Question about Panasonic plasma panel replacement under warranty - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-31-2009, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone,
My three month old Panasonic 50pz800u plasma just blew. It made a loud "pop" and wouldn't power back on. It had four blinking lights on the LED display. I called hhgregg and they referred me to Norman electronics for repair under the warranty. After waiting three weeks, a guy came out with all new power sources and he was able to power the tv up but then noticed a big black line running down the screen. He said that it was a "panel" issue now and that he called in for a "new" panel. He said it should be at their shop in 7-10 business days. Then they will send two guys out to do a panel change out.
What questions and/or concerns should I have about this??
Will the panel/tv need to be re-calibrated? if so..should the tech take care of this at the time of swap..if so how? should I just ask for a new tv? They no longer make the 50pz800u and I really liked the idea of the THX certification. Any advise on this issue would greatly be appreciated.
Thank you all for your time....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-01-2009, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Calibration is part of any panel exchange. Only certain service centers are authorized to perform panel changes after receiving Factory training.

T Wiz

Techniwizard posts as an Independent Servicer
post #3 of 4 Old 06-01-2009, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
We change panels all the time. The factory calibrations are actually pretty decent most of the time, with some sets you enter the data into the service menu that is stamped on the new panel.

You can ask for a new TV but I doubt the store you bought it from or Panasonic will provide one. Most stores will only exchange sets for 30 days, and that time is getting shorter at some stores.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-01-2009, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

We change panels all the time. The factory calibrations are actually pretty decent most of the time, with some sets you enter the data into the service menu that is stamped on the new panel.

You can ask for a new TV but I doubt the store you bought it from or Panasonic will provide one. Most stores will only exchange sets for 30 days, and that time is getting shorter at some stores.

Thank you so much for the info. I just spoke with the service company doing the replacement and they confirmed exactly what you said.
The panels come pre-calibrated from Panasonic and that it would be taken care of at the time of the change out. Is there anything else I should be concerned about or make sure that they do when they are here? Sorry if I sound overly concerned...I spent a lot for the TV and get scared when something like this happens...Thanks again for all your help!!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page