Samsung PNXXB850 & PNXXB860 Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3219 Old 05-20-2009, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Chad has an 860, perhaps he can do the comparison?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3219 Old 05-20-2009, 04:20 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta_23 View Post

I'm really not sure that I can detect a difference.

Can you?

In my opinion this video is useless. It is surely recorded at 60hz. So.........
post #183 of 3219 Old 05-20-2009, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Chad calibrated our set here at CP. No 850 on the horizon to test as of yet.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #184 of 3219 Old 05-20-2009, 04:27 PM

Question for Chad and or Chris. Of all of the models out, Pioneer excluded, where would the 860 place on your list if you were considering a new plasma?
post #185 of 3219 Old 05-20-2009, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

What size?

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #186 of 3219 Old 05-20-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveland plasma View Post

what size?

50"
post #187 of 3219 Old 05-20-2009, 05:00 PM

I simply love it.
post #188 of 3219 Old 05-20-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edthesped View Post

Question for Chad and or Chris. Of all of the models out, Pioneer excluded, where would the 860 place on your list if you were considering a new plasma?

Great question. Also, I have a question for both Chad and Chris. I'm in Northwest North Dakota, and have an 860 on order which I will be picking up sometime after July 1st. My question is this: I want to get the best picture out of it as I can, but don't know the best way to go about it. Chad, I doubt you "pass through" Northwest North Dakota often , and I definitely don't have the money to fly you out! So, is my best option to get some numbers from this forum, or just to study on how to calibrate a tv, or what?

I'm having trouble deciding, so your professional input would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have a computer background, and am in an IT field, so working with electronics is very fun for me, and I feel I learn quickly. The reason for telling you this is so you more understand what level I am on the technical side I have never calibrated or tried to calibrate a TV.

Thanks guys!
Paul
post #189 of 3219 Old 05-20-2009, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Buy one from us ( CP ) and we will ship it calibrated.

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #190 of 3219 Old 05-20-2009, 07:06 PM

I didn't know that was an option... sounds like a great idea!
post #191 of 3219 Old 05-20-2009, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3ro View Post

There is a huge difference if you turn cinema smooth on and off, it is noticeably smoother, still not perfect but there is definitely a difference.

On the 860 or on a hacked 850? Please clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3ro View Post

And the video with the credits is pretty pointless

Others claimed rolling credits is where it's easiest to tell the difference between cinema smooth on and off; delta_23 said he couldn't tell a difference on his hacked 850.

for my home theater setup
post #192 of 3219 Old 05-20-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Calibrate without break-in? Is that wise?
post #193 of 3219 Old 05-20-2009, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleq11 View Post

Per BB Magnolia tech - B850 does not have cinema smooth, but the B860 does in fact have that feature at 96hz. I believe the TV's are essentially the same. The fact that one can find Cinema Smooth labeling within the B850 adjustments must only mean Samsung simply disabled the feature on the B850 without changing the directory.

BB Magnolia tech?
post #194 of 3219 Old 05-20-2009, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post

I'll break her in. 100 hours

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #195 of 3219 Old 05-20-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

On the 860 or on a hacked 850? Please clarify.

Others claimed rolling credits is where it's easiest to tell the difference between cinema smooth on and off; delta_23 said he couldn't tell a difference on his hacked 850.

I can tell a difference on my B650. I watched Lethal Weapon BluRay the other day and during the opening credits there is a long panning scene and the motion looks jerky with CS off and smooth with it on.
post #196 of 3219 Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

All this for no extra charge?
post #197 of 3219 Old 05-20-2009, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post

Quote:

Excellent Chris. I'll keep it in mind but I'm still considering my options. I applaud not only your presence on the forums but your creativity in coming up with ways to add value to the industry. I expect you and your company will be around for a long time to come. Cheers!
post #198 of 3219 Old 05-20-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:

Chris,

Thanks, but I already purchased it through Best Buy for the 3 year 0% financing, so I'm wondering what I can do now... The financing was a big thing to me, since I'm also buying a house. It is very nice to have the monthly payment and not a lump sum. Plus, it's nothing against you at all, but I'm the kind of guy to want to be the one to take it out of the box new, and be the first to turn it on and mess with it

Knowing this, I'm asking your guys' advice.

