Panasonic 11G/12G/13G black levels have seemingly doubled overnight? - Page 258 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 303Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7711 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
serialmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmalei View Post

Bwahahaha. Exposure doesn't matter? What a joke.
Please stop that BS and exaggeration.

Here is thebigdaddye's second photo corrected (in Adobe Lightroom) for exposure from 1 sec to match as it were at 1/8 sec in the first photo.



Here is thebigdaddye's TV as of 4-3-2010:






And here is thebigdaddye's TV as of year ago 3-28-2009:





Even if there had been any black level raise - it is so minor that the camera didn't capture it.







Your lol troll funny. 1 post to join in on the conversation. 1 post to do some wiuzardy correction of an original photo. If your so dam scientific you would know your photo doesnt mean **** either.

Really 1 post. Ill just call you a panny rep and call it a day.
serialmike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7712 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drfreeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedcaum View Post

How DARE you cast aspersions on my very real anguish, agony, turmoil, sense of betrayal, and degradation by the evil overlords at panasonic?

How DARE you, sir?

They have used and abused each and every consumer out there for the last time, the LAST TIME I say! No longer will we sit idly by, watching our televisions and enjoying the content presented thereon, duped by malicious and nefarious claims of excellent picture quality dreamed up by some marketing department somewhere. Even though we already knew that they were full of malarkey in the first place!

NAY!

We will huddle in our dark rooms, cameras, monitors, and meters in hand, adroitly and astutely verifying every nebulous and non-specific claim made by EVERY manufacturer of EVERY television, after being unceremoniously DUPED by this behemoth of malicious corporate disregard for customer confidence. They have taken our very INNOCENCE, I tell you! The days of watching what is ON the television are OVER!

And when we think that maybe we might have seen some change in quality or even a minute and otherwise undetectable divergence from what we think our perception might have been of an image presented on a theretofore unfamiliar to us television monitor of any description from here on out, whether it be hours, days, weeks, months, years, or any combination or permutation thereof later, and whether we have any actual memory or verifiable proof that there is an actual difference, WE WILL NOT BE SILENT!

We shall make our voices heard, to every lowly customer service agent be they staged in Detroit or New Delhi, whether they could conceivably address our plight or not. We shall scream from the telephones on the 800 numbers our outrage, our incensitude, our ANGER, for our misuse and abuse - or even the assumed abuse of our brothers and sisters that might or could conceviably be so affected at some time eventually even if we personally have not suffered such - at the hands of their masters, and we shall demand calls back from their supervisors!

We shall call for FIRMWARES! Or perhaps EXTENDED WARRANTIES to cover potential vagaries of time ad infinitum! We insist upon TECH VISITS for every seemingly specious suggestion of less than indicated quality we may care to make! HARDWARE FIXES! COUPONS! REBATES! OH, HEARTLESS AND SOULLESS CORPORATIONS, HEAR OUR CRIES!

We shall make our sentences read on every forum and review site in every nook of every cranny of the world wide intertubes, and we shall not rest until every thread on every page of every website reeks with the foul odor that our festering outrage can produce, whether the discussions thereon have anything to do with our issue or not! THEY CANNOT SQUELCH OUR DISCONTENT, FOR NOW AND EVERMORE IS ITS WINTER!

SOMEONE MUST PAY!


(But probably not for another panasonic. At least until we get some opinions on the 2010 models. Unless the price is really good. Or maybe if we have to return the Samsung for buzzing or the LG for IR. Then maybe. But we don't have to like it. AND WE SHAN'T)



I wish my brain wasn't so dull. I can't remember if you are paraphrasing Richard III or Winston Churchill. Either way, the speech would be perfect. Maybe if Winston and Adolph got together, they could produce a combined effort against the menace from the East.

David Freeman
drfreeman60 is offline  
post #7713 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Senior Member
 
barmalei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

Your lol troll funny. 1 post to join in on the conversation. 1 post to do some wiuzardy correction of an original photo. If your so dam scientific you would know your photo doesnt mean **** either.

Really 1 post. Ill just call you a panny rep and call it a day.

Me a Panasonic rep? Bwahaha. Something's wrong inside your head, mate. I don't own a single thing made by Panasonic. My TV is a Sony and is few years old - nothing special so I might be shopping for a new one soon - that's why I was browsing CNET - checking out the new 3D stuff. There I read about Panasonic black level issues, googled a bit and opened this forum/thread to see what's it about. First thing I saw were those two pictures, checked their EXIF and the exposure is way off.

I did wizardry? LOL. Took me 5 seconds to step down the picture so the exposure and ISO of the two match as if they were taken with the same camera settings. I am not a pro photographer - just a photo enthusiast with a Pentax camera and Lightroom. But it doesn't take a pro photographer to know what exposure is ...

So, get a life .... :rofl:


barmalei is offline  
post #7714 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
greenland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,025
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Reality Check;

There is no need for people to keep posting pictures, and engaging in arguments about what they depict. Your sets are not special. Of course the MLL has risen on them over time. That is what they have been programmed to do. Panasonic has admitted that already, and said that it was a mistake on their part.

Sites like Cnet, are monitoring the sets as they age, and confirming that the black levels are degrading, within the first 2,000 hours or less.

Stop with the pictures nonsense. There is no need to gild the lily with your own special video evidence. The case has already been proven, and Panasonic has admitted that it is happening to all the units. So, for cripes sake, keep those fight inducing pictures to yourselves.

The thread is about ephemeral black levels, and not about how accurate someone's pictures are. Stop it now.
greenland is offline  
post #7715 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member
 
Gov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NW Burbs of Chgo, IL
Posts: 3,493
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I wish CNET would test a 58 or 65 as well

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 (L/C/R), Pioneer SP-BS 22 (Surr) and Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Gov is offline  
post #7716 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
XStanleyX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I wish CNET would test a 58 or 65 as well

Please, we don't need any more bad news.
XStanleyX is offline  
post #7717 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Member
 
G20Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Reality Check;

There is no need for people to keep posting pictures, and engaging in arguments about what they depict. Your sets are not special. Of course the MLL has risen on them over time. That is what they have been programmed to do. Panasonic has admitted that already, and said that it was a mistake on their part.

Sites like Cnet, are monitoring the sets as they age, and confirming that the black levels are degrading, within the first 2,000 hours or less.

Stop with the pictures nonsense. There is no need to gild the lily with your own special video evidence. The case has already been proven, and Panasonic has admitted that it is happening to all the units. So, for cripes sake, keep those fight inducing pictures to yourselves.

The thread is about ephemeral black levels, and not about how accurate someone's pictures are. Stop it now.

Couldnt have said it better myself. Just like the G10 in our store with over 3,000 hours with black blacks...still looks amazing but if i posted pics everyone would call me a liar and i was making it all up. I bought a Panasonic knowing this and i could care less becasue the PQ is still going to be better than half the LCD's/LED's out there even after the rise and for 1299 for the G20, its a great TV. Floating blacks bother me more than the thought of my black levels rising. At least thats uniform unlike these blacks always changing.
G20Fan is offline  
post #7718 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Member
 
jvidia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvidia View Post

...
One question ... The g20 also sufers from the black level problem?

?
jvidia is offline  
post #7719 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Senior Member
 
CHUCKCHILLOUT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Magnolia, Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was wondering if I am using good settings for taking my pictures. I have a Cannon SD1100 IS. There is also a bias lamp behind my TV. Thanks.
LL
LL
LL
LL
CHUCKCHILLOUT is offline  
post #7720 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Member
 
erahk64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvidia View Post

One question ... The g20 also sufers from the black level problem?

D-Nice has measurements of a G20 with black level rise from 0.007 to 0.0095 ftL after 375 hours.
erahk64 is offline  
post #7721 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
fahrenheit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdaddye View Post

i do have a problem with you saying it's not worth the space on here says who YOU? do you own any of these plasmas with this problem? did you purchase a plasma with great black level only to see them turn to nearly grey? if your tv had this problem you would be poed.

My own photos of my own V10 are posted in this very thread and are up for the same scrutiny as everyone else who posts pics here.

I won't rehash what jedcaum has said because he has summed up my thoughts perfectly. What you are submitting is harmful to your own cause and the cause in general. You could have simply stated "My blacks have risen" and it would have been of more benefit here than those pictures.

If we want a wider audience to see what Panasonic are playing at, we need to be able to convey what is happening in an easily digestible manner and without a countless number questionable variables.
Photographs can be helpful in that regard, but when they are simply given an exaggerated bias to convey an idea, they undermine any chance of us as a collective speaking in one voice and in the same language.
fahrenheit is offline  
post #7722 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
fahrenheit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCKCHILLOUT View Post

I was wondering if I am using good settings for taking my pictures. I have a Cannon SD1100 IS. There is also a bias lamp behind my TV. Thanks.

Don't use a bias light, don't use any ambient light if you can avoid it.
You've got no accompanying EXIF data with those shots, its been lost in translation. How are we to trust you haven't been fiddling?

Follow Ortas example on page 1 of this thread. Save his pictures to your desktop, study the EXIF data and do what you have to to replicate the same results.

Orta used those settings because they gave him the best approximation of what he sees with his own eyes in a blackened room. When I began my own documentation I tried various settings and found that his were the best for my own situation. Many others have also used the same settings and their examples are littered throughout this thread. Why reinvent the wheel?
fahrenheit is offline  
post #7723 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Newbie
 
catboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does this problem affect the TH-42PX60U? I tried searching the thread for mention of it but didn't see any confirmation. I know the original post mentions 08 and 09 models but I'm wondering if this problem existed at all before then.
catboat is offline  
post #7724 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Orta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvidia View Post

One question ... The g20 also sufers from the black level problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erahk64 View Post

D-Nice has measurements of a G20 with black level rise from 0.007 to 0.0095 ftL after 375 hours.

Since this seems to be a common question, I've included D-Nice's S2/G20 evaluations in the measurement section of the OP as well as updated "What Model Lines are affected?" in the FAQ section.
Orta is offline  
post #7725 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 04:33 PM
 
silkypimp1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Yorba Linda CA
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdaddye View Post

well if you spent $1,000 on a tv or more like some have and it had a great picture and now it has a great picture except in dark scenes/blacks i think you would be poed as well. the majority purchased these tv's because of the black levels/picture quality and now they are not so black but more grey and that has affected the overall picture quality.

I did spend $1650.00 for a 58s1 and I don't see any difference and I have had it since 12/5/10. It probably has around 700 hours on it.
silkypimp1974 is offline  
post #7726 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Member
 
jvidia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you know if the G10 are still produced/comercialized??

I ask this because I will return my 46G10 and I'd like to know if I will receive a G10 or a G20
jvidia is offline  
post #7727 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Senior Member
 
TheGuyInTheChair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by erahk64 View Post

D-Nice has measurements of a G20 with black level rise from 0.007 to 0.0095 ftL after 375 hours.

well
that's bad but 0.0095 is still insanely black

that's like kuro levels of black
TheGuyInTheChair is offline  
post #7728 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Member
 
erahk64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyInTheChair View Post

well
that's bad but 0.0095 is still insanely black

that's like kuro levels of black

I think 8G Kuro has 0.004 ftL or lower and 9G Kuro has 0.001 ftL or lower
(depends on the model).

Kuro black level is definitely lower than 0.0095 ftL.
erahk64 is offline  
post #7729 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Member
 
MBKCPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader8806 View Post

for good or bad im stuck with panny plasma, i like the pq on samsung and lg plasma sets, but due to input lag and IR, are not usable for me(Gaming).....also like many lcd sets, but once again input lag, and in my case off angle viewing (I dont have a dedicated theater room and often set about 20 degrees off center) eliminate these options

i may consider and lg plasma down the road as a theater room set, but keep my panny for a gaming display

exactly. i've evaluated all options and keep ending up in the same place as you: panasonic.
MBKCPA is offline  
post #7730 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Senior Member
 
TheGuyInTheChair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by erahk64 View Post

I think 8G Kuro has 0.004 ftL or lower and 9G Kuro has 0.001 ftL or lower
(depends on the model).

Kuro black level is definitely lower than 0.0095 ftL.

the human eye can't really see the difference between that though

most meters can't even read below .01
TheGuyInTheChair is offline  
post #7731 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Member
 
erahk64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyInTheChair View Post

the human eye can't really see the difference between that though

most meters can't even read below .01

I have seen 8G and 9G Kuro in the same room.
I could see the difference between these and I know that other people in this forum has said they can see the difference, for example D-Nice.

Minolta LS-100 can read down to 0.001 ftL.
erahk64 is offline  
post #7732 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Yukon Trooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Yukon, Canada
Posts: 931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by erahk64 View Post

I think 8G Kuro has 0.004 ftL or lower and 9G Kuro has 0.001 ftL or lower
(depends on the model).

Kuro black level is definitely lower than 0.0095 ftL.

Actually, I think the 8G's were more around the 0.006-0.008ftL range. Which makes sense because I had a 5010FD before I returned it due to horrible buzzing and my out-of-box 58S1, which are also known to measure around that range, looked virtually identical to the Pioneer in terms of black level.

But I agree, Kuro levels are definitely darker than 0.0095ftL. And I definitely wouldn't call 0.0095ftL "insanely black", although I would call it very good. I'd call my current 0.012ftL on my 58S1 just good.

Yukon Trooper is offline  
post #7733 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyInTheChair View Post

the human eye can't really see the difference between that though

most meters can't even read below .01


The lowly i1 LT specification is 0.02 cd/m^2 or about 0.006 ftL. In practice it does better. Read the calibration forum.

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #7734 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Member
 
Harywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedcaum View Post

How DARE you cast aspersions on my very real anguish, agony, turmoil, sense of betrayal, and degradation by the evil overlords at panasonic?

How DARE you, sir?

They have used and abused each and every consumer out there for the last time, the LAST TIME I say! No longer will we sit idly by, watching our televisions and enjoying the content presented thereon, duped by malicious and nefarious claims of excellent picture quality dreamed up by some marketing department somewhere. Even though we already knew that they were full of malarkey in the first place!

NAY!

We will huddle in our dark rooms, cameras, monitors, and meters in hand, adroitly and astutely verifying every nebulous and non-specific claim made by EVERY manufacturer of EVERY television, after being unceremoniously DUPED by this behemoth of malicious corporate disregard for customer confidence. They have taken our very INNOCENCE, I tell you! The days of watching what is ON the television are OVER!

And when we think that maybe we might have seen some change in quality or even a minute and otherwise undetectable divergence from what we think our perception might have been of an image presented on a theretofore unfamiliar to us television monitor of any description from here on out, whether it be hours, days, weeks, months, years, or any combination or permutation thereof later, and whether we have any actual memory or verifiable proof that there is an actual difference, WE WILL NOT BE SILENT!

We shall make our voices heard, to every lowly customer service agent be they staged in Detroit or New Delhi, whether they could conceivably address our plight or not. We shall scream from the telephones on the 800 numbers our outrage, our incensitude, our ANGER, for our misuse and abuse - or even the assumed abuse of our brothers and sisters that might or could conceviably be so affected at some time eventually even if we personally have not suffered such - at the hands of their masters, and we shall demand calls back from their supervisors!

We shall call for FIRMWARES! Or perhaps EXTENDED WARRANTIES to cover potential vagaries of time ad infinitum! We insist upon TECH VISITS for every seemingly specious suggestion of less than indicated quality we may care to make! HARDWARE FIXES! COUPONS! REBATES! OH, HEARTLESS AND SOULLESS CORPORATIONS, HEAR OUR CRIES!

We shall make our sentences read on every forum and review site in every nook of every cranny of the world wide intertubes, and we shall not rest until every thread on every page of every website reeks with the foul odor that our festering outrage can produce, whether the discussions thereon have anything to do with our issue or not! THEY CANNOT SQUELCH OUR DISCONTENT, FOR NOW AND EVERMORE IS ITS WINTER!

SOMEONE MUST PAY!


(But probably not for another panasonic. At least until we get some opinions on the 2010 models. Unless the price is really good. Or maybe if we have to return the Samsung for buzzing or the LG for IR. Then maybe. But we don't have to like it. AND WE SHAN'T)


What he said.
Harywood is offline  
post #7735 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Orta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyInTheChair View Post

well
that's bad but 0.0095 is still insanely black

that's like kuro levels of black

Quote:
Originally Posted by erahk64 View Post

I think 8G Kuro has 0.004 ftL or lower and 9G Kuro has 0.001 ftL or lower
(depends on the model).

Kuro black level is definitely lower than 0.0095 ftL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post

Actually, I think the 8G's were more around the 0.006-0.008ftL range. Which makes sense because I had a 5010FD before I returned it due to horrible buzzing and my out-of-box 58S1, which are also known to measure around that range, looked virtually identical to the Pioneer in terms of black level.

But I agree, Kuro levels are definitely darker than 0.0095ftL. And I definitely wouldn't call 0.0095ftL "insanely black", although I would call it very good. I'd call my current 0.012ftL on my 58S1 just good.

Not really sure what you guys are discussing, obviously 0.0095fL is not expected to be a final value. It's just some arbitrary point the panel happened to be at when D got rid of the unit or stopped measuring. He has stated multiple times the 2010's are expected to triple like the earlier model years.
Orta is offline  
post #7736 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Member
 
45rpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey24 View Post

After skimming over this thread, I've heard various claims of when the black level rise takes place. Most conclude that it's at 1000 hours? Did you check your hours as soon as you noticed it? And do many people claim to see no change after 1000 hours?

I have more than 1,300 hrs on my 58S1 and cannot see any obvious difference in the black level.
45rpm is offline  
post #7737 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Clint S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

No offense but exposure doesnt matter at all so long as the image is representing the issue. As someone that has the issue I assure you. It does.

Exposure means everything here. (All other things being equal), the photo with longer exposure will be brighter, brighter overall, and in this case the bright areas will "bleed" a lot more due to camera shake making the photo even brighter. The only way to get an accurate representation of both would be to use identical exposure settings and use a tripod (or set the camera on something and use a remote shutter release).

God Bless,
-Clint
Clint S. is offline  
post #7738 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Clint S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

Im gonna try again tonight....My camera is not high end. But I was tinkering with manual mode. I dont have anything from pre rise to compare that was shot in manual mode.

All I can post is what it is now. I will post if I can get it to show. The problem is that as you can see by all the photos off the set new is the black is as black as the bezel. Those were not just like the kuro i might add fair representation of the set brand new as the screens were lighter than the bezel.

I shall see what I can do.

I shall also try to get something with my 52v5100 sony lcd to show jsut how sad it is


I will set for no flash accurate white balance no shutter speed tricks (i dont even think mine has a shutter speed control) tryin get an "as it is" pic.

If you don't have a remote or timer shutter release, just put a large "black piece of something" over the lens before you press the shutter (careful to not touch the camera), press the shutter release, then quickly pull it up. Then do it again, being careful to never move the camera. That way both images will be (optically) identical.

God Bless,
-Clint
Clint S. is offline  
post #7739 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Member
 
G20Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45rpm View Post

I have more than 1,300 hrs on my 58S1 and cannot see any obvious difference in the black level.

Same with a G10 in our store...perfect blacks...is it possible some are defective and dont change? I am holding out hope!
G20Fan is offline  
post #7740 of 11886 Old 04-03-2010, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Clint S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by G20Fan View Post

Same with a G10 in our store...perfect blacks...is it possible some are defective and dont change? I am holding out hope!

I asked this a few days ago (there's about 1300 hrs on my G15 and it's fine so far), and the answer is an unfortunate "no". It seems like, from what others have said in this thread, that 3000-3200 hours is possibly the "max cut off" time where one should be able to exhale. At least so far. I haven't heard anyone yet say they noticed the BL rise beyond about the ~3100 hr mark.

God Bless,
-Clint
Clint S. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off