Panasonic 11G/12G/13G black levels have seemingly doubled overnight? - Page 376 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #11251 of 11268 Old 09-06-2014, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First post, and it's very much one of desperation. Let's just say I'm looking forward to the opportunity to purchase one of Dane's PMCv1 devices. My TC-P42S1 apparently crossed another black level threshold this evening and it's now terrible. Black doesn't really even exist on this panel anymore (see pic taken earlier this evening, no signal on an HDMI input in a nearly dark room...utterly pathetic). I have to get another 5 or 6 years out of this TV and can't afford to chuck it--which I most certainly would if I could spare the money for a new set. I'll never buy anything from Panasonic again (though if I understand news reports correctly, that may just resolve on its own).

Anyway, thank you Dane for your efforts and hard work on this! I'm sure there will be a lot of happy Panny owners as a result very, very soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140907_00_28_03_Pro.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	250514  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11252 of 11268 Old 09-07-2014, 11:04 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance1320 View Post
First post, and it's very much one of desperation. Let's just say I'm looking forward to the opportunity to purchase one of Dane's PMCv1 devices. My TC-P42S1 apparently crossed another black level threshold this evening and it's now terrible. Black doesn't really even exist on this panel anymore (see pic taken earlier this evening, no signal on an HDMI input in a nearly dark room...utterly pathetic). I have to get another 5 or 6 years out of this TV and can't afford to chuck it--which I most certainly would if I could spare the money for a new set. I'll never buy anything from Panasonic again (though if I understand news reports correctly, that may just resolve on its own).

Anyway, thank you Dane for your efforts and hard work on this! I'm sure there will be a lot of happy Panny owners as a result very, very soon.
I checked hours today on my set...it's closing in on 11,000 and based on when I purchased it, it averages about 6 hours of operation per day.
post #11253 of 11268 Old 09-10-2014, 03:47 PM

Liked: 11
I just resetted my 50G10 using Mironto's method and its like day and night.
I will probably still buy Audiodane PCM's has its a more automatic solution.

Here's the before and after pics taken in my dark basement with no flash on camera.
I should've put an 1080p movie but i was in a rush to reset my panny...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	256522   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	256530  
post #11254 of 11268 Old 09-10-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
That looks so bad, just like mine. If it looks like the ST30 I have I'd be happy. I think those two are spec'd at about .008ftl and this thing is looking like the .028 or so that's been reported, what a shame. Anyway, thanks for the pics. That looks nice!
post #11255 of 11268 Old 09-19-2014, 10:02 AM

AudioDane news

Looks like we're close to get the permanent fix...!

Can't post link but feel free to check Audiodane blog.
whipit likes this.
post #11256 of 11268 Old 09-19-2014, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Sounds like we are getting close to ordering.

Last edited by eaayoung; 09-22-2014 at 05:33 AM.
post #11257 of 11268 Old 09-21-2014, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi. I reset my 50VT20 using Mirontos guide this weekend.

Went down to 0.005 ftl from 3x that high. Thanks for the great help on regaining a new TV!

The only problem is I am now seeing the floating black problem of the VT20 2010 model. When the screen is dark the letterbox bars are reading my new blacks, but when a brighter scene shows the blacks float up to 3x higher again.

I will have to search for a fix to this probl now. On blank output though I have achieved a 3x reduction in MLL from before to after.

Great stuff and thanks for the help Mironto
post #11258 of 11268 Old 09-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crudesinger View Post
Hi. I reset my 50VT20 using Mirontos guide this weekend.

Went down to 0.005 ftl from 3x that high. Thanks for the great help on regaining a new TV!

The only problem is I am now seeing the floating black problem of the VT20 2010 model. When the screen is dark the letterbox bars are reading my new blacks, but when a brighter scene shows the blacks float up to 3x higher again.

I will have to search for a fix to this probl now. On blank output though I have achieved a 3x reduction in MLL from before to after.

Great stuff and thanks for the help Mironto
interesting.
thanks for the numbers.
50 inch?

if I remember correctly
58-65 ran .0027 new
50 ran ,0038 new

Loving D65
post #11259 of 11268 Old 09-21-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWldLif View Post
interesting.
thanks for the numbers.
50 inch?

if I remember correctly
58-65 ran .0027 new
50 ran ,0038 new
Hi. 50" pretty close to your quoted number from new. I am using i1d3 oem. Could easily be measurement difference.
post #11260 of 11268 Old 09-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crudesinger View Post
Hi. 50" pretty close to your quoted number from new. I am using i1d3 oem. Could easily be measurement difference.
sounds like the fix got it close to new.

Loving D65
post #11261 of 11268 Old 09-22-2014, 01:49 AM

Hi, Here is my set up for the VT20 with the smaller GH connector in the attached photo. Pretty small to work with so I had to use the very small gauge wire and splice it with the jumper wire male ends. Seemed to work. I did have some trouble reading the values from the software but the scripts load up fine and seemed to do the job. I do not think my wiring job is very robust, but managed to get the result. Thanks for all the excellent research the people on this thread have done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VT20 rig.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	274473  
post #11262 of 11268 Old 09-23-2014, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Instead of using single wires and making a cable yourself, use an old USB cable, strip out the outer layer, then the individual wires, this way you get a longer cable and save time on "creating" a cable.

My 2c.
post #11263 of 11268 Old 09-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just read Audiodane's most recent blog and it seems that we of the black level problem will soon be back in "business." I'm no technician, but it does seem to me that Audiodane is doing a bang-up job on getting his adapter into shipping shape. His product does look real good and I can't wait to get it, but I do have one question that I don't think I have see asked before. Although AD is testing each unit, I'd like to know how he will be handling malfunctioning units and warranties???
post #11264 of 11268 Old 09-24-2014, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
1) I have no doubt AD will stand behind what he's done. I just hope we compensate him fairly.

2) Is there a "list" to get on to be able to get some of the first units ? Or maybe it's just first come, first serve on Paypal.
Vader424242 likes this.

Last edited by Avgguy; 09-24-2014 at 04:56 AM.
post #11265 of 11268 Old 09-24-2014, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
Just read Audiodane's most recent blog and it seems that we of the black level problem will soon be back in "business." I'm no technician, but it does seem to me that Audiodane is doing a bang-up job on getting his adapter into shipping shape. His product does look real good and I can't wait to get it, but I do have one question that I don't think I have see asked before. Although AD is testing each unit, I'd like to know how he will be handling malfunctioning units and warranties???
Hello flycaster.. Thank you for your kind words. This has been a labor of love and a hobby project.. I have been wanting to build this unit for myself, and thought there might be a market for it (seems I was right). I have tried to build a professional product at garage-lab prices, but at the end of the day I'm still just a garage-lab hobbiest. I do have roughly 14 years of electrical engineering design experience and well over 20 years of programming experience, and I have used all of these skills to create the PMCv1.

I will do my best to support the product and the customer, but there is very little I can do that I haven't already designed into the PMCv1. It's algorithms have been designed around the electronic behavior of my set (IIC communication timing windows, TV set power on/off timing windows, etc). If someone else's set has different timing mechanisms, there's not going to be much I can do unless I somehow am able to get copies of those timing charts and use it to improve the PMCv1 software. Currently the PMCv1 software pays very careful attention to measure when the TV is turned on, as well as reading back the EEPROM values after it updates them to double-check that the TV actually "took" the values. If successful, it blinks one pattern. If not, it blinks another pattern. Also, I have built in an "UNDO" switch to help protect against any problems caused by the PMCv1. Basically, the first time it updates your EEPROM values, it stores off the OLD values from the EEPROM.. If something doesn't work right, you can flip the switch from "GO" to "UN" and the next time the TV turns on it will once again update EEPROM value, but this time by restoring the original values read off before the first update, returning the EEPROM value to the "last known good values." Hopefully this is enough to recover from any problems.

Now, even with all of that said, I also know enough about business that there is no way with the currently product pricing that I can offer any sort of liability and/or warranty service. (Heck, at this pricing and low quantity I can't even make a pretty box for it; I just have to use shrink-tubing to protect the critical electronics.) The PMCv1 will strictly be sold on a "use at your own risk" basis, and that is part of the paperwork that I now need to get together as the sales page is almost live (I've started testing the shopping cart mechanism this week, you may have noticed if you've been to the site lately). If I were a large company or had dozens of products for sale, maybe I could take out some business insurance, but with a single product line and it priced so low, there's just no money left to put into an insurance plan. Furthermore, I only have one Panasonic Plasma (TC-P50G10).. The best I can offer is to do my best to understand the research found here in this thread, communicate offline with mironto to double-check my algorithms (since his DIY approach has been fairly widely tested successfully and is the basis of the PMCv1), and come up with the best reasonable test mechanism to verify each unit is functioning properly before putting it in an envelope. I have been doing all of these things, but you assessed correctly that there is no way I can guarantee that a PMCv1 will function correctly on YOUR set.

