Philips 50PF9631D/37 Plasma help red flashing power light - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Philips 50PF9631D/37 Plasma that has been working fine then I tried to turn it on today and the green power light comes on for 5 seconds then goes to a red flashing light. It flashes a sequence of 6 long and 3 short flashes. I have tried unplugging it to see if it would reset but that didn't help. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-06-2009, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Could be a few different things. First guess is SSB, which is like the "main" board $250 here. I would suggest you get a diagnosis because getting the correct SSB is nearly impossible without tearing open the set and getting the part number off the board. And installing the board is not easy because after install there are special secret codes that need to be entered with the remote. Without the correct codes the Tv may not have any picture at all, or may look wrong and have the wrong features.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-08-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu77 View Post

I have a Philips 50PF9631D/37 Plasma that has been working fine then I tried to turn it on today and the green power light comes on for 5 seconds then goes to a red flashing light. It flashes a sequence of 6 long and 3 short flashes. I have tried unplugging it to see if it would reset but that didn't help. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks!!

I have the same model and size Philips. Purchased mine in July 2006. Extended warranty just ran out. So I am quite interested in this thread! I have not had this problem. How old is your 9631D?

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
post #4 of 20 Old 08-10-2009, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Later that day I tried to turn it on and it powered up and worked fine. I think there is something getting ready to go out. I guess I will wait untill it completely quits and go from there. I am pretty sure I can swap the board, but as for the programming you were talking about I don't know if I can do it or not. As for the age of the tv, it is a late 2006 model. Thanks again for your help!!
post #5 of 20 Old 08-12-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu77 View Post

Thanks for the reply. Later that day I tried to turn it on and it powered up and worked fine. I think there is something getting ready to go out. I guess I will wait untill it completely quits and go from there. I am pretty sure I can swap the board, but as for the programming you were talking about I don't know if I can do it or not. As for the age of the tv, it is a late 2006 model. Thanks again for your help!!

There is a similar thread elsewhere in this forum at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post16990650

Just FYI.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
post #6 of 20 Old 11-24-2009, 02:07 PM

I purchased mine in 2006 also same module, and it is doing the same thing some times it will turn on some times I get the red light of death. was yours made in mexico also becouse some of these modules was put together other places. mine has been doing this for a week and has of today I cant get it to turn on the messed up part is I spent my tax return money on this and now 2 1/2 years later I am going to have to buy another TV Philips should be ashamed of them selfs. I had a 32 inch sony lasted me 12 years and when I replaced it with this oversized piece of @#$#@! it still was running strong. --> back to Sony I guess. thanks for letting me vent
post #7 of 20 Old 11-24-2009, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.binam View Post

I purchased mine in 2006 also same module, and it is doing the same thing some times it will turn on some times I get the red light of death. was yours made in mexico also becouse some of these modules was put together other places. mine has been doing this for a week and has of today I cant get it to turn on the messed up part is I spent my tax return money on this and now 2 1/2 years later I am going to have to buy another TV Philips should be ashamed of them selfs. I had a 32 inch sony lasted me 12 years and when I replaced it with this oversized piece of @#$#@! it still was running strong. --> back to Sony I guess. thanks for letting me vent

Hold on...hold on...hold on.

This situation has been cited NUMEROUS TIMES in the 9631 and 9630 User threads. Go back over the last few pages of each. Could be the capacitors or something very simple (I forget if that's the solution to your specific problem, but it might be).

Also, your TV is 3 years old, not 2 1/2 years old. Any idea how many hours of use from the Service Menu ?
post #8 of 20 Old 11-25-2009, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

And anybody reporting any problems with their Philips TV's.....go into the SM and get the hours of use for us !!!!
post #9 of 20 Old 09-13-2010, 12:08 PM

This has been an outstanding television....up to this point. I also bought this tv back in 2006 as well and unfortunately have the same issue with the flashing lights and turning itself off. This is very frustating to hear that there are so many others with the same issue in just a short amount of yrs of ownership, sounds like poor parts or ?? Unfortunately I guess there is only one thing to do, try swapping out the board or suck it up and buy another tv...most likely another brand. I own several other Philips products and for some reason they never last more than a few yrs...I guess you get what you pay for.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-13-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiePopo View Post

This has been an outstanding television....up to this point. I also bought this tv back in 2006 as well and unfortunately have the same issue with the flashing lights and turning itself off. This is very frustating to hear that there are so many others with the same issue in just a short amount of yrs of ownership, sounds like poor parts or ?? Unfortunately I guess there is only one thing to do, try swapping out the board or suck it up and buy another tv...most likely another brand. I own several other Philips products and for some reason they never last more than a few yrs...I guess you get what you pay for.

