The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Pt. II - Page 212 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #6331 of 6991 Old 09-12-2011, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I've had my 500m for a little over 2 years now. I've got an extended 3-year warranty. Ran into an issue recently where one of the HDMI ports appears to have died. No biggie as I can run everything thru my AVR into one of the HDMI ports. However, I'm starting to think it may be worthwhile to utilize my warranty and see if the other port can be repaired (for future use). Does anyone know if the replacement of an HDMI port for this set is feasible/possible due to parts availability ? There's no way I'd "replace" this set via warranty over 1 dead HDMI port, but I was curious if anyone had any experience with the repair of a dead HDMI port via warranty ? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6332 of 6991 Old 09-12-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumacdo View Post

Hi all,

I've had my 500m for a little over 2 years now. I've got an extended 3-year warranty. Ran into an issue recently where one of the HDMI ports appears to have died. No biggie as I can run everything thru my AVR into one of the HDMI ports. However, I'm starting to think it may be worthwhile to utilize my warranty and see if the other port can be repaired (for future use). Does anyone know if the replacement of an HDMI port for this set is feasible/possible due to parts availability ? There's no way I'd "replace" this set via warranty over 1 dead HDMI port, but I was curious if anyone had any experience with the repair of a dead HDMI port via warranty ? Thanks in advance.

If you get a repair, I'd probably make them do an in-home repair and don't let it out of your sight. Repair places can be hit or miss and while some treat sets properly, others just toss them in the back of a pickup when they're transporting.
post #6333 of 6991 Old 09-12-2011, 12:15 PM

Yep. I have no intention of letting them take it out of my house. I just wasn't sure how complex the replacement of a bad HDMI port on a Kuro is ?
post #6334 of 6991 Old 09-13-2011, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Maybe you should contact Pioneer tech support first, assuming you can negotiate thru all those stupid and annoying recorded announcements, to see what they recommend. Also you would want to contact an authorized Pioneer servicer to perform this delicate "surgery," if that's what is needed.
Also, I'm wondering if someone could explain an issue I'm having with my KRP600M. I'm trying to set up the composite input using the Movie mode for playback of laserdiscs. MY LD player is directly connected to the TVs composite input. I have used my LD version of Video Essentials and obtained only "so-so" results, (gray blacks being the biggest issue) so I thought I could use my DV59AVi dvd player, using the composite out and the same cable, and then using AVIA or even the DVD version of Video Essentials, the test signals of which would be at least better quality and possibly more accurate, but after calibrating using this set-up, when I went back to play an LD, the blacks were way off at least as much or more than before. Why might this be? Any help would be appreciated.

William R. Moore
post #6335 of 6991 Old 09-13-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moore View Post

Maybe you should contact Pioneer tech support first, assuming you can negotiate thru all those stupid and annoying recorded announcements, to see what they recommend. Also you would want to contact an authorized Pioneer servicer to perform this delicate "surgery," if that's what is needed.
Also, I'm wondering if someone could explain an issue I'm having with my KRP600M. I'm trying to set up the composite input using the Movie mode for playback of laserdiscs. MY LD player is directly connected to the TVs composite input. I have used my LD version of Video Essentials and obtained only "so-so" results, (gray blacks being the biggest issue) so I thought I could use my DV59AVi dvd player, using the composite out and the same cable, and then using AVIA or even the DVD version of Video Essentials, the test signals of which would be at least better quality and possibly more accurate, but after calibrating using this set-up, when I went back to play an LD, the blacks were way off at least as much or more than before. Why might this be? Any help would be appreciated.

Make sure you're in the right colorspace (16-235 rather than 0-255). You could also try the BR version if you have one of those players. Per wikipedia, LD had inconsistent PQ across players so it's also possible that your cal disc just doesn't display right on your player. If nothing else works, I guess you could try looking for some player or hookup to rip to PC and then burn to a DVD or BR for the LD's you want to watch (assuming here that you own the LD's since I'm not aware of anywhere you can rent those).
post #6336 of 6991 Old 09-13-2011, 07:37 PM

I own about 150 LDs and many of my titles have never shown up on DVD, let alone BluRay. How can I check if I have the right colorspace on this input? Probably a dumb question, but is it in the menu? Also, what about using another pic mode, rather than MOVIE, such as STANDARD?

William R. Moore
post #6337 of 6991 Old 09-13-2011, 07:54 PM

Liked: 12
There is no selectable color space with an analog composite input.
post #6338 of 6991 Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbonacci View Post

There is no selectable color space with an analog composite input.

If he can find a way to output component, there is.

Quote:

I own about 150 LDs and many of my titles have never shown up on DVD, let alone BluRay. How can I check if I have the right colorspace on this input? Probably a dumb question, but is it in the menu? Also, what about using another pic mode, rather than MOVIE, such as STANDARD?

Check out this link. It has a lot of useful information about conversion of LD's to PC and/or other formats, including some discussion of black level.

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...isc-conversion

See if anything there helps, but also see if people have any posted settings they use for whatever model LD player you're using.

If it were me, I'd probably just get some stuff to convert it from LD so you have a more permanent copy not so dependent on old hardware. Plus, it'll look significantly better if you do a good conversion and then output over dvi/hdmi in nice ISF mode
post #6339 of 6991 Old 09-13-2011, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the tip and I'll research a little more and get back to you!

William R. Moore
post #6340 of 6991 Old 09-13-2011, 10:30 PM

[quote=dlplover;20946981]If he can find a way to output component, there is.

Laserdisc is a native composite format...The easiest thing I can think of trying which would allow color space selection, upscaling, etc. is to connect the composite output of the laserdisc player to an AVR (or video processor like a DVDO), then let the AVR send HDMI to the display. Without testing, however, I am not sure this would achieve better results then just connecting the laser disc player to the display via composite or S-video.
post #6341 of 6991 Old 09-14-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

when I went back to play an LD, the blacks were way off at least as much or more than before. Why might this be? Any help would be appreciated.

Given archaic equipment it's possible you have a "set-up" problem. The Kuro has a black level control which might help -- or not, I've never used or tested it. Older DVD players used to have black level controls but I believe HDMI has made them extinct.

The Settings section in the FAQ has a link to a lengthy discussion of color space and levels.
post #6342 of 6991 Old 09-14-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Did post get deleted?

home theater addict
post #6343 of 6991 Old 09-16-2011, 01:26 PM

Looks like my 500m, about 2 years old now, is exhibiting some of the reddish tint in black areas that others on these boards have reported. I just noticed this yesterday: my 500m was recently repaired (A-board replaced and a few other components, I think) after I fried it by dropping one of the 500m's external speaker wires onto a surge protector (be careful with those wires!). I suspect that the red-shift was present on my 500m before the repair, and that I am only noticing it now because I was hunting for flaws after the extensive repair.

Regarding the red shift, I have noticed what several others have said: the empty, black areas of the screen (especially the blank aspect-ratio bars) appear slightly red instead of deep, dark (nearly black) gray. It seems most pronounced on the lower right-hand side. I cannot detect red at all in any kind of material other than dark, blank screens and black bars. I did not know anything about this kuro/500m red shift phenomenon until today when I searched for "500m red tint" in this forum, so I don't think that it's my imagination. I don't think that this reddish tint was present when I first bought the TV 2 years ago (back when I was hunting for every possible flaw), but who knows.

Anyway, not a big deal, and the picture is still miles better than my Panny p50g10, but as others have said, it seems that some of these sets aren't as flawless (over time, anyway) as the early raves indicated.
post #6344 of 6991 Old 09-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Not sure if you saw my comments or not but I had pretty much the same experience as you (I have a 500M as well). It is mainly noticeable in completely black scenes or in the letterbox bars. I think mine is a little more pronounced in the upper right corner. I never noticed the reddish tint when I first got the display and I looked the TV over very carefully for any flaws back then. It is very disappointing that this has happened to our TVs. I love my Kuro and think it is the best display ever made but it makes me mad that this problem has popped up. People treat these TVs like a god but they have problems just like other TVs do. I have been wanting to get a larger display anyways and even though the quality supposedly won't reach 500M levels I am in a sad way glad to not watch on my 500M as much because I tend to focus on the red tint now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaken134 View Post

Looks like my 500m, about 2 years old now, is exhibiting some of the reddish tint in black areas that others on these boards have reported. I just noticed this yesterday: my 500m was recently repaired (A-board replaced and a few other components, I think) after I fried it by dropping one of the 500m's external speaker wires onto a surge protector (be careful with those wires!). I suspect that the red-shift was present on my 500m before the repair, and that I am only noticing it now because I was hunting for flaws after the extensive repair.

Regarding the red shift, I have noticed what several others have said: the empty, black areas of the screen (especially the blank aspect-ratio bars) appear slightly red instead of deep, dark (nearly black) gray. It seems most pronounced on the lower right-hand side. I cannot detect red at all in any kind of material other than dark, blank screens and black bars. I did not know anything about this kuro/500m red shift phenomenon until today when I searched for "500m red tint" in this forum, so I don't think that it's my imagination. I don't think that this reddish tint was present when I first bought the TV 2 years ago (back when I was hunting for every possible flaw), but who knows.

Anyway, not a big deal, and the picture is still miles better than my Panny p50g10, but as others have said, it seems that some of these sets aren't as flawless (over time, anyway) as the early raves indicated.

post #6345 of 6991 Old 09-17-2011, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaken134 View Post

What happens if you turn down the R-cut?
post #6346 of 6991 Old 09-17-2011, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

Not sure if you saw my comments or not but I had pretty much the same experience as you (I have a 500M as well). It is mainly noticeable in completely black scenes or in the letterbox bars. I think mine is a little more pronounced in the upper right corner. I never noticed the reddish tint when I first got the display and I looked the TV over very carefully for any flaws back then. It is very disappointing that this has happened to our TVs. I love my Kuro and think it is the best display ever made but it makes me mad that this problem has popped up. People treat these TVs like a god but they have problems just like other TVs do. I have been wanting to get a larger display anyways and even though the quality supposedly won't reach 500M levels I am in a sad way glad to not watch on my 500M as much because I tend to focus on the red tint now.

Well, Pio did seemingly rush out these 9.5G series, so this may have got past the QC in their rush to release before the operations were halted.
post #6347 of 6991 Old 09-17-2011, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Well, Pio did seemingly rush out these 9.5G series, so this may have got past the QC in their rush to release before the operations were halted.

Pioneer never rushed out the monitors. They were planned well before they ever came to market.
post #6348 of 6991 Old 09-17-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surap View Post

What happens if you turn down the R-cut?

Turning down the R-Low control does not work like you think.
post #6349 of 6991 Old 09-18-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just for curiosity, do any of you with this red problem video-game heavily? I notice a number of games have red pause screens etc.. so perhaps you're seeing some kind of Red Dead Retention
post #6350 of 6991 Old 09-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

I game every once in a while. Not very much though and I have never seen a red pause screen rofl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

Just for curiosity, do any of you with this red problem video-game heavily? I notice a number of games have red pause screens etc.. so perhaps you're seeing some kind of Red Dead Retention

post #6351 of 6991 Old 09-18-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Pioneer never rushed out the monitors. They were planned well before they ever came to market.

I was only surmising, but the manufacturing arm that was responsible for building the last batches must've known they were about to get the axe, or at least had some clues so as to be able to make that conclusion.
post #6352 of 6991 Old 09-19-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I was only surmising, but the manufacturing arm that was responsible for building the last batches must've known they were about to get the axe, or at least had some clues so as to be able to make that conclusion.

That's why I think the people with issues should reveal what month their set was manufactured. I remember some of the sets were manufactured after Pioneer revealed what was going to happen. Maybe I'm wrong.
post #6353 of 6991 Old 09-19-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwasie View Post

That's why I think the people with issues should reveal what month their set was manufactured. I remember some of the sets were manufactured after Pioneer revealed what was going to happen. Maybe I'm wrong.

I have a September 2008 101FD, January 2009 500M and February 2009 141FD. None have an unusual red tint to the blacks.
post #6354 of 6991 Old 09-19-2011, 01:02 PM

Perhaps I would be OK with a red tint to the blacks. What I am having trouble with is purple/red dots like a cloud in white or almost white screens. See attached pics from a KRP-500M...
LL
LL
post #6355 of 6991 Old 09-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

D, if you are going to watch a movie which TV do you use? Or in other words what is your main HT TV or what are the uses of each TV? Just curious since you have so many great displays

Quote:

I have a September 2008 101FD, January 2009 500M and February 2009 141FD. None have an unusual red tint to the blacks.

post #6356 of 6991 Old 09-19-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:

There we go, manufactured date is probably not the cause.
post #6357 of 6991 Old 09-19-2011, 03:12 PM

Indeed, scratch my idea. Could be a component that is out of spec or failing prematurely.
post #6358 of 6991 Old 09-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

My 500M has a manufacture date of October 2008
post #6359 of 6991 Old 09-19-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Did post get deleted?

It will get worse over time, my 5020fd started with a very small bar in the bottom right corner, it slowly spread its way to the left across the bottom of the screen. A month later it appeared in the top right corner, and it spread there as well. A little more than a year later, and nearly the entire panel is affected now. Watching anything in the dark now is impossible to enjoy. BTW, every 5020 I have read about with this problem was manufactured in June or July of 2008
post #6360 of 6991 Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:

My 500M has a manufacture date of October 2008

my 500m is also October 2008 and I do not experience what you are seeing. D-nice is defintely right then.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page