Panasonic 11G/12G/13G black levels have seemingly doubled overnight? - Page 382 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 86Likes

post #11431 of 11449 Old 10-24-2014, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Another mega-thrilled PCM user. Installation (on a 2009 G10) could not be easier and my tv looks great. I can't show you any proof because I'm WAY better at looking at pictures than taking them, but this little critter will easily rate as the best bang-for-the-buck purchase of 2014.

Years from now, post-apocalyptic hunter-gatherers will sit around their fires retelling the legends of the now-extinct enchanted screens of the gods, known as "The Plaz-mas" and of the time when the Plaz-mas were threatened and started to weaken. But then a brave hero - Dane of Aw-doe - rode from the south wielding his enchanted board of wonder - the "Peace of M" and did save the Plaz-mas.

And songs of praise and wonder will be sung.

Thanks, Dane.
audiodane likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11432 of 11449 Old 10-25-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsidianDeath View Post
My only complaint is that I would rather leave the PMCv1 hanging outside the TV without the service panel cover, but I guess I will need to tuck it as the green LED is very bright in a dark room. Not that I am really complaining ... I love the black screen results. Now let's hope it stands the test of time
I've got my PCM tucked into my set and that LED is so bright that it shines through the back grill and makes a pop-art polka dot pattern on the wall behind the TV. But I have a great solution. I just got some of these in the mail:

http://lightdims.com/

and I'm using them all over the place.

You get a sheet of 100 "dims" in all different sizes. I used the smallest square on the sheet on my PCM. The beauty of it is that it tames the LED to very manageable levels (cuts 50-80% of the light) but you can still see the light if you need to. So the PCM's mighty LED can be removed as an interfering light source while viewing your TV but you can still see it if you need to (for an undo or whatever other reason.)

Very affordable and highly recommended. (I'm not affiliated in any way. Just like the idea of making the PCM miracle even better.)
post #11433 of 11449 Old 10-25-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Ha ha .. I guess if all people can complain about is the brightness of the LED, I'll call it a good day....

..dane
post #11434 of 11449 Old 10-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog46 View Post
I've got my PCM tucked into my set and that LED is so bright that it shines through the back grill and makes a pop-art polka dot pattern on the wall behind the TV. But I have a great solution. I just got some of these in the mail:

You get a sheet of 100 "dims" in all different sizes. I used the smallest square on the sheet on my PCM. The beauty of it is that it tames the LED to very manageable levels (cuts 50-80% of the light) but you can still see the light if you need to. So the PCM's mighty LED can be removed as an interfering light source while viewing your TV but you can still see it if you need to (for an undo or whatever other reason.)

Very affordable and highly recommended. (I'm not affiliated in any way. Just like the idea of making the PCM miracle even better.)

Black electrical tape
audiodane likes this.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #11435 of 11449 Old 10-25-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I used a piece of double side foam tape, sticking the bottom side of the PCB to the inside of the of the back panel. The the LED is shining inwards. It still can be seen, but not too bright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
Black electrical tape
audiodane likes this.
post #11436 of 11449 Old 10-25-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
Black electrical tape
Yes, one of the two basic elements holding the universe together and a very easy solution. But I want to be able to see that LED and don't want to get tape gunk on my pretty shiny PCM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhe zhang View Post
I used a piece of double side foam tape, sticking the bottom side of the PCB to the inside of the of the back panel. The the LED is shining inwards. It still can be seen, but not too bright.
Elegant!
audiodane likes this.
post #11437 of 11449 Old 10-25-2014, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Awesome, thanks. I have a Fry's and Micro Center very close by so I will go pick some up today.

The LED would not be so bad if it went off when the TV is turned off, but it is super bright in a dark room.

Despite this MINOR complaint, I love my PMCv1. It's as if I bought a brand new TV for $60.
post #11438 of 11449 Old 10-25-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
Ha ha .. I guess if all people can complain about is the brightness of the LED, I'll call it a good day....

..dane
It's a very good say indeed, Dane.

We're techno-geeks. If we're not tweaking something we're not truly happy.

