The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Pt. II - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #631 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

600M

how do you forget about screen size??????? the extra 44% larger screen area of the 600M is right there in front of you!

I know that already. I was interested in just the quality of the picture NOT the size of the screen. I thought I made my question clear on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
There's not much that can be done about "pixel stretch". A larger TV of the same resolution will have larger pixels, period.

But if price isn't a factor, the large screen size is hard to ignore. The black level difference is real, but IMO, not enough to overcome the size difference. My only concern with the 600M would be DSE. In my experience, the 500M and 101FD seem to have overcome this problem.
post #633 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Jim in Boston please invite Paul in Boston over to see your new TV if you get a 500.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
post #634 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 06:52 AM

Spiderjericho....I just got the stand today bought it from seller AV Exchange on ebay. It came new and packaged in the bix with all the hardware to attach it to the TV. If you go to Vanns.com they have the TV with free stand right now for a good price. Vanns is an extremely reputable retailer.
post #635 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 06:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_In_Boston View Post

If this has already been discussed please forgive my bringing it up again. I did look in the FAQ's and didn't see this mentioned.

My question is if you could only chose between the 500M and the 600M which one would you pick?

Forget about the screen size and the difference in the cost between the two sets.

Just use the quality of the picture as the deciding factor.

Many post in here say that the 500M has blacker blacks and I have read in many post that the larger the screen size the less sharp the picture is.

I was wondering if Pioneer was able to overcome the limitation (pixel stretch ???) on the larger size screen and deliver as sharp a picture as the 500M.

Are these two sets so close in quality that there is no real difference?

So taking into account only the reproduction of the movie / TV show what would you pick?

500M or 600M?

Jim

Jim,

To make an informed decision as you request then you must take all circumstances of the panels into consideration, in my original view when the 600 and 500 were calibrated and placed side by side in a the same room there is a difference in black level from the 500 to the 600, an example would be if the 500 was at 1% black than the 600 would be at 1.5-2% black at the worst. My 600m and others I have been involved with have not reported any issues with DSE.

As for the comparison of only reproduction of picture in reference to sharpness- they are extremely similar. Our family watches the 600m 80% of the time and would be heartbroke if I moved it... it is also in our largest room which should and does play a part in the decision process in the comparison you are considering, smaller rooms may be more suitable to the 500m in some opinions.

I helped another forum member with his decision by having him take something of equal size to each panel (sheet, cardboard, string) and post it in the area you considering mounting your TV and then do the same with the other panel- sit back look at the difference and you will see why so many here tell you screen size is as critical of a component as the others. sorry for length.
post #636 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatel1080 View Post

Spiderjericho....I just got the stand today bought it from seller AV Exchange on ebay. It came new and packaged in the bix with all the hardware to attach it to the TV. If you go to Vanns.com they have the TV with free stand right now for a good price. Vanns is an extremely reputable retailer.

The proper stand for the 500m is the KRPTS02 and the wall mount is the KRPWM02 and both can still be found online. I will not quote a retailer or a site but if you search thee shall find.
post #637 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-home View Post

No offense intended but you really should not have to go to all that trouble since you can customize to the pixel source (720,1080i, 1080p etc) and make the adjustments only once for each to reflect the settings you most desire. I have the same SA8300HD (gotta love Time Warner) and have the 600m setup to alter dependent on the source.

I wasnt saying I do that every single time lol. Just pointing out that the PS3 settings did not carry over and look greaton the HDMI 6 cable settings. I just adjusted once and its fine ever since, but i was saying he more than likely WILL have to make many adjustments.
post #638 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

Invision, Best Buy Plasma, Cleveland Plasma, Value Electronics, Beyond Plasma, Visual Apex, Monitor Outlet, Vanns

Common mistake.. but its "BUY best plama" not Best Buy Plasma
post #639 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderjericho View Post

Aargh, no price talk, but could someone recommend some vendors.

The Special Posting Rules for Display Forums say
Quote:

1. Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer.
  2. Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
  3. Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
  4. Do Not put down someone else's choice in their purchase.
  5. Do Not start a thread asking for the best TV for $XXXX or I have a $XXXXX to spend
  6. Do Not Discus where to buy a TV.

I'm fairly confident they mean don't discuss rather than don't engage in discus. The prohibition is marketing in general and that includes forum sponsors (I neither make nor enforce the rules, I just point them out). That and other useful KRP tidbits are in the FAQ.
post #640 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird8450 View Post

The black level difference is real, but IMO, not enough to overcome the size difference. My only concern with the 600M would be DSE. In my experience, the 500M and 101FD seem to have overcome this problem.

Thank You, this info is what I was after.
post #641 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfan View Post

My apologies! Thanks for the correction.
post #642 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Best Buy on Ebay with warranties would be unstoppable. if they match any price and you have problems you could return your set with there in store return policy would be ridiculous, anyway it was buy best plasma when we returned to Earth.

Awaiting the Reference Standard in Blu Ray REGION FREE Player Technology and EW service..............................still waiting. :)
post #643 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-home View Post

Jim,

in my original view when the 600 and 500 were calibrated and placed side by side in a the same room there is a difference in black level from the 500 to the 600, an example would be if the 500 was at 1% black than the 600 would be at 1.5-2% black at the worst.

As for the comparison of only reproduction of picture in reference to sharpness- they are extremely similar.

I can sit as close as 8 or 9 feet or as far away as 16 or 18 feet so I am not as concerned about the screen size as I am about the quality (sharpness and color) of the picture. In my opinion screen size is second in importance to picture clarity.

Thanks for the reply.
post #644 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can sit as close as 8 or 9 feet

Some people think that's far enough for a 60". That's how far we sit from our 500M and I don't feel any desire for a larger panel. For a notable range of distance the smaller pixels will look sharper given suitable content.
post #645 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can sit as close as 8 or 9 feet or as far away as 16 or 18 feet so I am not as concerned about the screen size as I am about the quality (sharpness and color) of the picture. In my opinion screen size is second in importance to picture clarity.

Thanks for the reply.

Get a 600. You won't miss the subtle difference in PQ but you will miss the larger screen.
post #646 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

The Special Posting Rules for Display Forums say

I'm fairly confident they mean don't discuss rather than don't engage in discus. The prohibition is marketing in general and that includes forum sponsors (I neither make nor enforce the rules, I just point them out). That and other useful KRP tidbits are in the FAQ.

No problem. I understand the need to have sponsors, but it's so weird that a site like this, which is mainly based on word of mouth can't help its members save on a buck (unless pm'ing). That's why I like a site like Cheap Ass Gamer.

And I purchased the KRP and will be returning the 5020 (sniff). I appreciate the info about the stands on Ebay. I just need to get the speakers. Even with all of that, the set is cheaper than the 5020. I'll probably pay for the patch but won't have it calibrated until I save a few bucks (and get a receiver).
post #647 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No problem. I understand the need to have sponsors, but it's so weird that a site like this, which is mainly based on word of mouth can't help its members save on a buck (unless pm'ing).

If they let you quote prices in here in the forums--> then the forum sponsors may lose business --> less advertising on this site --> site shuts down.
post #648 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:

No problem. I understand the need to have sponsors, but it's so weird that a site like this, which is mainly based on word of mouth can't help its members save on a buck (unless pm'ing). That's why I like a site like Cheap Ass Gamer.

There is a section of AVS where you can freely discuss deals but it is for AVS Club Members only.

Membership is $35 per year and the fee helps to support a forum that provides so much help and useful info to everyone interested in HT.
post #649 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 12:37 PM

Liked: 16
Can anyone here post the optimal setting parameters in KRP-500M Movie mode that will give me the best clarity, sharpest, crispest picture possible, the best depth, deepest picture hue and best contrast, with bright whites and deep blacks without the patch? I would also like a setting that emulates dynamic mode to a T, while using the 72hz refresh rate. Any response would be appreciated.
post #650 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:

If they let you quote prices in here in the forums--> then the forum sponsors may lose business --> less advertising on this site --> site shuts down.

Oh, I understand. That's why I'm not complaining. The site is still a great source of information for those who are interested in buying a tv or are enthusiasts for the AV market.
post #651 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 01:57 PM

I just finished breaking in my 500M and will be applying D Nice's settings today. I'm pretty excited to finally get to fully enjoy this set!
post #652 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARQMAGE View Post

Can anyone here post the optimal setting parameters in KRP-500M Movie mode ... without the patch?

Eh?

The patch doesn't have anything to do with any (other) AV modes.
post #653 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

The patch doesn't have anything to do with any (other) AV modes.

He's saying he thinks the patch(ISF modes) would yield the 'best' quality picture but if you read it again and maybe again, you'd understand that he wants to get the 'best' PQ with his MovIe mode, currently on his KRP.

In other words, he isn't comparing the 2 ,he just wants reference settings to Movie mode.

Everything else < Kuro PLASMA
post #654 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARQMAGE View Post

I would also like a setting that emulates dynamic mode to a T, while using the 72hz refresh rate. Any response would be appreciated.

These are the non-default user settings that make Dynamic contrasty and over-saturated:
Setting Internal
DRE DRPS02
Gamma GMMS03
Cspace CSMS01
PureCin PUCS01
Enhance ENHS02
BLKstr BLKS01
CTI CTIS01
Drive FFMS01
ACL ACLS01
IPmode IPMS02
Intell ITMS01
3dYC DYCS02
BlkNR BNRS01
FieldNR FNRS02
3dNR NR3S02
post #655 of 7010 Old 08-01-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll0037 View Post

I just finished breaking in my 500M and will be applying D Nice's settings today. I'm pretty excited to finally get to fully enjoy this set!

Congratulations! IMO the PQ and your appreciation for the KRP only gets better from here on out.

Everything else < Kuro PLASMA
post #656 of 7010 Old 08-02-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatel1080 View Post

I ordered from beach camera...best price I found online. Beach trading is listed as a Pioneer authorized retailer if you search for edison, NJ. Ordered a TV from them a few years ago as well. ABES of Maine also had it for the same price; they are another authorized retailer located in Edison, NJ. The PDK-TS23 stand can be found on EBAY for much less than the MSRP.

I have a question. Since Beach is an authorized dealer, could I purchase a Mack warranty from say Tapeworks Texas or whoever and it will extend the warranty and coverage for the monitor?
post #657 of 7010 Old 08-02-2009, 01:28 PM

They sell mack warranties as well.
post #658 of 7010 Old 08-02-2009, 03:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have a question. Since Beach is an authorized dealer, could I purchase a Mack warranty from say Tapeworks Texas or whoever and it will extend the warranty and coverage for the monitor?

Normally yes, it just has to be submitted within a certain time frame from purchase, call Mack and insure they will accept prior to purchase.
post #659 of 7010 Old 08-02-2009, 06:03 PM

So I finally started enjoying the 500m yesterday after break in and even without D Nice's settings, it looks amazing to me. Better than my Sharp Aquos I'd say.

Anyhow, I tried checking the hours to verify how many hours the TV logged during break in, but I couldn't get it to work.

I was directly connected from my laptop (Windows Vista) to the 500m via a crossover cable. I turned IP Control to on in the setup menu for the 500M. Then I opened an IE browser and typed in the IP address listed on the set, but I got nothing. I also tried the "url" posted by someone else that incorporates the IP to check the hours, EZ Hours, but I still got nothing. The page just times out.

Am I doing something wrong here? I've never done anything like this before so I'm just going for it based on what I've read here.

FWIW, the indicator lights did light up on the laptop port and the 500m port once the cable was connected.
post #660 of 7010 Old 08-02-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll0037 View Post

So I finally started enjoying the 500m yesterday after break in and even without D Nice's settings, it looks amazing to me. Better than my Sharp Aquos I'd say.

Anyhow, I tried checking the hours to verify how many hours the TV logged during break in, but I couldn't get it to work.

I was directly connected from my laptop (Windows Vista) to the 500m via a crossover cable. I turned IP Control to on in the setup menu for the 500M. Then I opened an IE browser and typed in the IP address listed on the set, but I got nothing. I also tried the "url" posted by someone else that incorporates the IP to check the hours, EZ Hours, but I still got nothing. The page just times out.

Am I doing something wrong here? I've never done anything like this before so I'm just going for it based on what I've read here.

FWIW, the indicator lights did light up on the laptop port and the 500m port once the cable was connected.

I had this problem for a couple of days of trying, but did end up working through it.

I was on XP, not on Vista, but the only thing that was stopping the connection was either the firewall (which I temporary disabled), or more likely it was the "allow other computers to connect to the internet" option in the wired network advanced settings. Just to be on the safe side, I turned off wifi when adjusting the settings, just be sure to change the settings back to where they were when you're done.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page