AVS Forum banner

Panasonic 12UK ??

45K views 263 replies 52 participants last post by  vic_0002 
#1 ·
So I go onto Visual Apex today and notice a 42-inch and 50-inch 768p 12UK model listed:

http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/pla...er=TH-50PD12UK

Product Sheet:
http://www.visualapex.com/ProductSup...H-50PD12UK.pdf

Any info about these new models? They claim 30,000:1 contrast spec (up from 15,000:1 on 11UK) so which panel are they using?

A google search turned up this press release verbage:

Quote:
Panasonic Professional Display Company is pleased to announce the June 2009 introduction of the new PD series of Plasma displays. These new 12-Series displays deliver the high performance expected from our Professional Displays while being able to provide a more cost effective solution when extensive connectivity options are not needed. The 42-inch TH-42PD12UK and 50-inch TH-50PD12UK include fixed terminals to support component, composite, S-video, or PC (D-sub 15) inputs.

For even deeper, richer blacks, our new 12-Series PD plasmas achieve a contrast ratio of an incredible 30,000:1. Also new for these 720p displays is improved video processing that provides crisp, clear motion images with the equivalent of an industry leading 5,120 shades of gradation. The TH-42PD12UK and TH-50PD12UK both include a remote controller (model # N2QAYB000432). When it comes to durability, our panels can be counted on and our TH-42PD12UK and TH-50PD12UK are no exceptions – they both have an incredibly long estimated service life of 100,000 hours and are backed by a full 2-year on-site parts and labor limited warranty.

Interestingly, the 12UK models do NOT come with HDMI inputs! It looks like the old setup with BNC + S-video + Composite Video + VGA. Is Panasonic moving away from marketing these to the consumer market?

#105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/17663973

You mention you prefer the "look" of the pro models.

Could you briefly describe this and any other reasons why a pro is a better product?

What I prefer about the pro models is the very thin bezel that is a matte black that does not cause any reflections. The V10 and S1 models have a much wider bezel that is a gloss black finish that will reflect any light source (sunshine or lights in the room). I also have no need for speakers in a TV so that is also why I prefer a monitor type PDP.

As far as PQ performance I really can not comment on how the TH-58PF12UK would compare with the 58V10. I have never seen the 58PF and have only seen the 58V10 at Best Buy. The 58PF has the same NeoPDP glass as the 58V10 but from that point I'm not sure how they would compare as far a picture quality and settings. From what I have read the pro PDPs in the past have had more picture adjustments than the consumer versions but again I'm not sure if that is still valid.

I will wait till after the first of the year to see what the thoughts are on the 58PF. I'm in no hurry as I am very happy with my TH-50PH9UK for now

Bill

#106 ·
Nice install phantom.

I have the same remote. The Pronto is great but you do spend significant time programming. Definitely not for the average consumer

I am still using my trusty 657UY. Its a very nice display, but cannot compete with the latest displays.

It is hard not to consider the consumer panels based on price. With access the EPP site, the price increase from the 65V10 to the 65PF is significant. Still, I would probably consider it.

At this point, unless my display dies, I am going to wait out another generation. The 85 is just too enormous, power hungry, and pricey to consider.

A 75 inch would be perfect.

I hope the next generation Panasonic loose the silly silver strip. I guess the latest Euro trend is two tone. Good god, can be just get a plain black bezel?

(You would not believe the trouble, I had to go through to get a Black ASKO dishwasher)

I have learned that a 65 inch sceen or larger is a commitment. It is just too big for most people. It will not be easy to find a home for it.

It looks like one more year before I upgrade my display.

- Rich

#107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/17678803

What I prefer about the pro models is the very thin bezel that is a matte black that does not cause any reflections. The V10 and S1 models have a much wider bezel that is a gloss black finish that will reflect any light source (sunshine or lights in the room). I also have no need for speakers in a TV so that is also why I prefer a monitor type PDP.

As far as PQ performance I really can not comment on how the TH-58PF12UK would compare with the 58V10. I have never seen the 58PF and have only seen the 58V10 at Best Buy. The 58PF has the same NeoPDP glass as the 58V10 but from that point I'm not sure how they would compare as far a picture quality and settings. From what I have read the pro PDPs in the past have had more picture adjustments than the consumer versions but again I'm not sure if that is still valid.

I will wait till after the first of the year to see what the thoughts are on the 58PF. I'm in no hurry as I am very happy with my TH-50PH9UK for now

Bill

Hmmmm, very interesting.

The thin bezel is a big plus.

Like you, I don't need speakers....so that works for me.

I sure would like to see the 2 side-by-side (or even ONE of them).

Where I live I don't have a dealer that stocks either.

There is a Best Buy, but it is a small store.

Unfortunately, to actually see one of these Pannys I would have to drive 3+ hours over the mountains on icy roads.

Not something I am gung-ho to do.....

Last year I picked up my first plasma; a 46" 850ou and am just dazzled by the damn thing.

What beautiful video it has.

Consequently, I am lusting after a larger screen.