I see the PCM as the gift that keeps on giving. Not only did I get a new TV for $60, I also got to mod the new toy just the tiniest bit.
post #11439 of 11449 Old 10-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsidianDeath View Post
The LED would not be so bad if it went off when the TV is turned off, but it is super bright in a dark room.

Despite this MINOR complaint, I love my PMCv1. It's as if I bought a brand new TV for $60.
Thanks Obsidian-- And I'll think about the LED thing.. It's tough to know whether the TV's off and you DO want the light on (because you just plugged it in!) versus the TV's off and you DON'T want the light on.. I'll see if I can think of anything for the next round of boards..

Quote:
I see the PCM as the gift that keeps on giving. Not only did I get a new TV for $60, I also got to mod the new toy just the tiniest bit.
Awesome. I can see the enjoyment in that.

..dane
post #11440 of 11449 Old 10-26-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Actually, I like the LED, as it tells me that the PMCv1 is still working to keep my beautiful picture. I really only notice it when I enter the darkened theater, but when I am watching something the LED is drowned out by the backlighting. Plus, at my age, I tend to forget stuff quite easily, so when each reset occurs and I panic when I turn the set on to a blank screen, I can see the LED blinking. So, it's all good...

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #11441 of 11449 Old 10-26-2014, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
OK, I'm at work at the moment.

My Wife called me to say a device has come and looks like what is the device for the TV.

I will test it tonight.

Will I be the first in Australia to use the PMCv1?

I've got the TH-65PZ850A plasma and Mironto's solution works fine. So this should work as well.
post #11442 of 11449 Old 10-26-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Got mine today. Will be a while before I can install mine. MY 54" V10 is currently unplugged waiting to be moved to our game room.

Thanks for your hard work Dane. Saw where your package was mailed from Alabama. Not sure if you're Alabama or Auburn fan. Not me. But am a fan of another SEC Team (nope, not Texas A&M either). But just for you, I will say Roll Tide & Go War Eagle!

Thanks again Dane!
Vols?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #11443 of 11449 Old 10-27-2014, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPanther View Post
Vols?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Good guess!
post #11444 of 11449 Old 10-27-2014, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just installed the PMCv1 on my 50V10 and watched Planet Earth caves episode and man does my tv look good again. The contrast is so nice, it's like a new tv. The shadow detail still looked really good, no black crush to my eyes. Oh, and by the way, light black crush is grey crush. It's still the same thing, just doesn't look as black.
post #11445 of 11449 Old 10-28-2014, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello all, I just bought a used 46 inch G10 (American model) on craigslist for just $350. It's got firmware version 1.30. It looks pretty good... no burn in or IR whatsoever. I'm fully aware that this model has the "rising blacks" problem... and now I'm ready to make G10 show its true black by buying PMCv1. Also, is the PMCv1 "set-and-forget" type of thing?
post #11446 of 11449 Old 10-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34HFX83 View Post
Also, is the PMCv1 "set-and-forget" type of thing?
Yes

post #11447 of 11449 Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just seen this thread, I have been aware that my 42G20's MLL is not what it was but it still subjectively seems to beat most other non-plasma displays my friends have, I rarely watch in absolute darkness (though often in a dim room). I'm willing to buy one of these anyway, however I won't be able to buy it for another month (long story), I don't mind if I have to wait 2 or more months for a second batch, but pretty please do make a second production run. Even if you have to do a pre-order on your website, I think it will get filled quickly if you get this product mentioned on other (plasma/hometheater) message boards.
post #11448 of 11449 Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormy View Post
Just seen this thread, I have been aware that my 42G20's MLL is not what it was but it still subjectively seems to beat most other non-plasma displays my friends have, I rarely watch in absolute darkness (though often in a dim room). I'm willing to buy one of these anyway, however I won't be able to buy it for another month (long story), I don't mind if I have to wait 2 or more months for a second batch, but pretty please do make a second production run. Even if you have to do a pre-order on your website, I think it will get filled quickly if you get this product mentioned on other (plasma/hometheater) message boards.
(bump for ditto) I also have a G20 that needs PMCv1 and I'm afraid that the production run will stop.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page