Panasonic 11G/12G/13G black levels have seemingly doubled overnight? - Page 388 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 163Likes

post #11611 of 11622 Old 04-10-2015, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by con219 View Post
To audiodane
Mine hasn't arrived yet but one question.

Once you remove the small rectangular cover on the TV and connect the PMCV2 . Do you recommend the unit just hanging out of the TV?
Or are yo supposed to try and pass the unit through the rectangular opening and reseal the cover??

I am thinking of letting it hang outside for easy access. will this cause any long term problem/issue??

Your learned opinion would be appreciated.
Check out post #11452 and post #11536. Dane briefly talks about this.

I have the PMCv1 and it fits inside the chassis of my TV but it is somewhat of a delicate fit. There were some PCB components that I had to avoid hitting with the PMC in order to get it inside. Some free space located diagonally to the connector ended up being the only viable spot for the PMC, at least on my particular set.

The other thing I noticed is that the edges of the rectangular opening are very sharp and could cut or otherwise damage the insulation of small wires of the PMC if you aren't careful.
audiodane likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 11622 Old 04-10-2015, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Addict View Post
Check out post #11452 and post #11536. Dane briefly talks about this.

I have the PMCv1 and it fits inside the chassis of my TV but it is somewhat of a delicate fit. There were some PCB components that I had to avoid hitting with the PMC in order to get it inside. Some free space located diagonally to the connector ended up being the only viable spot for the PMC, at least on my particular set.

The other thing I noticed is that the edges of the rectangular opening are very sharp and could cut or otherwise damage the insulation of small wires of the PMC if you aren't careful.
Thanks for the info.

My unit arrived and just installed it.

I put the "re blacked" one in the spare room for now. I also have the Vt60 and have gotten used to the
very dark contrasts on but have noted the vt20 looks a lot darker.

I have overlooked taking photo's and I want to demonstrate it to friends who want to purchase the PMCV2 who own same TV as me.

Can I "reset" the TV back to prior PMCV2 while connected to TV and then reactivate it for the demo to friends.

I read you can use the "und" setting on unit but not sure if this will permanently disable the PMCV2 so you can't ever use it again.

"Having read previous posts I understand that the undo switch does not render the unit inoperable forever.
Flick it back to run and everything works again"
audiodane likes this.

Last edited by con219; 04-13-2015 at 11:22 PM.
post #11613 of 11622 Old 04-10-2015, 06:34 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
I put the "re blacked"it n the spare room for now. I also have the Vt60 and have gotten used to the
very dark contrasts on but have noted the vt20 looks a lot darker.
I have a V10 and a VT60. Although I have one of Dane's devices and the V10 looks much better with it, it still does not come close to the VT60! Those of us lucky enough to score a VT60 or ZT60 know just how great those really area! I must stop comparing these two displays
audiodane likes this.

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 (L/C/R), Pioneer SP-BS 22 (Surr) and Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofer
post #11614 of 11622 Old 04-10-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
I have a V10 and a VT60. Although I have one of Dane's devices and the V10 looks much better with it, it still does not come close to the VT60! Those of us lucky enough to score a VT60 or ZT60 know just how great those really area! I must stop comparing these two displays
Definitely.

I have become so used to the blacks on my 65vt60 that I have become a "video snob"

Nevertheless the 65VT20 looks better now.

I am from Australia and procedure to activate the device slightly different from the US .

As I had packed the VT20 away about 20 months ago I noticed it did a firmware update 3.607 after the device did its magic.

Just wondering if the firmware update effects the clock or device ie do I need to do another run of the device?

Last edited by con219; 04-11-2015 at 08:46 AM.
post #11615 of 11622 Old 04-11-2015, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
As I had packed the VT20 away about 20 months ago I noticed it did a firmware update 3.607 after the device did its magic. Just wondering if the firmware update effects the clock or device ie do I need to do another run of the device?
Updates Skype per Panasonic's website.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/...a/down_oc.html
post #11616 of 11622 Old 04-12-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Updates Skype per Panasonic's website.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/...a/down_oc.html

Thanks
post #11617 of 11622 Old 04-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just had my first reset since the install. Scared me for a sec, but a power cycle later I was back up and running.
audiodane likes this.
post #11618 of 11622 Old 04-17-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser View Post
Just had my first reset since the install. Scared me for a sec, but a power cycle later I was back up and running.
Looking forward for my first experience as well.

So far the blacks look wonderful. It is amusing that the more and more i watch the VT20 now the better the picture looks. i think I am adapting to it.

I recall when I first got the 65Vt60 the blacks left me in awe. I suppose I was going from a risen black VT20 to a reference black Vt60.

I will notice the difference when I unbox the vt60 when our spare room becomes available but for now the VT20 is not embarrassing itself.

My thanks goes to people like mironto and audiodane who rather than bitch found a solution against all the negativity from the so called experts out there who said it was irreversible or would not disclose the solution.

And shame to Panasonic who could have easily come up with audiodane's solution and given their resources I propose even better eg disabling the schematic path for the mll clock altogether hence no need to do a reset.
Vader424242 likes this.

Last edited by con219; 04-17-2015 at 11:03 PM.
post #11619 of 11622 Old 04-18-2015, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Looking forward for my first experience as well.

So far the blacks look wonderful. It is amusing that the more and more i watch the VT20 now the better the picture looks. i think I am adapting to it.

I recall when I first got the 65Vt60 the blacks left me in awe. I suppose I was going from a risen black VT20 to a reference black Vt60.

I will notice the difference when I unbox the vt60 when our spare room becomes available but for now the VT20 is not embarrassing itself.

My thanks goes to people like mironto and audiodane who rather than bitch found a solution against all the negativity from the so called experts out there who said it was irreversible or would not disclose the solution.

And shame to Panasonic who could have easily come up with audiodane's solution and given their resources I propose even better eg disabling the schematic path for the mll clock altogether hence no need to do a reset.
Has Panasonic every commented on this fix? If so, I haven't seen it. I guess they wouldn't as they would like to distances themselves from the rising black problem as much as they can. But I would still like to know what they think about this fix.
Vader424242 likes this.

Last edited by eaayoung; 04-19-2015 at 09:12 AM.
post #11620 of 11622 Old 04-19-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Has Panasonic every commented on this fix? I so, I haven't seen it. I guess they wouldn't as they would like to distances themselves from the rising black problem as much as they can. But I would still like to know what they think about this fix.

I think you know the answer to that question.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #11621 of 11622 Old 04-20-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
I think you know the answer to that question.
I went to the shed to get my road bike ( push bike) and glanced at the Panasonic 65VT20 box and had to chuckle when I read on box Infinite black pro ... deep blacks. also I still have the promo commercial on the TV from Panasonic on my hard drive which was promoting the blacks on the TV with claims how black can you go.
post #11622 of 11622 Old 04-21-2015, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Hello good people,

This will be short and sweet as I'm at work right now..

I am just coming off a three-week-long travel schedule and I am WAY behind everywhere (work, home, PMCv2, etc) ... Also, during a particularly windy storm on Sunday, one of our trees came down across two of my neighbor's fences so I'm working to repair them. Also, my wife is serving on jury duty all week (no joke, I couldn't make this stuff up) ... Also, ... well you get the idea. busy, busy, busy...

I have several days to get a handful of PMCv2 units shipped out by the 25th, and I also hope to post a more detailed update on the Gx2x model testing that we were working on in recent weeks. Hopefully this weekend I'll get an email update posted..

cheers,
..dane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays