The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Pt. II - Page 160 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4771 of 6991 Old 02-01-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by smendick View Post

Quick question: do I need to worry about the RGB color space for the D-nice break in settings on the 500m? There seems to be little/no discussion about this anywhere. Seems like it is especially important to consider this issue during the break-in.

Nah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 6991 Old 02-01-2010, 02:23 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

Nah.

Care to elaborate? I am using an oppo 971hd and using the break-in slides so that I can use the D-Nice reference settings. Are you saying that the RGB color settings won't affect the reference settings no matter what color space I use?
post #4773 of 6991 Old 02-01-2010, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

There seems to be little/no discussion about this anywhere.

The assumption is that you will use the correct color space.
post #4774 of 6991 Old 02-01-2010, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hello again! Thanks guys for all the tips. My set is using the PURE mode as set by an ISF calibrator (Doug Weil) who calibrated my TV back in November. I'm going to switch my Dish receiver (#VIP211) to using HDMI out to the Pioneer's HDMI in while disconnecting the RCA audio cables, but as I recall, I think most sync problems originate from my local digital OTA station which is an NBC affiliate; however, once I make this switch, I plan to document this sync problem if it doesn't clear up.

William R. Moore
post #4775 of 6991 Old 02-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Excellent! Too bad about the lack of in-home service.

Is this always the case, no in home?

KRP-500M
Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH
post #4776 of 6991 Old 02-01-2010, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy11 View Post

Is this always the case, no in home?

I have no first hand experience with Pioneer but it sounds like it's entirely up to the actual (third-party) service provider. Some will do in-home (in their service area) some won't.
post #4777 of 6991 Old 02-01-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:

The assumption is that you will use the correct color space.

For the sake of posterity, it was indeed correct with both DVD player and TV set to auto. Phew!
post #4778 of 6991 Old 02-01-2010, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

You know I recently had my 600m calibrated (to perfection by D-Nice! Thanks!). This was done for both my Oppo BDP-83 and my HD TiVo that was used with Comcast cable.

I am thinking about switching from Comcast to ATT U-Verse.
This means not only a different provider, but also a different DVR (TiVo to Moto).

Is my calibration for the TiVo going to be good with the U-Verse, or am I hosed and will need to re-calibrate?

Anyone have this experience?

Thanks

shane

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
post #4779 of 6991 Old 02-01-2010, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Crippling a Kuro with Pew-Verse is akin to putting regular-octane unleaded in your Lexus.
post #4780 of 6991 Old 02-02-2010, 05:32 AM

Is it just me or is my picture just keep getting better and better?
I guess I have about 500 hrs on my set now and it seems like my picture gets a little bit better every time I turn it on.

I cant decide if its because I am getting use to a properly calibrated set(coming from a torched LCD), or if it is just getting better by getting used more.

One way or the other my set is either looking better, or the correct picture is just growing on me.
post #4781 of 6991 Old 02-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post

Is my calibration for the TiVo going to be good with the U-Verse, or am I hosed and will need to re-calibrate?

Message him and ask. I wouldn't think you'd be "hosed", but there may be some minor tweaks he'd recommend. For instance he bumped up my sharpness setting some for the sake of DirecTv.
post #4782 of 6991 Old 02-02-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know I recently had my 600m calibrated (to perfection by D-Nice! Thanks!). This was done for both my Oppo BDP-83 and my HD TiVo that was used with Comcast cable.

This means not only a different provider, but also a different DVR (TiVo to Moto).

Thanks

shane

How do they calibrate to cable/sat, etc inputs? The boxes don't generate test patterns so what do they do?

bob
post #4783 of 6991 Old 02-02-2010, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

How do they calibrate to cable/sat, etc inputs? The boxes don't generate test patterns so what do they do?

bob

I like how Michael Chen replies to these posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post

Greetings

Cannot calibrate for cable or satellite. TIVO falls into that category. Nothing is reference on it ... channels and programming all vary greatly.

You take the DVD calibration and cross your fingers. You will have to adjust a bit on the fly.

