The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Pt. II - Page 236 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #7051 of 7070 Old 09-07-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Should I consider buying a 600M with one bad HDMI port? With my receiver in the chain, I only need to utilize one, but if the second goes, none.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7052 of 7070 Old 09-07-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
Should I consider buying a 600M with one bad HDMI port? With my receiver in the chain, I only need to utilize one, but if the second goes, none.
Indeed the HDMI inputs on the M's do not come across as being very stable. A bit to the right, a bit to the left and the signal is gone. You are taking a risk, but you are taking a risk anyway by buying a five year old TV. If you are willing to take that risk make shure that you come up with something that will make that once the HDMI is connected it will stay there.
post #7053 of 7070 Old 09-07-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Thanks for the reply.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #7054 of 7070 Old 09-07-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
Should I consider buying a 600M with one bad HDMI port?
The DVI port is equivalent modulo audio.
post #7055 of 7070 Old 09-08-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
The DVI port is equivalent modulo audio.
What about component? From what i understand it does 1080p.
post #7056 of 7070 Old 09-08-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
What about component?
No HDCP.
post #7057 of 7070 Old 09-16-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Planning to calibrate my krp-600m and krp-500m monitors.
For grayscale, gamma and Color gamut calibration what size windows should i use. should they be apl, non apl or equal energy.
I have access to AVSHD, GCD and Masicor disc.
Thanks.
post #7058 of 7070 Old 10-19-2014, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Dunno if this is the right place to post this, but given how rare it is ...

I just happened to spot a KRP-600M for sale on eBay. US $1,380 OBO.

Seller requests local delivery only - Pasadena, California area.
post #7059 of 7070 Old 10-29-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
Yes. There are various choices, the optimal one depends on the upstream (stb/player/avr) capabilities.
I came here to get some answers on this very same topic. I have a PRO-111FD, so what should I be setting my video game consoles to as long as I leave the Kuro's colorspace set to AUTO? RGB Full? Force YCbCr?

I have an Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, and PS4.
post #7060 of 7070 Old 10-29-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lushious View Post
I came here to get some answers on this very same topic. I have a PRO-111FD, so what should I be setting my video game consoles to as long as I leave the Kuro's colorspace set to AUTO? RGB Full? Force YCbCr?

I have an Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, and PS4.
^^
The monitor issues (KRP-X00, PRO-101/141) don't apply to the televisions (PRO-111/151). Auto should just work but you should check the Kuro Elite threads.
post #7061 of 7070 Old 11-01-2014, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by denon a1xva View Post
Not yet. I will give an update asap, time and distance is the problem right now
Hello from Austria!

As a owner of a Pioneer KRP600A and a KRP500A BG I received an offer for a Pioneer KRP500M which can not be switched on - the blue and the red LED are lightning - no picture or any other reaction.

could you please tell me if there is any possibility to repair this panel.

thank you

regards Manfred
post #7062 of 7070 Old 11-04-2014, 02:20 AM

I've got new Informations:

Only the blue led is lightning when the panel is switched on but no picture or anything else.
post #7063 of 7070 Old 11-04-2014, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello Manfred,

Sorry for the delay. If you can send me your e-mail, i will send you a manual for all Kuro models included the error codes. I can't find the website anymore.

I gave up on trying to fix the panel myself and now sended it to some friends to check it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smirre666 View Post
Hello from Austria!

As a owner of a Pioneer KRP600A and a KRP500A BG I received an offer for a Pioneer KRP500M which can not be switched on - the blue and the red LED are lightning - no picture or any other reaction.

could you please tell me if there is any possibility to repair this panel.

thank you

regards Manfred
smirre666 likes this.
post #7064 of 7070 Old 11-04-2014, 03:52 AM

Hello!

That would be great, thank you.

here is my mail adress:

dozznabloedfried @ yahoo . de
post #7065 of 7070 Old 11-04-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hello everyone, I have connected with DVI and DVI to the PC Krp600M, the menu entry I-mode Video and PC because the latter raises a lot the minimum luminance of the panel. The problem is that the color saturation to 100% of the stimulus goes off the gamut from very, however the 25-50-75% are in the target. I can not understand this, as a media player using TotalMedia Theater and nvidia drivers with color space in 16-235, I have to create an ICC profile into the correct OS? Thank you in advance and look through answers.

Tv Pioneer Kuro PDP Lx5090H / Amplifier AV Denon Avr 2311 / Sources BDP Pioneer Lx52 - CDR Pioneer Pdr04 - Htpc Silverstone Asus Quad Core - My SkyHD / Console Playstation 3 - Nintendo WiiU / Speakers Klipsch RF82 / Probe i1Display Pro

post #7066 of 7070 Old 11-08-2014, 05:56 AM

I have the panel at home right now

I`ve got a little programm from a juser from the hifi forum where you can read the panel hours, actual video mode, panel temperature, isf settings and so on, you also can send test patterns to the screen,

I checked it and the patterns work perfectly, I can display every colour, horizontal and vertical stripes, ...

it means that the display and the power supply should work, only the video section is not working i guess

(the program also doesnt display the video mode )

does anyone now what it means?

Thank you
post #7067 of 7070 Old 11-20-2014, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Does anybody have measurements of multiple primary (and secondary) color saturation levels on a Pioneer KRP-500?
The chart I attached to this post as an example (->see below) is from a calibrated Panasonic 65VT60 (measured by me a few days ago for a client).

The reason I am interested is that I didn't have time for this hobby and thus I failed to pick up a 50GT60 to replace my old 42G30 (which was always too small and I never liked the 30 series but I have never planned to keep it for this long, I just picked it up for cheap one day) and now somebody nearby has a KRP-500a for sale at a reasonable price (he just bought a Samsung OLED).

I have been calibrating many Panasonic, Samsung and LG HDTVs since 2012, so I am very familiar with them all (my personal favorite in terms of overall quality / price is the 50GT60) but I joined this field a few years after Pioneer had decided to shut down, so I am not that familiar with the Kuros. I did measure a few 8G Kuros and I did saw some 9G Kuros with my naked eyes but never a KRP-500. Thus, I am aware that 8G Kuros are definitely worse than these 50 and 60 series Panaosnic PDPs but that 9G is a whole different level. But I don't know where KRP really stands in terms of color reproduction and dithering quality, or just how motion handling feels on them (when compared to Panasonic's Focused Field Drive which I know is pretty cool, definitely better than 8G Kuros if you ask me).

Of course, I do plan to make a quick review for myself before buying a used unit but it's a little hard to negotiate about that ("Hy, I saw you a have KRP500 for sale. Can I bring my spectrophotometer and take some measurements before I buy it?" -> ~~~ "WHAT??? What's that? I don't know, I don't think that's necessary... Why can't you just come over and take a quick look like normal people would...? I assure you it's not broken and it's a legendary TV. It doesn't need repair and it's the best plasma that is." LOL), so I want to gather as much information online as possible before I "push the issue".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.png
Views:	19
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	375778  

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list

Last edited by janos666; 11-20-2014 at 07:40 AM.
post #7068 of 7070 Old 11-21-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

Of course, I do plan to make a quick review for myself before buying a used unit but it's a little hard to negotiate about that ("Hy, I saw you a have KRP500 for sale. Can I bring my spectrophotometer and take some measurements before I buy it?" -> ~~~ "WHAT??? What's that? I don't know, I don't think that's necessary... Why can't you just come over and take a quick look like normal people would...? I assure you it's not broken and it's a legendary TV. It doesn't need repair and it's the best plasma that is." LOL), so I want to gather as much information on-line as possible before I "push the issue".
If the market is so hot in Hungary for Pioneer Kuro displays then that might be a reason to pass. At the least you should check for any persistent image retention or significant defective pixels. There is no way to tell if your calibration background will enable you to get the most out of a Pioneer Kuro. I'm not a professional calibrator.
post #7069 of 7070 Old 11-22-2014, 02:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
If the market is so hot in Hungary for Pioneer Kuro displays then that might be a reason to pass.
Hot market? No. Not at all. I was passively searching for a relatively great deal on a KRP-500 during the last ~4 years. It was always a rare occurrence if somebody offered one for sale and the price rarely fell to a category I considered "sane" (let alone "acceptable") and/or somebody had called dips on them (regardless of the price) before I noticed.

This one is kind of a frozen deal because the guy claims he and the other potential buyer will be both too busy in the next few days to meet. So, I have a chance to apply some pressure on the matter and claim it first if I want to.

Quote:
At the least you should check for any persistent image retention or significant defective pixels.
I always assume that I come through like a ****** when I try to express my thoughts in English. But no, I am not as stupid as my writing style suggests. :P

Quote:
There is no way to tell if your calibration background will enable you to get the most out of a Pioneer Kuro. I'm not a professional calibrator.
Huh? What?
I don't claim to be an all-knowing God but:
1: An HDTV is always an HDTV. It really can't be so much more difficult to handle than any other HDTV. (I did work with some Kuros, just not a KRP-500 in particular.)
2: Would it really be that bad if I couldn't handle it any better but only as well as an average Joe? (I wasn't aware Kuros are actually very bad unless you give them some sort of special treatment.)

---

Kuros are relatively old, so the last time I happened to measure a 9G Kuro, measuring colors at various saturation levels wasn't part of my standard work-flow (unlike nowadays) and I can't possibly remember well enough to make a subjective comparison to a last generation Panasonic from memory, thus I have absolutely no idea if they mix the colors better or worse. And on top of that, the KRP-500 supposed to be slightly different from the 5090 which I saw (and very different from the 5080 which I measured this way - and wasn't satisfied at all). That's why I ask if somebody might have this data to help me out.

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list

Last edited by janos666; 11-22-2014 at 06:28 AM.
post #7070 of 7070 Old 11-22-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post
Of course, I do plan to make a quick review for myself before buying a used unit but it's a little hard to negotiate about that ("Hy, I saw you a have KRP500 for sale. Can I bring my spectrophotometer and take some measurements before I buy it?" -> ~~~ "WHAT??? What's that? I don't know, I don't think that's necessary... Why can't you just come over and take a quick look like normal people would...? I assure you it's not broken and it's a legendary TV. It doesn't need repair and it's the best plasma that is." LOL), so I want to gather as much information online as possible before I "push the issue".
Ask the guy how much time you have to inspect the TV. He will probably say ''as long as you want to''. Just take you equipment with you and pretend that it is normal (it is because it is a pro inspection..sorts of).
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page