Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 257 Old 08-22-2009, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salo707 View Post

I have this same problem. Most of the HD channels I get have the black bars on the sides of the screen. I know Panasonic and Pioneer plasmas are able to stretch the content to fill the entire screen without distorting the picture.

You can fill the entire screen through Cinema Zoom, it ranges from 1-16 I believe. BUT when you do this the picture is distorted and parts of the original content are cut off. The same thing happens when I try to fill the entire screen when watching widescreen 16:9 content on blu-ray, zooming in to fill up the screen cuts off some of the original content.

Anyone know how to stretch screen content to fill the entire screen without sacrificing parts of the picture? Panasonic plasmas are able to do this, I think it's called H-Fill.

The sidebars in HD channel are there when shows that are 4:3 are broadcast with black sidebars as a 16:9 signal by the broadcasters (primetime reality shows and daytime shows are when this happens most frequently). This is no different than the times when ESPN HD shows a 4:3 portion of the screen with sidebars showing ESPN HD embossed in them.

On the LG 60PS11 there is no mode that stretches the picture horizontally to zoom in on the central 4:3 portion of a 16:9 HD signal. What you could do instead is switch to the SD versions of those channels if possible. On those broadcasts, the picture is a true 4:3 picture with no sidebars broadcast with the image. If you watch such a channel in 4:3 aspect mode, you will see gray sidebars generated by the TV. If you chose 16:9 aspect ratio instead, the TV will stretch the picture horizontally to fill the screen with no sidebars. If no SD simulcast is available for that channel, Cinema Zoom is your only option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 257 Old 08-22-2009, 10:15 AM

rajendra82,

Thanks for the response. I'm very disappointed that most of my HD channels are like this. I got this tv mostly for HD channels and Blu-Ray, and I'm finding out that the majority of the HD programming I receive have those black bars on the sides, and stretching it out with cinema zoom sacrifices parts of the picture. Same thing when I zoom in on my Blu-Ray movies.

Could this possibly be another difference between the PS11 and the PS60? I understand that the PS60 has a "Picture Wizard" function where as my PS11 does not. Maybe there is a way to properly stretch screen content on the PS60 through Picture Wizard, and the PS11 simply doesn't have this ability?

Another disappointing aspect of this TV is that IMO standard definition DVD's which are upconverted through my LG BD 370 look significantly worse on this television compared to every other television I've owned, from 4 year old Panasonic plasmas to 10 year old Toshiba and Zenith "tube" televisions.
post #93 of 257 Old 08-22-2009, 05:34 PM

The picture wizard feature is for self calibrating it has on screen reference points for contrast, brightness, etc.. it has nothing to do with the aspect ratio .
post #94 of 257 Old 08-22-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salo707 View Post

rajendra82,

Another disappointing aspect of this TV is that IMO standard definition DVD's which are upconverted through my LG BD 370 look significantly worse on this television compared to every other television I've owned, from 4 year old Panasonic plasmas to 10 year old Toshiba and Zenith "tube" televisions.

Have you tried different output resolutions on your BD 370?
To see if the PS11 may do a better job upconverting than the Bluray player.
post #95 of 257 Old 08-22-2009, 07:59 PM

I believe that the fault with the upconverted DVD display is with the player or your setup and not the TV itself. After all, once they get upconverted, the TV would not know the difference between the DVD data and any other natively HD signal at the same resolution, and would process them exactly the same way. Have you set the TV for just scan aspect ratio and not 16:9 or per program. I have seen that with just scan, the HD signal gets displayed with zero over scan, and that gets rid of any scaling artifacts present when the same signal is shown using the other two aspect ratios. The DVDs upconverted by my $98 Wal-Mart Magnavox NB500MGX player look phenomenal on the LG 60PS11 when I set the aspect ratio to just scan. Also make sure that you turn off the noise reduction, dynamic contrast, dynamic color, and edge enhancement, and set color temperature to warm.
post #96 of 257 Old 08-29-2009, 03:30 AM

