Panasonic 11G/12G/13G black levels have seemingly doubled overnight? - Page 397 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 312Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11881 of 11908 Old 11-28-2016, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
bguzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 948
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
AWESOME results, bguzman! Thanks for posting your photos!

Regarding your purchase timing; I don't know too many stores that will honor something like a cyber monday coupon before or after sale day ... that's kind of how it works ... but -- shoot me an email and let's see what we can work out.

cheers,
..dane
Thanks for the quick response, I sent you an email. I'm not looking for the full Cyber Monday discount just the $10 coupon I forgot to use in my excitement when I placed my order. Even if there's no discount I'm still loving this device and spreading the results on Blu-ray.com. It's that good.
thanks.
Ben
audiodane likes this.

HT, Mitsubishi HC6500, 106" screen, Panasonic TC-P50G10, Oppo BDP-103, Toshiba A35, Panasonic LX-1000U, Pioneer Elite CLD-95, Faroudja NRS, DirecTV H21-100, PS3, Pioneer Elite SC-85, Def Tech; SM 450, CLR 2002, BP2X, Klipsch KSB 1.1(X4), Pro Sub 100, Polk PSW125
Old School, Sony PS-5500->Denon 103r->AU-320 SUT, Dual 1219->Shure M91ED, Kyocera DA-610cx, Pioneer SA-1000, Polk Monitor 10A

Last edited by bguzman; 11-29-2016 at 12:13 AM.
bguzman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11882 of 11908 Old 11-29-2016, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
bguzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 948
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 518
audiodane is da man, thank you sir.
Vader424242 and audiodane like this.

HT, Mitsubishi HC6500, 106" screen, Panasonic TC-P50G10, Oppo BDP-103, Toshiba A35, Panasonic LX-1000U, Pioneer Elite CLD-95, Faroudja NRS, DirecTV H21-100, PS3, Pioneer Elite SC-85, Def Tech; SM 450, CLR 2002, BP2X, Klipsch KSB 1.1(X4), Pro Sub 100, Polk PSW125
Old School, Sony PS-5500->Denon 103r->AU-320 SUT, Dual 1219->Shure M91ED, Kyocera DA-610cx, Pioneer SA-1000, Polk Monitor 10A
bguzman is offline  
post #11883 of 11908 Old 12-03-2016, 06:30 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and I'm posting this message here to get help from you that have installed the PMCv2 device. Sorry in advance for my bad english but I'm not native language (I'm Italian) but I hope to be understood.
I own a TX-P42G10E with serious black level issues so I ordered the PMCv2 from Audiodane's ebay page, at the end of October I received the device, installed it following the instruction guide contained in the packet but It didn't restore the original black level (the panel remained "grey" as before).
First I tried the automatic operation but it didn't work, so I also tried the manual operation (several times) but it didn't work again. Then I tried the undo operation (but I don't know if it worked because I couldn't see differences in black levels...) and tried again the automatic and manual restoration again but the black levels remained the same as before!
So I also tried to update the TV firmware from the preinstalled original one (1.206) to the latest available version (1.216 for G10E model) but the device doesn’t restore the black level not even with with this firmware (automatically and manually).
The device is supposed to work because I followed Dane's guide step by step and the LEDs blink properly as described, the TV shows no picture when turned on after the installation and my TV model is supported so I haven't any explanation why it doesn't restore black level. Obviously I followed the non-US model procedure, I also tried the US version and in fact the LEDs don't blink in this mode.
I really can't understand why the black levels aren't restored, I haven't technical instruments to measure it but my eyes see grey as before the installation (it's not light black, it's actually more grey than black! I’ve seen some pictures of other TV owners and the difference between before and after is very remarkable).
Now I only hope that the TV doesn’t recognise the current timer status as “new” and from now on restarts to raise the black level again!
Has someone any idea why my TV remains grey instead going back to the original black? I would appreciate every suggestions. I hope I can find a solution here on this forum since I haven't had email replyes from Dane.


Thanks in advance to everyone.
Giacomo
GiacomoITA is offline  
 
post #11884 of 11908 Old 12-03-2016, 06:39 AM
Member
 
mironto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hi Giacomo, I have the same TX-P42G10E and Audiodane's PMCv2 restores the black level without problems. What is your brightness level set to?
audiodane likes this.

