The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Pt. II - Page 130 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

Old 12-11-2009, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by percman View Post

Received my 500M about a week ago. Absolutely blown away by picture quality. I have had high definition since 2003, when practically nothing was broadcast in hi def. That was with a 38" RCA traditional (curved screen no less, one of the largest ever built) tube television, 1080i. I also have a 32" 720P LCD.

It is interesting to compare all 3 technogies. Albeit dated, the RCA tube has a picture quality and black levels that, believe it or not, almost match the Kuro in my opinion. At the time that that TV came out, however, the plasmas and LCDs on the market (2003) were no where NEAR what they are now and couldn't touch the direct CRT. But of course the trade off is the fact that the tube has a very reflective curved glass screen and weighs upwards of 200 pounds.

The LCD has a decent, sharp picture quality but no where near the contrast or black levels of the Kuro or RCA.

The Kuro is unmatched when it comes to Blu Ray and Hi Def, although I will admit I never hooked up the Blu Ray to the RCA due to the lack of an HDMI input. Again, sharpness is about the same as the tube, but colors are much more vibrant. Plus, reducing 19 inches of TV cabinet does have its advantages!

Just curious is anyone else has made these types of comparisons...

Before I got my 500M last month, I owned a Sony 34" XBR960 for 5 years. Uncalibrated with just the DNice settings, the 500M comes close to the color accuracy and black levels that the good ole' Sony tube produced when it was calibrated. It did 1440X1080 interlaced and it had perfect geometry with near-perfect focus(adjusted, of course). I actually wish it was a curved screen, as the focus would have been better. I agree with Ozymandis as the CRT seemed to do motion better with gaming than the 500M. I notice some frame judder when panning in games with the 500M, but that could probably be something having to be turned on or off. However, phosphor trail was more apparent on the CRT than it is on the 500M. The extra detail and 16 inches of screen is a nice bonus on the 500M for sure! And the screen is brighter. The super fine pitch of the CRT, while great for detail, reduced some of it's brightness. I wish I could have kept it for gaming only, as it handled all types of resolutions and inputs with ease, but I just didn't have any more room for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

I guess you can run the slides off of USB thumb drive

They're aren't any usb ports on the KRP's that I know of.

Djoel
Old 12-11-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

After the initial period, just mix what you watch, and stay out of torch mode.

Thanks HT... one question: Is there an actual mode called 'torch' or is that a term used referring to leaving brightness on high or high contrast, etc? Or possibly Sports, which looks pretty bright to me?

And one question on breakin slides: Are the majority of slides White? When I play the disc it seems to be on white.. only twice did I see color.. red and once green. Just want to make sure I burned this dvd correctly.

next debate in my head is if I want to get the pioneer speakers that go with
Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by william moore View Post

hello, all! I'm a new owner of a kuro krp-600m which i bought in august from my friendly authorized dealerm, and after approximately 150 hours of (mostly) full widescreen viewing, i had it professionally calibrated by one of lion av's traveling calibrators. He calibrated my dvi input, which i'm using for sat/standard def dvd using an oppo switcher, and one of the hdmi imputs which i'm driving with my pioneer bdp-95fd blu player directly. He used the pure mode and dot-for-dot pic mode for both inputs and when he finished, it took me awhile to get used to the calibrated picture, since to my eye, it didn't look as "good" as and the colors weren't as brilliant as the optimum mode which i had been using prior to calibration.
So here's my question: Even though the optimum mode might not be accurate according to all the test equipment, is there anything wrong with using this mode for regular viewing? For one thing, standard def tv looks much better and sharper using this mode as does some hd sat programming. What i'm wondering is if anyone knows what the various picture settings are in optimum mode, since pioneer grays them out in the menu (it must be a well-guarded secret), and is there some video processing going on (beside the room sensor) in optimum which might make the picture "subjectively" look more colorful and crisper? Thanks and "i'll hang up and listen..."

your going to have to deal with deficiencies in cable/sat programming much more on a 60" screen. And if you prefer optimum mode over pro calibration you probably should have saved your money. I'm more of a pro calibrated picture enthusiast and there are those who prefer the other (non-accurate) modes. And thats fine, as long as you find the picture pleasing the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy View Post

Is there an actual mode called 'torch' or is that a term used referring to leaving brightness on high or high contrast, etc? Or possibly Sports, which looks pretty bright to me?

There isn't an actual Torch Mode as such, but Dynamic Mode and Sports Mode would be considered "torch modes," for example.

Quote:

And one question on breakin slides: Are the majority of slides White? When I play the disc it seems to be on white.. only twice did I see color.. red and once green. Just want to make sure I burned this dvd correctly.

If I recall correctly, a lot of the slides are light pastels without a lot of color.

Quote:

I frankly think that's a waste of money. You'd be better off with a cheap pair of small bookshelf speakers bought at a yard sale or something, and saving the money the Pioneer speakers would cost towards a home theater setup.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:

On the Evangelo break-in DVD, there are actually 20 separate "slides" (shades of grey, blue, red, & green). When playing the DVD, these are arranged in 30-second "chapters"; there are 90 chapters before the program repeats (so, it starts over every 45 minutes). If you'd like to see each individual slide, just keep hitting the "chapter skip" button on your DVD player. That makes it easy to see the progression between slides, rather than staring at your screen for 45 minutes. Although - there's something therapeutic about "ooh - shades of red; aahh - shades of blue ..." if you do veg out in front of your shiny new Pioneer!
Old 12-11-2009, 10:28 AM

is it bad to watch everything in sports mode? I like how nice and bright the picture is on sports mode.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

They're aren't any usb ports on the KRP's that I know of.

Djoel

I See so only possible with Elites I assume?
Old 12-11-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Thanks HT... one question: Is there an actual mode called 'torch' or is that a term used referring to leaving brightness on high or high contrast, etc? Or possibly Sports, which looks pretty bright to me?

Throughout the break-in period I noticed the color of slides changed. Seemed to get more vibrant/colorful and distinguishable as time went on. Anyone else observe this?
Old 12-11-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by endo022 View Post

is it bad to watch everything in sports mode? I like how nice and bright the picture is on sports mode.

It's your world, we just post in it

Quote:

Yup, as far as I understand it..I see no usb ports back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckwing89 View Post

Throughout the break-in period I noticed the color of slides changed. Seemed to get more vibrant/colorful and distinguishable as time went on. Anyone else observe this?

No never notice this myself.. But I can see the panel settling in giving it more punch as the hours pass by.

DJoel
Old 12-11-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by p59teitel View Post

There isn't an actual Torch Mode as such, but Dynamic Mode and Sports Mode would be considered "torch modes," for example.

I don't think Sports mode is THAT bad. It's bright but isn't nearly as appalling as Dynamic or Optimum.

Quote:
I frankly think that's a waste of money. You'd be better off with a cheap pair of small bookshelf speakers bought at a yard sale or something, and saving the money the Pioneer speakers would cost towards a home theater setup.

Definitely.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

I don't think Sports mode is THAT bad. It's bright but isn't nearly as appalling as Dynamic or Optimum.

I dunno. Find a game where one of the teams is wearing white jerseys near a midfield logo, and pause it - to me, there's not much difference between Sport and Dynamic.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

The televsions have USB and HMG. The monitors (Elite or KRP) don't have USB and have IP control in place of HMG.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

The televsions have USB and HMG. The monitors (Elite or KRP) don't have USB and have IP control in place of HMG.

"Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P. shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? Because if it leaks to the V.C. he could become a M.I.A. and then we'd all be put out on K.P!"

sorry, i couldn't help it.

that man is my exact double. that dog has a puffy tail!
Old 12-11-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swlee View Post

On the Evangelo break-in DVD, there are actually 20 separate "slides" (shades of grey, blue, red, & green). When playing the DVD, these are arranged in 30-second "chapters"; there are 90 chapters before the program repeats (so, it starts over every 45 minutes). If you'd like to see each individual slide, just keep hitting the "chapter skip" button on your DVD player. That makes it easy to see the progression between slides, rather than staring at your screen for 45 minutes. Although - there's something therapeutic about "ooh - shades of red; aahh - shades of blue ..." if you do veg out in front of your shiny new Pioneer!

lol.. that's sort of me.. vegging out in front of my new Kuro watching the color slates. I'll check the chapters when I get home tonight

Thanks p59.. will keep it off those modes.

Why do you think the Pioneers speakers are a waste? Just curious your thoughts. I do want HT setup eventually but I was thinking if I wall mount it and just want to watch TV without turning on other equipment, then having the speakers attached to monitor make sense. But they aren't cheap that's for sure
Old 12-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

lWhy do you think the Pioneers speakers are a waste?

Too much money. I have a Pioneer speaker bar on my 5080. While it does sound a bit better than the two dinky Sherwood bookshelf speakers hooked up to my 500M, I wouldn't say it's worth $300, which is half of what a respectable 5.1 speaker setup will run you. And the Pioneer speakers are no substitute for a decent home theater, by any stretch.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p59teitel View Post

Too much money. I have a Pioneer speaker bar on my 5080. While it does sound a bit better than the two dinky Sherwood bookshelf speakers hooked up to my 500M, I wouldn't say it's worth $300, which is half of what a respectable 5.1 speaker setup will run you. And the Pioneer speakers are no substitute for a decent home theater, by any stretch.

Since I already have a great audio system, that was a big selling feature for me on the 500M: the speakers were OPTIONAL.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthree View Post

Since I already have a great audio system, that was a big selling feature for me on the 500M: the speakers were OPTIONAL.

Same boat here as well.The 500m was just a plus.Never used the tv speakers from my previous display either.Always used thru my HT system,i run everything thru my receiver.been this way for years.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

lol.. that's sort of me.. vegging out in front of my new Kuro watching the color slates. I'll check the chapters when I get home tonight

Thanks p59.. will keep it off those modes.

Why do you think the Pioneers speakers are a waste? Just curious your thoughts. I do want HT setup eventually but I was thinking if I wall mount it and just want to watch TV without turning on other equipment, then having the speakers attached to monitor make sense. But they aren't cheap that's for sure

I'm planning to get some small wall mountable speakers that have good styling to place on the sides of the KURO. I think it will be better sound. Just hope I can keep the wires hidden. Probably can't go in wall due to studs but we'll see.

Has anyone tried one of those Sony Bravia Sound bar deal that come with a sub? I was surprised when I saw it had HDMI inputs on the back of it. I guess I need to do some research on it.

"Like a Ninja, only better!"
Old 12-11-2009, 05:28 PM

Liked: 30
I have a 500M with the PDK-TS23 stand. My center channel used to sit on top of my former DLP TV. The KRP is too thin for this of course, and I don't want to put holes in the walls to mount the speaker. My current speaker is too tall to sit on the PDK-TS23 "foot"; it blocks part of the screen.

Can anyone recommend a decent center channel speaker that rests on the foot without blocking the screen? I have checked the FAQ and searched the thread without success. I checked Amazon and the only speakers short enough were expensive multichannel "sound bars".

Is there a simpler solution I'm not thinking of?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post

Is there a simpler solution I'm not thinking of?

There are the stands for the Pioneers that use bottom mounted speakers (5020, 6020, etc), that'd give you a few more inches, but probably leave a gap on he side of your speakers depending how wide they are.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I want black borders when I view 4x3 DVDs. Is that possible on a european 500M?
Old 12-12-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post

Can anyone recommend a decent center channel speaker that rests on the foot without blocking the screen?

My center blocks the bezel but not the screen and I have a piece of black velvet on it to eliminate reflections. You have about 4" which is pretty restrictive.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Did any local stores carry these? magnolia, etc?

thx

bob
Old 12-12-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surap View Post

I want black borders when I view 4x3 DVDs. Is that possible on a european 500M?

Do you mean instead of gray borders?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:12 AM

I have a tivo hd which goes in straight into the krp-500m with an hdmi cable- I also have a ps3 for games/movies which goes in the other hdmi por.
On pure setting with dnices settings (after breakin),
The ps3 on movies (blu-ray) and games looks perfect- nice colors, very lifelike. The tivo hd looks a little washed out- good overall but not great.

If I use standard on the tivo instead of pure the colors pop more and seems better, but a little too bright? Do I need to seperately calibrate the tivo? How would I do that??
Old 12-12-2009, 11:25 AM

OK, I' stumped and worried. I have a new 500M from VE that was broken in, calibrated and ISF'd by D-Nice at VE and got here fine a month ago. Got a new Pioneer SC-25 and all sources initially went through the SC-25 via HDMI to Input 5 on the Kuro. Result: beautiful, perfect. All worked well. But I only was using Input 5 (HDMI 1) on the Kuro.

This week I added a new version Mac Mini. I hooked up the Mini using the mini-DVI to DVI adapter that came with the mini. I used an old DVI-DVI cable that I had used with my previous CRT HDTV. Result: no picture at all. Well, I figured maybe the DVI cable was DVI-A or DVI-I vs DVI-D, so I ordered a new DVI-D to DVI-D cable.

In the meantime, I had a DVI-D to HDMI cable from my DoubleSight 263N that wasn't being used. I connected this to the Mac mini-DVI adapter and ran it through the SC-25 via HDMI and the Mini's picture on Input 5 on the Kuro was fantastic. The Mini saw the Kuro as SC-25 and gave me all the resolutions I needed. However, obviously since the Mini was connected via HDMI, there was no way to get the SC-25 to output the Mini sound via Toslink. But the picture was great.

So next I tried to connect the Mini to Input 6 (HDMI 2) on the Kuro, but the Kuro would not show or even switch to Input 6 no matter what I would do. Since I knew the HDMI-out from the SC-25 was working correctly in the Kuro Input 5, I tried to connect the SC-25 to Input 6 on the Kuro, but again the Kuro would never allow me to even switch inputs to Input 6.

So Question #1: Is there a setting I'm missing or is the Kuro input selector broken? BTW, I have Input Priority to off. ( I tried both ways with no different results.)

Today I got the new DVI-D to DVI-D cable and tried the Mini to Kuro via Input 4 (DVI). I could not get a picture from the Mini at all. The Kuro seems to let me switch to Input 4 but no picture at all. When I check the Mini via screen sharing, I can see the Mini sees the Kuro display and calls it Pioneer-M.

So question #2: Is the DVI input on the Kuro broken also, or am I again missing a setting somewhere on the Kuro?

Lastly, since I don't want to switch out the Kuro now that it's been set-up/calibrated/ISF'd, I guess I could try a DVI-D/Toslink to HDMI adapter that I've seen from both Kanex and Monoprice. Then I could run this through the SC-25 and get both digital video and sound from the Mini to both the SC-25 and the Kuro.

Question #3: If the Kuro Input 4 & 6 are broken, should I try to get the Kuro fixed?
Question#4: Has anyone tried a DVI-D/Toslink adapter and had it work properly?

I'd appreciate any advice on this before I invest another $80-100 on an adapter. I did try and search the thread about this, but nothing like my problem came up. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I am by no means an authority on the 500m,just got one myself.But maybe you have to activate the inputs via the settings somewhere.Sounds like the inputs are not active?
Also maybe pg 56 of the manual may help you.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:19 PM

Solved it! I had somehow enabled the HD AV Converter setting on the Kuro. When I changed the setting to disabled, all is working now. Whew!
Old 12-12-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear.We learn something about these panels everyday.Which is a good thing.