Panasonic G15 Plasma w/SD Card (Video Format?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got this bad boy last week. I was wondering if anyone knew a compatible video format that will play off of the SD card? I've tried multiple formats of videos from divx, avi, m4v's etc. etc. Nothing works? What actually does work? The manuel doesn't reveal much and isn't specific.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Well if it's anything like my Panasonic, then it's Pictures ONLY, no video!!!
post #3 of 27 Old 07-08-2009, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

No, it has a video player...I've heard it does mpeg2 but I don't have a converter to that on my mac.
post #4 of 27 Old 07-08-2009, 02:45 PM

G15 Series

The G15 series is also 2” thick and features 1080p resolution with Neo PDP Infinite Black high efficiency plasma panel, 40,000:1 contrast ratio, 1080 lines motion resolution, DCC, VIERA Cast, THX certified, SD card slot for still photos and AVCHD motion playback and 3 HDMI inputs. Available in June in 42” 46” and 50” screen sizes with respective model numbers TC-P42G15, TC-P46G15 and TC-50G15.
post #5 of 27 Old 07-30-2009, 10:09 AM

Yea i did a web search and there are press releases that say divx is supported. i am trying to find out for sure. the customer service at Panasonic does not have a clue as to what i am talking about.

"Panasonic announced that they got their VIERA Z1, V10 and G15 series HDTVs DivX certified. The Panasonic VIERA Z1, V10 and G15 series feature 1080p full-HD flat panels and wireless connectivity to watch directly high-quality DivX video. With support for DivX video, consumers can easily playback their DivX content via the SD/SDHC memory card slot directly on the VIERA HDTV. Users can fit over six hours of high-quality DivX video on a 4GB media card. In addition, DivX content can be streamed directly from a network with a DLNA server, making it simple for consumers to playback their library of favorite videos from the PC to the TV."
post #6 of 27 Old 08-08-2009, 09:11 AM

Did you ever solve the V10 SD card movie format issue? I have the same Panasonic model and can't seem to find a compatible format either...

Thanks,
Bob
post #7 of 27 Old 11-08-2009, 08:51 AM

Has anyone gotten Divx movies to play off the SD card reader? I too have this tv and though it says it supports divx i see no way on how to play them on the tv...

Any thoughts?
post #8 of 27 Old 11-08-2009, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, this thread is back to life. I never found anything that works. The odd thing is the SD Card reader on my Panasonic BluRay BD80 plays divx just fine. What gives?
post #9 of 27 Old 11-08-2009, 03:37 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Punisher View Post

Has anyone gotten Divx movies to play off the SD card reader? I too have this tv and though it says it supports divx i see no way on how to play them on the tv...Any thoughts?

Where does it say that the TV supports DivX? It's possible that DivX is supported on the European models, but it's not in any of the American countries' models. Please clarify where you are, your TV's complete model number, and where it says it supports DivX.

Their USA press release from earlier this year has no mention of DivX at all, and only mentions AVCHD:

"As in 2008, all Panasonic VIERA HDTVs feature VIERA Image Viewer™ a function for easy viewing of digital still photos and in some models, the ability to play back AVCHD video recorded on SD card."

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...72009012646554

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #10 of 27 Old 11-09-2009, 03:42 AM

My US Manual reads (top of page 22);

"You can view movies and photos taken with a digital camera or digital video camera and saved on an SD card."

And further down the page, under Step 2 section;
"Recording format (MPEG2/AVCHD)"

So although I don't find anything in the User Manual about DIVX it does suggest that MPEG2 files *should* be supported. I've not been able to view ANY movie formats via the SD card. Can someone provide a movie file format snippet that is supported? I'd just like to prove it works and better understand what formats are valid...

Thanks.
post #11 of 27 Old 11-20-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rljames View Post

My US Manual reads (top of page 22);

"You can view movies and photos taken with a digital camera or digital video camera and saved on an SD card."

And further down the page, under Step 2 section;
"Recording format (MPEG2/AVCHD)"

So although I don't find anything in the User Manual about DIVX it does suggest that MPEG2 files *should* be supported. I've not been able to view ANY movie formats via the SD card. Can someone provide a movie file format snippet that is supported? I'd just like to prove it works and better understand what formats are valid...

Thanks.

It does work, just not as easily as we'd like. The TV is designed to take the SD card directly out of the Panny camera and plug it in. That works fine. The problem is, the camera creates the files in just the correct format/file structure/wrapper/audio/file extension/blah blah blah for the TV to understand it.

One cannot simply take a ripped MP4 or AVI file, convert it with some 3rd party converter and place it on the card and then have it work.

I've been googling for an hour and there are hard core guys out there that do it, but it's not for the faint of heart.

http://multiforum.deanbg.com/viewforum.php?f=10

And for the G10

http://multiforum.deanbg.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27
post #12 of 27 Old 11-20-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve0617 View Post

The problem is, the camera creates the files in just the correct format/file structure/wrapper/audio/file extension/blah blah blah for the TV to understand it.

I have found multiAVCHD tool to be very helpful in this regard. Its probably the only thing one will need to convert and watch generic videos on the Panasonic Viera TV's using the SD/SDHC card slot.

Please google "wiki AVCHD" to see the required directory structure.

AVCHD_actual_file_structure
post #13 of 27 Old 11-20-2009, 12:45 PM

BTW, I had to first format my Sandisk Extreme III SDHC cards using the Panasonic tool before I could use them in the SD/SDHC card slot on my Panasonic 50G15. Not sure its needed for all such cards. I had used my cards on various devices before, may be that's why I needed to reformat them.

Google "download sdfv2003.exe" to get to the link from the Panasonic website.

Download Link from Panasonic website
post #14 of 27 Old 11-21-2009, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
Quote:

It does work, just not as easily as we'd like. The TV is designed to take the SD card directly out of the Panny camera and plug it in. That works fine. The problem is, the camera creates the files in just the correct format/file structure/wrapper/audio/file extension/blah blah blah for the TV to understand it.

One cannot simply take a ripped MP4 or AVI file, convert it with some 3rd party converter and place it on the card and then have it work.

I've been googling for an hour and there are hard core guys out there that do it, but it's not for the faint of heart.

http://multiforum.deanbg.com/viewforum.php?f=10

And for the G10

http://multiforum.deanbg.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27

The G10/G15 cannot use an SD card from any camera, it has to be Panasonic camera??

God Bless,
-Clint
post #15 of 27 Old 11-21-2009, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieur View Post

BTW, I had to first format my Sandisk Extreme III SDHC cards using the Panasonic tool before I could use them in the SD/SDHC card slot on my Panasonic 50G15. Not sure its needed for all such cards. I had used my cards on various devices before, may be that's why I needed to reformat them.

Google "download sdfv2003.exe" to get to the link from the Panasonic website.

Download Link from Panasonic website

Will the card still work in the camera after formatting it like that?

God Bless,
-Clint
post #16 of 27 Old 11-21-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

The G10/G15 cannot use an SD card from any camera, it has to be Panasonic camera??

The idea behind it is that you already own an HD Panasonic video camera and you want to simply remove the card, place it in the TV and start watching.

I believe Sony uses the same file format/structure for their HD cameras so that would work too.

The card reader slot isn't designed to easily work with one's ripped DVD/BD/Bit Torrented movies.

Now, simply removing a card from a snapshot camera works fine for viewing still shots. My cheapy Nikon works fine.
post #17 of 27 Old 11-21-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now, simply removing a card from a snapshot camera works fine for viewing still shots. My cheapy Nikon works fine.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Will video clips from a still digicam also work? I have one that shoots in .avi and other in .mov (QuickTime). The manual doesn't say anything about .avi, all I can see is MPEG, (which is not a very common still camera format for clips).

God Bless,
-Clint
post #18 of 27 Old 11-22-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Will the card still work in the camera after formatting it like that?

Yes, it will work. I do not know what special operations did the utility perform. The card was blank and formatted in FAT32, no directory structure in it or anything. I was able to play the videos in the root/PRIVATE/AVCHD/... folder structure that was generated by multiAVCHD. After I popped the card in my Canon DSLR, the camera just created the DCIM and MISC folders in the root and captured pictures with no problems what-so-ever.

Edit: After I captured a few pics using the DSLR, the card worked fine in the TV too. I was able to play the videos by selecting "Movie Player" on the TV, and see the pictures that I just captured using the "Photo Viewer" on the TV.
post #19 of 27 Old 11-22-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Will video clips from a still digicam also work? I have one that shoots in .avi and other in .mov (QuickTime).

No, it will not work. The Panny expects the files in the .mts (8.3 version of .m2ts) format. It also expects the matching clip info and playlist files. These are the AVCHD standards I believe. Look at the links that I have posted previously.

Also note that the video needs to be in NTSC format (frame rate) and either in 480/720/1080 resolution. To play .avi files, most of them will need to be transcoded first, the multiAVCHD utility has that option too. I was able to transcode a couple of my avi (divx) files so that I can play them directly on the Panny TV. But its a time consuming process. After the 2 attempts, I just bought the WD TV Live and its working out wonderfully for me.
post #20 of 27 Old 11-22-2009, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No, it will not work. The Panny expects the files in the .mts (8.3 version of .m2ts) format. It also expects the matching clip info and playlist files. These are the AVCHD standards I believe. Look at the links that I have posted previously.

Also note that the video needs to be in NTSC format (frame rate) and either in 480/720/1080 resolution. To play .avi files, most of them will need to be transcoded first, the multiAVCHD utility has that option too. I was able to transcode a couple of my avi (divx) files so that I can play them directly on the Panny TV. But its a time consuming process. After the 2 attempts, I just bought the WD TV Live and its working out wonderfully for me.

EXPLAIN WHAT YOU DID? I'm curious.
post #21 of 27 Old 11-22-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Yup i ended up buying the Asus Oplay and just play the divx from my usb key..
post #22 of 27 Old 11-23-2009, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, it will work. I do not know what special operations did the utility perform. The card was blank and formatted in FAT32, no directory structure in it or anything. I was able to play the videos in the root/PRIVATE/AVCHD/... folder structure that was generated by multiAVCHD. After I popped the card in my Canon DSLR, the camera just created the DCIM and MISC folders in the root and captured pictures with no problems what-so-ever.

Edit: After I captured a few pics using the DSLR, the card worked fine in the TV too. I was able to play the videos by selecting "Movie Player" on the TV, and see the pictures that I just captured using the "Photo Viewer" on the TV.

Ok thanks for the info.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #23 of 27 Old 11-23-2009, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But it should work for MPEG files, since the manual says it can play those, right?

Quote:

I have a flash card viewer hooked up and that should work.
Is your WD TV Live the "mini"?

God Bless,
-Clint
post #24 of 27 Old 11-23-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:

But it should work for MPEG files, since the manual says it can play those, right?

Yes, it does play MPEG files when they are available in the right directory, i.e. when the SD/SDHC card file and directory structure are AVCHD compliant. I had a couple of music videos of Katy Perry in mpeg format. When I directly copied them over to the SDHC card, the TV did not see them and could not play them. Then I ended up using multiAVCHD utility to realize that they are needed in the AVCHD format. A quick run of the utility and I was able to play them on the TV. The mpeg videos that I had were in 480 resolution hence no re-encoding or transcoding was needed.

Here's another image that gives an overview of the audio and video formats for an AVCHD disc or card.

Quote:

Is your WD TV Live the "mini"?

WD TV Mini is a different player altogether, it does not support full HD and does not have network or HDMI. I went with the "WD TV Live", have a look at the link below for more information on the product line.
WD TV Product line

Note that the WD TV Live has a newer processor with better playback capabilities. There are many other devices like the WD TV from manufacturer's like Asus, Seagate, CinemaNow, Popcorn hour, etc etc
post #25 of 27 Old 11-23-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok thanks again for all the info.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26 of 27 Old 08-14-2011, 05:48 PM

Hi,

What kind of files does the USB play in Panasonic Vierra G25? The manual says MPEG2 but those does not work.

Can anyone plesae help me how to convert youtube downloaded videos which are in MP4 format to copy in USB and I can play on my Vierra.

Thanks
post #27 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 05:24 PM

I took the SDHC 4 GB card from my Sony Cybershot camera and plugged it into the back of my Panasonic Viera Plasma TV hoping to view pictures and some movie clips. I used the remote to select SD card and then the media player allowed me to choose photos, video or music. Only the photos would display, but not the video.

I found out that the Panasonic TV appears to only support MP4, MKV, MPEG-2 and AVCHD files. Apparently the Sony Cybershot produces video in the AVI format hence the reason why it won't display the videos. Likely I could convert the AVI to MPEG or MP4 and see if storing it back onto my SDHC card would display the converted video files with the Panasonic's TV media player.

Not sure if anyone else has tried this, but seems a lot of extra work. Very disappointed that the Panasonic wouldn't have codecs for BOTH .avi and .mp4/mpeg video file formats.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page