Panasonic 11G/12G/13G black levels have seemingly doubled overnight? - Page 388 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 172Likes
post #11611 of 11639 Old 04-10-2015, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 46
To audiodane
Mine hasn't arrived yet but one question.

Once you remove the small rectangular cover on the TV and connect the PMCV2 . Do you recommend the unit just hanging out of the TV?
Or are yo supposed to try and pass the unit through the rectangular opening and reseal the cover??

I am thinking of letting it hang outside for easy access. will this cause any long term problem/issue??

Your learned opinion would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 11639 Old 04-10-2015, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by con219 View Post
To audiodane
Mine hasn't arrived yet but one question.

Once you remove the small rectangular cover on the TV and connect the PMCV2 . Do you recommend the unit just hanging out of the TV?
Or are yo supposed to try and pass the unit through the rectangular opening and reseal the cover??

I am thinking of letting it hang outside for easy access. will this cause any long term problem/issue??

Your learned opinion would be appreciated.
Check out post #11452 and post #11536. Dane briefly talks about this.

I have the PMCv1 and it fits inside the chassis of my TV but it is somewhat of a delicate fit. There were some PCB components that I had to avoid hitting with the PMC in order to get it inside. Some free space located diagonally to the connector ended up being the only viable spot for the PMC, at least on my particular set.

The other thing I noticed is that the edges of the rectangular opening are very sharp and could cut or otherwise damage the insulation of small wires of the PMC if you aren't careful.
audiodane likes this.
post #11613 of 11639 Old 04-10-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Addict View Post
Check out post #11452 and post #11536. Dane briefly talks about this.

I have the PMCv1 and it fits inside the chassis of my TV but it is somewhat of a delicate fit. There were some PCB components that I had to avoid hitting with the PMC in order to get it inside. Some free space located diagonally to the connector ended up being the only viable spot for the PMC, at least on my particular set.

The other thing I noticed is that the edges of the rectangular opening are very sharp and could cut or otherwise damage the insulation of small wires of the PMC if you aren't careful.
Thanks for the info.

My unit arrived and just installed it.

I put the "re blacked" one in the spare room for now. I also have the Vt60 and have gotten used to the
very dark contrasts on but have noted the vt20 looks a lot darker.

I have overlooked taking photo's and I want to demonstrate it to friends who want to purchase the PMCV2 who own same TV as me.

Can I "reset" the TV back to prior PMCV2 while connected to TV and then reactivate it for the demo to friends.

I read you can use the "und" setting on unit but not sure if this will permanently disable the PMCV2 so you can't ever use it again.

"Having read previous posts I understand that the undo switch does not render the unit inoperable forever.
Flick it back to run and everything works again"
audiodane likes this.

Last edited by con219; 04-13-2015 at 11:22 PM.
post #11614 of 11639 Old 04-10-2015, 06:34 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
I put the "re blacked"it n the spare room for now. I also have the Vt60 and have gotten used to the
very dark contrasts on but have noted the vt20 looks a lot darker.
I have a V10 and a VT60. Although I have one of Dane's devices and the V10 looks much better with it, it still does not come close to the VT60! Those of us lucky enough to score a VT60 or ZT60 know just how great those really area! I must stop comparing these two displays
audiodane likes this.

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 (L/C/R), Pioneer SP-BS 22 (Surr) and Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofer
post #11615 of 11639 Old 04-10-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
I have a V10 and a VT60. Although I have one of Dane's devices and the V10 looks much better with it, it still does not come close to the VT60! Those of us lucky enough to score a VT60 or ZT60 know just how great those really area! I must stop comparing these two displays
Definitely.

I have become so used to the blacks on my 65vt60 that I have become a "video snob"

Nevertheless the 65VT20 looks better now.

I am from Australia and procedure to activate the device slightly different from the US .

As I had packed the VT20 away about 20 months ago I noticed it did a firmware update 3.607 after the device did its magic.

Just wondering if the firmware update effects the clock or device ie do I need to do another run of the device?

Last edited by con219; 04-11-2015 at 08:46 AM.
post #11616 of 11639 Old 04-11-2015, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
As I had packed the VT20 away about 20 months ago I noticed it did a firmware update 3.607 after the device did its magic. Just wondering if the firmware update effects the clock or device ie do I need to do another run of the device?
Updates Skype per Panasonic's website.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/...a/down_oc.html
post #11617 of 11639 Old 04-12-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Updates Skype per Panasonic's website.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/...a/down_oc.html

Thanks
post #11618 of 11639 Old 04-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just had my first reset since the install. Scared me for a sec, but a power cycle later I was back up and running.
audiodane likes this.
post #11619 of 11639 Old 04-17-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser View Post
Just had my first reset since the install. Scared me for a sec, but a power cycle later I was back up and running.
Looking forward for my first experience as well.

So far the blacks look wonderful. It is amusing that the more and more i watch the VT20 now the better the picture looks. i think I am adapting to it.

I recall when I first got the 65Vt60 the blacks left me in awe. I suppose I was going from a risen black VT20 to a reference black Vt60.

I will notice the difference when I unbox the vt60 when our spare room becomes available but for now the VT20 is not embarrassing itself.

My thanks goes to people like mironto and audiodane who rather than bitch found a solution against all the negativity from the so called experts out there who said it was irreversible or would not disclose the solution.

And shame to Panasonic who could have easily come up with audiodane's solution and given their resources I propose even better eg disabling the schematic path for the mll clock altogether hence no need to do a reset.
Vader424242 likes this.

Last edited by con219; 04-17-2015 at 11:03 PM.
post #11620 of 11639 Old 04-18-2015, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Looking forward for my first experience as well.

So far the blacks look wonderful. It is amusing that the more and more i watch the VT20 now the better the picture looks. i think I am adapting to it.

I recall when I first got the 65Vt60 the blacks left me in awe. I suppose I was going from a risen black VT20 to a reference black Vt60.

I will notice the difference when I unbox the vt60 when our spare room becomes available but for now the VT20 is not embarrassing itself.

My thanks goes to people like mironto and audiodane who rather than bitch found a solution against all the negativity from the so called experts out there who said it was irreversible or would not disclose the solution.

And shame to Panasonic who could have easily come up with audiodane's solution and given their resources I propose even better eg disabling the schematic path for the mll clock altogether hence no need to do a reset.
Has Panasonic every commented on this fix? If so, I haven't seen it. I guess they wouldn't as they would like to distances themselves from the rising black problem as much as they can. But I would still like to know what they think about this fix.
Vader424242 likes this.

Last edited by eaayoung; 04-19-2015 at 09:12 AM.
post #11621 of 11639 Old 04-19-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Has Panasonic every commented on this fix? I so, I haven't seen it. I guess they wouldn't as they would like to distances themselves from the rising black problem as much as they can. But I would still like to know what they think about this fix.

I think you know the answer to that question.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #11622 of 11639 Old 04-20-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
I think you know the answer to that question.
I went to the shed to get my road bike ( push bike) and glanced at the Panasonic 65VT20 box and had to chuckle when I read on box Infinite black pro ... deep blacks. also I still have the promo commercial on the TV from Panasonic on my hard drive which was promoting the blacks on the TV with claims how black can you go.
post #11623 of 11639 Old 04-21-2015, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Hello good people,

This will be short and sweet as I'm at work right now..

I am just coming off a three-week-long travel schedule and I am WAY behind everywhere (work, home, PMCv2, etc) ... Also, during a particularly windy storm on Sunday, one of our trees came down across two of my neighbor's fences so I'm working to repair them. Also, my wife is serving on jury duty all week (no joke, I couldn't make this stuff up) ... Also, ... well you get the idea. busy, busy, busy...

I have several days to get a handful of PMCv2 units shipped out by the 25th, and I also hope to post a more detailed update on the Gx2x model testing that we were working on in recent weeks. Hopefully this weekend I'll get an email update posted..

cheers,
..dane
post #11624 of 11639 Old 04-29-2015, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Updates posted, emails sent, new software released (now supporting manual mode!), orders to-date filled and shipped...

Whew, it's been a busy month.

On a related note, a customer in Australia is looking for support on his U20 .. Unfortunately I don't always know what model a customer has, so I can't help him out much... Does anyone with a U20 have any PMCv1/v2 feedback that they could provide?

cheers,
..dane
post #11625 of 11639 Old 05-01-2015, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello Dane I received the PMCv2 in the mail today and installed it on my th-p42pz80u and it worked great! this tv always looked great but now its fantastic. Blacks are very dark again! I'm impressed to say the least and I also have a tc-65vt60 which is darker but for a 7 year old tv the ole PZ80 looks great thanks to all your work! Thanks Again!
AVfile and audiodane like this.

Last edited by ddcook10; 05-08-2015 at 06:14 AM.
post #11626 of 11639 Old 05-07-2015, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Just thought I'd leave feedback, I actually received the pmcv2 a few weeks ago (but bought a new toy so got side tracked).

Firstly I can't fault the service from audiodane, extremely quick despatch, very well packaged.

The device itself made a massive improvement on a PZ80, the TV is used in a spare room and does the job well. For an old TV especially for the price it cost me I'm pleased with the performance. I'd say that the pmcv2 is an ESSENTIAL accessory for anyone with a compatible plasma.

The black levels did look light when I picked up the (used) panel, it had over 7000 hours but it wasn't until I connected the pmcv2 and did the reset that it hit me how much the mll had actually raised.

I'd go as far to say that in a dark room these old Panasonic plasmas put to shame the majority of lcd TVs.
post #11627 of 11639 Old 05-07-2015, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay AVF View Post
The device itself made a massive improvement on a PZ80, the TV is used in a spare room and does the job well.

I'd go as far to say that in a dark room these old Panasonic plasmas put to shame the majority of lcd TVs.

Same here and I agree. Just picked up a new AS800 (as I gave up trying to find a VT50 or 60) which had local LED dimming to achieve "black" but it is not as consistent as the old PZ80.

- AVStefan

Last edited by AVfile; Today at 08:48 AM.
post #11628 of 11639 Old 05-08-2015, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is it official that we Viera G20/25 series owners are out of luck due to incompatibility (PMCv2) ?

50 inch Panasonic Viera G20
46 inch Panasonic Viera G10
50 inch Pioneer Elite 111FD (ISF-Calibrated by Chad B)
post #11629 of 11639 Old 05-11-2015, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcook10 View Post
Hello Dane I received the PMCv2 in the mail today and installed it on my th-p42pz80u and it worked great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay AVF View Post
Just thought I'd leave feedback, I actually received the pmcv2 a few weeks ago (but bought a new toy so got side tracked).
AWESOME -- Thanks to both of you for your kind words. If you are interested in providing feedback on the PMCv2 feedback page as well, I'd sure appreciate it. http://audiodane.dandk.org/pmcv1-feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34HFX83 View Post
Is it official that we Viera G20/25 series owners are out of luck due to incompatibility (PMCv2) ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilisco View Post
G25 doesn't work for sure.
Yes, Adam confirmed his G25 wouldn't work even with the new manual method that is now shipping with PMCv2 units. There was a VT25 customer overseas whose TV would shut off when the PMCv2 attempted to do its job -- which tells me the PMCv2 was properly detecting things but that the automatic timing function may have been slightly "off" with that model. So in their case, the updated manual trigger method SHOULD work.

So there is still some question as to whether or not these models are supported with the new manual method. Again-- Adam's G25 would never show any response. But the manual method has not yet been tested on a G20 or any of the Vx2x line either, so there is still some unknown.

cheers,
..dane
post #11630 of 11639 Old 05-15-2015, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got my PMCv2 yesterday and installed it in my 58V10. Everything seemed to go according to plan. It seemed to do the reset promptly and then the LED blinked. The TV was blank and when I turned it off and on it worked as described. The LED has stopped blinking, but I assume that is normal. I didn't really run a control test per se or take pictures, but I re-ran the DVE calibration disc and recalibrated the settings. There didn't seem to be a big change in my brightness settings, but there seemed to be a big change in contrast. I was able to set it to max setting without washing out the whites.

My non-scientific test was watching Game of Thrones. There are a lot of dark scenes and I had been noticing that a lot of the dark images were really looking quite grainy, if that makes sense. Everything is now looking very clear with the detail restored.

I haven't been on this site as much lately, but I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. This device really seems to work well and my picture looks great.

Thanks for developing this Dane!
audiodane likes this.
post #11631 of 11639 Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

I am wondering if the market is saturated.. I have plenty of these things left, only shipping a few per week at this point.. Maybe I built way too many the second time around..

Does everyone who wants one, have one, at this point?

Maybe I can find something else to do with them?

..dane
post #11632 of 11639 Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I want one, just waiting for it to fit into my budget, got lots going on. I've got a X1 that could use it.
audiodane likes this.
post #11633 of 11639 Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 109
TH-42PZ700U does it work on this model?
post #11634 of 11639 Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylJosie View Post
TH-42PZ700U does it work on this model?
I suspect that TH-42PZ700U is like my TH-42PZ77U. You need a different header for this to work. I have used the manual method with Adreno board. The black level risen after 300 hours (I have before and after colorimeter measurements). I only had 340 hours on that set as it is a bedroom TV. A lot of people were saying 2007 plasmas were not affected, but I have the opposite experience. After reset the black level came back.
post #11635 of 11639 Old Today, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
I am wondering if the market is saturated.. I have plenty of these things left, only shipping a few per week at this point.. Maybe I built way too many the second time around..

..dane

Please find a way to make it work with Viera G20/25 series and you'll gain new customers

50 inch Panasonic Viera G20
46 inch Panasonic Viera G10
50 inch Pioneer Elite 111FD (ISF-Calibrated by Chad B)
post #11636 of 11639 Old Today, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I remember your previous post about not seeing the reset happen at 150 hrs and I just decided to check my hour counter. I have put over 200 hrs on the PMCV1 and haven't seen the reset yet.

It is now at 4395 hrs. At the rate I'm going will never get to 30,000 hrs like some people (wow)!
I think my first reset just happened finally after 300 hrs (now at 4480, was installed at 4180). PZ80 model.

- AVStefan
post #11637 of 11639 Old Today, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

..dane
I could potentially want 3 of these things.. how much is shipping to Canada?
post #11638 of 11639 Unread Today, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom View Post
I suspect that TH-42PZ700U is like my TH-42PZ77U. You need a different header for this to work. I have used the manual method with Adreno board. The black level risen after 300 hours (I have before and after colorimeter measurements). I only had 340 hours on that set as it is a bedroom TV. A lot of people were saying 2007 plasmas were not affected, but I have the opposite experience. After reset the black level came back.
Wow, really? The same mechanism on 2008-2010 also works on a 2007 (with the appropriate connector)? That's really awesome, and (I think) the first I've heard of that! Do you know what kind of connector it requires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34HFX83 View Post
Please find a way to make it work with Viera G20/25 series and you'll gain new customers
sigh.... you have *NO IDEA* how much I want that too. And if I had one of those sets handy, I would be all over it for an entire weekend investigating .. Alas, I did the honest best I could using Adam as my remote test-bed. We tried three different methods, the final one being the brute-force approach (that is in the updated v2.2 software that new orders contain), but no-luck. The brute force does have handy uses, but the Gx2x models seem to not be one of them.

I don't think Miro's had any replies about using his method on the Gx2x family either (success or failure).. We'll have to wait until someone with that model can figure it out..

Quote:
I think my first reset just happened finally after 300 hrs (now at 4480, was installed at 4180). PZ80 model.
Hmm, all I can figure is that the timing counter must "count time" differently.. From the start we knew CLEARING the counter was the fix, but to this date we have not definitively determined HOW the counting method works.. Maybe even my conservative 150hr mark is off on some models. The new brute force / manual trigger method can be used in those cases, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathogen View Post
I could potentially want 3 of these things.. how much is shipping to Canada?
NOTHING! Well, no more than domestic, anyway. We had a test case shipped a few months back and everything went very smoothly.. Except it took about four weeks to arrive. No import charges, no additional shipping or handling fees. Canada is included in the standard "domestic" purchase category. Yay!

..dane
post #11639 of 11639 Unread Today, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Wow, really? The same mechanism on 2008-2010 also works on a 2007 (with the appropriate connector)? That's really awesome, and (I think) the first I've heard of that! Do you know what kind of connector it requires?
I don't have the part number for the connector. I ended up using pins instead it is cumbersome and dangerous but it worked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page