Panasonic 11G/12G/13G black levels have seemingly doubled overnight? - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 102Likes

Old 01-29-2010, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
and you have to wonder why it doesn't include any models over 54". What am i supposed to do with my P58S1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyInTheChair View Post

I can't for the life of me get the THX fix to work

I format my SD card

put the 4 files on it

change the boot to SD in the service menu

unplug the TV
put the card in
plug the TV back in

and then nothing happens

it says it should only take ~10 seconds to start up but I've been waiting this time for ~2 minutes and there's no response

is it possible that this update is older than what I've got on my TV already and that's why it wont boot?

the LSI version on my TV is .05
the instructions say the LSI version should be .03 after the update

THX or not S1 series has the same problem with the gama colour, and there is no firmware to fix them.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclyps19 View Post

and you have to wonder why it doesn't include any models over 54". What am i supposed to do with my P58S1

It could be simply that they are still working on other models firmwares.. After all, looking at the list it seems fairly clear that EVERY single size AND model has a unique firmware load... That adds to the time it takes to get new firmware built for each size/model combination and test it.

Also, it's been suggested earlier in this thread that field testing is underway-- it could be that they don't have enough data back yet from unlisted size/model combinations to trust putting the firmware out for general availability until more tests results are received from the field technicians.

Also I find it interesting that the website the SC BD Reduction firmwares are located are on a different server than all the others, which is probably why no one can download the SC BD Reduction firmwares. I tried pinging the site listed and got no response. I'm not sure how to ping specifically port 8100 however.

Could be this IP address is located behind a firewall so that only authorized personnel can get to the firmware for now, and then when they are comfortable with the results (say, around the 'target date' of 5-Feb) they will move it to the same server as everything else that we CAN download...

just a few thoughts..
..dane

edit: it also looks (to me) like there are multiple firmwares in the TV.. One chip might be doing things inclusive of THX decoding and another chip may be doing voltage control, etc... This of course is just my theory. When people were debating whether or not firmware revisions were cumulative, I never saw this possibility mentioned, which is why i'm mentioning it now... (no, I'd rather not bring that discussion back up, just mentioning for reference.)

edit 2: looks like somebody in the THX thread also already noticed the different IP address.. sorry for the duplicate post...
Old 01-29-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly21029 View Post

Not trying to be pessimistic here, but you may be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Per a post over on the THX fix thread, you may be right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2001 View Post

Information on Mandatory Update - SC Bd damage reduction firmware.

I just got off the phone with Panny Chat regarding this update.

"In most of our firmware updates, thepurpose of the update is stated in the instruction PDF. Not so in this case. That update was provided to eliminate a firmware glitch in the SC board int our TV that was causing the TVs to shut down."

So that is what that firmware is for. Not the black level increase.

I also told them, no one is able to download this update as the links don't work. They tried on their end and were able to download it, but not anyone on the outside can. They will tell the technical people and try to resolve the broken link.

They didn't know any specifics about the LSI revision number for the THX firmware. It seems most people are getting a +1 value and not a 00.00.03 value after flashing. They didn't know what the correct value would or should be.

I've been following this thread closely as I'm fairly positive that my 50" G15 has the same issue. I haven't been into the service menu, but my best guess is that the set has about 1000 hours on it (purchased August 2009). The blacks appeared almost inky when I purchased the set, they are now charcoal gray. I've also noticed an increase in image retention. Really hope Panasonic finds a way to address this.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post

It could be simply that they are still working on other models firmwares.. After all, looking at the list it seems fairly clear that EVERY single size AND model has a unique firmware load... That adds to the time it takes to get new firmware built for each size/model combination and test it.

or an even simpler answer. That this "Scan Control Board Damage Reduction" fix is for something else entirely and only affects certain models.

Edit... See this post by jackal:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1403
Old 01-29-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Been a busy week for me, but I watched Iron Man Sunday night with a 60watt equivalent D6500 light bulb as a back light for my 54V10. The black bars blended with the bezel about as well as a 5010 Kuro would in a dark room with no back lighting, I loved it. I admired a solid black screen after the movie just before I shut the set off, it was very dark even without the back lighting.

Monday evening after work just after the sun was below the horizon (but there was still a slight glow in the sky) I fired up the V10 for a repeat of the previous night, and *curse words deleted* my blacks were a bright grey, no small difference here, it was a massive difference, the glow made my stomach sink. My 54V10 now has blacks that glow.
The difference is just like Orta's comparison of his S1 and G10 on the first post, and I am not happy.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:03 AM

As you all can see I am new to posting here but I was just made aware of this thread today. I mention this because I ordred a TC-P50G10 on Tuesday which will be delivered on February 6th and I'm beginning to think I made a huge mistake. Do you all think I should cancel my order and go with something else? This is my first HDTV purchase. I chose this model due to other threads on this forum, HDGURU, and CNET. Should I get something esle or should I stick with this and hope that Panasonic relesease a fix?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeekerMan View Post

As you all can see I am new to posting here but I was just made aware of this thread today. I mention this because I ordred a TC-P50G10 on Tuesday which will be delivered on February 6th and I'm beginning to think I made a huge mistake. Do you all think I should cancel my order and go with something else? This is my first HDTV purchase. I chose this model due to other threads on this forum, HDGURU, and CNET. Should I get something esle or should I stick with this and hope that Panasonic relesease a fix?

most people are still relatively happy with their set, just irritated that things changed from when they first got it.

If this thread was never posted, a lot of people may not have even noticed. Notice that the 11G sets may have had a similar problem and there is no thread like this at all...(or not one I can find anyways)

At this point, i don't see why this issue isn't fixable. A calibrator with some info from inside Panny stated that this could be firmware correctable if enough affected people complained. Just have to be very patient with Panasonic and not expect a fix for quite a while.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Been a busy week for me, but I watched Iron Man Sunday night with a 60watt equivalent D6500 light bulb as a back light for my 54V10. The black bars blended with the bezel about as well as a 5010 Kuro would in a dark room with no back lighting, I loved it. I admired a solid black screen after the movie just before I shut the set off, it was very dark even without the back lighting.

Monday evening after work just after the sun was below the horizon (but there was still a slight glow in the sky) I fired up the V10 for a repeat of the previous night, and *curse words deleted* my blacks were a bright grey, no small difference here, it was a massive difference, the glow made my stomach sink. My 54V10 now has blacks that glow.
The difference is just like Orta's comparison of his S1 and G10 on the first post, and I am not happy.

I have seen the 5010 in action and it still has a grey tinge to it in a all dark room.. hell i could still see grey bars on my pro-141 when i had it in a all dark room.. especially with dark content on the screen..

PSN: Biggsmooth
Old 01-29-2010, 10:35 AM

So for a status update on the issue....?

as of right now we apply the THX fix which looks to be for all models?

Then we are waiting for a firmware update that is early next month?

Is the THX fix only a SD card install or can it be with the internet from the TV?

Just my opinion but from all the reading I doubt the Feb. 5th firmware is doing anything with our black levels. All the chats with Pan support seem to be that the issue has been sent to engineers but nothing back from them yet.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

All the new firmwares have been removed.. Looks like Panasonic is still in the testing phase and doesn't want the mass public using them yet-- if they're not sufficiently tested then they run the risk of having even more problems to deal with (TV's dying) ... It would be nice if people could "sign up" for testing to give panasonic more feedback though.. a "first 100 to sign up" kind of thing...

..dane

edit: nevermind-- another refresh and it looks like they're just re-organizing..
Old 01-29-2010, 10:38 AM

They are currently updating the site (refresh your cache ctrl-f5) and you will see.

Loving the Blu-Revolution
Old 01-29-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDamon View Post

So for a status update on the issue....?

as of right now we apply the THX fix which looks to be for all models?

Then we are waiting for a firmware update that is early next month?

Is the THX fix only a SD card install or can it be with the internet from the TV?

Just my opinion but from all the reading I doubt the Feb. 5th firmware is doing anything with our black levels. All the chats with Pan support seem to be that the issue has been sent to engineers but nothing back from them yet.

There's no additional update for THX. Just different ways to get the same one.

I'm thinking on February 5th that Panasonic will start mailing out the update on the techtraining website to affected customers upon request via SD card.

It's unknown if this update will ever be released through Vieracast. We've never received an explanation as to whether all updates eventually get pushed out via the internet connection.

THX discussion really belongs in the other topic...see here
Old 01-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Highlander View Post

They are currently updating the site (refresh your cache ctrl-f5) and you will see.

haha.. sometimes the (high) speed if the internet is troublesome...
Old 01-29-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck9 View Post

There's no additional update for THX. Just different ways to get the same one.

I'm thinking on February 5th that Panasonic will start mailing out the update on the techtraining website to affected customers upon request via SD card.

It's unknown if this update will ever be released through Vieracast. We've never received an explanation as to whether all updates eventually get pushed out via the internet connection.

THX discussion really belongs in the other topic...see here

Yet the THX one has been released through Vieracast correct? In which case I already have it.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:52 AM

I'm pretty sure this has been stated above, but I wanted to reiterate:

The Scan Board update is related to an issue that causes the TV to turn off unexpectedly. It is NOT a black-level fix.

The CSR I spoke with indicated that the SC Board update would indeed be pushed over VieraCast eventually.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhuvsta View Post

Has anyone mentioned this to THX? Surely they wouldnt be happy that a THX Certified peice of equipment would degrade and tarnish their reputation aswell. They might put pressure on Panasonic aswell / threaten to remove their certification if this is a breach of the THX criteria.

Oh that is just too rich... oh, wait, you're serious!?! I really don't think THX cares in the slightest especially after the THX mode color decoding problem that they didn't seem to care one whit about. Their consumer electronics certification seems like a complete joke. I don't think I've actually heard of a single product where it has been seen as an actual indicator of a quality product so much as a way to add to the cost.

Maybe it still means something to the mainstream consumer, but they probably aren't aware of the problem so it's not an issue.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Deleted

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdemers View Post

The Scan Board update is related to an issue that causes the TV to turn off unexpectedly. It is NOT a black-level fix.

The CSR I spoke with indicated that the SC Board update would indeed be pushed over VieraCast eventually.

I've split that off into a new discussion here so that we don't keep confusing these issues. Here's the link:

Panasonic 12G sets shutting off on their own? Scan Control Board Fix Released

Thanks for the update bdemers
Old 01-29-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpresner View Post

I have seen the 5010 in action and it still has a grey tinge to it in a all dark room.. hell i could still see grey bars on my pro-141 when i had it in a all dark room.. especially with dark content on the screen..

I don't think you can compare the dark grey on pioneers to the glowing grey that we're experiencing. Have you ever seen a LCD with flashlighting or clouding? That would be a more fair comparison as my blacks/greys on letterbox bars and video content are just as bad if not worse than my last LCD. Watching Zodiac on BR when I first got the set and watching it now is a night and day difference. My eyes are constantly drawn to the glow and it's not hard to see the loss in shadow detail as well because of it.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:19 AM

http://www.techtraining.panasonic.co...ent/Plasma.ASP

in the website they change the firmware tittle from
Mandatory Update - SC Bd damage reduction

to

Mandatory Update - SC board change

i don't understand
Old 01-29-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magdielito View Post

to

i don't understand

This is NOT related to Black Levels. There is a different discussion for this update.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magdielito View Post

to

i don't understand

Maybe they changed their mind about admitting that something might actually being damaged?

Anyone know what SC and Bd stand for?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0pe View Post

Maybe they changed their mind about admitting that something might actually being damaged?

Anyone know what SC and Bd stand for?

Scan Control Board.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
One poster over at Cnet mentioned this which I find a little scary......

"I just called Panasonic and they said that they are aware of this problem and are looking into it (so it?s not speculation). They were very quick to mention that it is not a serviceable issue ? I assume this means that it is not covered by warranty."

I'd love to know why they would tell someone the problem isn't serviceable. If that were true & this is a real problem it would be like buying a car with a 300 hp engine only to have it net out at 200 hp after a little bit of use but being forced to accept it. Panny needs to step this up & make it a priority.

It will be interesting to see if Cnet follows this up & I know D-nice did respond to them about this issue as he mentioned earlier in the thread.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post

One poster over at Cnet mentioned this which I find a little scary......

"I just called Panasonic and they said that they are aware of this problem and are looking into it (so it?s not speculation). They were very quick to mention that it is not a serviceable issue ? I assume this means that it is not covered by warranty."

I'd love to know why they would tell someone the problem isn't serviceable. If that were true & this is a real problem it would be like buying a car with a 300 hp engine only to have it net out at 200 hp after a little bit of use but being forced to accept it. Panny needs to step this up & make it a priority.

It will be interesting to see if Cnet follows this up & I know D-nice did respond to them about this issue as he mentioned earlier in the thread.

I took the comment to mean something different, but I think both interpretations are possible.

I took the comment to mean that currently, there is no fix available, and therefore, not something they can send a tech to come out and service.

We'll see which interpretation holds as this develops further.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm of the opinion Panasonic doesnt want ANYONE installing those firmwares...

They are on a training site for panasonic professionals.

Our job is to sit and wait for Vieracast update, or a call from Panasonic for an engineer to update us...
Old 01-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I took the comment to mean something different, but I think both interpretations are possible.

I took the comment to mean that currently, there is no fix available, and therefore, not something they can send a tech to come out and service.

We'll see which interpretation holds as this develops further.

You could be right about it meaning that too. However, I do find any chat sessions copied & posted on here to be rather cryptic in nature. I guess this is the reason why I think Panny needs to step up & squash the rumour mills & possible misinterpretations that will occur due to all of the uncertainty.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post

You could be right about it meaning that too. However, I do find any chat sessions copied & posted on here to be rather cryptic in nature. I guess this is the reason why I think Panny needs to step up & squash the rumour mills & possible misinterpretations that will occur due to all of the uncertainty.

There are official emails directly addressing this issue. Panasonic engineering is still in the process of researching. It's been posted a few times already. That's the only factual/credible information we have right now. IIRC, it even links back to this topic.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

That's a new one on me. Any of you guys seen someone mention that problem with regards to the 12G's?