The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Pt. II - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #361 of 6991 Old 07-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Yep, the ISFccc Memories are set and locked

Thanks turbe. Have you investigated the Integrator Menu, and what it does?

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6991 Old 07-22-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 84
yes, you can set initial values, mirror mode, b&w (mono) fan control etc...

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #363 of 6991 Old 07-22-2009, 12:49 PM

Liked: 10
Hi,

I am a big fan of Wii, and my KRP500m of course. I recently bought vsx919 receiver (havent received it yet). I am wondering since vsx919 has no video 1080p upscaling, I believe the video quality will be 480p from my Wii. My KRP should upscale that correct to 1080p, right?

If yes, then will there be a difference in video quality, had I gone with vsx1019 receiver (has 1080p upscaling) with my KRP?
post #364 of 6991 Old 07-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2go View Post

Hi,

I am a big fan of Wii, and my KRP500m of course. I recently bought vsx919 receiver (havent received it yet). I am wondering since vsx919 has no video 1080p upscaling, I believe the video quality will be 480p from my Wii. My KRP should upscale that correct to 1080p, right?

If yes, then will there be a difference in video quality, had I gone with vsx1019 receiver (has 1080p upscaling) with my KRP?

The KRP will rescale any resolution you throw at it into 1080p. Whether or not its better at scaling than the chip in teh 1018, I dont know. I havent seen any hard comparisons between kuro scaling and other products.
post #365 of 6991 Old 07-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

yes, you can set initial values, mirror mode, b&w (mono) fan control etc...

So if I use the RGB(cuts/gains settings in the Integrator Menu, they will be static and not lost?

By the way, I turned the fans on. Not funny...
post #366 of 6991 Old 07-22-2009, 02:22 PM

hi i asked this before but got no response, dose anyone have calibration settings for component cables
post #367 of 6991 Old 07-22-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by surap View Post

So if I use the RGB(cuts/gains settings in the Integrator Menu, they will be static and not lost?

By the way, I turn the fans on. Not funny...

The integrator menu has only 1 memory per input for all signal types.

At some point I poked around in the Integrator Menu and after exiting, all my User menu display settings went back to the defaults. The manual states that "When display INTEGRATOR MENU, Picture settings of HOME MENU go back to default settings." I guess I should have read that first.
post #368 of 6991 Old 07-22-2009, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post

My 600M is wall mounted at ~42" to the bottom edge of the display. It's higher than average but it's perfect for me.

Out of reach of little ones and screw drivers in back pockets.
post #369 of 6991 Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumacdo View Post

Hi all,

I've successfully broken in my 500m and am on the verge of mounting it on the wall. Quick question - are there any hard and fast rules as to the "ideal" height for mounting these (it's my first wall-mounted set). In other words, if your primary seating position is x feet from the wall, the set should be centered at y feet ? I'm sure it's really just personal preference, but I'm curious at to people's feedback. Thanks in advance.

This is a great reference:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/Verticalviewing.html

Take some measurements, sprinkle in some algebra and you're good to go.
post #370 of 6991 Old 07-22-2009, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Yes or the 1/3 line (from the top) at your normal eye-line. This does mean that elevated panels should be watched from recumbent position. The motivation behind this is not preventing a stiff neck but minimizing blinking.

Actually, it's the 1st horizontal 1/3 line from the bottom as the general rule for HT applications.
post #371 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 12:34 AM

Hi,

I got my vsx919 today, and hooked it up to my KRP. I was most interested in how the SD programming looks on my TV (480i). I had 3 connections from my Direct TV SD receiver to my TV.

1. Direct TV was connected to my vsx919 via RCA cable, and HDMI connection between vsx919 to my KRP. Once I did that, I saw on my KRP, that the video quality was 480p, and 24bit color. Blacks on my KRP were pure blacks, and substatially darker that the black from other 2 setups. I dont know if it supposed to be that way or not. Picture was sharper too.

2. Direct TV was connected to my KRP via RCA cable. Blacks were not as black, and KRP showed picture quality to by 480i. Picture not as sharp as previous setup. Is this because I was using RCA cable? If I had HDMI 1.3 connection, would it be better? My DirectTV receiver does not have any HDMI so I have no way to check this.

3. Direct TV connected to my old JVC receiver via s-video. JVC in turn was connected to my KRP using component video. Blacks were the least black. Picture quality almost as in case 2.

So looks like vsx919 is doing a better job upscaling that my KRP? Or is this HDMI issue? Should I buy the vsx1019, and will it make my pictures better since it upscales all the way to 1080p??

Let me know.

Thanks
post #372 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

i would contact directv and get a hd dvr stb with the hd channel package, the hd dvr stb will have hdmi. should look great with hd channels.

with the sd channels on directv the pq will vary alot. some sd channels look pretty darn good for sd and some look crappy.

the receiver or the KRP is not gonna turn the sd sources into true 1080p HD. upscaling at best is just faux hd and some will look decent and some still looking crappy. just try and get as much hd sources into the KRP as you can and limit the sd.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #373 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2go View Post

Hi,

I got my vsx919 today, and hooked it up to my KRP. I was most interested in how the SD programming looks on my TV (480i). I had 3 connections from my Direct TV SD receiver to my TV.

1. Direct TV was connected to my vsx919 via RCA cable, and HDMI connection between vsx919 to my KRP. Once I did that, I saw on my KRP, that the video quality was 480p, and 24bit color. Blacks on my KRP were pure blacks, and substatially darker that the black from other 2 setups. I dont know if it supposed to be that way or not. Picture was sharper too.

2. Direct TV was connected to my KRP via RCA cable. Blacks were not as black, and KRP showed picture quality to by 480i. Picture not as sharp as previous setup. Is this because I was using RCA cable? If I had HDMI 1.3 connection, would it be better? My DirectTV receiver does not have any HDMI so I have no way to check this.

3. Direct TV connected to my old JVC receiver via s-video. JVC in turn was connected to my KRP using component video. Blacks were the least black. Picture quality almost as in case 2.

So looks like vsx919 is doing a better job upscaling that my KRP? Or is this HDMI issue? Should I buy the vsx1019, and will it make my pictures better since it upscales all the way to 1080p??

Let me know.

Thanks

There are separate issues with what you describe. Black issues are most likely caused by settings in your DTV box

I have a VSX-01 receiver and when connecting a PS2 directly to the 500M via component for 480i games, it looks pretty bad, compared to connecting it through the 01 and let it deinterlace. When I deinterlace in the 01 to 480p, 720p or 1080p, it looks much better. About scaling itself, if the source is 480p I don't see much of a difference enough to care.
post #374 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know how much the Game setting on the 500M reduces input lag? The preset looks worse than the Standard mode so as long as there isn't much of a difference, I'd rather keep it in standard.
post #375 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150Joker View Post

Does anyone know how much the Game setting on the 500M reduces input lag? The preset looks worse than the Standard mode so as long as there isn't much of a difference, I'd rather keep it in standard.

I'm sure there is 'lag' but not what I would call discernable. Since I bought my 500M my K/D ratio has only gotten better with the only game I play(CODWAW). I use that as an example because if there were 'lag' then it would more then likely be a negative influence on my K/D ratio.

I see absolutley no response/lag improvement by using game mode or standard. I use adjusted Pure or when available ISFccc Day and love it because its PERFECT

Everything else < Kuro PLASMA
post #376 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HNNY H0PK1NS View Post

I'm sure there is 'lag' but not what I would call discernable. Since I bought my 500M my K/D ratio has only gotten better with the only game I play(CODWAW). I use that as an example because if there were 'lag' then it would more then likely be a negative influence on my K/D ratio.

I see absolutley no response/lag improvement by using game mode or standard. I use adjusted Pure or when available ISFccc Day and love it because its PERFECT

That's good to know, thanks! I'll be unlocking ISF on mine very soon as well. Just finished the 150 hr break in last night and when i connected the PC and fired up Crysis Warhead, I was amazed by the blacks! When the Crytek logo popped up, the rest of the screen went completely dark and faded into the bezel, this thing annihilates my old B750!
post #377 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranalli View Post

I've considered running the PS3 direct to the Kuro, DVR to the AVR to the splitter to the 2 tvs. This loses PS3 digitial audio (can replace with ps3 composite)

You'd lose HD-Audio formats by not running your HDMI to your Receiver, but you can still run digital Optical from your PS3 to your Receiver. So you'd bypass the HDMI to the Sony receiver and run directly to the KRP, and then you'd run optical to the Sony receiver. I've been doing this with my PS3 for years and it works just fine. No need for analog composite audio.