Panasonic plasma black level restoration
Step-by-step guide for restoring the initial MLL on a Panasonic G10 plasma
mironto is offline  
post #11885 of 11908 Old 12-03-2016, 06:46 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mironto View Post
Hi Giacomo, I have the same TX-P42G10E and Audiodane's PMCv2 restores the black level without problems. What is your brightness level set to?
Thank you Mironto for your instant reply!
My brightness level was set to 0 and is set to 0 again.
I posted my request here because I don't know if Dane has received my emails, I would have sent him a PM but I can't because I'm a newbie with less than 15 posts.
Bye,
Giacomo
GiacomoITA is offline  
post #11886 of 11908 Old 12-03-2016, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post
This sucks! Tried the order at 8:30PM EST and the coupon expired. The coupon must have been Greenwich time.

Guess I'll have to wait until next year's Cyber Monday if they are still available.
Yep, I always miss out on deals like this. I was shopping for my wife on Cyber Monday and was totally oblivious to this. I only looked here today because the thread was up top and showed up on the main forum screen. Still using my 2008 TH-46PZ800U with over 25,000 hours on it!
VA_DaveB is online now  
post #11887 of 11908 Old 12-03-2016, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
audiodane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiacomoITA View Post
Hi everyone,
I own a TX-P42G10E with serious black level issues so I ordered the PMCv2 from Audiodane's ebay page, at the end of October I received the device, installed it following the instruction guide contained in the packet but It didn't restore the original black level (the panel remained "grey" as before).
First I tried the automatic operation but it didn't work, so I also tried the manual operation (several times) but it didn't work again. Then I tried the undo operation (but I don't know if it worked because I couldn't see differences in black levels...) and tried again the automatic and manual restoration again but the black levels remained the same as before!
So I also tried to update the TV firmware from the preinstalled original one (1.206) to the latest available version (1.216 for G10E model) but the device doesn’t restore the black level not even with with this firmware (automatically and manually).
The device is supposed to work because I followed Dane's guide step by step and the LEDs blink properly as described, the TV shows no picture when turned on after the installation and my TV model is supported so I haven't any explanation why it doesn't restore black level. Obviously I followed the non-US model procedure, I also tried the US version and in fact the LEDs don't blink in this mode.
I really can't understand why the black levels aren't restored, I haven't technical instruments to measure it but my eyes see grey as before the installation (it's not light black, it's actually more grey than black! I’ve seen some pictures of other TV owners and the difference between before and after is very remarkable).
Now I only hope that the TV doesn’t recognise the current timer status as “new” and from now on restarts to raise the black level again!
Has someone any idea why my TV remains grey instead going back to the original black? I would appreciate every suggestions. I hope I can find a solution here on this forum since I haven't had email replyes from Dane.
Hi Giacomo. Sorry, we're into the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays here in the USA, and it's becoming REALLY busy at our house.. I was also on work travel from Wed-Fri of this past week, which slowed everything down even more. All told I have around 100 emails from the last three days have are still marked "unread."

Hmm, that sounds strange that the device hasn't seemed to work for you. As mironto already mentioned, it's been proven to work on that model before. Based on what I bolded above in your previous post, it looks like the PMCv2 is, in-fact, doing exactly what it's supposed to do. What mode do you have your screen on? Do you have it on cinema, game, custom, THX, etc? Also, since the LED blink patterns and TV response seem to be occurring as described in the instructions (non-USA instructions, of course), you can flip the UND/GO switch towards UND ("undo") and repeat the process (TV out of standby). This will put whatever value was in your TV to begin with back into your TV, as if the PMCv2 was never even installed. You can then flip the switch back to "RUN" and have the PMCv2 reset the panel counter once again. You can repeat this back-and-forth as many times as you'd like -- no damage will occur to your TV at all. That way you can check in a dark room before-and-after ... you can change settings on your TV (brightness, "THX" mode, etc) and try before/after again. I am curious along the same lines as mironto that you might have some other settings on your TV that are making the background more grey than expected. Do you have a dark Bluray movie that you can put in and pause on a particularly dark scene and perform before-after comparisons using known dark screen content?

