Panasonic 11G/12G/13G black levels have seemingly doubled overnight? - Page 54 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1591 of 11231 Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thav View Post

A best buy technician was just making a service call here and I asked if he knew anything about this issue. What he said he knew about was an issue where peoples' black levels would intermittently rise, but that they would go back. He also said that when they repair things under warranty they report everything to Panasonic. I don't know if this is new information or not.

I bet he was unable to elaborate any further too Some times I cannot believe the BS people tell you

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 11231 Old 01-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Tech just left my house, they are replacing the panel and the A board. This is my second G10 with a problem in 7 mos, my first one was replaced by Panasonic for buzzing pretty loud. I'm half tempted to call Panasonic to see if I can just get a refund. Are there any concerns in having a new panel put in ? I guess I would have to break it in again ?

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #1593 of 11231 Old 01-08-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
randy, I agree that the no-input IR is funny...

but IR still happens when you switch to an input with valid signal.

I posted how watching a youtube under Viera Tools for a couple mins..
then switching to PS3...
you can see the youtube viera picture on the PS3 screen!

And so guess what...

If an image from source A affects source B... Its just as probable that pixels from scene 1 on source A stick around and are faintly displayd on scene 2 source A.

TV Calibration would require "anti image retention" AFTER EVERY menu openeing...
since the black will be faintly lighter with the menu IR after its closed.
post #1594 of 11231 Old 01-08-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

These are better than an eye one for around the same price?

bob

The low light level reading capability of the DTP-94 and i1 D2 (or LT) is better than the i1 Pro. IIRC the Chroma 5 is better at low levels than the i1 Pro also.

Larry
post #1595 of 11231 Old 01-08-2010, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a tech come in today as well.... I didn't really want to, as I could have predicted the result...

He looked at the TV (broad daylight, skylight over the TV, etc...) said that it looks great. I explained not so much once the sun goes down.

He said there's nothing he can do, and he can't report it to Panasonic engineers if he can't see the problem. I invited to plug the TV in in my bathroom, and shut the door, he declined.

He wanted to write "Panel OK" on the report, but I negotiated down to "symptom can't be reproduced"

Out of the whole visit, I got nothing useful, not even the transfer of information up the corporate stream.
post #1596 of 11231 Old 01-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdemers View Post

I had a tech come in today as well.... I didn't really want to, as I could have predicted the result...

He looked at the TV (broad daylight, skylight over the TV, etc...) said that it looks great. I explained not so much once the sun goes down.

He said there's nothing he can do, and he can't report it to Panasonic engineers if he can't see the problem. I invited to plug the TV in in my bathroom, and shut the door, he declined.

He wanted to write "Panel OK" on the report, but I negotiated down to "symptom can't be reproduced"

Out of the whole visit, I got nothing useful, not even the transfer of information up the corporate stream.

I'd have had some room-darkening curtains handy and built a tent around the TV.

Bummer about the wasted trip.
post #1597 of 11231 Old 01-08-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdemers View Post

Wait a few days, call for another service visit and have the TV set up in your bathroom when the tech gets there.

Maybe it's time to show them the absurdity of dismissing your issue simply because they only come out during the daytime when you cannot accurately demonstrate the problem.

It gets me when service companies show a lack of respect for the time we are forced to take away from work by trivializing, or refusing to address problems; particularly in this case where he could have looked at it in a dark room (would it have been very difficult to temporarily set it up in the bathroom or some other darker place?).

mlgm8r
post #1598 of 11231 Old 01-08-2010, 04:43 PM

Well I just canceled my backordered 58V10. With the specter of this bug hanging over the 12Gs and all the positive talk about the 13Gs coming out of CES, it seemed prudent.

An interesting footnote to the conversation I had with the customer support rep while I was canceling. I have called Panasonic no less than 5 times this week, and by some odd coincidence, every person I've talked to is surprised to hear the tale that I tell about a "bug" in the G12 series sets, claiming that I'm the first person they've ever heard such a thing from. This call was no different, with the rep claiming there is "no problem at all with the sets" that she was aware of.

Well the facade cracked a bit this time. As soon as I got the words "cancel it" out of my mouth about 3 minutes into our conversation, after telling her I had 2 outstanding calls to level 2 tech support that has failed to call me back over 3 days, her tune changed a bit. I asked if there was any way I could preorder the 13G set (as expected, not at a this time), to which she said "the technicians are working out some kinks in the product and we plan on selling the V10 sets throughout 2010". She said she expects that tech support would get back to me at some point to discuss the case I have opened.

So it seems that it's deny knowledge up to the point of cancel, and then some minimal acknowledgment that they are "working on any kinks" to try to reassure a future potential sale.

Well here's hoping the 13Gs really do have something better to look forward to, as I'm sure I just cost myself 5-700 additional bucks when I do buy over what I would have paid for a 12G.

-Jim
post #1599 of 11231 Old 01-08-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightowlKY View Post

Bummer about the wasted trip.

I almost forgot the best part!

As the tech was packing up, he tried to sell me a 3-year extended warranty!

My response:

"Until there's some evidence that claims are taken seriously, why in the world would I want to pay for that?"
post #1600 of 11231 Old 01-08-2010, 06:05 PM

for what it is worth to readers of this thread,

I have the p65v10 (I think an August 2009 build).
I have about 600+ hours on it.
I do not have any of the issues that have been reported in this thread (at least not yet).
No visible change in black levels.
No IR.
Watching hd cable looks great.
Watching bluray looks great.

I read somewhere on this forum that reading posts here at avs
(with all of the potential issues people may encounter due to a defective panel or a design defect; small number of incidents per issue, or many incidents per issue)
will make one unable to enjoy watching a tv again...
It was meant as a joke (or so I think???), but they were right .
So, unfortunately for me, I am always on the lookout for IR, dead pixels, fading black-levels, buzzing, etc. - I would see issues if they were there; nothing (yet).

To gain some perspective on the issue(s), it would be great if someone could create a 'poll' thread for this issue (if not done already). For example, sample questions could be: do you have the issue or not, year and maybe month of build, size of panel, hours on panel, % level of black-level change, etc.
Might help identify a pattern.
Might help people who are considering buying a 2009 panny plasma.
It also might help people with issues who can then go to panny with #s to backup their claims (in force).

Best of luck to those who have had issues; I hope you can get things worked out.
post #1601 of 11231 Old 01-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 97
if you wear a tin foil hat while watching, all those feelings of apprehension will be blocked..
I mean, really dude, you can no longer just relax and watch the tv because of some posts you read on an internet board???

I think John Belushi said it best..

"My advice is to start drinking heavily"...
post #1602 of 11231 Old 01-09-2010, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

......The various reporters and anchors' faces and various other screen content changed day to day but their KABC "circle-7" logo was always present and visible on a no-signal screen, yet that circle-7 logo never got burned-in and is not there when watching TV........

I also watch several hours of SPEED Channel on the weekends with the Speed logo always in the upper right corner and while i could easily see it on a no-input screen, it also never got burned into the screen.

I'm curious about something: since you can still see these "images" on the screen with no input, how can they not be called IR or BI?

Obviously that's BI or at the very least IR since they are still present at all times with no input. The fact that you cannot see them while watching something is irrelevant as for the definition of the terms is concerned. Technically, by definition it's still BI, but you're just lucky you don't see it while watching something. At least not yet.

Or are you saying they are not permanent and they eventually go away?

God Bless,
-Clint
post #1603 of 11231 Old 01-09-2010, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by hplaceavs View Post

for what it is worth to readers of this thread,

I have the p65v10 (I think an August 2009 build).
I have about 600+ hours on it.
I do not have any of the issues that have been reported in this thread (at least not yet).
No visible change in black levels.
No IR.
Watching hd cable looks great.
Watching bluray looks great.

I read somewhere on this forum that reading posts here at avs
(with all of the potential issues people may encounter due to a defective panel or a design defect; small number of incidents per issue, or many incidents per issue)
will make one unable to enjoy watching a tv again...
It was meant as a joke (or so I think???), but they were right .
So, unfortunately for me, I am always on the lookout for IR, dead pixels, fading black-levels, buzzing, etc. - I would see issues if they were there; nothing (yet).

To gain some perspective on the issue(s), it would be great if someone could create a 'poll' thread for this issue (if not done already). For example, sample questions could be: do you have the issue or not, year and maybe month of build, size of panel, hours on panel, % level of black-level change, etc.
Might help identify a pattern.
Might help people who are considering buying a 2009 panny plasma.
It also might help people with issues who can then go to panny with #s to backup their claims (in force).

Best of luck to those who have had issues; I hope you can get things worked out.

+1 with my 65V10.

post #1604 of 11231 Old 01-09-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

if you wear a tin foil hat while watching, all those feelings of apprehension will be blocked..
I mean, really dude, you can no longer just relax and watch the tv because of some posts you read on an internet board???

I think John Belushi said it best..

"My advice is to start drinking heavily"...

Thank you for your concern .

Actually, I do greatly enjoy watching my p65v10 tv in a very relaxed state
(a nice glass of wine can also help enhance that level of relaxation...).
Every day I look forward to watching it,
am amazed at the pq,
and look for a new bluray to pop in the player.

I was, in a self-deprecating/joking way, trying to say that I have a keen eye and ear for issues, and have not seen any (yet).

I do appreciate the hat tip, and will keep that in mind should my condition progress from mere observation to mania - I found this url and will add it to my favs on IE should that time arrive:
http://riverdaughter.files.wordpress...02/tinfoil.jpg
post #1605 of 11231 Old 01-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I like the styling of the kids hats in that pic..thanks for the link!
post #1606 of 11231 Old 01-09-2010, 12:01 PM

Just got off a 50 minute phone call with Panasonic. The first 24 minutes consisted of me being on hold...

They are sending a tech on Tuesday between 1pm and 5pm. So I have to block off all light into my room which shouldn't be too hard, but it's still a pain. I asked them to come in the evening but they only had that time available.

Let's see what happens. I hope the guy they send knows what he is doing and can appreciate that a brand new plasma shouldn't look gray...
post #1607 of 11231 Old 01-09-2010, 12:21 PM

I haven't had a chance to read through this whole thread yet but have there been any reports of this with S1 set owners? I have a 50S1 coming on Wednesday and am wondering if I should cancel or not.

Thanks
post #1608 of 11231 Old 01-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
well, i sent an email to panasonic last week and finally got a reply. i specifically asked to get in touch with an engineer so i could explain the situation with panny plasma's and direct him to this thread. the response is as follows...

Thank you for your inquiry. We will send your statement to our research and development division to be considered in our future product line. It is very important to our company that we listen to our customers and provide the products and features that they desire. Thank you for your input and your time in letting us know of your concerns.

the rest of the email said i could submit any other ideas to some assistant general counsel dude in new jersey. basically a corporate cookie cutter response. if anybody wants to write this guy, i guess pm me if you think they'll actually do something.
post #1609 of 11231 Old 01-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
As a recent 50G10 owner I have read this thread with interest. I certainly hope I don't experience this. I am by no means an electronic expert but it seems to me that these tv's exhibiting this should have perhaps a significant amount more power draw than a properly performing one? Has anyone measured the draw on these sets? I mean if they are Energy Star compliant tv's & they were running high on the voltage could this not effect Panny's rating adversely in this regard?

Or is this new PDP tech they are using purposely set low on draw initially to pass these tests but can't be sustained in the long run? Perhaps measuring light output is only one way to evaluate this issue.

It would be interesting to find out if a tv that is suppose to draw 230 w is suddenly at 350 w or something.
post #1610 of 11231 Old 01-09-2010, 06:30 PM
L7R

I can't remember "black screen" power consumption when my 42" G10 was new.
Now it is 68w in totally black screen. Interestingly,on dynamic mode the black screen power draw is same 68w even when the phosphors are shutted down. On white screen power draw is about 440w max.
I think there might be difference in EU and Us models because of different tuners. EU model has 3 tuners, 2 for digital and 1 for analog broadcasts.
post #1611 of 11231 Old 01-09-2010, 08:04 PM

ive posted on here a couple of times about my black level problems, already had a tech come out a couple of months ago and gave me the (its normal nothing wrong speach). I thought i would just live with the issue and enjoy the set but i can't it just irretates the hell out of me so i have another tech on the way, this time i told the rep and the tech coming that i wanted it fixed, replace or my money back. But anyway i took some pics of my two pannies, i have a 50 g10 (black level problem, i probably have about 2000+ hrs on now) and a 42x1 with about 500hrs or so. The pics aren't that great but they were taken in completly dark room at night with the same solid black image from sd card, and as anyone can see you can tell a difference, the pics are marked x1 and g10 so you will know witch is witch, again not the best pictures in the world but they do work as a reference. I don't see how a set that cost 3 to 4 times as much can have poorer black level performance, and well it didn't at first but apperantly things change.
LL
LL
post #1612 of 11231 Old 01-09-2010, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have about 500 hours on my 46U1 and literally when I turned it on tonight I noticed right away that something was different. When I started to watch a movie with dark scenes I almost choked on the chip I was eating. I am not kidding when I say my LCD computer monitor has darker blacks than this set does now. I am both angry and stunned that Panasonic would know of such a bug yet DO NOTHING to remedy the issue. Granted, the blacks were of course never Kuro black but I can see a difference. So much so that I came to AVS Forum at 1am to do a search. I read about a "reboot" of the set, should I give that a try?

Cisco 8742HDC - 7.2.0_5 ODN | Panasonic UT50 | Panasonic P46U1
post #1613 of 11231 Old 01-09-2010, 10:37 PM

no the reboot is crap it does not fix the issue, at least not with the g10s.
post #1614 of 11231 Old 01-10-2010, 09:48 AM

I found something new last night while looking for a solution to my black level increase problem or more info on the memory editor. If you enter the service menu as usual, go to the SRV-TOOL and highlight the top left spot, press the OK button for 5 seconds and new option comes up called "Local Maintenance". From my experience everything in the service menu has directions on how to navigate, save and exit yet I still haven't had the nerve to take a dive and see what's in there. I felt this was worth sharing for those who feel daring.
post #1615 of 11231 Old 01-10-2010, 11:12 AM
STi

I have an 8G panny plasma and do not have any of these isssues...I was going to buy an 54S1 but can't find one..So i was going to buy a 54g10 today untill i saw this thread. I didn't want a Samsung but i'll take buzz over these issues ESP that awfull IR for days after 2 hours of COD? WTF...My son plays video games all day on our 8th generation panny plasma with no issues.

post #1616 of 11231 Old 01-10-2010, 12:13 PM

we all should sign a letter and send it to panasonic showing them the number of people affected by this issue.
post #1617 of 11231 Old 01-10-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrayetta View Post

I found something new last night while looking for a solution to my black level increase problem or more info on the memory editor. If you enter the service menu as usual, go to the SRV-TOOL and highlight the top left spot, press the OK button for 5 seconds and new option comes up called "Local Maintenance". From my experience everything in the service menu has directions on how to navigate, save and exit yet I still haven't had the nerve to take a dive and see what's in there. I felt this was worth sharing for those who feel daring.

Thanks for sharing. I went there and it's called "Local Maintenance Log". In my set there are three log files: pow_msg.log (282 bytes), rbt_msg.log (282 bytes) and sig_msg.log (312 bytes). It appears to be read only.

The TV about menu displays GPL and LGPL licences. Seems to run something called AM-Linux. Maybe if someone request the source from Panasonic it would be easier to understand the TV behaviour.
post #1618 of 11231 Old 01-10-2010, 12:50 PM

Oh well, so much for wishful thinking.
post #1619 of 11231 Old 01-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpresner View Post

People need to stop freaking out so much with this "so called IR" stuff... I have had several plasmas and they all do this.. some content makes it worse but if you can not see it when watching something else stop freaking out. Unless its there all the time no matter what you are watching then you have a problem. I have had a blu ray with black bars paused over night and yes the black bars where visible.. as soon as I changed to the tv and put it on its gone. You have to REALLLLY abuse these things to get burn in or have anything to worry about.

here is a good question... can anyone document real burn in on these sets.... i am guessing not... so stop freaking out.. now the blacks doubling, i can understand that..

When the tech came out to look at my set on friday, he said the panel showing that much image retention/ residual or whatever you want to call it was not normal, and a result of a problem with the panel, so I'm getting a new panel . I think some of you questioning, or making light of the situation, if your panel looked like an etch and scetch that takes days to start to go away, you would probably be concerned as well. This is my 3 Panny plasma, and I have never had ir like this.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #1620 of 11231 Old 01-10-2010, 02:05 PM

I see 7 logs in my V10 in the Local Maintenance Log. Maybe with a little more understanding of the structure one could keep an eye on the logs and see what changes at the time of the MLL increase. Hopefully this might lead you to where in the EEPROM the change is stored. There is source code for the S,U C and X models at pasctraining.panasonic.com/firmware/Content/Plasma.ASP although i haven't been able to make any useful sense of it. I don't think we'll get much help from Panasonic on their source code. From what I've seen there is a real disconnect between the engineers in Japan and any of CSR/techs here in the states. There's still people out there waiting for the THX to get fixed and that is a simple luminance/decoder issue, this MLL thing will probably much more difficult to nail down. With all the secrecy around their firmware and design you'd think they were trying to cover up government conspiracies or something . Just me 2 cents.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page