AVS Forum banner

LG 60PS60 - Owners Thread

105K views 379 replies 138 participants last post by  TechToaster 
#1 ·
Well, if sears comes through, I should be getting the LG 60PS60 in tomorrow between 10:30am - 12:30pm, if I do, i'll be following up with pictures and other thoughts.

Any other people that get this tv, post your thoughts also.

Update:

Well they delivered this morning
I will post later tomorrow about it all, but right now, no complaints yet. One thing i noticed is that the orbiter (to reduce image retention) was not turned on by default. so be sure to turn that on right after turning on the unit the first time.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had purchased the 60PG60 from Futureshop a couple of weeks ago and finally finished my home theatre when I noticed 1 stuck pixel (shows red at all times except on a fully black or white screen) and called FS. They are replacing my open box 60PG60 with a new 60PS60 sometime in the next two weeks so I will be a (hopefully) happy PS60 owner. Let me know how yours is!

#4 ·
according to the LG website, the PS versions have a higher resolution.

Interestingly the PS30, PS60, PS80 all have the higher resolutions with the PS80 having THX as the only difference I can see.

Also a weird thing is that I have seen the PG60 selling for more than the PS60---perhaps there was a typo, but in this day i would NOT buy a PQ with the lower resolution

#6 ·
Bought from Sears. $2599.99 - $400 disc - $220 (10% off using Sears cc) = $1979.99 plus tax & delivery. I'm glad I went for decent plasma quality and size versus a lot of bells and whistles. I'll get Internet access and all the frills on a new bluray player or receiver.

Anybody know the code for a Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC STB? The two listed in the manual don't work and the LG remote sucks at trying all codes in sequence. Have to press MENU+MUTE, wait for STB light on, enter the next 3-digit code, press MENU and then POWER each time. Most good remotes will allow a mode where you press the + key to go to the next code and then you press Power. I stopped at 040; worst case that's only 959 more to go

And yes don't forget to turn the Image Shift Method (ISM) from Normal (which means off - go figure) to Orbiter to minimize burn in issues.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maoli /forum/post/16624856

Bought[/URL] from Sears. $2599.99 - $400 disc - $220 (10% off using Sears cc) = $1979.99 plus tax & delivery. I'm glad I went for decent plasma quality and size versus a lot of bells and whistles. I'll get Internet access and all the frills on a new bluray player or receiver.

Anybody know the code for a Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC STB? The two listed in the manual don't work and the LG remote sucks at trying all codes in sequence. Have to press MENU+MUTE, wait for STB light on, enter the next 3-digit code, press MENU and then POWER each time. Most good remotes will allow a mode where you press the + key to go to the next code and then you press Power. I stopped at 040; worst case that's only 959 more to go

And yes don't forget to turn the Image Shift Method (ISM) from Normal (which means off - go figure) to Orbiter to minimize burn in issues.
http://***************/9/R/i.jpg[/IMG[/URL] ]
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you got a good price..I'd also like to know about a code for the Scientific Atlanta 8300

#13 ·
Actually the dynamic ratio is 2M:1 for both. The 60PS11 obviously does not have THX Cinema mode, and the menu for some reason does not include Picture Wizard. There are 3xHDMI inputs on it versus 4 on the 60PS60. I think it also lacks the single pane of glass in the front. Other than that they look very similar in capability. I am glad We have a Fry's near here that sold me the 60PS11 for $1,799. The 60PS60 is quite a bit more usually.

#14 ·
Comparing the spec sheets on the USA and CA LG websites, differences are shown below. The big difference to me is 1080p with the rest nominal including THX. If possible you should see 1080p versus 720p. I can see the difference but, again, that's just me. I bought the 60PS60 for $1980 plus tax, shipping.

60PS60 60PS11

_____________________ _____________________

1080p 720p

THX

Single Layer Design

Picture Wizard

LG SimpLink Connectivity

Auto Volume Leveler

4 HDMI 2 HDMI

2 Composite 1 Composite

USB 2.0

PC Connectivity

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maoli /forum/post/16766298

Comparing the spec sheets on the USA and CA LG websites, differences are shown below. The big difference to me is 1080p with the rest nominal including THX. If possible you should see 1080p versus 720p. I can see the difference but, again, that's just me. I bought the 60PS60 for $1980 plus tax, shipping.

60PS60 60PS11

_____________________ _____________________

1080p 720p

THX

Single Layer Design

Picture Wizard

LG SimpLink Connectivity

Auto Volume Leveler

4 HDMI 2 HDMI

2 Composite 1 Composite

USB 2.0

PC Connectivity

The 720P is a typo and contradicted elsewhere on their site (including the second page of that same spec. sheet) and on the bezel of the TV. LG 60PS11 has a full 1080P panel just like the 60PS60. In fact I am 99.9% sure it is the exact same panel used in both since all the performance specs are so close. It also has Simplink (not sure I will ever need to use it). It has 3 HDMI ports, and 2 composite ports, not 2 and 1 (there is one more of each on the side panel), and it does have a USB port on the side (which I can't imagine not being a 2.0 in this day and age). I am not sure what you mean by PC connectivity, but with an HDMI to DVI cable one should be able hook this set up to an HTPC. It also has a VGA port in the back for hooking it up to the PC if you prefer it that way. Auto Volume leveler is also included with 60PS11. The best source of information on this TV is the online manual found here http://www.lge.com/us/support/produc...Tab=documents# . For some reason, this one reads like an abridged version of the 60PS60 online manual, but almost all of that one can be applied verbatim to the 60PS11.

The prices at Fry's in Georgia are now $1,698 for the July 4th Sale. This set is such a steal at those prices, I was LMAO at the folks gazing intently at the smaller, more expensive, and much less impressive Samsung "LED" TV, while ignoring this plasma just around the corner. You did get a good deal on the 60PS60, but it seems to be a bit more now (in the neighborhood of $2,300). The 60PS60 is a good bargain (especially if you value the extra options it has), but I found the 60PS11 for nothing short of a spectacular bargain at these prices. Time will tell if I made the right choice.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger /forum/post/16767974

rajendra82, do you have the link to Fry's deals in Atlanta ? I may go check it out tomorrow.

The Fry's online site does not have links to the ads that are published in the local papers each week, so they are still listing the TV at $2,099, while the local stores are selling it for $1,698 this weekend through next Thursday. There are two Fry's in Atlanta. One is in Duluth (adjacent to Gwinnett Place Mall), the other is in Alpharetta/Milton (just north of Windward Parkway on Highway 9). Their addresses and maps are here:

http://www.frys.com/isp/duluth.html

http://www.frys.com/isp/milton.html

#19 ·
Agreed, if the 60PS11 has the same 1080p plasma panel and core specs, the rest is just frills to me. So far the THX hasn't been my preferred setting for Time Warner 1080i or DVD (haven't tried bluray yet). I'd get the frills on the bluray player (like the LG BD390) or the receiver. I did notice the Sears discounted price for the 60PS60 went up by at least $180 so sales must have been good. 60PS11 sounds like a great deal.

#20 ·
I picked up a 60PS11 at Future Shop (canada) for $1949CAD a week and a half ago, and I'm loving it. I wasn't planning on buying a new TV to replace my 42" Samsung until I moved into the new house, but at the price it was hard to resist.

The PQ is awesome when it's dark, but it has HUGE issues with glare and reflections. It's not a big deal to me because it will be a basement TV, but if this is going in a livingroom with large windows, I think you'll have issues with daytime viewing. Also, I have one stuck pixel (red also) but I'll see if it works itself out after break in.

#21 ·
I noticed one stuck(?) pixel on my 60PS11, which works fine most of the time, but when displaying some dark blue colors (like those static screens on the break-in DVD) it glows a light cyan color. Oddly when the screen is light blue, yellow, red, green, black, white, or any other hue, this pixel works normally. Not a huge issue with me, because even with a solid blue static screen, I can't see it against the background at my normal viewing distance. Reflections and glare are certainly issues in daytime viewing, but we are getting some room darkening cellular window shades installed soon, so these shall be resolved too.

#22 ·
I got this TV today. Looks beautiful to my untrained eye.

Originally I had ordered the 60PS11 but according to the guys at "Visions" LG is no longer shipping that model (in Canada at least) so I paid an extra $200 and got the 60PS60.

Here's a picture of the new TV, all wall mounted (but in a messy room)

(I can't post a direct link as I don't have the required 3 posts to do so yet)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.