Let us know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Yep, I always miss out on deals like this. I was shopping for my wife on Cyber Monday and was totally oblivious to this. I only looked here today because the thread was up top and showed up on the main forum screen. Still using my 2008 TH-46PZ800U with over 25,000 hours on it!
Sorry you missed the deal, VA_DaveB. If you want to subscribe to the update mailing list, next time I run a special you'll be notified! I haven't yet decided if I'm going to do a Christmas special yet or not. The Cyber Monday deal was a pretty good success in reducing my stock.. Alternatively, if anyone has any quality green (532nm) laser pointers for trade, shoot me an note (here, email, website all ok)... I'm in the market for several.. (no, I don't want a $5 eBay special)

cheers,
..dane
audiodane is offline  
post #11888 of 11908 Old 12-04-2016, 05:06 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
Hi Giacomo. Sorry, we're into the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays here in the USA, and it's becoming REALLY busy at our house.. I was also on work travel from Wed-Fri of this past week, which slowed everything down even more. All told I have around 100 emails from the last three days have are still marked "unread."

Hmm, that sounds strange that the device hasn't seemed to work for you. As mironto already mentioned, it's been proven to work on that model before. Based on what I bolded above in your previous post, it looks like the PMCv2 is, in-fact, doing exactly what it's supposed to do. What mode do you have your screen on? Do you have it on cinema, game, custom, THX, etc? Also, since the LED blink patterns and TV response seem to be occurring as described in the instructions (non-USA instructions, of course), you can flip the UND/GO switch towards UND ("undo") and repeat the process (TV out of standby). This will put whatever value was in your TV to begin with back into your TV, as if the PMCv2 was never even installed. You can then flip the switch back to "RUN" and have the PMCv2 reset the panel counter once again. You can repeat this back-and-forth as many times as you'd like -- no damage will occur to your TV at all. That way you can check in a dark room before-and-after ... you can change settings on your TV (brightness, "THX" mode, etc) and try before/after again. I am curious along the same lines as mironto that you might have some other settings on your TV that are making the background more grey than expected. Do you have a dark Bluray movie that you can put in and pause on a particularly dark scene and perform before-after comparisons using known dark screen content?

Let us know how it goes!



Sorry you missed the deal, VA_DaveB. If you want to subscribe to the update mailing list, next time I run a special you'll be notified! I haven't yet decided if I'm going to do a Christmas special yet or not. The Cyber Monday deal was a pretty good success in reducing my stock.. Alternatively, if anyone has any quality green (532nm) laser pointers for trade, shoot me an note (here, email, website all ok)... I'm in the market for several.. (no, I don't want a $5 eBay special)

cheers,
..dane
Hi Dane,
don't worry for the missed emails, I posted here in the forum because I didn't know how to contact you.
I don't think it's your device fault and it sounds strange to me too, in fact as I said before and you bolded, it seems to work because the LEDs blink properly as described in your instructions (both in automatic and manual mode, and UNDO operations) and also my supported TV responds as described (it shows no picture when turned on after the installation).
On screen i mostly have the Game mode (with brightness at 0 and every settings, like PNR and others, on OFF) because I use TV mainly for gaming with consoles, I've tried different modes (Normal/Cinema/Dynamic) but the result doesn't change even if I set brightness -30.
I tried the reset procedure (both in automatic and manual mode) several times and the the undo back-and-forth, following step-by-step your instructions contained in the packet, that are very clear, but I can't understand if I made something wrong or if it's a problem related to my TV.
I'm not sure to have a BR movie with completely dark scenes but I compared before-after an empty screen (no source connected) and various black screens of standard TV programs and videogames. As I said, I haven't technical instruments to measure it but if I put the TV on a black screen it lights up my completely dark room even after the installation.
I think I've answered all your doubts... sorry for my long posts but I'm trying to give more information as possible to allow you to understand my problem.


Just to be sure to have done all the correct steps, I wrote down every step and I'll explain exhaustively it in the next post.
GiacomoITA is offline  
post #11889 of 11908 Old 12-04-2016, 05:10 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
For the sake of simplicity I enumerate every step and indicate in BOLD the differences between the operations, the other steps are the some for all the operations: can someone please confirm me if I made every steps correctly?



AUTOMATIC MODE RESET OPERATION
  1. I positioned the PMCv2 switches on LED ON and RUN.
  2. I turned on the TV (the TV front LED was green).
  3. I put the TV in standby mode pressing the red power button on the remote control (the TV front LED become red).
  4. I switched off power to the TV pressing the TV's front power button (the TV front LED switched off) without unplugging the power cable.
  5. I connected the PMCv2 into the service connector on the back of the TV.
  6. I switched on power to the TV pressing the TV's front power button and keeping it in standby mode (the TV front LED switched on red).
  7. The PMCv2 red and green LEDs both lighted up for about 2 seconds, the both blinked off-on-off, then both lighted up for another 2 seconds (indicating the PMCv2 2.2 software version), then only green LED lighted up for few seconds (indicating automatic mode).
  8. I turned on the TV with the remote control, the TV showed a black screen like in standby mode (the TV front LED lighted up green).
  9. The PMCv2 blinked its green LED once per second (indicating the reset).
  10. I put the TV in standby mode again pressing the red power button on the remote control (the TV front LED become red), the PMCv2 stopped blinking.
  11. I turned on the TV (standby out) with the remote control (the TV front LED lighted up green), the TV showed picture but black level was the same as before.



MANUAL MODE RESET OPERATION
  1. <li value="1">I positioned the PMCv2 switches on LED OFF and RUN.
  2. I turned on the TV (the TV front LED was green).
  3. I put the TV in standby mode pressing the red power button on the remote control (the TV front LED become red).
  4. I switched off power to the TV pressing the TV's front power button (the TV front LED switched off) without unplugging the power cable.
  5. I connected the PMCv2 into the service connector on the back of the TV.
  6. I switched on power to the TV pressing the TV's front power button and keeping it in standby mode (the TV front LED switched on red).
  7. The PMCv2 red and green LEDs both lighted up for about 2 seconds, the both blinked off-on-off, then both lighted up for another 2 seconds (indicating the PMCv2 2.2 software version), then only green LED blinked 4 times (indicating MANUAL mode).
  8. I switched the PMCv2 towards LED ON, it started blinking its red and green LEDS in alternating pattern, then I turned on the TV with the remote control, the TV showed a black screen like in standby mode (the TV front LED lighted up green).
  9. The PMCv2 continued blinking in alternating pattern, I switched PMCv2 towards LED OFF, the PMCv2 blinked its green LED 3 times once per second and, after few seconds off, green LED blinked more quickly 4 times and then off again.
  10. I put the TV in standby mode again pressing the red power button on the remote control (the TV front LED become red), the PMCv2 stopped blinking.
  11. I turned on the TV (standby out) with the remote control (the TV front LED lighted up green), the TV showed picture but black level was the same as before.



UNDO (MANUAL MODE) OPERATION
  1. <li value="1">I positioned the PMCv2 switches on LED OFF and UNDO.
  2. I turned on the TV (the TV front LED was green).
  3. I put the TV in standby mode pressing the red power button on the remote control (the TV front LED become red).
  4. I switched off power to the TV pressing the TV's front power button (the TV front LED switched off) without unplugging the power cable.
  5. I connected the PMCv2 into the service connector on the back of the TV.
  6. I switched on power to the TV pressing the TV's front power button and keeping it in standby mode (the TV front LED switched on red).
  7. The PMCv2 red and green LEDs both lighted up for about 2 seconds, the both blinked off-on-off, then both lighted up for another 2 seconds (indicating the PMCv2 2.2 software version), then only red LED blinked 4 times (indicating UNDO mode).
  8. I switched the PMCv2 towards LED ON, it started blinking its red and green LEDS in alternating pattern, then I turned on the TV with the remote control, the TV showed a black screen like in standby mode (the TV front LED lighted up green).
  9. The PMCv2 continued blinking in alternating pattern, I switched PMCv2 towards LED OFF, the PMCv2 blinked its red LED 3 times once per second and, after few seconds off, red LED blinked more quickly 4 times and then off again.
  10. I put the TV in standby mode again pressing the red power button on the remote control (the TV front LED become red), the PMCv2 stopped blinking.
  11. I turned on the TV (standby out) with the remote control (the TV front LED lighted up green), the TV showed picture but black level was the same as before.
GiacomoITA is offline  
post #11890 of 11908 Old 12-04-2016, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
audiodane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiacomoITA View Post
For the sake of simplicity I enumerate every step and indicate in BOLD the differences between the operations, the other steps are the some for all the operations: can someone please confirm me if I made every steps correctly?
Wow, maybe you should have written the user's manaul, GiacomoITA! Wonderfully detailed, thank you! Yes, it looks like everything is happening as it is supposed to, but for some reason your TV is not responding properly to the cleared MLL values. (The PMCv2 LED blink codes would have indicated an error if the device had attempted to reset the values but they "didn't stick.")

