Any plasma video gamers out there? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2009, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For reasons I don't want to get into... We may be looking for a new TV.
Right now I have a Sony 52W4100 LCD.
I'm up in the air, as far as LCD or plasma. So I've been checking out a few plasmas and the one that's caught my eye is the Panny 54" S1.
I decided to get a 'head start', if I end up going this way, and so I downloaded the manual.
And what does it say on page 7 under 'Notes':
Quote:

Do not display a still image for a long time
...not covered by warranty.
Typical still images -Video game

So now I'm worried. I mean, I keep hearing that IR is a thing of the past, today's plasmas are much better, etc. But I don't recall reading a warning like that in any one of my LCDs owner's manual.
So what's the real deal?

My gallery

XBL: A CLAN OF ONE
PSN: A_CLAN_OF_ONE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009, 07:26 AM

if you do some searching around the forums, you'll find that not only do plasmas usually introduce the lowest levels of lag out of LCD DLP, also because the plasma is phosphor based it runs the potential of IR or even Burn in, CRT's also carry the same risk. If you weren't worried about your CRT burning in, i wouldnt worry about your plasma. Plasma has made leaps and bounds concerning the IR issue, and as long as you treat your plasma nicely it will return the favor. I would suggest (dont have to) that you give a standard 150 hour break in period using either the break in images (search for em) or making sure you keep the black bar content to a minimum.

game all you want when you get it, just dont pause it for a day. people always freak out about gaming because in games like Halo and such there is a HUD, and that tends to be in the same portion of the screen always. but what people forget is that unless you sit in on spot, not being on pause, that HUD is on and off between cut scenes, between matches (assuming online play) pee breaks. Even in games like guitar hero where the little box is on the right, your constantly goign to the menu between songs rendering the HUD myth foiled.

Get a plasma, you wont regret it, LCD's are good for like digital picture frames where stuff isnt moving, they really excel there.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:30 AM

I'm a gamer. Just bought my first plasma last week, and don't plan on actually using the TV as a TV until Sunday at 12pm. Still doing the 120-hour break-in. Although yesterday, I recieved my new laptop (which will be my HTPC for my Panny 50S1) and wanted to make sure it would output 1080p. Which it did. Played a couple of 720p TV shows I had for 5 minutes. Then had some 1080p sample clips, ran those just perfectly. And even on the VIVID mode, which is like the worst image apparently, I still thought it looked great! Then I decided I would play a game for 10-20 minutes before going to sleep. Popped in Red Faction: Guirrella, and it was smooth and lag free from what I could tell.

So yeah, don't see a problem out of this Panasonic in the future. Just hate the break-in period.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:31 AM

I just replaced a 4 year old plasma that was used for gaming 80% of the time. And i mean long sessions, sometimes 8 hours straight on the same game. Guess what kind of TV I replaced it with?......plasma. Don't worry, reading about IR and burn in can get you all hyped up and freaked out, you won't have a problem.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I dont really think burn in is really a problem anymore as the tech has matured nicely in this department. You will see some ir, some more than others depending on the brand but your ok for gaming. I game all the time on my 600m and absolutely love it.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:50 AM

Liked: 11
well the chances of burn in no matter how remote its still there,but with care u won't get it.
but as far as IR its still there ,even though its temporary.
here is a review of a the latest samsung PS50B850 plasmahttp://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1237556675,in the review u can see that IR is still an issue,you can also notice the reflections in plasma,notice u can't even seen those deep blacks in areas where the screen reflects.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:55 AM

My roommate has a Hitachi plasma (probably like 3 years old?) and Im suprised how when gaming on it, I cannot detect IR at all. I mean, i thought it was an LCD since there was so little IR after long gaming sessions with huds/maps on screen. I dont know how well hitachi plasmas matched up with some of these other companies but at least for this set, image retention and burn in is never even remotely a problem.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:00 AM

I've had my Pio 5080 since July 07, and have been playing XBox 360 a lot: I haven't noticed even a hint of IR. I think Pioneer has done the best job attenuating this concern and the Kuros are leaps/bounds better than most other plasmas in my mind. I was pretty careful during a 60-80 hour break in period (used D-Nice's break-in DVD with D-Nice settings and did not play XBox at all during this period), and it's worked out great. I play equal game time to the amount of time I watch DVDs or HD cable, so I think it's a pretty fair comparison.

The only games I ever got nervous about were the racing games or combat games, since they have such distinct and bright Tachometers, HUDs, and health meters, but it hasn't been a problem at all. I've even purposely tried to stare at the TV and get up close to the pixels, and there's no IR.

I recommend leaving the "orbiter" function on all the time, as this is the mechanism that Pioneer claims reduces any chance of IR. You won't be able to see physically see anything happening, so there's no consequence in using it!

Good luck with your decision!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for all the responses folks!
Well, hopefully we won't even need a new TV , but if we do the 54" S1 is definitely in the running.

My gallery

Old 07-23-2009, 12:51 PM

Get a Kuro, I have played sports, rpg, and everything else is fine. I pause sometimes and leave an image for a couple minutes. Just make sure you don't overdo it like leave an image paused overnight or if you go somewhere. Once you play on a plasma you will not go back to LCD.

Awaiting the Reference Standard in Blu Ray REGION FREE Player Technology and EW service..............................still waiting. :)
Old 07-23-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrgamer View Post

Get a Kuro, I have played sports, rpg, and everything else is fine. I pause sometimes and leave an image for a couple minultes. Just make sure you don't overdo it like leave an image paused overnight or if you go somewhere. Once you play on a plasma you will not go back to LCD.

+1. I have left the ps3 xmb on the screen inadvertently for extended periods on my 5010 with out any visible ir

Kagolu
Old 07-23-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 113
i game on my 58B560 Samsung plasma and have no issues at all with it. i rarely see IR even when looking for it and when i do it goes away within minutes of watching or playing something else. just make sure to use pixel shift or the orbital feature when gaming to ensure you have no issues. no noticeable lag or phosphor trailing or anything unpleasant either. my last TV was an 1080i CRT and this plays the same as that, just twice the size.

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik SentinelMy last.fm profile
Old 07-23-2009, 01:24 PM

It kind of irks me how people who game a lot are more worried about burn-in than input lag. IR can happen, but it's temporary and in practice isn't even noticable except on single-color screens or coming off a long period of black bars. As has been said, CRTs carry the same risk of burn-in, and unless you're gonna use your display as an airport or arcade monitor you won't get it.

A friend of mine has an LG, notorious for bad IR, and we've done numerous marathon sessions of Resident Eveil 5 (for example) without any lasting problems. I'll deal with some temporary IR if Mario jumps and Guile throws a sonic boom right when I push the button :P

So in short, if a plasma fits your budget and you find gaming on the one you choose to be quick and responsive, go for it.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:50 PM

Also to note, my dad still has his plasma from just about when they made their first significant price drop (which was $4,000) about 3, maybe 4 years ago. He still watches it every day and has no burn-in even now. He mainly watches golf on it too. No idea what the model or brand is, but I want to say at least Samsung/Panasonic.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:01 PM

I have had no problems with burn, ir or lag when gaming. TC-P46G10.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

I have a 5yr old panel that i play my 360 on and i have not had any problems. This is an old panny panel. Plasma is the best bet.

Xbox live- SER 182
Mix Cloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/Ser182/
Old 07-23-2009, 04:43 PM

Liked: 12
I own 3 plasmas, one LG (42PG20), one panasonic (50PZ85) and a pioneer kuro 8g (508). Each is connected to a different console, WII+LG for the living room, 360+PANNY on the bedroom and a PS3+KURO on my home theater room. I never had a problem with burn in after long gaming sessions. Image retention happens a lot in the LG model though, but washes away after some minutes of tv watching, so now I don't even bother to be worried. On the Panasonic and Kuro I have never seen image retention, so burn in is really more of a myth on those units.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I pulled the trigger on a 54" G10.
Should be here Saturday.
Thanks for all the replies. You definitely alleviated my fears.

My gallery

Old 07-23-2009, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It's been almost a month since I played Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots on my 500M, but there is still a "ghost" of the HUD (Old Snake's Life Gauge, the Baseline Map, and the Item window) clearly visible on a blank input.

