Panasonic 11G/12G/13G black levels have seemingly doubled overnight? - Page 355 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #10621 of 11218 Old 08-08-2011, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Maybe someone else "in the know" could anonymously post the procedure. Please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10622 of 11218 Old 08-08-2011, 06:43 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen View Post
Maybe someone else "in the know" could anonymously post the procedure. Please.
The procedure was posted in this thread well over a year ago and IIRC a few people tried it and ruined their TVs, and i think the author (who was not D-Nice) deleted his posts about it to prevent other people from ruining their TVs.

Search this thread for keyword "pot" or "pot adjustment" and read up on it. I have the most affected model (G10) and i decided to not try it based on what i was reading back then (the details are fuzzy).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #10623 of 11218 Old 08-08-2011, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
The procedure was posted in this thread well over a year ago and IIRC a few people tried it and ruined their TVs, and i think the author (who was not D-Nice) deleted his posts about it to prevent other people from ruining their TVs.
No. It wasn't. You're talking about the pot adjustment of vr600. It lowers mll slightly. One person turned it the wrong way and bricked his set.

I repeat; the a-board reset was never disclosed by anyone. That is what resets the tv's back to square 1 - resetting the black levels. It was never posted.
post #10624 of 11218 Old 08-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
From what I can assertain, the people that did the pot adjustment and reported it unsuccesful sometime following, were under 2000 hours and probably hadn't reached their final mll rise value.

There are also a number of people that posted pictures here and were never seen again. I'd like to hear from them but they've probably long since sold up and moved on.
post #10625 of 11218 Old 08-09-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

If it were as easy as "load up the hex editor and change byte 100456 to A1, the fix would of been released already.

My guess is the A-board reset is a "take the back off the TV -- potentially exposing yourself to death -- and with the TV on, fiddle with something on the mainboard. And repeat, don't die. Repeat every 1000 hours."

or a

"Remove the a-board, remove the transformer, and replace with a 2011 transformer from the P25 series"
way too technical kind of a fix.
post #10626 of 11218 Old 08-09-2011, 03:46 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

My guess is the A-board reset is a "take the back off the TV -- potentially exposing yourself to death -- and with the TV on, fiddle with something on the mainboard. And repeat, don't die. Repeat every 1000 hours."

I believe the reset does not involve removing the back of the TV, but rather opening the plastic access hatch to some type of programming port (located above the rear inputs). I think it's a matter of having the right cable and software, using a connected computer to faciliate the reset.

I wish I knew more, and had the ability to restore the black levels of my G15.
post #10627 of 11218 Old 08-09-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthrojohn View Post

I believe the reset does not involve removing the back of the TV, but rather opening the plastic access hatch to some type of programming port (located above the rear inputs). I think it's a matter of having the right cable and software, using a connected computer to faciliate the reset.

I wish I knew more, and had the ability to restore the black levels of my G15.

That's exactly what it is. Cable, laptop, some kind of software... reset. It was done to my tv. I also did the vr600 pot and took comparison photos in a dark room. It did make an improvement, but not substantially. I felt safer with it back to it's normal position. It takes a few days to really notice the difference for some reason. I had it like that for a while, actually. Probably 6 months or more.
post #10628 of 11218 Old 08-09-2011, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I should have posted here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWldLif View Post

Mine jumped at 600hrs.
I can visually notice it.
I guess my babying the thing with low settings
bit me in the azz.
Do you know what the member with 1khrs runs
his settings at?

There is a lot of conflicting info out there.
From where the VT25 starts, .004? to where it ends. .010? Then the VT30 starts at .0052 and
stays the same?

Then the mystery number of rises and when they happen.
Seems there would be some method of use that could impact the amount of rise. I.E., run it hot and then it won't rise as much?
Geez, ever since my rise, I am waiting for the sword of Damocles.

post #10629 of 11218 Old 08-10-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

A 5 minute serial interface procedure by a technician fixes it ?

That's a lot cheaper than Panasonic replacing A-boards like they did for 1000's of users...
post #10630 of 11218 Old 08-12-2011, 11:43 PM

I get depressed every time I'm watch a movie with the lights off. I still love my G10 but the black levels make me want to cry. They were amazing out of the box, I wish they could have stayed that way.

I check back regularly to see if someone has posted a fix, but it's been almost two years and I've lost all hope.

Why Pansonic?....
post #10631 of 11218 Old 08-13-2011, 05:20 PM

...problem is, an authorized panasonic tech wont just just tell people how to do it. They would have to call to find out the procedure anyway, and get instructions, probably, because they never do it enough to remember it off-hand. It definitely involves connecting to a laptop, with a cable... and a reset code. That's it. Black levels back for a few months. Panel lifespan issues... maybe. Satisfaction temporarily? Definitely.
post #10632 of 11218 Old 08-13-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kramer View Post

...problem is, an authorized panasonic tech wont just just tell people how to do it. They would have to call to find out the procedure anyway, and get instructions, probably, because they never do it enough to remember it off-hand. It definitely involves connecting to a laptop, with a cable... and a reset code. That's it. Black levels back for a few months. Panel lifespan issues... maybe. Satisfaction temporarily? Definitely.

If that's true, then, why hasn't the procedure been leaked on the Internet yet? I mean there must be *at least* one who had this procedure done who can post it on a forum board like this.

That is if *indeed* black levels can go back to what they were and it's not just rumours...
post #10633 of 11218 Old 08-13-2011, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
If you've read this thread, you will find it HAS been done, but the risk is high or perhaps very high for the uninformed so the person opted not to post details.

My X1 with lots of hours still look OK, not great, but acceptable so I'm not too upset. However if I was one of those who paid more then $499 for a panel I'd be more unhappy.
post #10634 of 11218 Old 08-14-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

If you've read this thread, you will find it HAS been done, but the risk is high or perhaps very high for the uninformed so the person opted not to post details.

My X1 with lots of hours still look OK, not great, but acceptable so I'm not too upset. However if I was one of those who paid more then $499 for a panel I'd be more unhappy.

There are many ways to post info in a manner that it would not reach the "uninformed" (but only those who are fully aware of the dangers).

My bet is that it was never done, or it had been "quasi-done", and it is not being released because merely it is not a *real* solution (if anything it would make the person who found it look bad)...
post #10635 of 11218 Old 08-14-2011, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
worth the $? My exceptional sony crt is having issues and I decided to do my homework on plasma as my next option.
I have read where panni's are next in line after the pioneer "kuros" for PQ.

Now this thread! Alot of unhappy owners here.

Is there a panasonic plasma that people are happy with? [ that isn't over 2k?] Or is the thinking buy cheap and toss it?

I will keep watching this thread.

thanks

tvaddicted
post #10636 of 11218 Old 08-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvaddicted View Post

worth the $? My exceptional sony crt is having issues and I decided to do my homework on plasma as my next option.
I have read where panni's are next in line after the pioneer "kuros" for PQ.

Now this thread! Alot of unhappy owners here.

Is there a panasonic plasma that people are happy with? [ that isn't over 2k?] Or is the thinking buy cheap and toss it?

I will keep watching this thread.

thanks

After 2 years I am still happy with my G10. The blacks are not what they once were but the picture quality is still great and IMO still better than most LCDs I've seen. Just my 2 cents.

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009
Settings and Calibration Reports
post #10637 of 11218 Old 08-14-2011, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Do you have any issues with the G10 making a "buzzing" sound? I see there is this issue with the G20's

Would you still buy another panasonic?

tvaddicted
post #10638 of 11218 Old 08-15-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteor|war View Post

after 2 years i am still happy with my g10. The blacks are not what they once were but the picture quality is still great and imo still better than most lcds i've seen. Just my 2 cents.

+1

post #10639 of 11218 Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendergender View Post

+1

+1
post #10640 of 11218 Old 08-15-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve185 View Post
My bet is that it was never done, or it had been "quasi-done", and it is not being released because merely it is not a *real* solution (if anything it would make the person who found it look bad)...
Steve... it was done to my tv. I didnt ask the tech how to do the procedure. Again, any panasonic tech knows how to do it. There are people on THIS BOARD who know how or can ask those who know how, how to do it - but WILL NOT DO SO for reasons they will not discuss. Its detrimental to the lifespan of the tv, and potentially risky if you mess up the procedure as in, it could brick the tv, probably. Either way, until someone becomes friends with an "authorized panasonic tech" we will never know how to: reset the a-board - which brings everything back to square-1 - pre-rise.

