post #636 of 3219 Old 06-20-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibullinus View Post

Well, I'm trying to be reasonable and give them the benefit of the doubt. It
isn't easy to hear the buzzing in BBY and the B850/ B860 are relatively new plasmas so maybe I'm the first to return one. But then again...

My V10 won't be delivered until 7/10/09. Meanwhile, I've been wavering on the return. The buzz isn't too bad and I'm worried about the clunkiness of the V10 and if I have some other issue. I don't think I'll be able to return anymore sets. I'm thinking maybe I should settle.
post #637 of 3219 Old 06-21-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:

+1 on this one.
post #638 of 3219 Old 06-21-2009, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by speckgreen View Post

My V10 won't be delivered until 7/10/09. Meanwhile, I've been wavering on the return. The buzz isn't too bad and I'm worried about the clunkiness of the V10 and if I have some other issue. I don't think I'll be able to return anymore sets. I'm thinking maybe I should settle.

If you're out of options on a return of sets whaty happens if you have issues with the V10 when you get it?
post #639 of 3219 Old 06-21-2009, 08:21 AM

Don't exchange the set and just return it. The you can start the process all over again
post #640 of 3219 Old 06-21-2009, 10:20 AM

How far apart are the mounting holes vertical and horizontal on 58b850

Thanks
post #641 of 3219 Old 06-21-2009, 10:36 AM
MXM

Returning My PS58850 back after 4 days

Here is a list of the problems I've found:

# Uneven whites, in the middle of the screen is pink-ish, the left side green-ish

# Bad line bleeding

# Watching SD or HD I sometimes see shimmering in the background on panning shots,but I'm more surprised to see it on HD

# I can see the Phosphor Trail highlighted in a review.
post #642 of 3219 Old 06-21-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Watching a few movies won't hurt anything as long as you stretch all your 4:3 viewing.
post #643 of 3219 Old 06-21-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanski View Post

Watching a few movies won't hurt anything as long as you stretch all your 4:3 viewing.

it distorts that

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
TOO LATE; Out of Africa is out-the worst ever
post #644 of 3219 Old 06-21-2009, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVisone View Post

it distorts that

Ah I see.
So you just don't watch any 4:3 materiel then?
My Hitachi's wide fit was horrible like watching through a fish eye...fish bowl...
post #645 of 3219 Old 06-21-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

BestBuy here says they can only get the 850?
post #646 of 3219 Old 06-21-2009, 04:42 PM

I'm not an owner, so please, please don't banned me or kill my post...
I was in BB the other day (Saturday) and I saw the Samsung PN50B850 Plasma and decided to get it for the livingroom, but I would first do some reviews before slapping down $2069.00. Well guess what? To my chagrin when I went back to BB today it was selling for $2299.00. Well now that just put my panties in a bunch! I'll buy it online and forget about paying the sales tax...em, maybe not...

1). The screen cracks easily?
2). The set buzzes?

Are you kidding? Come on! I am so disappointed with some of the things I am reading about this set. The Sammy looks awesome. I own a
Panny th50pz850u and thought the sammy had a better looking picture. I have the feeling I'll have to buy it from BB to insure that if I have an issue
I'll be able to take it back.

I have a some questions...

1. What is the difference between the pn50B850 and the pn50b860? One online vendor has the 860 as not having ethernet connectivity, but the 850 as having it? I went to Samsung's site and it states that all the 8 series plasmas don't have ethernet..? Does it or doesn't it?

2. Does the panel have a tendency to crack? I guess that would rule out getting it shipped to me huh? There are some really good prices out there for the PN50B850.

3. Buzzing? I remember buying a 30" LCD pc monitor from HP that buzzed loud enough that I returned it, but then again your face is like 3 feet away from it. Does this set really buzz that loud? Can you hear it from 10 feet?

4. If you were to buy one of these sammys what model would you buy? Is there one that has a newer production date. Is the 860 a newer model than the 850? Is the PS a newer model than the PN?

Thanks for any help!
post #647 of 3219 Old 06-21-2009, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArborBarber View Post

I'm not an owner, so please, please don't banned me or kill my post...
I was in BB the other day (Saturday) and I saw the Samsung PN50B850 Plasma and decided to get it for the livingroom, but I would first do some reviews before slapping down $2069.00. Well guess what? To my chagrin when I went back to BB today it was selling for $2299.00. Well now that just put my panties in a bunch! I'll buy it online and forget about paying the sales tax...em, maybe not...

1). The screen cracks easily?
2). The set buzzes?

Are you kidding? Come on! I am so disappointed with some of the things I am reading about this set. The Sammy looks awesome. I own a
Panny th50pz850u and thought the sammy had a better looking picture. I have the feeling I'll have to buy it from BB to insure that if I have an issue
I'll be able to take it back.

I have a some questions...

1. What is the difference between the pn50B850 and the pn50b860? One online vendor has the 860 as not having ethernet connectivity, but the 850 as having it? I went to Samsung's site and it states that all the 8 series plasmas don't have ethernet..? Does it or doesn't it?

2. Does the panel have a tendency to crack? I guess that would rule out getting it shipped to me huh? There are some really good prices out there for the PN50B850.

3. Buzzing? I remember buying a 30" LCD pc monitor from HP that buzzed loud enough that I returned it, but then again your face is like 3 feet away from it. Does this set really buzz that loud? Can you hear it from 10 feet?

4. If you were to buy one of these sammys what model would you buy? Is there one that has a newer production date. Is the 860 a newer model than the 850? Is the PS a newer model than the PN?

Thanks for any help!

First of all you really need to realize this forum is mostly a bitchfest.
Therefore you will read about worst case scenarios not best case here.

1. Download the owners manual and do some READING. I have and it has a LAN connection. And you can get the Samsung wireless adapter that plugs into one of 2 USB ports.

2. All of these units are shipped via truck and it really depends on how the company handles the display...there really haven't been a plethora of complaints about this. Glass can get broken in shipment if handled poorly...applies to all brands.

3. Everyone's hearing is different and everyone is more sensitive to something than someone else. My hearing is the worst. But I have seen 3 different 860s in different stores. I have no issue with buzzing or heat and neither does my 21 year old son.

4. After 6 bad A650 screens (pink issue and they are refunding me) I'm sticking with Samsung because of the picture and value. I can get a 58" b860 now for so much less than my a650 hat I bought about a year ago, that I can pocket a large sum of money. I'm not worried about buzzing at all. The 850 (if you have read here in this thread) supposedly doesn't have Cinema Smooth and the 860 does and there may be some other differences. There is a debate about that. Never heard of a PS model...overseas designation?

I was a newb too.
So get a beer or a cup of tea or something on the rocks sit your ass down and read the posts about the product(s) you are interested in and learn.
BUT
Don't base your decision on everything you read here....opinions are like ***holes everyone has them but there are some here that are professionals, IE sponsors and calibrators...I would pay attention to them to a degree. Purchase what you like...it's the PICTURE that pleases. Oh and then there is your wallet.
If these issues worry you get the Panasonic V10....
post #648 of 3219 Old 06-21-2009, 06:20 PM

I have used AVS for quite some time to gain information. I am by no means an expert on any AV equipment. However, I have an older Sony XBR, a plasma Panasonic 800u, surround sound etc, all installed by myself.

Anyhow, I just bought the 58 inch 860 and really like it. For me, I have not had the buzzing issue, its not hot, no bleeding lines, etc. The picture is extremely good, especially for a large TV. It has occasional blurry scenes, but some of that depends on the source. I have not seen it with my Blu-ray. I have not calibrated it but I will in the future once it burns up some hours.

Its a very nice TV. I liked it better than the LCD Samsung that I took back. It was a nice picture, but way to much blurring on sports.

Just my thoughts. But I would welcome to see what others are using for their settings.
post #649 of 3219 Old 06-21-2009, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really a newb, just a bit concerned about reading a pattern of problems. Buzzing is not good, to me it means an over heat issue or component overclock. That's not a good thing for component longevity. Downloading the manual IS a good suggestion. Getting YOUR feed back as an owner is also a good thing. There's an old saying in business, "A happy customer tells 5 friends and an unhappy customer tells 10 friends". I understand about the "bitch fest" part. I do appreciate you reminding me of that as I've taken the ball and ran with it. I am curious though, how is there a "debate" about cinema smooth, either it has it or it doesn't. I guess the PS is a european designation, although I'm not sure and that is why I asked. Yes, the panny v10 is now on my list and I will have to check it out also...
So, what model do you own? I have grabbed a beer and sat my ass down for the last 4 hours and have become truly disoriented... I'm assuming there are only 4 series 8 models out there...correct? If you look at Samsung's web site they show in the specs the 4 different models as NOT having a ethernet connection. Believe me, I am reading...me and my Heineken. There is a lot of mis information out there. Thank you for clearing up the ethernet port question.
post #650 of 3219 Old 06-21-2009, 06:40 PM

jss1
Thanks for the reply. I am looking at that model in particular. I think I may wait a bit just to see what the panny v10 has to bring to the table. I feel better now that you and Nolanski are happy with your sammys. I'm not too happy that Nolanski had to take back his set 3 times though. I won't be able to do that if I purchase it online.

edit: 6 times...
post #651 of 3219 Old 06-21-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArborBarber View Post

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really a newb, just a bit concerned about reading a pattern of problems. Buzzing is not good, to me it means an over heat issue or component overclock. That's not a good thing for component longevity. Downloading the manual IS a good suggestion. Getting YOUR feed back as an owner is also a good thing. There's an old saying in business, "A happy customer tells 5 friends and an unhappy customer tells 10 friends". I understand about the "bitch fest" part. I do appreciate you reminding me of that as I've taken the ball and ran with it. I am curious though, how is there a "debate" about cinema smooth, either it has it or it doesn't. I guess the PS is a european designation, although I'm not sure and that is why I asked. Yes, the panny v10 is now on my list and I will have to check it out also...
So, what model do you own? I have grabbed a beer and sat my ass down for the last 4 hours and have become truly disoriented... I'm assuming there are only 4 series 8 models out there...correct? If you look at Samsung's web site they show in the specs the 4 different models as NOT having a ethernet connection. Believe me, I am reading...me and my Heineken. There is a lot of mis information out there. Thank you for clearing up the ethernet port question.

OK Very cool..

I know all about heat and it affects electronics. Simply, in my opinion none of the Samsungs or Panasonics have gotten too hot to touch or hold my hand onto like some have overstated here really..it's ridiculous about the heat. Plasma simply has more heat output than LCD....and I think that's where the comparison comes from.

Buzzing is bad I agree ESP when watching QUIET scenes that require it...and I agree that there have been some problematic screens with this model. Plasma buzzing is normal to an extent it's part of the tech even Pioneer has had a buzzing issue and there is a thread dedicated to it on AVS. But it doesn't sway me.

As far as CS is concerned between the 850 and 860 I have read here that the CS can only be accessed via the service menu (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but seems to not make a difference.

I have a A650 getting a Samsung refund and with it getting a B860 next week buzzing be damned! The picture has so much better depth and detail compared to the Panasonic G10 .....in my opinion.

That's all I have for now I have fer now.
post #652 of 3219 Old 06-21-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison123 View Post

I'll say this. Either I'm getting used to the buzz OR its slowly decreasing. Maybe just maybe it has something to do with the break in on the set.

Same experience here, thought it was just me.
post #653 of 3219 Old 06-22-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXM View Post

# Uneven whites, in the middle of the screen is pink-ish, the left side green-ish

# Bad line bleeding

# Watching SD or HD I sometimes see shimmering in the background on panning shots,but I'm more surprised to see it on HD

Mine arrives on Tuesday, after reading a post like this I am seriously thinking about cancelling. What shall I do?
post #654 of 3219 Old 06-22-2009, 02:35 AM
MXM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXM View Post

# Bad line bleeding

You can clearly see the discolouration and line bleeding.
LL
post #655 of 3219 Old 06-22-2009, 06:57 AM

I had line bleed on my set too!

Line bleed, buzz and bad black level, you can do better Samsung!
post #656 of 3219 Old 06-22-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanski View Post

First of all you really need to realize this forum is mostly a bitchfest.
Therefore you will read about worst case scenarios not best case here.......

To add my 2 cents worth, in many cases we, the reader, don't know ALL of the details of the TV that "went bad." What are all of the variables involved? What is the source of the signal (cable, SAT, over the air, DVD or Blue-Ray player), how is it connected to the TV, (HDMI, composite, component, whatever). Are the ferrite cores being used? Samsung didn't spend money to include ferrite cores with the PN58B860 for nothing. We can all "assume" that the problem is the TV, but maybe the TV is just displaying what it is receiving. The TV does have a TEST image, is the problem also in the test image?
Menu/Support/Self Diagnosis/Picture Test (or "Sound Test")

I've read some people complaining about not getting 5.1 sound out of the TV to go the home theater system. But the Samsung PN??B860 manual clearly says in a "note" that TV will NOT pass 5.1 through the TV to the TV's digital output. If you want 5.1 sound from an external source (such as cablebox or SAT) you must connect the 5.1 source directly to the home theater and NOT go through the TV. Like it or not, this is a limitation of the TV, not a defect.

When I look at my TV playing a Blu-ray disk, I am truly please that I made the choice for my PN58B860.
post #657 of 3219 Old 06-22-2009, 07:57 AM
MXM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkan View Post

I had line bleed on my set too!

Line bleed, buzz and bad black level, you can do better Samsung!

It's a real shame, because I had high hopes for the 850.

I don't want to take the risk of another faulty screen, so I've now gone for the Kuro LX6090.
post #658 of 3219 Old 06-22-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbdlatc View Post

To add my 2 cents worth, in many cases we, the reader, don't know ALL of the details of the TV that "went bad." What are all of the variables involved? What is the source of the signal (cable, SAT, over the air, DVD or Blue-Ray player), how is it connected to the TV, (HDMI, composite, component, whatever). Are the ferrite cores being used? Samsung didn't spend money to include ferrite cores with the PN58B860 for nothing. We can all "assume" that the problem is the TV, but maybe the TV is just displaying what it is receiving. The TV does have a TEST image, is the problem also in the test image?

I've read some people complaining about not getting 5.1 sound out of the TV to go the home theater system. But the Samsung PN??B860 manual clearly says in a "note" that TV will NOT pass 5.1 through the TV to the TV's digital output. If you want 5.1 sound from an external source (such as cablebox or SAT) you must connect the 5.1 source directly to the home theater and NOT go through the TV. Like it or not, this is a limitation of the TV, not a defect.

When I look at my TV playing a Blu-ray disk, I am truly please that I made the choice for my PN58B860.

The ferrite cores do nothing for the TV...please search the A650 thread Doug Blackburn explains thier purpose and they have something to do with upstream line conditioning and do nothing for the display or noise.
post #659 of 3219 Old 06-22-2009, 09:32 AM
MXM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbdlatc View Post

I have a pioneer LX91 blu-ray player, good quality HDMI cable but never had this problem with my previous Kuro LX508.
The problem is with the screen and has nothing to do with the ferrite cores.

IMHO the mistake I made was moving from Kuro to Samsung, once you've seen how a Kuro preforms you can see what the fuss is all about, but no plasma is perfect.
If you're happy with your Samsung, that's great!
post #660 of 3219 Old 06-22-2009, 10:45 AM

I just noticed Cleveland Plasma dropped their price on the 58B860 by $600, which makes it a very competitive deal. And no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page