I have my PS3, 2 Directv HD-DVRs and a Popcorn Hour all hooked up to both a HDMI matrix switcher and a Component/Optical Audio matrix switcher. This allows me to switch any of my 4 sources to 5 different displays (2 for HDMI) throughout the house and use digital optical throughout. I don't have any problems with my Kuro and PS3. You can PM me for more details.
post #378 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 09:06 AM

i just wanted to say i have had my tv for about 8 days and this bad mutha fer is awesome, i cant believe the clarity. last night i played nba 2k9 and it looks like a new game. this is my 4th plasma two Samsung and a Panasonic v10 and i can say that this monitor blows them way out of the water
post #379 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtowntke View Post

i just wanted to say i have had my tv for about 8 days and this bad mutha fer is awesome, i cant believe the clarity. last night i played nba 2k9 and it looks like a new game. this is my 4th plasma two Samsung and a Panasonic v10 and i can say that this monitor blows them way out of the water

This guy knows whats up...

you said it

post #380 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HNNY H0PK1NS View Post

This guy knows whats up...

you said it

Wonder what he would say when and if the unit gets calibrated by pro
post #381 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

Wonder what he would say when and if the unit gets calibrated by pro

I've compared my ISF Day S&M calibrated(eye) 500M with a pro calibrated 111FD and I'm content with my M. To be honest I could not see a considerable enough difference to justify changing models or getting a pro cal.

post #382 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 01:04 PM

hey guys, I just sold my 2 plasmas(pio 5080 and samsung 50a450) and I want to get a 500m as a replacement...... problem is I'm in Canada and only the 600m is available up here. This wouldn't be a problem except in Canada TVs cost a ridiculous amount of money(the 600m is $6000). So I want to import a 500m from the states. What's the best place to buy this from? Also where is it manufactured?
post #383 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post

Actually, it's the 1st horizontal 1/3 line from the bottom as the general rule for HT applications.

Some time ago I tracked down the GeogeAB 12deg down reference and found a quote or an excerpt which I no longer have but the source appeared to be an SMPTE document. Albeit for a slightly different environment than the typical HT/home viewer. I expect he would know. Even worse my trig is probably utterly wrong. Of course I could have dreamed the whole thing too.

In any case the optimal solution is an inclinometer -- if you're so inclined.

Quote:
Seating locations relative to the screen must be carefully considered. SMPTE recommends ideal viewing angles for primary seating to be within +/-15 degrees of the centerline of the screen on the vertical or horizontal axis. Professional cinema screening rooms sometimes incorporate a vertical viewing angle that places the center of the screen 12 degrees below horizon for maximum viewing comfort.

post #384 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranalli View Post

how would you handle this setup most effectively? by the sounds of it I may need something like a 4x4 hdmi switch? or two 1x3 splitters?

If jdbimmer's suggested configuration doesn't work I believe you need a single 1x3 splitter but a 1x4 would be more cost effective. A 4x4 matrix switch would also work but in this case simpler is better.
post #385 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 03:54 PM

i would love to get my tv pro calibrated but seeing that i live in the upper peninsula of Michigan and there aren't any pros around that not going to happen. i have been thinking of buying some equipment and doing it myself. could some one tell me the best equipment to buy to do my own calibrations and where to buy it
post #386 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:

i would love to get my tv pro calibrated but seeing that i live in the upper peninsula of Michigan and there aren't any pros around that not going to happen. i have been thinking of buying some equipment and doing it myself. could some one tell me the best equipment to buy to do my own calibrations and where to buy it

THe calibrators I know use 50K equipment so not sure that woul work for you. If you lookup the user "turbe" on this forum he has a list of calibrators that do tours all over.
post #387 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 84
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

THe calibrators I know use 50K equipment so not sure that woul work for you. If you lookup the user "turbe" on this forum he has a list of calibrators that do tours all over.

YES, check this LIST

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #388 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i would love to get my tv pro calibrated but seeing that i live in the upper peninsula of Michigan and there aren't any pros around that not going to happen.

You should call around. See questions 11 and 12 in the Settings section of the FAQ
Quote:

i have been thinking of buying some equipment and doing it myself. could some one tell me the best equipment to buy to do my own calibrations and where to buy it

Marketing is frowned upon here but there's an entire sub-forum on display calibration and there's a entire calibration forum that should be quite helpful.
post #389 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

i jus wish calibrators would go on vacation here in Barbados
post #390 of 6991 Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyInTheChair View Post

hey guys, I just sold my 2 plasmas(pio 5080 and samsung 50a450) and I want to get a 500m as a replacement...... problem is I'm in Canada and only the 600m is available up here. This wouldn't be a problem except in Canada TVs cost a ridiculous amount of money(the 600m is $6000). So I want to import a 500m from the states. What's the best place to buy this from? Also where is it manufactured?

you should contact a couple of the avs forum sponsors like Roman O at buybestplasma.com and Chris at Cleveland plasma, see if they still have supply and can arrange shipping to Canada for you.

It says assembled in the USA on the box. The panel is made in Japan and it along with the other parts are shipped to California for assembly for the US.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page