Panasonic 11G/12G/13G black levels have seemingly doubled overnight? - Page 398 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 337Likes

post #11911 of 11930 Old 03-15-2017, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by James2020 View Post
This almost seems too good to be true. After several years of having resigned myself to looking at the disappointment that my P50S1 turned out to be, I decided to google "Panasonic viera plasma black level fix" today, hoping a patch had been released or some fix had been developed. Lo and behold, I came across Mironto's DIY black level restoration guide. While I was immediately filled with excitement, my elation faded as I read page after page of what would be required in order to achieve the MLL reset. Then I checked out the link to Audiodane's site, regained my excitement and, of course, immediately shelled out the $50 for the PMCv2. I can't wait to receive this device and hook it up to my eight year-old Panasonic to get rid of those awful black levels that have been plaguing my movies/TV/gaming for all these years. Hope I'm not the odd one out who's TV doesn't work with the device, for whatever reason *fingers crossed*. I'll post back when I receive the device with results and before-and-after photos.
If it works for you tv, you'll be a happy camper. I couldn't believe the difference in V10. Make sure you get some before and after pictures.
audiodane likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11912 of 11930 Old 04-05-2017, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 77
FYI, I posted out a notice to PMCv2 newsletter subscribers ... Check it out here... Only a few PMCv2's remaining ...
http://audiodane.dandk.org/last-rema...n-opportunity/

cheers,
..dane
post #11913 of 11930 Old 04-05-2017, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Thanks audiodane for all your hard work and support on this device.
AVfile and audiodane like this.

post #11914 of 11930 Old 04-08-2017, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Here are my before and after pics. There's certainly a noticeable difference, especially with the black bars when watching widescreen movies and when the screen goes black during movie/shows. The difference is substantial enough to satiate my desire for an OLED, at least for now, which is probably a very good thing considering OLED still has room to improve and QLED, though not self-emissive right now, may be self-emissive within a few years and will seemingly be a serious competitor to OLED in the future (possibly even now, if reviews are accurate). Overall, I'd say I'm happy with the PMCv2.

I do have a potentially stupid question: my black levels seem to be rising quickly and I'd like to manually reset them. Do I have to remove the PMCv2 from the TV to do so, or can I just flip the switch while it's still connected (I'm thinking this will do nothing/reset them to the previous levels)? Thanks!
audiodane likes this.
post #11915 of 11930 Old 04-08-2017, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Here are my before and after pics. There's certainly a noticeable difference, especially with the black bars when watching widescreen movies and when the screen goes black during movie/shows. The difference is substantial enough to satiate my desire for an OLED, at least for now, which is probably a very good thing considering OLED still has room to improve and QLED, though not self-emissive right now, may be self-emissive within a few years and will seemingly be a serious competitor to OLED in the future (possibly even now, if reviews are accurate). Overall, I'd say I'm happy with the PMCv2.

I do have a potentially stupid question: my black levels seem to be rising quickly and I'd like to manually reset them. Do I have to remove the PMCv2 from the TV to do so, or can I just flip the switch while it's still connected (I'm thinking this will do nothing/reset them to the previous levels)? Thanks!
Also, I should have used the scanning white bar to clear the screen before taking these pics The after pic looks slightly better with a clean screen.
post #11916 of 11930 Old 04-08-2017, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 138
That is a curious question. I've never seen such a dramatic rise in MLL. Are you sure your set is healthy?

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer
post #11917 of 11930 Old 04-14-2017, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi James,

Yes, the PMCv2 can be operated while attached. You may certainly use the manual reset method to your heart's content. There is no limit or warning based upon its use. The only caveat is to follow the instructions provided. For example, while you can flip switches while the TV is on, and it most certainly will not damage the TV in any way, that's not the way the PMCv2 is designed to operate. Put the TV in standby first....

There are two ways to go about what you want -- the manual reset method on v2.2 software units repurposed one of the switches. That is certainly the easiest way to accomplish a manual reset. The other method is to go through a complete undo cycle followed by going through a normal "new installation" method (skipping the physical removal and re-installation steps)... I recommend the manual method. It's easier.

I am also surprised that your MLL seems to be rising much more quickly than others. I don't believe other S1 owners have reported such. That said, I do know what while the commonly held belief was the first MLL rise at the 300 mark, there were at least a few people who reported their rise to occur sooner, around the 200hr mark. That is why the PMCv1/v2 devices were designed to reset at the 150hr mark, to make sure I catch as many corner cases as possible. And that hasn't seemed to be a problem for anyone. Try out the manual method and see if in fact you can get restoration before the natural 150hr mark and report back. I think we're all curious on your findings!

Let us know if you have questions..

cheers,
..dane
post #11918 of 11930 Old 04-24-2017, 11:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Dane -- Question about the PMCv2 operation. I notice that every few months my 42X1 will not activate on when I hit the remote button - I use a Harmony remote - the red power light comes on, no image. Even if I turn the TV off and on again - nothing. I have to resort to unplugging the panel and then all is well. I'd guess this is when the black level is reset. Tonight it happened again, I looked behind the display and saw a white flashing light. Onece I unplugged and re-plugged the panel it was gone and notice red and green lights. Is this normal?

Having to unplug the display is a bit of a challenge due to it's placement, any other options?
post #11919 of 11930 Old 05-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Dane -- Question about the PMCv2 operation. I notice that every few months my 42X1 will not activate on when I hit the remote button - I use a Harmony remote - the red power light comes on, no image. Even if I turn the TV off and on again - nothing. I have to resort to unplugging the panel and then all is well. I'd guess this is when the black level is reset. Tonight it happened again, I looked behind the display and saw a white flashing light. Onece I unplugged and re-plugged the panel it was gone and notice red and green lights. Is this normal?

Having to unplug the display is a bit of a challenge due to it's placement, any other options?
Hi Matt,

Just logged in and saw this post. It sounds awfully familiar. Did you email me in addition to posting here? I thought I already replied to it ... ?

..dane
post #11920 of 11930 Old 05-05-2017, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have not emailed you -that I recall. Certainly not at this time. This has been going on all year, perhaps I did way back after I first installed the unit. Anyway, any ideas?
post #11921 of 11930 Old 05-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Matt,

First, there is no white LED, only red and green, so I'm not sure when you say 'white,' what may be going on. (could be green and/or red interacting with your paint colors?) I'm also not familiar with what the Harmony may be doing, and how that may or may not be different from the typical remote or front panel power button. Also, which version do you have, PMCv1, v2, or the latest v2 with software v2.2? That will also help diagnose what's going on ..

When it happens next time, try to get a better look at the device and see what it's doing... which LEDs, what kind of blink pattern, etc. Also try using the TV's physical front panel power button instead of the Harmony, and see if it responds differently than what you've shared above. (I know that many IR devices support many more codes than the OEM remote supplies, and that Harmony forums often include those additional codes.)

Let's see where that takes us and go from there..

cheers,
..dane
post #11922 of 11930 Old 05-08-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dane, thanks for the reply. I'll keep an eye out for the next occurrence. The display is in an awkward location, so it was difficult to see the back. The one thing I'm sure of is it will not display after the reset - I believe - unless I remove power first. I have tried the front panel button too. Not sure which version of the unit I have, I think it's been over a year since I got it. I'll report more info when/if it happens again. Thanks.
audiodane likes this.
post #11923 of 11930 Old 05-10-2017, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

... and just like that, the last PMCv2 device has been sold ... (on it's way to Germany today..)

I wanted to take a moment here and thank everyone for their support through this multi-year endeavor. It has been amazingly fun to interact with such a wide variety of people from vastly different backgrounds and from so many countries around the globe. I can't say it was always done perfectly (to err is human, after all), but I can say I tried my best to exceed everyone's expectations and provide above-average support both pre- and post- sale. It has been a great honor to serve this community. Maybe someday I'll get another chance to do it again. It's time to step aside and pass the baton to the next community member (and to support my wife in her new small-business adventure).

The website will stay up, as will the product pages with their FAQ's and user-guides. I will also stick around to provide ongoing support to those who need it.

Thanks for the opportunity, everyone.

cheers,
..dane
Paul210, AVfile, Gov and 4 others like this.
post #11924 of 11930 Old 05-10-2017, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
... and just like that, the last PMCv2 device has been sold ... (on it's way to Germany today..)

I wanted to take a moment here and thank everyone for their support through this multi-year endeavor. It has been amazingly fun to interact with such a wide variety of people from vastly different backgrounds and from so many countries around the globe. I can't say it was always done perfectly (to err is human, after all), but I can say I tried my best to exceed everyone's expectations and provide above-average support both pre- and post- sale. It has been a great honor to serve this community. Maybe someday I'll get another chance to do it again. It's time to step aside and pass the baton to the next community member (and to support my wife in her new small-business adventure).

The website will stay up, as will the product pages with their FAQ's and user-guides. I will also stick around to provide ongoing support to those who need it.

Thanks for the opportunity, everyone.

cheers,
..dane

Thanks Dane for saving all these TVs and make owners happy again!
Gov, Vader424242 and audiodane like this.
post #11925 of 11930 Old 05-10-2017, 02:29 PM

Yes great job audiodane!
Gov, Vader424242 and audiodane like this.
post #11926 of 11930 Old 06-17-2017, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Has anyone tried the pmcv2 on a PZ85? I just installed it and I don't feel like it did anything. I know my expectations are probably too high, but I really can't see any difference in a dark room. The screen still glows. Maybe that's how it always was but I was expecting something noticeable going from 0.025 to 0.007 fL.
post #11927 of 11930 Old 06-17-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaTVrules View Post
Has anyone tried the pmcv2 on a PZ85? I just installed it and I don't feel like it did anything. I know my expectations are probably too high, but I really can't see any difference in a dark room. The screen still glows. Maybe that's how it always was but I was expecting something noticeable going from 0.025 to 0.007 fL.
I have. I didn't put a meter on it but the eye test appeared that it worked. I got the green blinking which indicated success. But your right the PZ85U does not have the greatest black levels.
post #11928 of 11930 Old 06-17-2017, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 523
I don't have a PZ85 but when I installed it on my G10 there was an improvement. The screen still glows in a dark room but it is much less than before install as seen here.

HT, Mitsubishi HC6500, 106" screen, Panasonic TC-P50G10, Oppo BDP-103, Toshiba A35, Panasonic LX-1000U, Pioneer Elite CLD-95, Faroudja NRS, DirecTV H21-100, PS3, Pioneer Elite SC-85, Def Tech; SM 450, CLR 2002, BP2X, Klipsch KSB 1.1(X4), Pro Sub 100, Polk PSW125
Old School, Sony PS-5500->Denon 103r->AU-320 SUT, Dual 1219->Shure M91ED, Kyocera DA-610cx, Pioneer SA-1000, Polk Monitor 10A
post #11929 of 11930 Old 07-06-2017, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just missed getting the PMCv2 and I have 2 screens that need the fix. If anybody wants to sell one they don't plan on using any longer please PM me.
post #11930 of 11930 Old 07-19-2017, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Big thanks to @audiodane !

I got on this bandwagon late, but the PMCv2 really breathed new life into my 2009 plasma, and continues to do so. I have a 42PZ700u and a 50" S14, and the S14 looks better than it's older flagship cousin thanks to the restored black levels (but both still work perfectly).

Still can't stand the way motion looks on most LCDs, so I'm pretty happy to keep my older plasmas. I do look out for local deals on ST/VT/ZT Pannys though.
AVfile likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page