Shoot me an email over at the website (audiodane.dandk.org/about, click "contact"), let's see what we can work out.

cheers,
..dane
audiodane is offline  
post #11891 of 11908 Old 12-05-2016, 04:47 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
Wow, maybe you should have written the user's manaul, GiacomoITA! Wonderfully detailed, thank you! Yes, it looks like everything is happening as it is supposed to, but for some reason your TV is not responding properly to the cleared MLL values. (The PMCv2 LED blink codes would have indicated an error if the device had attempted to reset the values but they "didn't stick.")

Shoot me an email over at the website (audiodane.dandk.org/about, click "contact"), let's see what we can work out.

cheers,
..dane
Thanks Dane, I only tried to write it more detailed as possible because I hoped to have misunderstood the instructions and done something wrong, so at least I would had an explanation... but now this is even more strange than expected! In fact you confirm that I did everything correctly, the device seems to properly work and my supported TV hasn't particular settings.
So now I'm very confused but almost sure that it's an issue related to my TV since the PMCv2 didn’t indicate errors and I'm the only one with this problem, but I can't figure out what it could be, I can shoot you an email over at your website but I prefer posting here so everyone could read and maybe having ideas or suggestions.
First I thought it was a problem related to the firmware originally installed on my G10E model (1.206 version) so I updated it (1.216) but the black levels aren't restored not even with this FW version.
Now I left the device installed on the TV in automatic mode so it will reset the timer in the next 150 hours but, since I use TV only a pair of hours per evening, it could take months before showing the result (I know I can speed it up leaving the TV turned on for a continuous week but I prefer not).

COULD IT BE POSSIBLE THAT THE DEVICE RESETTED THE TV MLL TIMER BUT THE TV DOESN’T RESTORE THE ORIGINAL MLL BLACK LEVEL?
IS THERE AN EASY WAY (I.E. WITHOUT TECHNICAL EQUIPMENT) TO CONTROL IF THE MLL TIMER IS REALLY RESETTED?
I know how to view the hours clock count in the service menu but I think that it's different from MLL timer.

Now I'm really afraid that it could have made the situation worse because the "resetted" TV could now think “Hey, I’m brand new!” and then will start to further increase the MLL after several hours as originally designed by Panasonic! My TV’s black level is just terrible right now...

Thanks again (and sorry again for my bad English…)
GiacomoITA is offline  
post #11892 of 11908 Old 12-05-2016, 04:54 AM
Member
 
mironto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Giacomo, I suggest you take pictures of the TV in the dark room before and after reset. Make sure you use manual settings on your camera for exposure and aperture (and maybe white level).

Panasonic plasma black level restoration
Step-by-step guide for restoring the initial MLL on a Panasonic G10 plasma
mironto is offline  
post #11893 of 11908 Old 12-05-2016, 06:10 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mironto View Post
Giacomo, I suggest you take pictures of the TV in the dark room before and after reset. Make sure you use manual settings on your camera for exposure and aperture (and maybe white level).
Hi Mironto,
OK I'll do but this is not a problem of the difference between a light black before and a darker black after (as I saw in some pictures of this forum... I would like to have the black level of some of the "before" pictures), this is more like a visible grey before and the same visible gray after.
I've just tried several times the reset/undo procedures and now want to try to put the device installed and see if something happens in the next automatic reset.
Thanks
GiacomoITA is offline  
post #11894 of 11908 Old 12-07-2016, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
audiodane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiacomoITA View Post
Thanks Dane, I only tried to write it more detailed as possible because I hoped to have misunderstood the instructions and done something wrong, so at least I would had an explanation... but now this is even more strange than expected! In fact you confirm that I did everything correctly, the device seems to properly work and my supported TV hasn't particular settings.
So now I'm very confused but almost sure that it's an issue related to my TV since the PMCv2 didn’t indicate errors and I'm the only one with this problem, but I can't figure out what it could be, I can shoot you an email over at your website but I prefer posting here so everyone could read and maybe having ideas or suggestions.
First I thought it was a problem related to the firmware originally installed on my G10E model (1.206 version) so I updated it (1.216) but the black levels aren't restored not even with this FW version.
Now I left the device installed on the TV in automatic mode so it will reset the timer in the next 150 hours but, since I use TV only a pair of hours per evening, it could take months before showing the result (I know I can speed it up leaving the TV turned on for a continuous week but I prefer not).

COULD IT BE POSSIBLE THAT THE DEVICE RESETTED THE TV MLL TIMER BUT THE TV DOESN’T RESTORE THE ORIGINAL MLL BLACK LEVEL?
IS THERE AN EASY WAY (I.E. WITHOUT TECHNICAL EQUIPMENT) TO CONTROL IF THE MLL TIMER IS REALLY RESETTED?
I know how to view the hours clock count in the service menu but I think that it's different from MLL timer.

Now I'm really afraid that it could have made the situation worse because the "resetted" TV could now think “Hey, I’m brand new!” and then will start to further increase the MLL after several hours as originally designed by Panasonic! My TV’s black level is just terrible right now...

Thanks again (and sorry again for my bad English…)
Hi GiacomoITA,

The PMCv2 reset algorithm is extremely detailed. The PMCv2 device reads back the values after updating them and confirms that they are zeros; if they are not, you will get the double-blink error code (instead of the single blink success code). Additionally, the NEXT time you turn on your TV from standby mode, the PMCv2 once again reads the values; if the values are greater than 150hrs, it will once again clear them and confirm them. The result being that if, for some reason, your TV is not "remembering" the reset properly, then every time you turn on your TV, the PMCv2 would re-clear, resulting in the on-but-no-picture condition that occurs when the PMCv2 performs the clear function.

The fact that your PMCv2 is providing the success blink code, and that your TV is operating exactly as expected with regard to the MLL clearing algorithm leads me to believe that whatever the issue is, it has nothing to do with the PMCv2. I agree with mironto's recommendation to attempt to take before/after photos and share them, to help us understand what you're seeing.. I'm not sure what before-and-after photos will reveal -- maybe nothing -- but it's a good next-step.

If you want a more detailed picture into what's going on within your TV, such as reporting out what the values are (before-and-after reset), you'll need to go with mironto's DIY approach where you can physically report out the values to the terminal console. Mironto's website (links in both his and my signature lines) details his DIY approach extremely well. I am sure you would be able to follow it. Unfortunately, the PMCv2 was created for ultimate ease-of-use, not detailed user-accessible data reporting. :/

cheers,
..dane

ps. The reason I wanted you to message me privately had nothing to do with squashing this public forum communication.. it was related to something else..
audiodane is offline  
post #11895 of 11908 Old 12-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I tried to take some photos but they can't show the real condition of TV and, as I said, the before/after condition is the same so I think they're worthless.


So I also tried to leave the PMCv2 installed in automatic mode and this is what always happens:
- When I switch on power to the TV, pressing the TV's front power button, the TV shows picture. The PMCv2 red and green LEDs both lighted up for about 2 seconds, then both blinked off-on-off, then both lighted up for another 2 seconds, then only green LED lighted up for few seconds.
- When I turn on the TV from standby mode, pressing the remote control, the the TV shows picture. The PMCv2 doesn't blink.
So every time I turn on the TV from standby, it doesn't result in the on-but-no picture: the TV acts like when the device isn't installed.