So, my current plan is to somehow gather feedback from customers (but without sending nagging emails) regarding how the unit performed, and turn back around and share that information (model number and feedback only of course, no customer names) on the PMCv1 page where others can use that information in an effort to increase their comfort level. If anyone has any suggestions of a better approach, please -- I am *ALL EARS* ..

I'm sorry this reply has been so long. I should probably find a way to capture this information on the PMCv1 site.. But I hope that helps set some minds at ease. My mind won't be "at ease" until every customer has replied with "it works!" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgguy View Post
1) I have no doubt AD will stand behind what he's done. I just hope we compensate him fairly.

2) Is there a "list" to get on to be able to get some of the first units ? Or maybe it's just first come, first serve on Paypal.
1) Thank you Avgguy, there have been some who have suggested that the USD$60 price point is too low for this product.. There have been others who have said it is too high. All I can do is hope for the best. If the PMCv1 works for you and you wish to provide an additional token of your appreciation, then you are always more than welcome to followup with a paypal donation! Maybe I should put THAT on the product page!

2) Right or wrong, I intentionally denied preorders and/or prepayments, because I could not be subject to another master (those that know their Christian Bible will understand that reference). I knew that a long schedule would upset prepaying customers, and the last thing I needed was more people breathing down my neck. There is a newsletter subscription that I offered to automatically send updates when I added new development blog entries, and that's the closest thing I've had to knowing how many people may be interested in actually buying a PMCv1...

But back to your question- the best I can do right now is offer first-come-first-serve. I can say that when the sale page goes live, I will update the blog, and at 11am the next day central time an email will automatically be sent notifying update subscribers that the sales page is live. I may try to time the sales page going live with the update email (e.g. putting the sales page live close to the time the newsletter goes out) to give newsletter subscribers the best chance at being "first in line." One problem I haven't yet solved is that the shopping cart system doesn't let me put a quantity in (yet) ... I hope to have that fixed in time. But if not, then I will simply offer a 100% refund on the sale if I cannot fulfill an order request. At this point, selling out too fast is the least of my concerns!

cheers,
..dane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY guide using an Arduino

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others

Help for those battling HDMI extension
post #11266 of 11268 Old 09-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Audiodane, just keep up the good work and I'll be among the first to order. Although I know things can go wrong, even under the most controlled conditions, from your credentials and your thoughtful answers to questions and excellent update blogging, I have the utmost confidence that the PMCv1 stands a great chance of being error free.
post #11267 of 11268 Old 09-25-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I haven't visited this forum for a while. Can't believe it's over a year since I put together the guide with the help of the fantastic members of this forum. As I still have some 20 PH connectors left, I had an idea that I spend one or two evenings with soldering iron and complete the whole cable needed for connecting the TV to Arduino board like the one I have for my set.

Would there be any interest in such a cable for those, who are not planning to use Audiodane's PMCv1 device? I thought that by this time I would be long time out of connectors so I am trying to find out whether there are so few owners of the "old" plasmas or the DIY approach seems so much difficult. The timing on my offer seems to be colliding with what I believe is Audiodane's launch date of PMCv1 so I hope nobody will see it as some sort of competition for his device (which I am sure will be a success) but I want to get the fix to some more unhappy Panny's users.

Step-by-step guide for restoring the initial MLL on a Panasonic G10 plasma
post #11268 of 11268 Old 09-26-2014, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
Hey Audiodane, just keep up the good work and I'll be among the first to order. Although I know things can go wrong, even under the most controlled conditions, from your credentials and your thoughtful answers to questions and excellent update blogging, I have the utmost confidence that the PMCv1 stands a great chance of being error free.
Thanks flycaster..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironto View Post
I haven't visited this forum for a while. Can't believe it's over a year since I put together the guide with the help of the fantastic members of this forum. As I still have some 20 PH connectors left, I had an idea that I spend one or two evenings with soldering iron and complete the whole cable needed for connecting the TV to Arduino board like the one I have for my set.

[..img removed..]

Would there be any interest in such a cable for those, who are not planning to use Audiodane's PMCv1 device? I thought that by this time I would be long time out of connectors so I am trying to find out whether there are so few owners of the "old" plasmas or the DIY approach seems so much difficult. The timing on my offer seems to be colliding with what I believe is Audiodane's launch date of PMCv1 so I hope nobody will see it as some sort of competition for his device (which I am sure will be a success) but I want to get the fix to some more unhappy Panny's users.
Wow that's a great looking cable, mironto! Just wanted to reply to assure you that the two items are not competing at all and if you are able to package up some nice cables for some folks, that would be great (for you and for them)!

cheers,
..dane

DIY guide using an Arduino

Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others

Help for those battling HDMI extension
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List