Thanks
post #199 of 3219 Old 05-21-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edthesped View Post

Good question!
post #200 of 3219 Old 05-21-2009, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAMattD View Post

Fair enough, figured it was worth asking. Question though - Can you explain what the "cell light" setting is and if it should be messed with at all, as opposed to just using brightness/contrast? There's a thread about it but it's long degenerated into childish bickering (deja vu...)

The best I can tell is that it seems to be like a power consumption limiter. As you turn it down the set acts like it has a progressively weaker power supply. Best performance is with it turned all the way up to 10. But if you are concerned about power consumption and/or image retention more than ultimate PQ you could turn it down (like maybe if it were used in an airport listing flight delays, etc).

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #201 of 3219 Old 05-21-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:

While that is a very generous offer, and thank you for being willing to do that, isn't that going against the point in calibrating a TV? Chad B, in a post on the last page I believe, said that calibrating a TV is different for every TV AND for every environment. If that's the case, then even if you calibrate the TV there, ship it to someone, for it to be truly calibrated, wouldn't they need to have it done again?

I don't want to take anything away from the offer, and maybe I'm missing something here, but it was something I thought of.

Anyway, it's a moot point for me, since I had bought mine already. I just would really like to know what my best choice would be... Chad your thoughts?

Thank you,
Paul
post #202 of 3219 Old 05-21-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior668 View Post

In my opinion this video is useless. It is surely recorded at 60hz. So.........

Maybe, maybe not. I can tell you that the video looks like what I was seeing with my naked eyes; which is...I was really struggling to find a difference and I couldn't.

I would even rewind the same stretch of credits to watch over and over again in each mode.
post #203 of 3219 Old 05-21-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAMattD View Post

Can you post the settings you used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

It's going to be different from one sample to another, even the same model; I have seen the variation time and time again. Also, there are variations in source components, connections, etc. I might come up with very different settings than a different calibrator would; that is because a good calibration is both art and science.

How do I calibrate my TV without professional equipment?
post #204 of 3219 Old 05-21-2009, 08:47 AM
DB2
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Seriously? You would break it in and calibrate before shipping? What is the cost for this? Would you be willing to do that on the 63" model?

"I usually sit closer to 2 X screen width, or I look like a cat watching a ping pong tournament." -Free
post #205 of 3219 Old 05-21-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBird View Post

How do I calibrate my TV without professional equipment?

You pay someone with professional equipment to do it for you.

for my home theater setup
post #206 of 3219 Old 05-21-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

You pay someone with professional equipment to do it for you.

Span,

Would you trust someone from Best Buy to calibrate it for you?
post #207 of 3219 Old 05-21-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpert View Post

Span,

Would you trust someone from Best Buy to calibrate it for you?

It sounds like Chad completely calibrated it from the user menu, not the service menu. So if you just adjust it to what looks best to you, save your money and enjoy the set. I myself am still trying to decide between this set and the Panasonic V10, but plan to calibrate it myself to what looks good.
post #208 of 3219 Old 05-21-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usarcher View Post

It sounds like Chad completely calibrated it from the user menu, not the service menu. So if you just adjust it to what looks best to you, save your money and enjoy the set. I myself am still trying to decide between this set and the Panasonic V10, but plan to calibrate it myself to what looks good.

I agree with usarcher, that is what I plan on doing.
post #209 of 3219 Old 05-21-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usarcher View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmy999 View Post

I agree with usarcher, that is what I plan on doing.

Ok, well I guess that would save me a lot of trouble and headache! Do you guys have any tips on how to do this? I have looked a little in the Display Calibration section, but it seems pretty technical so far. I plan on reading a lot more in that section, but if you guys or anyone else can point me in the right direction or help me find a great start on how to calibrate it myself that would be awesome!

Thanks!
Paul
post #210 of 3219 Old 05-21-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpert View Post

Ok, well I guess that would save me a lot of trouble and headache! Do you guys have any tips on how to do this? I have looked a little in the Display Calibration section, but it seems pretty technical so far. I plan on reading a lot more in that section, but if you guys or anyone else can point me in the right direction or help me find a great start on how to calibrate it myself that would be awesome!

Thanks!
Paul

Well if you have any Pixar DVDs, not sure if the blu rays have it or not, but they have a section for THX calibration. Its a good place to start and probably all you really need. If you want to go deeper, there is a blu ray calibration you can buy.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page