The Official Plasma Input Lag Thread. - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 08-06-2011, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went with the ST30 and I'm very satisfied with my PS3 gaming experience. So far, I've tried COD-Black Ops, Resident Evil 5, Wipeout, Rock Band, Portal 2, Stardust HD, Duke Nukem Forever, Gran Turismo 5, Motor Runner and Metal Gear Solid 4. While not very scientific, from a simple gamer's perspective I have not been able to ascertain any noticeable input lag at all. I do not have all of the tools used by others in this thread to track numbers. But many others on this site as well as other sites have provided those numbers, so I wouldn't expect my results to vary much.

I haven't experienced any gaming on any of the d-series so I can't provide input there.

On a side-note: I wasn't too interested in the 3D gaming experience, but I have come around. Black Ops is amazing in 3D, as is Super Stardust. I actually found myself preferring MGS4 using the 2D-3D conversion over 2D, which surprised me. On Super Stardust, I changed back over to 2D and quickly decided that this would be a 3D only experience for me. My first modern 3D gaming experience occurred several months ago at a Best Buy with one of the NBA games. I was not impressed and wasn't expecting to be "wowed" this time around either. I was wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 AM

Liked: 11
Ran tests last night using my Mac connected through my AVR and to the TV through HDMI. I wanted to capture the total amount of lag that I would experience when gaming. Pretty satisfied with the results.

TV - Panasonic TH-50PZ80U
AVR - Onkyo HTS-6100 (set to pass through)
TV Viewing Mode - Cinema with all other enhancements off
Source - MacBook Pro

Unless the Mac has some kind of software to reduce the lag of the TV, it appears to have minimal lag.

Thoughts?
LL

PS3 Gamer Tag: WastedSauce
360 Gamer Tag: Thrillhelm
Old 10-10-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

The ST30 IS CRAP. There's a reason it sells so cheap

lol @ ignorance
Old 10-11-2011, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwilhelmed View Post

Ran tests last night using my Mac connected through my AVR and to the TV through HDMI. I wanted to capture the total amount of lag that I would experience when gaming. Pretty satisfied with the results.

TV - Panasonic TH-50PZ80U
AVR - Onkyo HTS-6100 (set to pass through)
TV Viewing Mode - Cinema with all other enhancements off
Source - MacBook Pro

Unless the Mac has some kind of software to reduce the lag of the TV, it appears to have minimal lag.

Thoughts?

IIRC, there was a user last year testing one of the 2010 Panny's against a Mac--also showing identical values. My first guesses would be that Apple's cloning implementation is sub-optimal, or the panels they use tend to have as much lag as Panny's TV's.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:26 AM

Sigh. I thought one point of buying plasmas was that you don't get gaming lag. Funny everythign people say is an advantage to a tv type ends up being overstated apparently.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:47 AM

for what it's worth my results with the st30 using 240fps video were a very consistent 15-17 ms.
edit: took more videos to test further. occasionally 1.5 frames behind. never a full 2 though.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:04 AM

I have been playing Black Ops for three months now on my new Panasonic TC-P65GT30, and these are my personal thoughts.

While the input lag is below 30 fps on this TV, the lag does seem to affect my gaming.

I know that there are many different reasons for poor results when gaming, and I have read post stating that only the best gamers could ever be affected by such minor input lag.

I am 42 yrs old, and have been playing FPS since DOOM, I only recently switch to console gaming, and have always been an average player.

I played Black Ops up to 15th prestige, on my old Hitachi 57SWX20B, which when tested showed zero input lag, before switching to the new TV.

My lifetime K/D ratio was 1.79, and weekly my K/D ratio was usually between 1.4 to 1.9.

Since switching to the new TV my Lifetime ratio has dropped to 1.65, and I rarely do better than 1.4 weekly.

I do not play with a high K/D ratio in mind (I play far more objective based games) but when you start to feel like something's wrong you start to pay more attention.

I'm open to the idea that something other than the input lag is the cause, like a game update or a change to my internet connection, but the odd feeling of wrongness while playing is hard to ignore.