OK, so I decided to get the 60PS11 instead of the Samsung. The larger display combined with the much lower price was what clinched it for me. I felt that while the Samsung had more intrinsic features, I was primarily going to use the TV as a display and not much else, so a lot of add-ons would mostly go to waste.
The TV was delivered in good shape, and installation was fairly straight-forward. Short of applying expert calibration on the color (later!) I decided to go with the expert 2 setting (I had read about the early burn-in from high contrast/high saturation on plasmas, and expert 2 appears a little more natural, lower contrast, and realistic saturation).
I also bought a Harmony 880 to control my setup (TV, Yamaha tuner, Fios Box, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PS2, and PC). Obviously the Harmony couldn't control the PS3 and Wii right out of the box, but I was pleasantly surprised at how nicely it took control of the 360.
The TV looks very good, and in my setup I didn't have any of the screen reflection issues a lot of people have been pointing out. To be exact, it's probably even better with this than the 62" Mitsu DLP it's replacing.
I've only seen one rogue pixel (not dead, just brighter than the rest), and it only seemed to fire up when I was showing a pure blue screen.
The only weird issue I've seen so far is with trying to set the input directly to Component 2. The Harmony will jump to Component 1, AV1, HDMI1, etc. but when it tries to jump to Component 2 it does nothing. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the Harmony database or with the TV, but I worked around it by capturing the IR code for the INPUT menu button from the LG remote and adding a sequence to "select component 1; show Input menu; move right; select", which does the trick, but is obviously a kludge.
In terms of burn-in, the only thing I've seen so far is that after I'd been using my PC on the TV for a while setting up the Harmony, the white edge of the browser window left a few very faint trails. I did a quick white screen wipe (15 seconds or so) and that seemed to clear it up.
post #97 of 257 Old 08-31-2009, 05:36 PM

Well I just found this tv from Costca.ca available for $2100 but am really interested from any of you who are using this as an htpc and how does the LG handle for gaming and such?

The tv's I'm considering are the Panny PN65s1 for $2700 us, the PN58v10 for $2400 us (both from Cleveland plasma), or this lg for $2199 canadian from Costco.ca

Thanks
post #98 of 257 Old 09-02-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nemesis View Post

Well I just found this tv from Costca.ca available for $2100 but am really interested from any of you who are using this as an htpc and how does the LG handle for gaming and such?

The tv's I'm considering are the Panny PN65s1 for $2700 us, the PN58v10 for $2400 us (both from Cleveland plasma), or this lg for $2199 canadian from Costco.ca

Thanks

If you can wait a couple of weeks, I'll be able to give you insight regarding gaming.

I've purchased a 60Ps11 from Costco and I will be using it with a Sony PS3 to play games, view SD and HD video, as well as Blu Ray movies. Now I just need to finish my home theater room before hooking up the lovely thing.

As soon as I get to tinker with it a bit I'll report back here for the gaming aspect!
post #99 of 257 Old 09-02-2009, 10:29 AM

Cleveland Plasma has the LG 60PS60 for $1,700 US, about $1,880 CAD. May be other variables for you to consider, however.
post #100 of 257 Old 09-06-2009, 03:14 PM

So picked up the 60ps11 today. Now the manual says to hook up the pc you can use any of the inputs. Now of course I'd like to use an hdmi input but when I select any of them, my Windows 7 desktop is all cut off.

What should I/Can I do?
post #101 of 257 Old 09-06-2009, 03:21 PM

resize from windows. it should fix the overscan
post #102 of 257 Old 09-06-2009, 03:36 PM

Here's the problem. When I switch to hdmi, I can't see any windows icons at all, or even the taskbar. I can see the windows 7 rc watermark in the bottom right corner but that's all. And even though I can right click and bring up the taskbar menu, when I click on Catalyst Control Center it loads but does not show up on the screen.

But when I switch back to RGB-PC input, all the windows I opened are there.
post #103 of 257 Old 09-17-2009, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Have you tried the aspect ration on the TV that is called something like "set by program"? It may adjust the picture size for you until you can fix the output from your pc.

Lorenzo
post #104 of 257 Old 09-17-2009, 07:22 AM

I saw someone mention earlier about the advantage of THX certified is you don't need a calibration. From the owner of last years 50PG60 - the THX mode was unwatchable (worse than me fiddling with the controls). I did have the TV professionally calibrated and it is a joy to watch (colors pop, skin tones, etc).
post #105 of 257 Old 09-29-2009, 10:04 AM

anyone able to calibrate the color system management
post #106 of 257 Old 10-01-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:

I've had my 60PS11 for about two weeks now, I've been using the TV with my PS3 to play games stream movies from my PC.

While I must say I didn't clock that many playing/watching hours, I've been very satisfied with the TV so far. I'm not quite done tweaking and testing the TV but so far, so good.

Blacks are pretty black - not as black as i was lead to expect from a plasma (but that might be an incorrect setup on my part), colors are great (especially since i'm keeping the brightness low in the first 100 hours as a precautionnary measure), response time is great, games and videos are silky smooth and sharp. It's all good... except for the sound. Depending on the source the sound ranges from acceptable to plain lousy - in some movies I haven't been able to adjust the sound correctly to hear the voices ok (with or without the "Clearvoice" thingy enabled)

Those invisible speakers are best left turned off - can't wait to connect my home theater. Other than that, very happy with my purchase.

If you're curious, here are the stuff I tried and some comments.

