Panasonic Viera Ethernet and Airport Express Configuration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-08-2009, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have new Panasonic Viera G1046 HDTV and 60D Blu-Ray player. Each has an ethernet LAN port for connecting to a home network for software updates, internet content and BD-Live DVD extra features. I have an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (old, "snow" version) and two Airport Express units in my home to allow wireless internet connections for Macs in other parts of house. Those were configured as part of my wireless network using the "Airport Utility for Graphite and Snow" and work properly for internet connections as well as for airtunes for broadcasting to those units from my main Mac.

I want to use the ethernet port on the Airport Express behind my new TV and Blu-Ray player to access to web, but have not been able to get it to work. I used the Panasonic network settings on the TV, set to "automatic" but the connection tests failed. I also trying adding the IP addresses and subnet mask for that unit, but also without luck.

I hard-wired an ethernet cable from each of the LAN ports on the TV and player to my Netgear switch and was able to get an internet connection and update the software and firmware on the TV and player.

I'm wondering if you know of any settings in particular for my whole network and/or for the Airport Expresses in particular that would allow me to access the web directly for at least one of the Airport Express units connected to my new TV and Blu-Ray player. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-08-2009, 12:56 PM

Liked: 14
I'm not sure the Snow will support using a WDS network. Anyway, even if you went the WDS route, you will reportedly take a significant performance hit as throughput between the router and each Express will be cut. I upgraded my router to an Airport Extreme N (Gigabit ethernet) and used one of the new Airport Express units (802.11n) types. Only these new Express units support non-WDS (less performance issues) joining to the network. They are also really easy to set up compared to the WDS network. In my network the router is connected to the modem and transmits wirelessly to the Express upstairs which sits behind my bedroom A/V system. I expand the one ethernet port on the Express to an 8 port D-Link switch that goes ethernet to my Tivo, Panny G10 and Oppo Blu-ray. Tivo to Tivo transfers work well and Vieracast is fine. I also have an older Express (non 802.11n) that I use for airtunes in the garage.

This is a helpful site: http://www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/Evolution/index.html

I do have a spare Airport Extreme N (Gigabit ethernet) around if you're interested. Just pm me.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Between my Xbox 360, HD DVD player, Blu-Ray player, and HD Homerun all needing a Ethernet connection over at my HDTV, I went and got a DLINK 5 port Switch. I made my own Ethernet cables as I needed short ones, less cable clutter also it's a green switch so lower power needed for shorter cables when in use and when not in use, no power at all. So the 4 devices are plugged into the switch and the last port is run to one of my Router ports. It's basically like plugging the hardware directly into my Dlink Router. Nothing to configure with the switch, it's basically Plug and Go.

I'm not a fan of wireless connections. Sure for some things like a Laptop that you may use from one place to the next a wired connection would be a hassle, but on hardware that sits in one place. Wired is just so much more Reliable, More secure, Faster. It just works. Once I had it all setup and working I haven't had to do a single thing since. It's been 100% Reliable. I know sometimes wired is virtually Impossible to do for some people, then again, with a little effort, maybe a lot of effort, once it's done and wired, you'd wonder why you hadn't done it already. There's almost aways a way. Lots of different tricks that's possible.
There's also Powerline Adapters, and Cable adapters to get a wired connection also, not as good, but still generally better then wireless. My DLINK DGL-4300 router is wireless, but currently the only device I use wireless sometimes is my PocketPC, and soon a iphone. Time to Upgrade my phone.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-09-2009, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

JBDragon; I'm not a fan of wireless connections....

I'd prefer to have this hardwired for maximum throughput, but unfortunately my TV is too far from the office and in an odd corner that's not over any basement area but on solid concrete and stone ledge (trust me, I tried this a couple years ago), so short of drilling through two walls and running the ethernet outdoors, I'm stuck with wireless for this location. But, thanbks for the suggestions.
Paul
post #5 of 8 Old 07-09-2009, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Pine2: Thanks for the response. I'm going to try to get this to work for software/firmware updates, some VieraCast stuff and maybe BD-Live for the short term (have no plans to stream movies, so I can live with slower throughput for the short term, at least). Turns out it's not a "snow" base station, but rather the Airport Extreme Base Station which has 2 ethernet ports and supports WDS, although I can only configure it with "Airport Utility for Graphite and Snow" utility 4.5.2 (the Leopard software doesn't work with these units at all). If I can't get it to work, when I can afford to (money's tight and I justy spent the bucks on the TV, player and HDMI), I was thinking about upgrading the whole network to 802.11n anyway. Will let you know about that. Thanks again.
Paul
post #6 of 8 Old 07-09-2009, 08:16 AM

Liked: 14
The WDS should work for your purpose. I tried it with the older Express units initially and it was fine for Tivo software upgrades, but Vieracast was a bit too stuttering to be usable (not that I use it all that much anyway) -- I mainly wanted a faster connection due to Tivo to Tivo transfers, Netflix, etc. Good luck!
post #7 of 8 Old 07-11-2009, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine2 View Post

The WDS should work for your purpose. I tried it with the older Express units initially and it was fine for Tivo software upgrades, but Vieracast was a bit too stuttering to be usable (not that I use it all that much anyway) -- I mainly wanted a faster connection due to Tivo to Tivo transfers, Netflix, etc. Good luck!

Hi Pine 2: I finally had a minute to connect the iMac via Ethernet to the Ethernet port on the Airport Express which revealed the problem: while the AX is broadcasting the Internet for wireless use from the main base station, it's NOT allowing hard-wiring of Ethernet through the Ethernet port. To be certain, I turned Airport on and off again on the iMac and tried 2 different Ethernet cables to be sure. With Airport on on the iMac, I get Internet, with Airport off on the iMac, AND with an Ethernet cable connected from AX to iMac, I get a message: "Cable Unplugged: The cable for Ethernet is not plugged in, and hence, no Internet.
So I'm guessing I need to change something in the way the AX or the base station is configured for WDS. Any thoughts?
post #8 of 8 Old 07-11-2009, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine2 View Post

Well, I feel stupid. Just launched the current version of the Airport Utility which found my base station and 2 AXs immediately. I selected the one closest to the TV, clicked the Ethernet tab and saw that Ethernet was set to "DISABLED". DUH!

When I first switched to Leopard, I struggled for hours to get the newer Airport Utility to work with these older units and gave up. I don't know what's different now, but switching the Ethernet setting to "AUTOMATIC" and resetting the AX allowed it to work. Just checked and VieraCast is working perfectly.

I really appreciate your help on this. Thanks for taking the time!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays