Panasonic 11G/12G/13G black levels have seemingly doubled overnight? - Page 395 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 275Likes

post #11821 of 11842 Old 05-04-2016, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Assuming you do not run out, I'm going to buy one. It's certainly part of my life plan at the moment, and I don't even really have a life plan. It may be the only thing on my life agenda. I need to get out more.
audiodane likes this.

Last edited by B T C; 05-04-2016 at 05:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11822 of 11842 Old 05-07-2016, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi there!

The black on both my 42GW20 and 42G20 turning to gray has been bugging me for some time now and thankfully I've stumbled onto this great thread. Has anybody tried resetting these models?
post #11823 of 11842 Old 05-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillendreher View Post
The black on both my 42GW20 and 42G20 turning to gray has been bugging me for some time now and thankfully I've stumbled onto this great thread. Has anybody tried resetting these models?
Hi Pillendreher,

Unfortunately, the data that I have indicates the G20 will not benefit from the currently understood panel reset method. The GW20 I don't know anything about, however. Is it more closely related to a G20 or a GT20? I have found the Gx2x models generally are not supported, where the Vx2x models generally are supported. I say generally because there are documented exceptions all over the map. Check the PMCv2 order page and you'll see what is currently known (that *I* know about, anyway)..

..dane
post #11824 of 11842 Old 05-14-2016, 11:53 AM

The GW20 is like a "German version" of the G20. It has an DVB-S2 Tuner.

That is really unfortunate. If you pay close attention, you realize that you're getting gray instead of black. It's really annoying.
post #11825 of 11842 Old 05-19-2016, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I finally installed the board today, checked the hours first- 6473:43 2247 cycles. After the reset it looks great, now I just need to recalibrate, don't know if it changed things, but I'll bet it did enough to need a tweak.
audiodane likes this.
post #11826 of 11842 Old 05-20-2016, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
I finally installed the board today, checked the hours first- 6473:43 2247 cycles. After the reset it looks great, now I just need to recalibrate, don't know if it changed things, but I'll bet it did enough to need a tweak.

Great to hear, Matt, thank you! I recall several people saying that while it obviously increases dynamic range, they did not need a recalibration due to the MLL reduction. YMMV of course, so we all look forward to you letting us know!

cheers,
..dane
post #11827 of 11842 Old 05-31-2016, 12:03 PM

I have a Th-50pz85u. It is "unsupported". Does that mean it does not suffer from the rise or that the devise does not work with this model?
post #11828 of 11842 Old 05-31-2016, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
I have a Th-50pz85u. It is "unsupported". Does that mean it does not suffer from the rise or that the devise does not work with this model?
Unsupported or untested?

If memory serves the PZ85 is a FutureShop model and very similar to the PZ80, which is supported.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #11829 of 11842 Old 06-01-2016, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
Unsupported or untested?

If memory serves the PZ85 is a FutureShop model and very similar to the PZ80, which is supported.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk
Unverified / Unknown models:
NOTE: Discounts are available to customers buying a PMCv2 for an ‘unverified’ model! Buy a PMCv2 (at regular price) and let us know how it goes — if it works, we’ll give you a 50% refund! And if it doesn’t work, we’ll give you a 100% refund! (Fine Print: Discount percentage does not include eBay shipping fees. Discount must be negotiated via email with me before the purchase is completed. eBay customers must communicate with me directly through eBay for proper record-keeping. Discount feedback must be received within 30-days of the purchase date to qualify for discount. My decision is final. [In other words, I really am a nice guy, as long as you’re not trying to take advantage of me.])
pre-2008: Generally not expected to be supported
2008: Tx-xxxHD18xx
2008: Tx-xxPx85xx
2008: Tx-xxPx850xx
2009: Tx-PxxC1xx
2009: Tx-PxxU1xx
2010: Tx-PxxC2xx
2010: Tx-PxxS2xx
2010: Tx-PxxS20xx
2010: Tx-PxxX2xx
2010: Tx-PxxX20xx
2010: Tx-xxPS24xx
2010: Tx-xxPX24xx
post-2010: Generally not expected to be supported

Unverified. Think I'll buy one although the blacks look pretty good on this TH-50pz85u with 5000 hrs.
post #11830 of 11842 Old 06-04-2016, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 130
My 54" V10 doesn't get much use after we moved it from my home office into a game room shortly after I updated it with Audiodane's board. But after moving some rooms around and making our game room into an activity room, I'm finally getting to see what my V10 can do. When watching The Hobbit - Battle of the Five Armies yesterday, I was amazed how good the picture was on my V10 with Dane's board. The scene in the dungeons with the coins looked incredible. Of course I had to compare those same scenes on my 60" ZT. And for the first time I was disappointed. The ZT's picture seem to lack the deep and rich colors of the V10. I can't recall exactly how long ago I had my ZT calibrated but thinking it's been a couple of years. Looking like it time for a touch up.
audiodane likes this.
post #11831 of 11842 Old 06-04-2016, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I'm kind of feeling the same way with my lowly X1. After I added the board the blacks are so rich and deep again I'm watching it more. Wish there was a similar board for my Samsung, the blacks on that are getting really more gray than black.
audiodane likes this.
post #11832 of 11842 Old 06-04-2016, 08:37 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
My 54" V10 doesn't get much use after we moved it from my home office into a game room shortly after I updated it with Audiodane's board. But after moving some rooms around and making our game room into an activity room, I'm finally getting to see what my V10 can do. When watching The Hobbit - Battle of the Five Armies yesterday, I was amazed how good the picture was on my V10 with Dane's board. The scene in the dungeons with the coins looked incredible. Of course I had to compare those same scenes on my 60" ZT. And for the first time I was disappointed. The ZT's picture seem to lack the deep and rich colors of the V10. I can't recall exactly how long ago I had my ZT calibrated but thinking it's been a couple of years. Looking like it time for a touch up.
Yep time to call Chad B! My ZT60 pops now since he calibrated it last month. They say that a yearly calibration is recommended.
post #11833 of 11842 Old 06-05-2016, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 130
The blacks don't look as good to me. Chad did mine as well. Any numbers on how much these TV drift?
post #11834 of 11842 Old 07-05-2016, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

I just posted a special for flat $10 international shipping on eBay.. But that has be wondering -- would any international folks like to try a PayPal direct purchase? I could maybe stand one or two test cases..

Also, I'm wondering if any folks around here are still on the fence and could use some incentive? How about a bulk buy ... For each one to commit to purchase, that's $1 off for everyone in the bulk buy. So, if five people commit, that's $5 off each person's purchase. Ten folks? Ten bucks off- - each. Twenty folks? Twenty bucks off -- EACH. Probably have to draw the line at $20 off ... I may loose some money on this deal, but I'm in a festive mood. It's summer!

Hmm, maybe I could accept commitments in July, and ship in August. I could even make it retroactive to July 1st, for a few folks who have purchased over the past couple of days.. I'd probably have to setup a special page for this. Not sure how the details would work yet. Might have to require up-front payment and issue partial refunds when I ship based upon the number purchased in July or something..

Any takers? Any other ideas?
..dane
post #11835 of 11842 Old 07-06-2016, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
I just posted a special for flat $10 international shipping on eBay.. But that has be wondering -- would any international folks like to try a PayPal direct purchase? I could maybe stand one or two test cases..

Also, I'm wondering if any folks around here are still on the fence and could use some incentive? How about a bulk buy ... For each one to commit to purchase, that's $1 off for everyone in the bulk buy. So, if five people commit, that's $5 off each person's purchase. Ten folks? Ten bucks off- - each. Twenty folks? Twenty bucks off -- EACH. Probably have to draw the line at $20 off ... I may loose some money on this deal, but I'm in a festive mood. It's summer!

Hmm, maybe I could accept commitments in July, and ship in August. I could even make it retroactive to July 1st, for a few folks who have purchased over the past couple of days.. I'd probably have to setup a special page for this. Not sure how the details would work yet. Might have to require up-front payment and issue partial refunds when I ship based upon the number purchased in July or something..

..dane
I'm going to want a unit around late August/Labor Day, and I'm definitely willing to commit. I'm going to be using it on a TC-P42S2, which I believe is an unverified model. Based upon what I've read, I have high hopes that it will work for this model.
audiodane likes this.
post #11836 of 11842 Old 07-06-2016, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

..dane
Sure I'll go for it. Let me know when you have any details.
fussy viewer in Canada
audiodane likes this.
post #11837 of 11842 Old 07-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

..dane
You could count me in for a bulk buy, but there doesn't seem to be much interest. I was unaware the MLL problem had been fixed, let alone by both DIY and black-box solutions. As I read the DIY instructions, I thought that I'd be working at the limits of my competence, but could manage the project. However, a black-box that automatically resets the MLL values every 150 hours is much more appealing.

After years of accepting that my Panasonic 54V10 was not the display it was originally represented to be, I am pleased to learn that I can return the set to its original performance, and stop worrying about replacing it (at least for a few more years).
audiodane likes this.
post #11838 of 11842 Old 07-18-2016, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

You are right, there has not been much feedback. I think the issue is the limited visibility due to lack of marketing. Anybody good at graphic design that wants to make a banner ad in exchange for a free unit?

Also, I think that I may just run an August $10 off coupon and call it done, rather than trying to figure out bulk buys, etc..

..dane
post #11839 of 11842 Old 07-18-2016, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You are right, there has not been much feedback. I think the issue is the limited visibility due to lack of marketing. Anybody good at graphic design that wants to make a banner ad in exchange for a free unit?

Also, I think that I may just run an August $10 off coupon and call it done, rather than trying to figure out bulk buys, etc..

..dane
Well then... I'll order one today. Thanks.
audiodane likes this.
post #11840 of 11842 Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

I received my PMCv2 yesterday. It's a small wafer with tiny switches and thin wires attached to a multi-prong plug. Installation was a snap. For the moment, I've left the board hanging outside the space covered by Panasonic's pop-off plastic cover. The wafer can only be seen when looking at the rear of the panel.

The improvement in my panel's picture was stark and immediate! Inky blacks returned, with corresponding improvements in color and contrast. As advertised, the display has been reset to its original, highly praised condition.

It's a shame Panasonic designed a great TV to worsen with time, and a wonder that audiodane and mironto have developed such an elegant solution to undo Panasonic's ill-advised engineering.
Vader424242 and eaayoung like this.

Last edited by Bill Shakespeare; Yesterday at 03:46 PM. Reason: grammar review
post #11841 of 11842 Old Today, 05:23 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

..dane
Hi Dane,

Glad I saw these posts because I finally drug my plasma out of the garage and set it up in the living room for the in-laws. I've used it so infrequently I doubt I have any issues yet but would hate for it to be out of stock or no longer sold when I do get around to having any issues.

Did you decide if you are going to do a group buy or discount coupon?
post #11842 of 11842 Old Today, 06:38 PM

Liked: 11
Panny black level restorer

I'm ready to buy one. Will there be an August discount?

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays