Panasonic 11G/12G/13G black levels have seemingly doubled overnight? - Page 381 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 70Likes

post #11401 of 11419 Old 10-20-2014, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Let's just calm down and let the facts talk. CalWldLif, you have the new 2010 model (post April DoM if I remember correctly) with the "fixed" (less coarse) MLL rise, so you might not need PMCv1 at all.
http://www.cnet.com/news/2010-panaso...n-competition/
I understand your concern for 10% and 20% stimulus and to be sure the reset does not affect other panel's characteristics, I did several tests with different patterns to make sure there are no side effects like black crush you mention. But it would be beneficial to the community if some of you with PMCv1 would load the attached picture to an SD card and do post-rise and after-reset comparisons. The pattern contains 1-2-3-4-5-6% gray rectangles in the top row and 3-5-8-10-13-16% gray rectangles in the bottom row. By adjusting the brightness/contrast you should be able to distinguish all the rectangles from the fully black background. Once you do, please note the numbers for brightness/contrast you adjusted and how many rectangles you were able to see. If I remember correctly, I was able to see all the rectangles before and after reset, but after the reset I could lover the brightness from +4 to +1 and still see all the shades (European models have brightness/contrast on a scale -50/0/50 while US sets 0/100 so that would be 51-54 for US G10s). I have the TV at my parents so I can confirm the numbers once I get to see them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	U4JJY.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	320969  
audiodane likes this.

Panasonic plasma black level restoration
Step-by-step guide for restoring the initial MLL on a Panasonic G10 plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11402 of 11419 Old 10-20-2014, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I did my last reset in May (when 24 came back) and did one again last night before firing up Universal's The Mummy bluray.

I definitely did have a slight rise since then, as my tv is on at least 2 hours per day. I looked at my test patterns before and after connecting my Arduino and the levels were right where I would expect them to be. I couldn't see anything below 16 flashing black and anything above 235 flashing white. The ramps looked ok as did color gradiations.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #11403 of 11419 Old 10-20-2014, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just want to say congrats, Dane. Its great that you were able to get this out to everyone. I didn't buy as I was the guinea pig that tried Mironto's guide on my set. But if I was unwilling to do it myself, I would have ordered from you on the first day. Nice work.

If anyone is iffy about any long term effects of the reset on their TV, I'll reiterate what I mentioned on this thread a couple months ago... I did the reset over 1 year ago on my 54V10 and have had absolutely zero issues with my set since then.
eaayoung and audiodane like this.

I turn the sharpness on my TV all the way up, because that's how I like my picture... real sharp.
post #11404 of 11419 Old 10-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So I've been trying to keep up with incoming links to the site (that's how I found out about the international articles about the PMCv1), but it seems all of the sudden I'm getting a lot of hits from what looks like twitter shortened urls... Wish I could find out from whom so I could thank them!

Down to about 25% of my original stock.. Depending on how long it takes for the last pieces to sell, I may have to decide how many more to make.. A good problem, but still a problem (it will probably be 8-12 week lead time for additional units to keep costs down).

..dane
post #11405 of 11419 Old 10-21-2014, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Just installed the PMCv1. Before I installed it my usage read 4,242 hours with 4,189 cycles. After installing I got the blinking green light and then power cycled one more time and the TV came on. Checked the usage again after installation and it didn't go back to zero. That normal?

post #11406 of 11419 Old 10-21-2014, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
audiodane said that the ON time clock we can access from Vol-,info.. is not being reset by this circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgreg View Post
Just installed the PMCv1. Before I installed it my usage read 4,242 hours with 4,189 cycles. After installing I got the blinking green light and then power cycled one more time and the TV came on. Checked the usage again after installation and it didn't go back to zero. That normal?
post #11407 of 11419 Old 10-21-2014, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
This is correct. I've used Mironto's Arduino process to reset my TV and it resets the MLL clock (it works).

I am based in Australia and have purchased the PMCv1 for my (2008) TH-65PZ850A as I prefer the process to be automated to reset the MLL clock.

This reset does not reset the clock and counter you see in the service menu and pretty much has nothing to do with it. It only resets the MLL (Black Level) Clock/Timer whatever you want to call it.

I have found a way that you can reset the clock and counter in the service menu. The HEX details are located in the Memory Editor (It's located in the EEPROM (Peaks)) in Line 6E8. I don't know about other models, but this is where it is on mine.

You can reset the last 6 values to 00. The clock and counter (how many times the TV has been switched on for) will now be reset to 0.

I have also tried resetting the first 2 values to 00, but it does nothing.

So basically you can reset the MLL clock and the Service menu clock and counter and you can have a new TV! LOL!

Don't mess with the service menu settings though, if you do you can screw the TV up, if you do then I take no responsibility. Should you proceed, then make sure you take a photo of the values before you change it.

As on another model, especially if it's in another country as well, the values could be on another line.

I've attached a file for your reference.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Service Clock & Counter Reset.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	323897  

Last edited by Champ77; 10-21-2014 at 08:49 PM.
post #11408 of 11419 Old 10-21-2014, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone used this setting -forced to factory shipment setting-pressing [VOLUME ( - )] button on the main unit, press [MENU] button on the remote control for more than 3 seconds in TV reception screen after PMCv1 black level restored?I am wondering if this procedure reset the clock and counter we see in the service menu and doesn't need to HEX editing EEPROM.

Last edited by luis67; 10-21-2014 at 11:29 PM.
post #11409 of 11419 Old 10-21-2014, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
That clock and counter are not reset. The question was raised and answered a couple of times:
Post numbers:
11338-11339-11340
11404-11405-11406

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis67 View Post
Has anyone forced to factory shipment setting pressing [VOLUME ( - )] button on the main unit, press [MENU] button on the remote control for more than 3 seconds after PMCv1 black level restored?I am wondering if this procedure reset the clock and counter we see in the service menu and doesn't need to HEX editing EEPROM.
post #11410 of 11419 Old Yesterday, 01:03 AM

Liked: 11
Just to confirm what I posted before about the clock and counter reset.

Pics are attached.

It's been this amount of time since I did the reset with the Arduino, 135hrs.

I didn't do a reset of the MLL this time as I'm waiting for Audiodane's device.

The attachments uploaded in the wrong order. Just work your way from the last one to the first one to see.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3298.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	324161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3297.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	324169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3296.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	324177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3295.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	324185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3294.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	324193  

post #11411 of 11419 Old Yesterday, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luis67 View Post
Has anyone used this setting -forced to factory shipment setting-pressing [VOLUME ( - )] button on the main unit, press [MENU] button on the remote control for more than 3 seconds in TV reception screen after PMCv1 black level restored?I am wondering if this procedure reset the clock and counter we see in the service menu and doesn't need to HEX editing EEPROM.
I have added this question to the PMCv1 product page FAQ, since it seems to continue to confuse people:
Quote:
The “service menu” and “service connector” are two very different things. The on-screen service menu (accessible by several button combinations while the TV is on) does contain an hours counter and a cycles counter (how many times the TV has been turned on), however neither of these counters affect MLL/Black Level. The counters that affect MLL/Black level are on a different area of the TV and are not accessible through the on-screen service menu.

There is no need to reset the counters in the on-screen service menu, as it has been proven to be ineffective at reducing MLL/Black Level. I rather suggest you leave it alone and it will continue to give an accurate indication of the ‘true’ age of the TV, while the PMCv1 is quietly maintaining your inky blacks behind-the-scenes.
cheers,
..dane

Last edited by audiodane; Yesterday at 05:00 AM.
post #11412 of 11419 Old Today, 04:02 AM

Liked: 2
Attached my results of the TX-P42G15E (European/Dutch model).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullSizeRender before.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	326226   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender after.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	326234  
AVfile and audiodane like this.
post #11413 of 11419 Old Today, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My second PMCv1 arrived yesterday. I hooked it up to my 2010 TC-P50VT20. Not nearly as dramatic an effect as on my 2009 G15 but I didn't expect it to since the 2010 models weren't nearly as aggressive with the voltage corrections. Just wanted to let you know that it does work on the VT20/25 series TVs. Thanks, Dane!

Paul
audiodane likes this.

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #11414 of 11419 Old Today, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Now this is cool.. I have been trying to figure out for the past few days where the twitter traffic originated from.. Finally found it.. from the man himself who has been covering the issue for CNET all these years..

..dane
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	twitter_katzmaier.png
Views:	26
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	327202  
post #11415 of 11419 Old Today, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess he doesn't read his Facebook messages

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-10-23_16-19-47.png
Views:	11
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	327242  

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
post #11416 of 11419 Old Today, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
Now this is cool.. I have been trying to figure out for the past few days where the twitter traffic originated from.. Finally found it.. from the man himself who has been covering the issue for CNET all these years..

..dane

You're famous!

post #11417 of 11419 Old Today, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
I guess he doesn't read his Facebook messages
That would involve having to download Facebook Messenger. Ick

post #11418 of 11419 Old Today, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Haha it wouldn't have last year!

But when I first fixed mine I wrote or tweeted at every tech journalist I follow. And I see where some AVS forum members have gone back onto some of the major sites (like Engadget and Cnet) and wrote new comments onto the original articles that the rising blacks are fixable.

I really hope David still has access to an S1 with screwed up black levels, can aquire a PMC, blast it, and report what the before and after numbers look like. Thats why I bugged him in the first place. Well that and I hoped he could get Panasonic to comment on it

My HTPC front end set up
post #11419 of 11419 Old Today, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
Thats why I bugged him in the first place. Well that and I hoped he could get Panasonic to comment on it
Don't we all! I'm sure Panasonic won't have anything positive to say.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List