Mirrror's Edge.... Jumping from building to building on that monster makes for a very immersive experience!
PixelJunk Eden.... beautiful and extremely smooth - and that game runs in native 1080p so it's ultra-sharp
Terminator 2 (Director's cut 1080p) - niiiiiiiiice... lots of black scenes in that flick - the black levels are very deep and well rendered by the TV.
The only thing i've noticed is that most black scenes are not perfectly black (if I look at the tv very closely i can still see some slight dithering). But that might be the PS3 or the source contents, as the TV's menus are perfectly black with no dithering).

Didn't try any BluRays yet, will report when I do.
post #107 of 257 Old 10-01-2009, 09:43 AM

To the original poster.................its a television.
post #108 of 257 Old 10-02-2009, 04:38 PM

Well I got the ps11 and it is a great tv for my unprofessional eyes. Yeah the blacks aren't Kuro blacks but they are good enough for me I find. Here's my beef though.

I still cannot get this tv to display my htpc setup properly on the screen through hdmi. When I set up the tv through Catalyst control center as my only screen, the display then shows up with the windows 7 desktop background but no icons and no taskbar. And therefore I cannot access the Control center to actually do anything to adjust the screen or picture.

Should this be such a PITA to work via hdmi and am I not losing out on a better picture going through vga instead of hdmi?

I hope some of you with this set and successfully running it as an htpc can chime in here for me with some tips.

Cheers.
post #109 of 257 Old 10-06-2009, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sounds like one of 2 things...you have the TV aspect ratio set to zoom mode-reset to "set by program" or your video card is either set to the wrong setting...not 1920x1080 or it can't handle that setting.

Mine works perfectly at 1920x1080 btw so I would think it has something to do with either the TV's aspect ratio setting or your video card.

Lorenzo
post #110 of 257 Old 10-06-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Well I got the ps11 and it is a great tv for my unprofessional eyes. Yeah the blacks aren't Kuro blacks but they are good enough for me I find. Here's my beef though.

I still cannot get this tv to display my htpc setup properly on the screen through hdmi. When I set up the tv through Catalyst control center as my only screen, the display then shows up with the windows 7 desktop background but no icons and no taskbar. And therefore I cannot access the Control center to actually do anything to adjust the screen or picture.

Should this be such a PITA to work via hdmi and am I not losing out on a better picture going through vga instead of hdmi?

I hope some of you with this set and successfully running it as an htpc can chime in here for me with some tips.

Cheers.

I switched my cheap LCD monitor from DVI to VGA in order to pass the Blu-Ray copy protection without HDCP (which works over the analog connection unencrypted, but needs encryption to work over the digital connection). I can't tell any difference in PQ between VGA and DVI (which should be exactly the same as HDMI). If VGA works, go with it for your HTPC. You will not be losing anything.
post #111 of 257 Old 10-07-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 View Post

I switched my cheap LCD monitor from DVI to VGA in order to pass the Blu-Ray copy protection without HDCP (which works over the analog connection unencrypted, but needs encryption to work over the digital connection). I can't tell any difference in PQ between VGA and DVI (which should be exactly the same as HDMI). If VGA works, go with it for your HTPC. You will not be losing anything.

Beg to differ. From my experience there is a noticeable difference between any display receiving an analog (VGA) signal and digital (HDMI or DVI) one. Images are much crisper and clean via a digital input, whereas they are more smudged, more blurry via analog.

I've had to switch from DVI to VGA for my computer display recently, bleargh.... I felt like I needed glasses, the image was blurry and not sharp at all.

Of course it depends on the TV's capabilities as well - I did not try the 60PS11 with a VGA connection, but I'm 99.9% certain that a connection via a VGA cable will give you lesser image quality than a connection via HDMI. It also depends on your own eyes.... when seated 10 feet away from it, the difference *might* not be that noticeable. Your mileage may vary.... try it out and let us know!

(But I would still try to fix your display problem before going to VGA... that should be your last resort! )

Good luck.
post #112 of 257 Old 10-07-2009, 03:54 PM

Well I'm still at an impasse here. Firstly here's what I've noticed...currently I have the hdmi3 connection setup via catalyst ccc as my 2ndary display and that ccc had that set for 1360x1024. So I switched that to 1920x1080 and then changed my imput to hdmi3.

I am now seeing the exact same screen (dimension wise) as through my vga EXCEPT that all this is displaying is my win7 desktop with no taskbar, icons or anything.

I went through the options via the tv remote to see if I could find a zoom option to turn off but there wasn't anything like that that I could find.

I am going to try and setup the hdmi as my only connection and see what happens...will post back in a bit.

Edit #2

So I switched to hdmi-2 and now I am able to see the firefox windows I have open and the task bar is showing but everything is still not displaying 1:1. I still can't see any desktop icons and the taskbar only shows the top half. And another strange thing is that the text when viewing through hdmi is actually blurrier than through vga. I also changed the input label on hdmi-2 and hdmi-3 to PC but that does not seem to make any diff at all. Will try hdmi-1 now, not expecting anything better though.

Edit #3

Still the same issues via hdmi-1.

ARghhhh

I know that if the pic looks fine through vga then why fiddle with something that ain't broken...but I've heard that using digital source instead of analog is always better and so I'd like to be able to use the hdmi option for my setup and have it work and display properly. For now I'll switch back to vga.

Edit #4

Ok, I am now viewing properly via hdmi-3 and I'm not really sure what I did. I unplugged the vga cord, and tried viewing strictly through the hdmi. That didn't work so I tried viewing only through the vga but then that was giving me the issue of not showing anything but the desktop. So I plugged the hdmi-3 back in and switched to that and then I was able to see the desktop and icons and stuff once more but it was all zoomed a bit. So this time I go into the menu and VOILA, I'm able to select "just scan" option which wasn't available before. Weird. I have a feeling it has something to do with having 2 displays running via catalyst.

Anyways I'm up an running now but once again the text via hdmi is not smooth like the vga connection. Any ideas on that?
post #113 of 257 Old 10-07-2009, 06:25 PM

I have the LG 60PS60 and use an HP S3430f HTPC with it. When I first connected via HDMI, the desktop was overscanning. To fix it I changed the scaling control from the video card to the TV - everything has been fine since. Perhaps this will work for you as well. Worth a shot.
post #114 of 257 Old 10-12-2009, 10:52 AM

Has anyone with a calibration DVD done the color management
post #115 of 257 Old 11-20-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 View Post

Why not download the AVS HD 709 disc or buy the DVE or AVIA discs and do it for yourself? I use the ISF Expert 1 mode, since I did a full grayscale calibration and needed to set the Grayscale RGB levels, but if you don't have a meter, you may want to use Movie mode instead. You can easily set most controls using the patterns HD709 disc. You'd need a color filter to look through to set color and tint. That being said, here's what I ended up at:

Code:
Mode - ISF Expert 1
Contrast        80                      
Brightness      54                      
H Sharpness     50                      
V Sharpness     50                      
Color           43                      
Tint            0

Expert Mode Controls            
Dynamic Contrast        Off
Noise Reduction         Off                     
Gamma                   Medium
Black Level             Low                     
Film Mode               On                      
Color Standard          HD                      
Color Gamut             Wide            
Edge Enhancer           Off             

White Balance
Color Balance   Warm
Method          20 Point IRE
Pattern         Outer
IRE     5       10      15      20      25      30      35      40      45      50      55      60      65      70      75      80      85      90      95      100
Red     -9      -15     -12     -14     -20     -10     0       0       8       9       10      10      10      12      20      20      15      10      7       7
Green   -22     -21     -28     -14     -30     -35     -45     -47     -30     -25     -30     -20     -10     -10     0       10      0       0       0       0
Blue    -11     -6      7       14      -7      -12     -5      -5      20      23      30      35      35      30      30      40      35      30      38      3
Apply to All Inputs     Yes

Color Management System                 
Red Color       0                       
Red Tint        0                       
Green Color     0
Green Tint      0                       
Blue Color      0                       
Blue Tint       0                       
Yellow Color    0                       
Yellow Tint     0                       
Cyan Color      0                       
Cyan Tint       0                       
Magenta Color   0
Magenta Tint    0

Just got my own 60PS11 and out of the box it does seem a bit dull. However, I'm switching to this TV from a Samsung LCD. The colors just don't seem to pop as I have hoped for. I went in to ISF mode 1 and set up it up the same as you have mentioned here. Still feels more or less the same.

This is probably a silly question but that's what some of us are here for I suppose. I see on the IRE it has multiple columns. What exactly is this? How do I edit it to mirror your own set up?

EDIT: I figured it out. Each column has its own corresponding color set. Thanks .

Also, still seems a bit bland to me over all. Could this be me being accustom to LCD?
post #116 of 257 Old 11-26-2009, 11:22 AM

I don't mean to thread dump, but Fry's has this set for $1294 in the SF bay black friday ad (also available at frys.com at the same price). Just thought I'd mention it for anyone interested. Cheers!
post #117 of 257 Old 11-26-2009, 12:38 PM
dcd

Neweggs also has it around the same price as Fry's.
post #118 of 257 Old 11-27-2009, 12:28 AM

What would you guys prefer between this, the 55" Vizio LCD, and the 50" Pana Viera? Price differences not being a factor here.
post #119 of 257 Old 11-27-2009, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If you have the space for a 60" unit, why even consider a fifty?
post #120 of 257 Old 11-27-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcd View Post

Neweggs also has it around the same price as Fry's.

Newegg's crazy wacko black Friday price is $1399.
Same price as paid by posters here back in July. No freebie Blu-ray. Either.

Think I'll wait this one out.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page