I am not posting this to complain (I could not go back to the picture quality of my old TV) but I now believe even a small amount of input lag does affect me, perhaps more than a great player simply because I lack the skill to adjust.

What surprises me most is that in a competitive market place like HD TVs, none of the manufacturers have made a TV with me the gamer in mind.

I would have gladly paid a premium to have zero input lag.

With the huge numbers of gamers lining up to purchase new game releases like COD and HALO you would think one manufacturer would recognize the potential to set themselves apart from the pack. Just my two cents.

P.S. I still love my new TV, I just wish there where an update or mod that could remedy this issue.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:05 PM

Quick question. I have the ST30, do I need to play in game mode or can I use custom and put all the motion enhancements off. Has anyone compared this to see if input lag suffers when it is out of game mode. I cannot tell if it is just mental, but it feels just a tad different in FPS games. Thanks Pete
Old 11-07-2011, 03:29 PM

Can anyone tell me about the game mode on 55st30? I want to be able to use the Custom video settings but I also want the lowest input lag. Does playing on Custom increase input lag when compared to Game if I turn off all video processing items? Thanks
Old 11-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by petes67bird View Post

Can anyone tell me about the game mode on 55st30? I want to be able to use the Custom video settings but I also want the lowest input lag. Does playing on Custom increase input lag when compared to Game if I turn off all video processing items? Thanks

Historically, Game mode has had no impact on performance either positively or negatively. However, historically it has been a mode that has had a serious amount of blue push that cannot be compensated for in the user menu.
Game mode on my V10 is the least accurate picture setting after Dynamic (Vivid). It is so far into the blue that it has to be seen to be believed.

I haven't heard about this years models but I suspect that not much has changed.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:49 PM

Thank you, so in other words, the game mode will not decrease input latency. I will have the same gaming experience with or without it. Right now I am on Custom settings with all motion off as well as Noise Reductions off. The only thing I want is the picture level and the ability to put the panel on mid.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudsmith View Post

I have been playing Black Ops for three months now on my new Panasonic TC-P65GT30, and these are my personal thoughts.

While the input lag is below 30 fps on this TV, the lag does seem to affect my gaming.

I played Black Ops up to 15th prestige, on my old Hitachi 57SWX20B, which when tested showed zero input lag, before switching to the new TV.

My lifetime K/D ratio was 1.79, and weekly my K/D ratio was usually between 1.4 to 1.9.

Since switching to the new TV my Lifetime ratio has dropped to 1.65, and I rarely do better than 1.4 weekly.

I switched from a Sony CRT (34XBR800) to a Samsung A650 LCD. The lag over component was horrible so I switched to VGA.

I could no longer notice the lag over VGA (I think that TV tests at around 30ms), however I was less lethal in Halo 3 using the LCD. I think over time I adjusted though - keep in mind that with every console shooter, more and more of the weaker players drop out as time goes by. That could be part of it, plus change in screen size is hard to adjust to.

Does component inherently have more lag than HDMI or VGA?
Old 11-28-2011, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I currently have a 2006 Panasonic TH-42PH9UK professional plasma. I have no idea what the response time and input lag are. If there are no deal breaker issues with the 2012 plasmas I hope to upgrade to a 50". I'm also considering purchasing a 23"-24" gaming monitor for online FPS. I'm trying to find out if a gaming monitor has a lower response time and input lag than the plasmas, enough that my gaming would improve. I like playing on a larger screen, but would be willing to give it up, for online gaming at least, if the monitor would be an improvement.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 40
What's the deal with the LG PT350? I've been hearing people say the Input lag is horrible, then there are people saying it's great.
Which is it exactly? I know somebody did their own measurements on this forum which turned out pretty high actually....But it seems to be a mixed bag with everybody else.

Then there's The Panasonic ST30 which ranged in the 16ms-30ms? Also, I've noticed with my LG LK450 that the input lag isn't good 'at all'
(like everybody has mentioned on this site) for HD gaming like on the PS3 that is. Somebody was saying it's at 40ms....Yet oddly enough it works miles better for the Wii...
It worked just 'as good' as in identicle to my 2 year old LG LH30 which is regarded one of the best LCD's to game on.....It's pretty fantastic actually, but my CRT SDTB still beats it out.