As you believe that whatever the issue is, it has nothing to do with the PMCv2, I also excluded it was your device's fault so the only possibility, as I previously thought, is my TV's fault but I can't figure out what kind of problem it could be.
I had seen the huge work of Mironto in his website but I haven't the equipment to manually read the TV's values and, even if it's a very detailed procedure, I haven't the technical knowledge so I prefer not doing it to avoid making damages to the TV... but, since the device doesn't always try to reset the TV, I think that the MLL timer is now resetted and then this is not the problem.


ps: I 've sent you a PM at your website.
GiacomoITA is offline  
post #11896 of 11908 Old 12-11-2016, 09:47 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Here are the photos, sorry for the low quality but I know they are not rapresentive as an eyewitness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV turned off.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1822593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	1822601   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	1822609  
GiacomoITA is offline  
post #11897 of 11908 Old 12-11-2016, 10:09 AM
Member
 
mironto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You should take the pictures with fixed exposure and aperture to make any conclusions (set your camera to manual and set e.g. exposure to 1s and aperture to 3). And please post pictures unaltered (keeping the EXIF info from camera).

Panasonic plasma black level restoration
Step-by-step guide for restoring the initial MLL on a Panasonic G10 plasma
mironto is offline  
post #11898 of 11908 Old 12-12-2016, 02:47 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi mironto,
what do you mean with “post pictures unaltered (keeping the EXIF info from camera)”? I uploaded them just dragging that files in the space under the reply… should I make it differently? I don’t even know what is EXIF…
I had tried to take some other photos but they can't show what an eyewitness really sees. I think my photos are useless to understand my TV’s problem because photos, like others posted in this forum, could be helpful only to compare the before/after condition but my TV’s black level is always the same.
Maybe to make any conclusion about my TV's issue I can share other information about my TV's behaviour or use or settings or others, just ask for further info if you have any assumptions of the problem: before the PMCv2 installation I thought my TV suffered of the classic MLL raise, but now that even with the reset it still shows high black levels, I think it could have been a different issue but I can't figure it out.
Thanks again Mironto and Audiodane for your patience and sorry if I'm wasting your time with my problem.
Bye
GiacomoITA is offline  
post #11899 of 11908 Old 12-12-2016, 02:54 AM
Member
 
mironto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
By unaltered I mean jpeg picture directly from the camera. No resizing in app before uploading or any other modification. This way the EXIF info (containing aperture, shutter, white balance, etc. setting) in the file is retained. If the file is too big to attach to the post, use external img hosting services like imagebam.com.

Panasonic plasma black level restoration
Step-by-step guide for restoring the initial MLL on a Panasonic G10 plasma
mironto is offline  
post #11900 of 11908 Old 01-10-2017, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
audiodane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Happy Near Year, everyone!

I finally got around to counting how many PMCv2 devices that I have left ... looks to be about 70. It seems that I must have had more than I thought previously, because I've had a number of purchases over the holidays and still have 70 left. But, once these are gone, they'll be gone...

cheers,
..dane
audiodane is offline  
post #11901 of 11908 Old 01-14-2017, 08:04 AM
KMO
Advanced Member
 
KMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: England
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just ordered a PMCv2 - congratulations to all the forum members involved in this!

I've not been hanging around any AV forums for a few years - I guess I tuned out some time in 2011, so I totally missed the big discovery. I was resigned to my greys...

I only found out that a black level fix had been discovered this week, because I was busy browsing to find out whether 3D + UltraHD + HDR meant it might now be worth finding a replacement for my V10.

(My conclusion - stick with the V10 for now, especially if I can improve its blacks. I'm so picky about motion I still think of plasma as a poor substitute for CRT, so I don't fancy another downgrade to a yet-worse-motion technology.)

Anyway, scanning through the thread, I get the impression that there are as yet no reported cases of pixel misfires due to to resetting the timer, even after 6-7 years of life. Is this correct?

If so, then Panasonic's patented voltage-increase-over-time mechanism turns out to be a total dud, eh? Rendered pointless by improved panel manufacturing perhaps?

In which case I guess we're quite lucky in a way - as much as Panasonic's "panel drive" engineers have been cursed on this thread for their dubious choices, we should be belatedly praising the "panel manufacturing" engineers for creating such a well-behaved long-life panel, such that a simple timer reset works.
audiodane likes this.
KMO is offline  
post #11902 of 11908 Old 01-14-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AVfile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 2,418
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMO View Post
(My conclusion - stick with the V10 for now, especially if I can improve its blacks. I'm so picky about motion I still think of plasma as a poor substitute for CRT, so I don't fancy another downgrade to a yet-worse-motion technology.)

Anyway, scanning through the thread, I get the impression that there are as yet no reported cases of pixel misfires due to to resetting the timer, even after 6-7 years of life. Is this correct?

If so, then Panasonic's patented voltage-increase-over-time mechanism turns out to be a total dud, eh? Rendered pointless by improved panel manufacturing perhaps?

Agreed on all counts. Any fears of misfiring pixels by the engineers proved to be unfounded. I have installed 3 so far (2008-2010 models) and feel like buying a few more to keep "just in case". I made the measurements proving there is no adverse effect on gamma (the way the set responds coming out of black) - at least on my 2008 set - just a reduction in black level as advertised.
audiodane likes this.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
AVfile is offline  
post #11903 of 11908 Old 01-15-2017, 12:44 AM
KMO
Advanced Member
 
KMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: England
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
Agreed on all counts. Any fears of misfiring pixels by the engineers proved to be unfounded.
Well, no doubt if the voltage went low enough they'd still misfire.

Perhaps the programmed voltage just ended up miscalibrated, so the entire lifetime curve is high enough for an old panel.

Given the way the panels seem to be working after long life, maybe they could have been even darker when new, only settling on our 0-hour brightness after 1500 hours.

That would have been closer to what Panasonic claimed - getting lighter by design, but still excellent at the end of the process.
KMO is offline  
post #11904 of 11908 Old 01-15-2017, 01:01 AM
KMO
Advanced Member
 
KMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: England
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMO View Post
Well, no doubt if the voltage went low enough they'd still misfire.

Perhaps the programmed voltage just ended up miscalibrated, so the entire lifetime curve is high enough for an old panel.

Given the way the panels seem to be working after long life, maybe they could have been even darker when new, only settling on our 0-hour brightness after 1500 hours.

That would have been closer to what Panasonic claimed - getting lighter by design, but still excellent at the end of the process.
Maybe that's how the problem arose - different interpretations of how the baseline voltage drive for the panel should be specified.

Maybe the panel spec from the manufacturing said "250V", meaning it should be 250V at the end of life, but the drive folks interpreted that as 250V at the start of life. So the time changes end up giving us the range 250V-265V, when it should have been 235V-250V.
KMO is offline  
post #11905 of 11908 Old 01-16-2017, 02:46 PM
Member
 
Mindman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just sold my P46G10 last night after upgrading to a 4K set. What a wild ride it has been, discovering this thread and validating my own rising black level observations years back, doing the DIY fix using the Arduino to restore the black level, and finally using the PMCv1 to do it for me with a sense of tremendous satisfaction, not only at the ease of applying the fix, but also the diligence and smarts of the community to provide one in the first place. Despite the rising black level, I would call the G10 the best consumer electronics item I have ever owned. I will never forget the many hundreds of hours of enjoyment this TV brought me, and how it saved me from the terrible world of LCD TVs for so many years. Thank you all for everything!
AVfile and audiodane like this.
Mindman is offline  
post #11906 of 11908 Old 01-16-2017, 11:52 PM
Member
 
mironto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hopefully your 4k set is an OLED?
Paul210 and audiodane like this.

Panasonic plasma black level restoration
Step-by-step guide for restoring the initial MLL on a Panasonic G10 plasma
mironto is offline  
post #11907 of 11908 Old 01-29-2017, 01:22 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello!!

I've registered at forum only to post the results after the purchase of PMCv2.
The delivery has been very fast to my city (Barcelona-Spain).
The TV is TH-37PX8EA

These are the results (sorry for the quality of the images, but you can see the difference):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	1928425   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	1928433   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	1928441   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	1928449  
AVfile and eaayoung like this.
snick_bdn is offline  
post #11908 of 11908 Old 01-30-2017, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
eaayoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by snick_bdn View Post
Hello!!

I've registered at forum only to post the results after the purchase of PMCv2.
The delivery has been very fast to my city (Barcelona-Spain).
The TV is TH-37PX8EA

These are the results (sorry for the quality of the images, but you can see the difference):
The photos may be poor quality. But they really show the difference the PMCv2 can make when installed on one of these TVs.
eaayoung is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off