I don't know if it's considered "burn in" or "image retention," but like I said, it's been almost a month since I touched the game.

No big deal, really, as it's only visible on a blank input.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I'll be playing the game again, because I'm afraid of "burning" deeper into the "ghost" that's already there.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1 View Post

It's been almost a month since I played Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots on my 500M, but there is still a "ghost" of the HUD (Old Snake's Life Gauge, the Baseline Map, and the Item window) clearly visible on a blank input.

I don't know if it's considered "burn in" or "image retention," but like I said, it's been almost a month since I touched the game.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I'll be playing the game again, because I'm afraid of "burning" deeper into the "ghost" that's already there.

how many hours did you play and what it a brand new set?
Old 07-24-2009, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

For the first 300/350 or so hours on my Panny S1, I was very cautious. switched up games, played ALOT of tomb raider(HUD appears for a few seconds to alert the player then goes away). Avoided static images.

Now, I just play/watch whatever I want.

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
Old 07-24-2009, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

I just bought a 63B550 Samsung plasma. This display gets used ALOT. Im up late and the rest of the family have it going all day. We are huge gamers and play PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360. I did not break in this TV because I thinks its a bunch of BS, but to each his own. It been on with the factory settings since day one doing everything its made to do. The picture is outstanding and we have yet to have even the smallest bit of IR. I think the word common sence should be used when talking about IR. Leave a fixed picture on for days and most any set could have IR ,otherwise just use the set as you normally would and if you feel better breaking it in then by all means.......

Jeff
Old 07-24-2009, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengilly View Post

I just bought a 63B550 Samsung plasma. This display gets used ALOT. Im up late and the rest of the family have it going all day. We are huge gamers and play PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360. I did not break in this TV because I thinks its a bunch of BS, but to each his own. It been on with the factory settings since day one doing everything its made to do. The picture is outstanding and we have yet to have even the smallest bit of IR. I think the word common sence should be used when talking about IR. Leave a fixed picture on for days and most any set could have IR ,otherwise just use the set as you normally would and if you feel better breaking it in then by all means.......

Jeff

The point of a break-in for a lot of people is to speed up and get over with the time when the phosphors age faster.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I have owned a samsung 400 series 50" plasma since last December. I went through the break in period (150-200hrs) with little gaming on it. There was some IR during the break in period after 2-3 hrs of gaming only on certain games, which went away quickly. But now...I dont even think about it. I dont get any IR at all. I dont know how many hours I have logged on the set, I'm thinking A LT. This is our main set and it gets a lot of use. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Like almost every plasma owner will tell you. Treat it well, and it will return the favour. JoeB.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:28 AM

Been using a PS3 (and occasionally the 360) on a Pio 5070HD since Nov 06. No burn-in or image retention for me. That includes MGS4 and about 110 hours of Oblivion.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by listy View Post

Been using a PS3 (and occasionally the 360) on a Pio 5070HD since Nov 06. No burn-in or image retention for me. That includes MGS4 and about 110 hours of Oblivion.

Oblivion has 3 solid bars on the screen most of the game, doesn't it?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtytwoinch View Post

How many hours did you play and was it a brand new set?

I probably played for, like, 2-3 hours a night for a month or so, I'm guessing. The set was about two months old.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtytwoinch View Post

Oblivion has 3 solid bars on the screen most of the game, doesn't it?

I put about 400 hours of Oblivion on my Panasonic 42px75, and not one sign of burn-in from it. I now have a Panasonic 54g10 and it is even more IR resistant, almost to the point that it scares me how little IR this plasma gets. I have no fears about gaming on this g10 and it is only a week old.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1 View Post

I noticed the same thing on my V10 after playing a lot of Rock Band 2. With no input on the TV, no light in the room and standing within a couple feet of the screen, I could make out faint ghosting of some of the RB2 graphics. Concerned me at first until I realized that I could get rid of it with some full-screen content, or even better, using the break in slides.

If you're particularly worried about that ghosting, just run the break in images for a little while after gaming and it should eliminate any of that ghosting you're seeing.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:24 PM

I play my 360 on a Panasonic 50pz85u Plasma - no problems.
Looks Incredible.