So what's the deal here? Maybe there's less video processing goes on hence the less lag considering the Wii isn't HD, and instead ED? That's the only logical explination i can reallly figure out.
Less Processing equals less lag, and in the Wii's case it dropped lower considerably, where as i find PS3 games almost next to unplayable...

I mean they are playable I guess, but hampered with a nice noticable amount of lag adding more weight to your character. I did tests between Mega man 9(one example)
for the Wii and PS3 and the difference was practically night and day. So if you're just a Wii gamer this gen, i'd highly recommed the LK450, but if you're into the PS3 and XBOX 360 I'd stay far away.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

what's the input lag for the Panasonic 42" 720p X3 this year?
The 42" PT350 LG 720p plasma i picked up has some pretty wicked bad input lag....Not recommended at all for gamers, for movies however it's fantastic for the price.

Idealy, i'd go for the Panasonic ST30....but it's kind of out of my price range and 'want' to go 42" So I'm looking at either the X3....and 'maybe' the S30, even though that's even pushing it.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

what's the input lag for the Panasonic 42" 720p X3 this year?
The 42" PT350 LG 720p plasma i picked up has some pretty wicked bad input lag....Not recommended at all for gamers, for movies however it's fantastic for the price.

Idealy, i'd go for the Panasonic ST30....but it's kind of out of my price range and 'want' to go 42" So I'm looking at either the X3....and 'maybe' the S30, even though that's even pushing it.

One of the European review sites measured the 42C3 at 16ms. There could be territorial or model differences, but it seems a fair bet the X3 will also be 16-32ms like most of Panasonic's other models.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

One of the European review sites measured the 42C3 at 16ms. There could be territorial or model differences, but it seems a fair bet the X3 will also be 16-32ms like most of Panasonic's other models.

I guess it's just a matter of bringing it home and testing it out. I honestly don't want to fork over $799 for the S30 or especially $899 for the ST30 just to get that 15-30ms input lag
if the X3 already delivers that, considering it would just be a temporary TV replacement since my CRT broke down, until i get a much better and larger set in around 8 months.

Yikes, i've already been through a 720p Samsung D450 plasma which had dissapointing input lag results, then there's the LG 1080p LK450 LCD with an amazing bright and super
clean picture with much better input lag results(with NONE HD content like the Wii) which i still have, and as of late an LG 42" 720p Plasma which boasts
crappier input lag and grey side bars for 4:3 content to match. lol

The X3 however has black side bars by the sounds of it, superior black levels which is guaranteed compared to my LG plasma and hopefully 15-30ms of lag.
I can't seem to find any professional input lag testing 'for' the X3 online, just the S30 and St30.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This is a great thread. Is there a thread that lists the LCD TVs and their input lag times? The main input lag thread is huge and I can't seem to find a list of TVs.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Yikes, i've already been through a 720p Samsung D450 plasma which had dissapointing input lag results, then there's the LG 1080p LK450 LCD with an amazing bright and super
clean picture with much better input lag results(with NONE HD content like the Wii) which i still have, and as of late an LG 42" 720p Plasma which boasts
crappier input lag and grey side bars for 4:3 content to match. lol

? ? ? ?

Maybe it isn't lag that is the problem.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX2011 View Post

? ? ? ?

Maybe it isn't lag that is the problem.

Thanks bud.lol That was rich.
I'm not sure that you even realise it, but buying an HDTV for gaming is a lot trickier(inserts captin obvious: INPUT LAG)
than buying a TV just for movies. If i were just into film, i'd just buy a great(ST30 for ex) 50" 1080p Panasonic plasma and that's that.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:21 PM

Can anyone tell/test the input lag of Panasonic VT30 and/or GT30 with all processing effects turned off except for Motion Smoother at Weak and Strong?

The reason why I am asking is that both of these plasmas deliver the full 1080 lines of motion when these settings are turned on according to Cnet ; if not turned ON it is at 800 lines of motion resolution.

I really hate blur(even a little bit) but I also really hate input lag for gaming, so I need this info to decide whether I should buy these TV's or wait another year.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:28 PM

Im buying a tv for gaming only. I found this Panasonic TX-P42C3 wich has only 16ms of input lag! My concern is that xbox360 games are 1080p fullHD and this tv is only 720p HD(not even "trueHD", only 1024 x 768) When the TV processes the picture from xbox to screen, does it have to somehow scale the image size so it would INCREASE the input lag, cause thats what I really dont want to happen?! I would really appreciate if someone who knows something about this could answer.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcps-sulemanma View Post

Can anyone tell/test the input lag of Panasonic VT30 and/or GT30 with all processing effects turned off except for Motion Smoother at Weak and Strong?

The reason why I am asking is that both of these plasmas deliver the full 1080 lines of motion when these settings are turned on according to Cnet ; if not turned ON it is at 800 lines of motion resolution.

I really hate blur(even a little bit) but I also really hate input lag for gaming, so I need this info to decide whether I should buy these TV's or wait another year.

Phosphor trails and the dithering/posterization effect on motion are MUCH bigger issues and will bug you far more than such a negligible numerical difference--assuming you could even pick out the difference in the first place. The former are unaffected by interpolation features as far as I know, so what you see is what you get.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:02 AM

How is the Pana S30 for input lag?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:31 AM

Finally I found a thread about Panasonic's lagging. I see that this thread is only about video lagging, but what about audio lagging? I made couple of tests with a Panasonic and with an LG TV and in both cases the audio was delayed. The test I used:

I connected a speaker directly to the Blu-ray player and connected the TV with an analog audio cable to the player, then connected a speaker to the TV also with an analog cable, and when I listened to both speakers I could hear the first speaker's (directly from the player) echo in the second speaker, so the TV delayed the audio. I also tried to connect the TV to the player via HDMI and it delayed the audio too. You could think that if the TV delays the video and the audio too, then they should be in sync but it wasn't the case. I can't get the audio and video synced because the TV delays the audio too much.

If you have time please try this test out to see if your TV delays the audio too.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:43 AM

Has anyone compared the Panasonic st30 to the gt30 in regards to input lag. I searched here and a few other sites. Couldn't find it here but on a few other web sites they were saying that the st30 was 16ms and that the gt30 was double that. Is there any truth to that?

Ive been offered the upgrade to the gt30 but if it means higher input lag I think I'll pass
Old 01-07-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addict gamer View Post

Has anyone compared the Panasonic st30 to the gt30 in regards to input lag. I searched here and a few other sites. Couldn't find it here but on a few other web sites they were saying that the st30 was 16ms and that the gt30 was double that. Is there any truth to that?

Ive been offered the upgrade to the gt30 but if it means higher input lag I think I'll pass

Ok I have a opportunity to bring a gt30 home and have the st at the same time. Is there a easy way measure the difference between the two?
I dont have a crt monitor handy.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok I have a opportunity to bring a gt30 home and have the st at the same time. Is there a easy way measure the difference between the two?
I dont have a crt monitor handy.

Do you have a camera with manual shutter speed settings and an HDMI splitter with two outputs?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit View Post

Do you have a camera with manual shutter speed settings and an HDMI splitter with two outputs?

Thanks for you reply, I have a nikon d80 so I should be able to get a good picture. No hdmi splitter but I should be able to get one easy enough. What is that timer you guys are using. I have a iMac that i use as my main computer close to the t.v and my pc laptop is from 4 years ago so it has no hdmi or anything
Old 01-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for you reply, I have a nikon d80 so I should be able to get a good picture. No hdmi splitter but I should be able to get one easy enough. What is that timer you guys are using. I have a iMac that i use as my main computer close to the t.v and my pc laptop is from 4 years ago so it has no hdmi or anything

I was going to suggest Refresh rate multitool, but since its a pc app, it won't be much use. And without HDMI, its a complete non-starter.

Tags
Plasma Hdtv , Displays