Panasonic 11G/12G/13G black levels have seemingly doubled overnight? - Page 384 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 107Likes

post #11491 of 11506 Old 12-13-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I couldn't state unoquivicolly that I have enough hours, but I feel like I'm in the same boat as you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11492 of 11506 Old 12-14-2014, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
I received an email from a PMCv1 customer recently concerned that they hadn't observed the 150hr re-clear event yet, but they were sure that it has been more than 150hrs. I shared his concern for my own TV, which clearly is still maintaining its black level properly, but I don't recall having to do the power on-power off-power on thing again lately. I asked my wife if her or the kids have noticed the TV "not coming on" recently, and she said no (but then again, they're kids, so...)

On my particular unit, I've had an SD-Card based log attached for several months, and so I was able to pull off the log file and have a look at it. I have not yet had a chance to study it fully, but I was able to confirm in fact that my set was re-cleared recently, even though it did not seem to require the power cycling again like when first installed..

I wanted to ask if anyone else is pretty sure that their TV has accrued at least 150hrs since installing the PMCv1, and that they can clearly tell the black levels are still "good" even though they have NOT had to turn the TV off and on again due to the expected re-clearing event?

thanks,
..dane
My P50X1 has reset 2x since I installed the PMCv1. Found the PMCv1 with green leds blinking and had to power off/on to clear the reset.

Works great.
post #11493 of 11506 Old 12-14-2014, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeky View Post
My P50X1 has reset 2x since I installed the PMCv1. Found the PMCv1 with green leds blinking and had to power off/on to clear the reset.

Works great.
I just found this thread while reading up on my F8500... I have a 42G10 with ~5670 hours on it and the black levels are terrible! I wish I knew about it earlier.

I just pre-ordered the PMCv2, does anyone in the Houston area have a PMCv1 I can borrow in the meantime?

Have a question? AIM me: supremeMilo
post #11494 of 11506 Old 12-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeky View Post

Works great.
Thanks for the feedback sneeky- I recall one or two folks indicating that even on their first installation they didn't have to do the turn-off/turn-on thing. I haven't yet figured out the cause for difference. I had originally HOPED that the PMCv1 would operate that way of course.. Maybe we'll figure out the differences (why some require turning off/on and some don't) sooner than later..

cheers,
..dane
post #11495 of 11506 Old 12-15-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I received an email from a PMCv1 customer recently concerned that they hadn't observed the 150hr re-clear event yet, but they were sure that it has been more than 150hrs. I shared his concern for my own TV, which clearly is still maintaining its black level properly, but I don't recall having to do the power on-power off-power on thing again lately. I asked my wife if her or the kids have noticed the TV "not coming on" recently, and she said no (but then again, they're kids, so...)

On my particular unit, I've had an SD-Card based log attached for several months, and so I was able to pull off the log file and have a look at it. I have not yet had a chance to study it fully, but I was able to confirm in fact that my set was re-cleared recently, even though it did not seem to require the power cycling again like when first installed..

I wanted to ask if anyone else is pretty sure that their TV has accrued at least 150hrs since installing the PMCv1, and that they can clearly tell the black levels are still "good" even though they have NOT had to turn the TV off and on again due to the expected re-clearing event?

thanks,
..dane
I've lost count of exactly how many times that the PMCv1 on my panel has performed it's "auto-reset" function, but it's been at least 4 times - most likely 5 or 6. Works perfectly each and every time!

Many thanks once again, Dane.

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

Last edited by Lloyd-TX; 12-15-2014 at 10:02 AM.
post #11496 of 11506 Old 12-16-2014, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If there are some Panny owners who cannot wait for PMCv2, I've got last 10 Arduino DIY cables left. It's very unlikely I will ever order more JST connectors and crimps in the future, so this is your last chance to get the pre-made cable. I've used most of the connectors/crimps for assembling the cables, but still got a couple of unused connectors/crimps for the ones willing to solder the cable themselves.
http://panasonic.mironto.sk/hardware...jst_connector/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141216_135440.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	425154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141216_135146.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	425162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141216_135329.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	425170  
audiodane likes this.

Panasonic plasma black level restoration
Step-by-step guide for restoring the initial MLL on a Panasonic G10 plasma
post #11497 of 11506 Old 12-22-2014, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have been going in circles trying to find a direct answer on how to get to the service connection / port on my Panasonic TC-P50G25. I'm likely going to buy audiodane's PMCv2 or try out mironto's guide for DIY, so I'm just trying to figure out how to get to that A-board connector.

Do I have to take off the back cover for the tv or is there a panel that I'm not seeing?

I have not found any pictures that show the location of the panel, but there is a post in this forum that shows the connection after the panel has been removed, and someone else commented that it was very similar to their VT60 if I recall correctly.

If anyone has had success with their G25 and resetting the blacks, please let me know.

Mine was purchased late 2010, had a power supply that died and was replaced in 2012 and has been running great, but the blacks are driving me crazy. Especially the rising blacks during dark scenes where the black takes a second to adjust to the scene.... incredibly annoying.

Any help to get me back to my pristine viewing experience and stop my eye from twitching every time I watch a dark movie, would be greatly appreciated.
post #11498 of 11506 Old 12-22-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The location should be similar to TC-P42G25. Check the pictures on my DIY page
http://panasonic.mironto.sk/restorin...ice_connector/
There should be a black sticker instead of plastic cover.
audiodane likes this.
post #11499 of 11506 Old 12-22-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironto View Post
The location should be similar to TC-P42G25. Check the pictures on my DIY page
There should be a black sticker instead of plastic cover.
Thank you!

When searching on "service" and "connector" or any variation, it didn't come up with anything other than it being attached to the A-board, which wasn't much more help from what I can see in the service manual, and I thought it was behind that little plate / sticker, but when I picked at it, it didn't seem to want to come off easily so I got a bit nervous and stopped messing with it.

Is it a sticker or a plate of some kind? Do I need to use a small screwdriver and pry it off?

Thanks again for the quick response, I very much appreciate it!
post #11500 of 11506 Old 12-22-2014, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_jay View Post
...but when I picked at it, it didn't seem to want to come off easily so I got a bit nervous and stopped messing with it.

Is it a sticker or a plate of some kind? Do I need to use a small screwdriver and pry it off?

Had a similar experience with a GT25. The sticker has a "firmness" to it. I used a small jeweler's screwdriver to get under a couple corners.
audiodane likes this.

Is it more fun to use the equipment or talk about it on AVS?
post #11501 of 11506 Old 12-23-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you!

When searching on "service" and "connector" or any variation, it didn't come up with anything other than it being attached to the A-board, which wasn't much more help from what I can see in the service manual, and I thought it was behind that little plate / sticker, but when I picked at it, it didn't seem to want to come off easily so I got a bit nervous and stopped messing with it.

Thanks again for the quick response, I very much appreciate it!
Like montanaman said, just work at it starting with one of the corners. I used my fingernail at first and then carefully pried it up without bending the plate. It's fairly ridged and has a sticky coating applied to the back of it, but since it only makes contact with the edges of the service port, once you get it started the plate should lift right off fairly easily. I'm stating the obvious, but make sure not to get dust and debris on the plate adhesive so that it will stick to the service port again after you install the PMCv2.

Last edited by HD-Addict; 12-23-2014 at 10:50 AM.
post #11502 of 11506 Old 12-23-2014, 11:26 AM

Does this help with floating blacks?

I'm curious if fixing the rising blacks has helped anyone with floating blacks?

I know the two are separate, but I've noticed that as the blacks have risen on my G25, so have the floating blacks. I've tried everything I can to get rid of them, and D-Nice's settings have helped quite a bit to get them to be less noticed, but during night viewing with low to no light, watching a movie like Snitch or Dark Knight, there are plenty of scenes where the floating blacks are annoying to the point of distracting you from the movie itself.

Does resetting the hours for the blacks happen to make the floating blacks less obvious or worse? Has anyone found a genuine fix for the floating blacks? I've read that shining a light into the CATS sensor helps, but I have a hard time understanding how that works if what I've read about the floating blacks is true... that they are based on the output voltage of the scene according to its brightness? How would the CATS sensor help that if it's turned off?

I digress... I mostly just wanted to know if anyone has experienced a change in floating blacks when fixing the rising blacks.

Thanks again for everyone's responses!
post #11503 of 11506 Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I finally got around to installing my v1 last week and man I tell you it feels like I have a new TV again. I thought the difference would be more subtle but, to me, it was almost drastic. Excellent work and thank you for your efforts! Money well spent.
audiodane likes this.

ala Yoda...

"Tweeters". Heh! "Treble". Heh! A basshead craves not these things! ...
post #11504 of 11506 Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

thanks,
..dane
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback sneeky- I recall one or two folks indicating that even on their first installation they didn't have to do the turn-off/turn-on thing. I haven't yet figured out the cause for difference. I had originally HOPED that the PMCv1 would operate that way of course.. Maybe we'll figure out the differences (why some require turning off/on and some don't) sooner than later..

cheers,
..dane

Mine did not require a restart when the PMCv1 was initially installed. Since I pulled the plug, it did go to the "Select Language" screen (thanks to audiodane for reminding me it was due to me pulling the plug during installation).

