Panasonic 11G/12G/13G black levels have seemingly doubled overnight? - Page 389 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2015, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWells55 View Post
Any feedback from people who have reset units with a lot of hours on them and then put many more hours on? Since these rising blacks were by design, I imagine there has to be some sort of impact on the set by reverting to the original levels.

I ask because I just picked up a used P50G10 built in April 2009. Entering the service menu shows a whopping 7,211 hours of usage and 4120 on/off cycles.

As you'd expect, the blacks are shot accordingly. As much as I'd love to revert the set to new, I'm a little hesitant to do so given the age and heavy usage of the panel.

Perhaps I'd be better off going the homebrew route and editing the EEPROM to something like 500 hours of usage (so after the first black rise step) rather than going all the way to 0?
The PMCv2 has an "undo" switch that, well, undoes the clear, in case you are nervous about anything. That said, there are folks with well over 10k out there using the PCMv1/v2 just fine.. If you want to force it to 500hrs though, yes, you'll need to use mironto's DIY method..

cheers,
..dane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2015, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
I ask because I just picked up a used P50G10 built in April 2009. Entering the service menu shows a whopping 7,211 hours of usage and 4120 on/off cycles.

Perhaps I'd be better off going the homebrew route and editing the EEPROM to something like 500 hours of usage (so after the first black rise step) rather than going all the way to 0?
7210 hours isn't that much. I wouldn't hesitate to reset the tv back to 0. I'm getting ready to reset my V10. Tried to find out the number of hours today via the service menu but the instructions for checking the hours in the service menu didn't work on my V10. Even if mine is over 10,000 I'll reset it back to 0.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Just reset my 54" V10 and all I can say, the result were dramatic. My set had over 10,300 hours on it so the rise was significant. I've had my PMCv2 since October, 2014 but never got around to installing it. Wish I hadn't waited. Even my wife could not believe how much better the picture was improved by the PMCv2. Wish I could upload the before and after photos, but can't get it to work tonight. I try later when not so tired.

Thanks to Dane and everyone who contributed to the thread and the fix!
audiodane likes this.

Last edited by eaayoung; 05-27-2015 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Any feedback from people who have reset units with a lot of hours on them and then put many more hours on? Since these rising blacks were by design, I imagine there has to be some sort of impact on the set by reverting to the original levels.

As you'd expect, the blacks are shot accordingly. As much as I'd love to revert the set to new, I'm a little hesitant to do so given the age and heavy usage of the panel.

I am not sure how many actual hours are on my V10, but it has reset at least 5 or 6 times since adding the PMC1, and it still looks great and I haven't seen anything weird happen.
audiodane likes this.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
The PMCv2 has an "undo" switch that, well, undoes the clear, in case you are nervous about anything. That said, there are folks with well over 10k out there using the PCMv1/v2 just fine.. If you want to force it to 500hrs though, yes, you'll need to use mironto's DIY method..

cheers,
..dane
10,000 hours, huh? Well damn, so much for my worries. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I wonder what in the world Panasonic was thinking/afraid of when they decided to implement the rising black levels?

Now it's a matter of deciding how to go about this. On one hand, the PCM being "set it and forget it" is extremely convenient. On the other hand, DIY gives me an excuse to do some EEPROM programming which is always fun...
Old Today, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This past Sunday I had a touch-up calibration done on both my Panasonic V-50 and V-10. The calibrator asked what had I done to the V-10 as my black levels were as good as it was the first time he calibrated my set at the 200 hrs. mark. I explained it to him that I purchased and installed a PMCv1. I introduced him to this site and he was going to pass it on to some of his customers as he thought that the improvement was simply amazing.
Great work Dane
Old Today, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcroadking View Post
This past Sunday I had a touch-up calibration done on both my Panasonic V-50 and V-10. The calibrator asked what had I done to the V-10 as my black levels were as good as it was the first time he calibrated my set at the 200 hrs. mark. I explained it to him that I purchased and installed a PMCv1. I introduced him to this site and he was going to pass it on to some of his customers as he thought that the improvement was simply amazing. Great work Dane
Orders for Dane may pickup.