I could absolutely live with potentially lowering the lifespan of my tv if the black levels came back for a few months, every time I reset it. It's a no-brainer.
post #10641 of 11218 Old 08-15-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Steve... it was done to my tv. I didnt ask the tech how to do the procedure. Again, any panasonic tech knows how to do it. There are people on THIS BOARD who know how or can ask those who know how, how to do it - but WILL NOT DO SO for reasons they will not discuss. Its detrimental to the lifespan of the tv, and potentially risky if you mess up the procedure as in, it could brick the tv, probably. Either way, until someone becomes friends with an "authorized panasonic tech" we will never know how to: reset the a-board - which brings everything back to square-1 - pre-rise.

I could absolutely live with potentially lowering the lifespan of my tv if the black levels came back for a few months, every time I reset it. It's a no-brainer.
My A-Board is already problematic (she often gives me a 10-blink SOS), so I'm gonna replace her anyhow (I've ordered a replacement).

If I am to do a couple of experiments to my (old) board I'm sure she won't care (since she's due to replacement anyhow). And if the A-board is to die -again- I would have another in the waiting to replace her...
Unlike many in here I have *nothing* to lose.

As for your black levels, did they return to where they were in the first days your puchased it? Also how many hours (an approximation) did it last before you'd lose those blacks again?
post #10642 of 11218 Old 08-16-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Isn't the blinking problem an indication that the "pot" might be turned a bit too much ?

(aka one of the solution attempts in this thread was to turn a pot on the motherboard. Do it too much and it blinks so you have to go the other direction a bit.)

Maybe your TV got jostled.

Blacks on replacement A-boards look fantastic for about a month.
post #10643 of 11218 Old 08-16-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99
Isn't the blinking problem an indication that the "pot" might be turned a bit too much ?
vr600 adjusted too much would cause a lack of voltage... But it's only 7 blinks for a power source problem I think. My black levels were great again until the programmed rises began happening again. It lasted months of constant usage. Maybe 3. I had a roommate back then, and the tv was on all day. lol
post #10644 of 11218 Old 08-16-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

(aka one of the solution attempts in this thread was to turn a pot on the motherboard. Do it too much and it blinks so you have to go the other direction a bit.)

Maybe your TV got jostled.

I don't think it's anything I did before it was to give me the blinks.
If anything I opened the TV *after* it gave me the blinks so that to attempt to see what's wrong. My TV can still operate, it's the blacks (which are now a distinct grey) larger problem to me -now- than anything with my A-board (except/if the two are connected of course)...

BTW you tell me that I'd take wonderful blacks now that I'm about to change my A-board?
post #10645 of 11218 Old 08-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

That's exactly what it is. Cable, laptop, some kind of software... reset. It was done to my tv. I also did the vr600 pot and took comparison photos in a dark room. It did make an improvement, but not substantially. I felt safer with it back to it's normal position. It takes a few days to really notice the difference for some reason. I had it like that for a while, actually. Probably 6 months or more.

Yes, and I even have cables for the connector that was discussed. Had a few samples made by one of our suppliers for me. But nothing ever came of getting the actual software from Panasonic, nor any information about protocols, commands, or test patterns where someone like myself could write a free little utility to run just the right command any nothing else (to minimize the "you dummy!" factor). Without software to analyze, no little free utility could be written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

After 2 years I am still happy with my G10. The blacks are not what they once were but the picture quality is still great and IMO still better than most LCDs I've seen. Just my 2 cents.

+1 .. still love the set. still looks great. blacks changed? perhaps. but I keep a small lamp on under the TV when watching even late at night, so it all still looks great to me.

..dane

audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
post #10646 of 11218 Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 AM

After the second time the blacks rose once and for all... Having the tv calibrated so shadow detail is good... It's a big difference. On custom mode, where it's pretty bright, I don't really notice the less than fantastic black levels because of the amount of contrast.
post #10647 of 11218 Old 08-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

..meaning the second time you tried to have your a-board adjusted, it "wouldn't take?"

thanks,
..dane

post #10648 of 11218 Old 08-17-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post

..meaning the second time you tried to have your a-board adjusted, it "wouldn't take?"

thanks,
..dane

I only had my a board reset and replaced once... After my tv rose again, having it calibrated was highly beneficial with the lighter blacks.
post #10649 of 11218 Old 08-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

ahhh, understood. thanks.

post #10650 of 11218 Old 08-17-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post

ahhh, understood. thanks.

My calibration settings are in the picture thread in case anyone with a v10 is interested in post-black level rise settings.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page