#109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy11 /forum/post/17680871

715W power consumption for the 58 looks very high to me. In comparison, the pioneer 60" 600M is rated at 486W.

That is a max number.

I have never gotten my 657uy averages in the 300's during normal viewing.

It is probably a good thing since it may mean less ABL and the ability to get very bright.

- Rich

#111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by --phantom-- /forum/post/17678194

Here's the new toy with my Paradigm S8's. (Sorry for reasonably crappy photos)

Cool! How did you mount that thing...It seems embedded in the wall?!

Does it require reinforced stud or would anchors in drywall work?

I too much prefer a simple matte bezel, I'm watching both the TC-P58V10 and the TH-58PF12UK until I know which one does FullHD 1:1 mapping perfectly.

#115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch437 /forum/post/17637471

last time i checked, all plasmas (and, i believe, their ancestor, the CRT) will exhibit more light output per pixel when the number of pixels having a high luminance value in the signal is low relative to the total number of pixels in the display. if all the pixels in the display are intended to have a high luminance value, the light output per pixel must drop. the aggregate power demand of all those bright pixels would exceed some limit. so power is reduced. this is what the LCD fanbois refer to as dirty whites.

[i did a crude test of ABL-dimming on a 11UK once. i got out a light meter and some calibration software and measured the light output. i compared a white "window" (let's say 50% of the screen still black) with a white "field" (all pixels are white) and came up with a "ratio" of 1.4 to 1 . (admittedly, this is a hell of a lot better than the 3.5 to 1 you get in vivid mode, but still. if there were "no ABL" by my definition, the ratio would be 1:1 ]

so my wish-list rhetorical question is, if this 5-lumen tech is so great, can we use some of that extra efficiency to add a mode where there is no ABL-dimming at all?

thank you so much techniwizard for interesting news about the new pro models!

Under normal circustances, CRTs do not dim on a full white field like plasmas. If that happens, it's a sign that the caps need to be replaced.

The comment about ABL on the "monitor" picture preset mode on commercial Panasonic PDPs seems plausible. So, I suppose the need for ABL can be measured in each iteration of Panasonic Pro/VX PDPs by setting them to "monitor" mode. I've tinkered around with the TH-50VX100 and found that the monitor mode would not serve much value, as the picture is too dim.
Perhaps Panasonic should rename the mode from "Monitor" to "Honest"!

#116 ·
So, I guess it comes down to whether or not anyone has any idea when the 50PF12UK will be available.

I have the money put away.....

#118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRinDenver /forum/post/17888574

So, I guess it comes down to whether or not anyone has any idea when the 50PF12UK will be available.

I have the money put away.....

The latest rumor is that the 42PF12 and 50PF12 will be "skipped" and the next versions of 1080p 42 and 50 inch will be the "20" series debuting sometime before NAB in April. Tentatively TH-42PF20U and TH-50PF20U.

They will have the NEO panel and at least the same features as the current larger PF12 models. That's all I know at the moment.

T Wiz

#120 ·
Thanks!

#121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techniwizard /forum/post/17888678

The latest rumor is that the 42PF12 and 50PF12 will be "skipped" and the next versions of 1080p 42 and 50 inch will be the "20" series debuting sometime before NAB in April. Tentatively TH-42PF20U and TH-50PF20U.

They will have the NEO panel and at least the same features as the current larger PF12 models. That's all I know at the moment.

T Wiz

I sent email to Visual Apex asking about the new pro models; they responded:

"We have not received any info on the new models yet. I will keep you updated if I hear anything."

So I guess we wait. Tho the V10 looks mighty good...

#125 ·
Latest from VA indicates no new pro models until August,

I am a going shopping for a V10, I think.

Here is the message:

Hi Mike,

It looks like Panasonic will not be making a TH-50PF12UK. They are keeping the 11 series until the new series comes out. We are not sure when the new series will be out, but they are usually released in August.

Victoria Parker

VisualApex

800-883-7495 ext 215
vparker@visualapex.com

#126 ·
Personally I would go with TW's info above as it's probably more reliable than the speculative email you got from VA. Just MHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRinDenver /forum/post/17940182

Latest from VA indicates no new pro models until August,

I am a going shopping for a V10, I think.

Here is the message:

Hi Mike,

It looks like Panasonic will not be making a TH-50PF12UK. They are keeping the 11 series until the new series comes out. We are not sure when the new series will be out, but they are usually released in August.

Victoria Parker

VisualApex

800-883-7495 ext 215
vparker@visualapex.com

#127 ·
VA is right in that "usually" Pro units debut in July-August and that will probably be true for the 42 and 50 PH20s. The 42 and 50PF20s are due to be on the floor at NAB, sales to begin then or soon after.

Not sure about the other series, hard to keep track:

PF = Pro 1080p FHD

PH = Pro 720p HD

PD = Pro 720 HD fixed inputs-signage

PRT = Hosptality Plasma, Hotel-Resort HD

LRT = Hospitality LCD, 32 and 37 inch models HD

VX = Custom Home Theater FHD (stunning w/BluRay or OTA HD IMHO)

TW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.