Or you put a HD signal generator up to the TV ... set set it up that way ... and you still have to cross your fingers again hoping that the programming material matches this reference source. Which it may not.

regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post

Greetings

As mentioned. Won't really matter since TVs are never calibrated to cable boxes or satellite receivers per se. It is done with a signal generator which represents a reference signal source. After that ... you cross your fingers and hope the tv stuff falls into line with the generator reference. If not ... you still have to play with the brightness, color, tint here and there.

regards

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #4784 of 6991 Old 02-02-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Thanks

shane

Is the picture quality better with AT&T? I'm unhappy with Comcast right now and thinking of trying something else.
post #4785 of 6991 Old 02-02-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Hoping someone could advise me on the Spears & munsil dvd i just got to use on my 500m.I'm assuming i would use it in a particular pic setting like standard or user.Was hoping someone who has used the S&M could advise if there is a preferred pic setting when calib.w/ this dvd.I posted here due to 500m forum,if i should of posted in the calib. forum i can do that if need be.

Never used a calib. dvd so please bear with me.
post #4786 of 6991 Old 02-02-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post

Hoping someone could advise me on the Spears & munsil dvd i just got to use on my 500m.I'm assuming i would use it in a particular pic setting like standard or user.Was hoping someone who has used the S&M could advise if there is a preferred pic setting when calib.w/ this dvd.I posted here due to 500m forum,if i should of posted in the calib. forum i can do that if need be.

Never used a calib. dvd so please bear with me.

You can calibrate as many of the picture modes as you wish; just keep in mind that all modes will require separate calibrations. Further, not all picture modes are capable of producing high quality, accurate (linear) imagery. Out of the box, Pure mode is capable of the most accurate image, as it is derived from a professional reference Sony CRT monitor.

Beyond that, you can order the ISF patch, which provides access to the ISFccc modes. These are capable of an even more accurate (linear) image than is Pure.

S&M has a great user's manual on their site.
post #4787 of 6991 Old 02-02-2010, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the sake of posterity, it was indeed correct with both DVD player and TV set to auto. Phew!

I don't think think it would matter much anyway.
post #4788 of 6991 Old 02-02-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba View Post

Is the picture quality better with AT&T? I'm unhappy with Comcast right now and thinking of trying something else.

From what I have read, a lot depends on where you are and the local provider of each.

I have more reasons than just the PQ.

That said, I haven't made a decision yet.

shane

My HT Setup:
post #4789 of 6991 Old 02-02-2010, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scionracing View Post

You can calibrate as many of the picture modes as you wish; just keep in mind that all modes will require separate calibrations. Further, not all picture modes are capable of producing high quality, accurate (linear) imagery. Out of the box, Pure mode is capable of the most accurate image, as it is derived from a professional reference Sony CRT monitor.

Beyond that, you can order the ISF patch, which provides access to the ISFccc modes. These are capable of an even more accurate (linear) image than is Pure.

S&M has a great user's manual on their site.

Thanks.I do plan on getting the patch,just cant right now.Also need to see if i could install the patch myself.I'm not computer literate.Also if yopu know do i activate the blue only mode on the 500m when using the disk?
post #4790 of 6991 Old 02-02-2010, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks all for your replies...

If I decide to actually switch providers, I'll see what the results are and worry about it then.

shane

My HT Setup:
post #4791 of 6991 Old 02-02-2010, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba View Post

AT&T uses the most compression across all the providers due to the aging copper conduit that they insist on using. Generally speaking, they have the poorest quality of all.
post #4792 of 6991 Old 02-02-2010, 03:48 PM

I've found some useful information on this thread, so I thought I would try to give something back.

For quite some time I've been trying to create the perfect xorg.conf for the Pioneer KRP-500M, so that I could attain perfect 24/50/60hz. The following is my xorg.conf ( tested with the KRP-500M only ) that allows perfect synced playback in all refresh rates.

I've test this with both the Boxee and XBMC (9.11 Camelot ) releases on Ubuntu 9.10. You can use a very inexpensive set of hardware ( such as an ION setup ) and have a perfect 1080p24 HTPC for your Kuro.