I do not remember having to do the turn-off turn-on any time after installation. I ordered it the 1st day it was available and installed it the same day it arrived (Oct 16th or so). Not sure how many hours since, but I had 8700 hours in 5 years or about 145hrs/month, so I figured over 300 hours. My black level is still excellent.

I remember audiodane mentioned a while ago the timing was just not sufficient to have the PMCv1 do it's job and leave the TV on. Could the timing on different samples vary just a bit to let this happen on some units? Mine is a 54V10 and has a manufacture date of Oct 09 (cannot see the serial number though).

Thanks again for audiodane's excellent work.

Happy Holidays for all.
post #11505 of 11506 Old Today, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I'm curious if fixing the rising blacks has helped anyone with floating blacks?

I know the two are separate, but I've noticed that as the blacks have risen on my G25, so have the floating blacks. I've tried everything I can to get rid of them, and D-Nice's settings have helped quite a bit to get them to be less noticed, but during night viewing with low to no light, watching a movie like Snitch or Dark Knight, there are plenty of scenes where the floating blacks are annoying to the point of distracting you from the movie itself.

Does resetting the hours for the blacks happen to make the floating blacks less obvious or worse? Has anyone found a genuine fix for the floating blacks? I've read that shining a light into the CATS sensor helps, but I have a hard time understanding how that works if what I've read about the floating blacks is true... that they are based on the output voltage of the scene according to its brightness? How would the CATS sensor help that if it's turned off?

I digress... I mostly just wanted to know if anyone has experienced a change in floating blacks when fixing the rising blacks.

Thanks again for everyone's responses!
Hi,

The floating blacks became more noticeable on mine after the fix. This is because the blacks were restored.

I checked on windowed slides of different light output ad there are quite a few stages of floating black.

When the blacks are really good the floating stands out more when it happens

Crazy and quite rediculas feature really.

VT20 still way better for the rising blacks fix.
post #11506 of 11506 Old Today, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Merry Christmas to everyone.. I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday. I had some major work deadlines keeping me from anything else but I managed to get all the PMCv2 boards and connector cables ordered in time. I finally made my last customer deadline (day-job work related) just before Christmas so I could enjoy a relaxing last two weeks of 2014.. I have the first-article samples of the connectors already (arrived christmas eve) and I need to double-check them but they are looking great. PMCv2 boards and the remainder of the cable order should be here late January. I was hoping early January for both but oh well. So the February ship date still seems most accurate (as is presented on the preorder page).

Everyone's fast asleep here and I'm not far behind, but I wanted to at least login somewhere and give a brief update. An update through the email notification on the website will go out in a few days; we have family in town and the little computer time I get during waking hours is currently spent getting my wife migrated to a replacement computer after hers died.

Anyhoo, things on the PMCv2 front are looking great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhe zhang View Post
Mine did not require a restart when the PMCv1 was initially installed. Since I pulled the plug, it did go to the "Select Language" screen (thanks to audiodane for reminding me it was due to me pulling the plug during installation).

I do not remember having to do the turn-off turn-on any time after installation. I ordered it the 1st day it was available and installed it the same day it arrived (Oct 16th or so). Not sure how many hours since, but I had 8700 hours in 5 years or about 145hrs/month, so I figured over 300 hours. My black level is still excellent.

I remember audiodane mentioned a while ago the timing was just not sufficient to have the PMCv1 do it's job and leave the TV on. Could the timing on different samples vary just a bit to let this happen on some units? Mine is a 54V10 and has a manufacture date of Oct 09 (cannot see the serial number though).

Thanks again for audiodane's excellent work.

Happy Holidays for all.
Hi Zhe, yes I remember our email conversation. I agree with your supposition, that while the PMCv1 could not "get in and back out" fast enough on my TV, it may be doing just that on yours and others. Certainly your noting the obvious and immediate change in black level corroborates that hypothesis. I have plenty of log data from my TV turning on and off over the past months, but I have not yet had time to go through it in great detail. I will try and get it posted soon and let some smart folks (with time on their hands) go through it for any clues they may find. I will say that at least glancing at it, I can clearly see where the TV crossed over the 150hrs mark and on the next power cycle it cleared just as it is designed to do..

I have had no reports of anyone seeing a "return of black level rise" even hundreds of hours after installing the PCMv1, so I am confident that it is doing its job even if it doesn't require the power off/on cycle once installed.

cheers,
..dane

Last edited by audiodane; Today at 11:51 PM.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays