AVS Forum banner

The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Pt. II

762K views 7K replies 673 participants last post by  moggi1964 
#1 ·
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 /forum/post/16813900

That is my current set up. With Xbox using RGB/expanded, I have to switch the Kuro to use RGB (16-235) to get the correct black levels. Should this not be the case?

That shouldn't be the case, but... Is the Xbox the only issue with this setup this way? Is it with games or do you have HD-DVD too? If everything else works accept Xbox, try the setting it first to RGB Intermediate. If that's not good, set it to YCbCr 709 too, and leave everything else they way I said earlier.

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150Joker /forum/post/16810675

Have you mounted yours already? My 500M is still sitting in it's styrofoam box since I'm waiting on my swivel mount to be delivered.
Too bad a few vents are blocked off by styrofoam else I'd have started the break in process with the TV still in the box. I did plug it into my comcast HD box today to give it a test run and it looked great! Can't wait to get everything setup.

what kind of swivel stand did you get ? can you PM the model of the stand etc. - where you got it and how much it cost you ?

thanks

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer /forum/post/16814027

That shouldn't be the case, but... Is the Xbox the only issue with this setup this way? Is it with games or do you have HD-DVD too? If everything else works accept Xbox, try the setting it first to RGB Intermediate. If that's not good, set it to YCbCr 709 too, and leave everything else they way I said earlier.

Yeah the Xbox game seems to be the issue ( not usng hd-dvd ). I have not played a game with the PS3 yet to see if it runs into the same issue. I thought the issue with the KRP is it cannot auto pick up RGB 0-255 signals correctly..

#55 ·

Quote:

Have you mounted yours already? My 500M is still sitting in it's styrofoam box since I'm waiting on my swivel mount to be delivered.
Too bad a few vents are blocked off by styrofoam else I'd have started the break in process with the TV still in the box. I did plug it into my comcast HD box today to give it a test run and it looked great! Can't wait to get everything setup.

Hi Joker,

I have mine off the styrofoam (to get at the remote sensor) and on a carpeted floor in the bedroom, leaning back against a chair as the break-in runs. I have my wall mount boxed in the same room, but I won't put it on the wall until after the break-in. I'm using the shipping box to block the light and heat from my bed. It'll go in the adjacent room for an install. I'll also get a contractor to price an additional air duct to the room to compensate for all the heat that baby's putting out.

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 /forum/post/16814078

Yeah the Xbox game seems to be the issue ( not usng hd-dvd ). I have not played a game with the PS3 yet to see if it runs into the same issue. I thought the issue with the KRP is it cannot auto pick up RGB 0-255 signals correctly..

That doesn't makes sense as that would mean that the Xbox Expand (0-255) ouput needs a display set to 16-235. Are you positive the XBox is set to Expanded? In any case, Game video levels are not the most stringently followed standards. If all your XBox games look wrong with the Xbox set at RGB Expanded (0-255) and the KRP set to Auto (RGB 0-255), then set the Xbox to YCrBr709 and it should all work.

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer /forum/post/16814400

That doesn't makes sense as that would mean that the Xbox Expand (0-255) ouput needs a display set to 16-235. Are you positive the XBox is set to Expanded? In any case, Game video levels are not the most stringently followed standards. If all your XBox games look wrong with the Xbox set at RGB Expanded (0-255) and the KRP set to Auto (RGB 0-255), then set the Xbox to YCrBr709 and it should all work.

I know it is definitely set for Expanded. Halo 3 and Left 4 Dead both need the Kuro to be set on RGB 16-235. I'll take a look tomorrow. Hopefully I have overlooked something.

Do you own an Xbox?

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 /forum/post/16814068

what kind of swivel stand did you get ? can you PM the model of the stand etc. - where you got it and how much it cost you ?

thanks

I purchased the Pioneer PDK-1012 swivel stand for $38 off eBay + $25 shipping. The guy was supposed to have shipped it on Monday and it should've been here by now so now I'm hoping it at least gets here by tomorrow.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 /forum/post/16814465

I know it is definitely set for Expanded. Halo 3 and Left 4 Dead both need the Kuro to be set on RGB 16-235. I'll take a look tomorrow. Hopefully I have overlooked something.

Do you own an Xbox?

Yes, but mine is hooked up to another plasma display (Panasonic). Try the Xbox YCrBr setting, that has to work.

#60 ·
Howdy... Long time listener second time caller....

I have two questions about my new KRP-500:

1. I am looking into the KRP-WM02 "Ultra Slim Profile Wall Mount". I'm curious if anyone is using this mount and if so does it allow sufficient air movement for proper cooling. Since it is designed by Pioneer I would "assume" they have researched this and it is a non-issue. Any opinions on this? Also the installation instructions show a safety wire used to prevent the display from falling even if it is pulled off the mount. Has anyone installed this backup safety cable? Where did you get the cable and wall hardware?

2. I want to protect my investment so I talked to a few engineer type people at work and one highly recommended buying an 'automatic voltage regulator & surge protector'. He recommended a specific unit that can handle a maximum output power capacity of 1200W. According to my calculations the KRP-500 has a power requirement of 396W. Is this correct? What are others using to protect their new toy? Thanks!

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150Joker /forum/post/16814628

I purchased the Pioneer PDK-1012 swivel stand for $38 off eBay + $25 shipping. The guy was supposed to have shipped it on Monday and it should've been here by now so now I'm hoping it at least gets here by tomorrow.

thats a great price - and this stand would fit and its able to handle the 500M ? i have the fixed stand for this TV - and its a nice stand - very sturdy and long arms in the back that mount to the TV - i seen some swivel stands but they didnt look sturdy enough - post back when you get it attached and how it works out -

#63 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamer36 /forum/post/16815289

I currently have this mount: http://www.premiermounts.com/product.asp?PartID=1156

Will this mount work with the 600M? Thanks.

i would contact premier directly and verify. there are several mounts out there that claim to hold up to 60"+ panels but do not fit the 60" Pioneer panels.

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantowitty /forum/post/16814940

1. I am looking into the KRP-WM02 "Ultra Slim Profile Wall Mount". I'm curious if anyone is using this mount and if so does it allow sufficient air movement for proper cooling.

That mount is fine. Pioneer's cautions regarding ventilation are about where you mount not about using their mount. If you mount near a heat source or in an enclosed niche you might have problems.

Quote:
2. I want to protect my investment so I talked to a few engineer type people at work and one highly recommended buying an 'automatic voltage regulator & surge protector'. ..What are others using to protect their new toy? Thanks!

Mine is connected to my UPS. I don't believe in $200+ surge protectors. Even the really clever ones.

#66 ·

Quote:

i was thinking the exact same thing....i want to leave it in the box and run the break in process from there because the wifey would not allow me have a TV just running without be able to fully use it. so cant you run the break in process with the unit still in the styrofoam???

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantowitty /forum/post/16814940

Howdy... Long time listener second time caller....

I have two questions about my new KRP-500:

1. I am looking into the KRP-WM02 "Ultra Slim Profile Wall Mount". I'm curious if anyone is using this mount and if so does it allow sufficient air movement for proper cooling. Since it is designed by Pioneer I would "assume" they have researched this and it is a non-issue. Any opinions on this? Also the installation instructions show a safety wire used to prevent the display from falling even if it is pulled off the mount. Has anyone installed this backup safety cable? Where did you get the cable and wall hardware?

I own this mount and there should be no issues as long as (like bodosom said) it is not near a heating source. I did not install the safety wire, rather I installed the mount into 3 studs. Lowes does carry all the tools (wire, clips, screws) you need to install the safety wire if you wish to do so.

The mounts screw holes ARE NOT 16 inches away (actually ~11 inches) so you may need to get creative when installing this mount. I ended up screwing holes into the mount to make it work.

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc123puck /forum/post/16815821

yo d-nice, when is the next time your going to be in south Florida for a calibration?

I was wondering when he would be able to come to western NC for a calibration. He seems hard to get ahold of, I've sent him a couple of PM's with no response. I wonder if he has a website. I remember that's how I got in contact with Chad many years ago for a calibration.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd /forum/post/16816864

Did someone kill the m series settings thread? I dont see it anywhere.

It was murdered

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn /forum/post/16815675

i was thinking the exact same thing....i want to leave it in the box and run the break in process from there because the wifey would not allow me have a TV just running without be able to fully use it. so cant you run the break in process with the unit still in the styrofoam???

I took mine out of the box and placed it against a wall in an extra room. Plugged in a DVD player and ran the breakin for 6 days. No problems. You don't have to wait for it to be mounted - leave the upper right and left foam on the top and lean that edge against the wall.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Ham /forum/post/16817130

yeah i was looking for it since I just got my 600m.

The Settings thread was deleted because the mods felt it had a disproportionate quantity of unpleasant venting regarding a commercial product. The leakage of that venting into the Owner's thread is why it was locked.

Why were you looking for it?

#76 ·
i finally received my 500m today but like my fellow posters i am waiting for my stand to arrive. i did hook it up to my ps3 to check for dead pixels and i just couldn't help my self. i threw in cars on blu ray and wow! amazingly beautiful. my Pioneer PDK-1013 stand should be here Wednesday but i dont think i can wait the long i think i may have to use the Styrofoam and tv against the wall trick