You can simply copy this over your /etc/X11/xorg.conf, or use the modelines for your setup.

http://pastebin.com/f219f5d21

Enjoy.
post #4793 of 6991 Old 02-02-2010, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

I like how Michael Check replies to these posts:

Although it's more an affirmation than a solution my DVR recently gained the ability to talk to my network media server and at first glance it appears to be straightforward digital transport.
post #4794 of 6991 Old 02-03-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post

Thanks.I do plan on getting the patch,just cant right now.Also need to see if i could install the patch myself.I'm not computer literate.Also if yopu know do i activate the blue only mode on the 500m when using the disk?

Yes, if the display offers BOM, use it instead of the blue filter for setting color (saturation and hue). While blue filters are capable of being just as effective as BOM, we don't live in a perfect world; the filter may have some light leakage, which can result in color values that are far off-target.

Compared to using hardware (meter), BOM can arguably be nearly as accurate. When BOM is used correctly, you will typically be within a single click of the values you would arrive at using a colorimeter (hardly perceptible in real-world video).

P.S. Installing the patch is very straightforward. 'turbe' does an excellent job with the whole process. It really couldn't have been easier.
post #4795 of 6991 Old 02-03-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, if the display offers BOM, use it instead of the blue filter for setting color (saturation and hue). While blue filters are capable of being just as effective as BOM, we don't live in a perfect world; the filter may have some light leakage, which can result in color values that are far off-target.

Compared to using hardware (meter), BOM can arguably be nearly as accurate. When BOM is used correctly, you will typically be within a single click of the values you would arrive at using a colorimeter (hardly perceptible in real-world video).

P.S. Installing the patch is very straightforward. 'turbe' does an excellent job with the whole process. It really couldn't have been easier.

Thanks.I'm assuming i'll turn on the BOM when ready to do the color setting and turn it back off after the settings are done?Or do i keep it on throughout when using the S&M.
post #4796 of 6991 Old 02-03-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

My experience with blue only mode is that it's almost exactly as inaccurate as using a filter -- I always get oversaturated colors when I use it.
post #4797 of 6991 Old 02-03-2010, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, if the display offers BOM, use it instead of the blue filter for setting color (saturation and hue).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

My experience with blue only mode is that it's almost exactly as inaccurate as using a filter -- I always get oversaturated colors when I use it.

S&M have a brief about this on their site. Stacey mentioned they were reviewing their filter usability process.

As I've noted in the past I get results similar to my meter using the S&M HD pattern in BOM. I imagine there must be technique and physiological differences from person to person that make this less reliable than it can be. Fortunately there are enough posted values that one is unlikely to go too far wrong.
post #4798 of 6991 Old 02-03-2010, 10:33 AM

Got a issue with the IP control on my KRP 500m. When I try to enter a IP address into my browser I get a page not found. I am running my KRP 500m through a router and I have enabled the IP on the KRP but I'm still having issues.
post #4799 of 6991 Old 02-03-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioN00b View Post

Got a issue with the IP control on my KRP 500m.

If IP Control is set to Enable then you debug network problems the same way you would for any other device on your network. i.e. does it have carrier, an ip address on the right sub-net, is your router blocking the traffic, does some other device have the same address, does ping work etc. etc. etc.
post #4800 of 6991 Old 02-03-2010, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

S&M have a brief about this on their site. Stacey mentioned they were reviewing their filter usability process.

As I've noted in the past I get results similar to my meter using the S&M HD pattern in BOM. I imagine there must be technique and physiological differences from person to person that make this less reliable than it can be. Fortunately there are enough posted values that one is unlikely to go too far wrong.

I've never used the S&M disc, only Avia, DVE and the AVS discs. The techniques are too simple to mess up and the the results are so consistent between the discs that I don't think it's an error on my part.

Could be a physiological difference, I guess, but I know that D-Nice predicted that the color would be 5 clicks too high using BOM and it was *exactly* five clicks too high when I used a meter.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page