One of my HDMI ports stopped working??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-20-2009, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic TH-50PX60U with 2 hdmi inputs. one i have going to my ps3 the other for cable. i have been playing the ps3 all week. have not tried cable since Sunday (wife was away ). today i turn on the cable and nothing. tried rebooting the box. no luck. plugged the cable into the hdmi 2 slot and it worked. plugged the ps3 into hdmi 1 and still nothing. so now i am thinking the port blew out. is there anything else i can try? can the ports be repaired or replaced? any info would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-20-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I had a DVI input stop working. They had to replace a board in back of the display.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-20-2009, 12:37 PM

Liked: 12
Probably needs to be replaced. If you find that too expensive consider an HDMI switch. Works great with a Harmony remote so that you don't have another remote to use.
At least you have one HDMI input left
post #4 of 7 Old 06-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

I was just about to post about the same prob with the same TV, but mine's worse. I've been down to 1 port for about 3 months, then finally ordered a switcher. Once I installed it, the second port stopped working so now NEITHER hdmi port works. I tried calling Panny but the wait times were so long I did not get through to anyone.

I have a feeling it's not worth repairing and I might just have to buy a new set. Ugh.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-20-2009, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craige17 View Post

I was just about to post about the same prob with the same TV, but mine's worse. I've been down to 1 port for about 3 months, then finally ordered a switcher. Once I installed it, the second port stopped working so now NEITHER hdmi port works. I tried calling Panny but the wait times were so long I did not get through to anyone.

I have a feeling it's not worth repairing and I might just have to buy a new set. Ugh.

its that much for the card? i mean the TV is only 2 1/2 years old. to drop that much doe on it and throw it out after 2 years sounds a bit crazy.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-03-2010, 07:05 AM

I'm not so sure your ports have gone bad. We have had numerous compatibility problems with Panasonic's 50PX60U HDMI ports. It is clear that the two ports operate differently, usually with HDMI 2 offering some kind of display output. HDMI 1 doesn't seem to work with any devices that are up to the current HDMI standard (PS3, HTPC w/HDMI video out, Comcast DVR, etc.).

I remember reading the that Panasonic implementation of the HDMI standard w/AV Control was causing problems with various non-Panasonic HDMI equipment. I beleive HDMI 1 reports itself as a 'HDMI repeater', so most of the HDMI sourcing devices refuse to output video due to HDCP.

Comcast's Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR box will actually tell you the TV (TH-50PX60U) "does not comply with HDCP requirements, so you must switch to Component Video outputs." Our Comcast DVR worked fine for the first 6 months, until Comcast (SA?) pushed out a firmware upgrade (~2008), then the HDMI HDCP problem stopped output via the HDMI port.

I suspect the PS3 will not work with HDMI 1, it may work straight into HDMI 2, but we get very mixed (flaky) results with HDMI 2 input.

I would like to understand if Panasonic has solved their HDMI issues on the latest models.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-20-2010, 07:03 AM

Same thing here... started with comcast box input not only stopped working, but not that input will not work with anything else.... I put comcast input into hdmi2 and 2 months later that port is now dead,,, if anyone hears of a fix or an attorney looking for a class action group against comcast.panasonic e-mail me

Thanx
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page