There are a number of people on this forum who have fixed this problem by replacing certain capacitors. I am one who did this, and the total cost was no more than $40. You can search for blinking light, etc. in the forum to get help to fix the problem yourself. The relevant capacitors have the designation C8059 & C8060. Good luck.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
post #11 of 20 Old 11-01-2010, 05:36 PM

I have this TV and replaced the 2 capacitors on the power circuit board. Now instead of 3 blinks followed by 6 blinks, I have 7 blinks repeating. I saw one post that said certain codes had to be input by the remote. Does anyone have any information on this? Otherwise I will have a service center do a diagnostic to see if there is other damage to the set. I think a power surge was the cause of my problem.
post #12 of 20 Old 11-02-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiePopo View Post

Hold on.... for the most part, the 7-blinking RED LED problem can be solved with $3 in capacitors and 45 minutes of work. The 3-6 blinking LEDs has also been diagnosed, though I'm not sure what the fix is.

Lots of plasmas fail after thousands of hours of use...if you've had the TV since 2006 and it's used daily just by you (say, at night) then it probably has about 5,000 - 7,000 hours on it. If you have a family and it's on most of the day, then it probably has close to 15,000 hours or more on it.

Parts fail, many are rated only for up to 7,000 hours.
post #13 of 20 Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemtruckee View Post

I have this TV and replaced the 2 capacitors on the power circuit board. Now instead of 3 blinks followed by 6 blinks, I have 7 blinks repeating. I saw one post that said certain codes had to be input by the remote. Does anyone have any information on this? Otherwise I will have a service center do a diagnostic to see if there is other damage to the set. I think a power surge was the cause of my problem.

Goto the 9631 User Thread......7 blinking RED LED's is the capacitor problem.....did you replace them with brand-new good ones ? Same type ?

Other item could be a fuse that about 5% of 7-blinkers had. Again, see the 9631 Thread for a fix and pictures of the circuit board with the capacitors and fuse(s).

Goto the most recent posts and read BACKWARDS at least 10-15 pages (or more) to see how to fix the problems.
post #14 of 20 Old 09-05-2012, 06:04 AM

Just an FYI, over on a FIXya forum someone pointed out that these red blinking light problems can sometimes be solved by swapping power cables. Seems the ones that come with the TV aren't great (or maybe they're just getting loose in the back and a swap isn't even necessary). Anyway, I swapped mine power cable with one from a PC and my TV started working again. Worked for the author of the post and one other person. Worth a shot before fiddling with capacitors.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-06-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

TROB, what 'power cable' are you talking about ? Nobody has fixed the 7 blinking LED problem without replacing the 2 capacitors mentioned a bunch of pages back.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-17-2012, 08:29 AM

could some one please post the capaciter #'s so I can buy them at radio shack or on line .
post #17 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisvelardi View Post

could some one please post the capaciter #'s so I can buy them at radio shack or on line .

Often if a cap has blown the top will have bulged or erupted. You want a capacitor that matches the uF rating and has a voltage rating the same or higher. Panasonic FR caps are the best option in most cases, which you would probably have to buy online.

Samwha 3300uF 10v caps were particularly failure prone on the Samsung power boards inside Philips plasmas. They should be replaced by 3300uF 16v Panasonic FR.
post #18 of 20 Old 11-28-2012, 04:18 AM

My 50" Philips plasma just started this yesterday. I'm familiar with capacitor problems with MOBOs. Dell had a similar problem with its 240, 260 and 280 model clamshell Dell desktop PCs. The MOBO in those models had twenty or so capacitors that would swell and some exploded. What griped me about the Dells was that Dell knew about the problem and continued to sell the systems anyway. Under threat of a lawsuit, Dell extended the coverage for the models, but refused to advertise that the problem existed. If you knew about the problem, they would ship you a free MOBO, but if you didn't know bout it, they would charge you for service and/or a replacement part.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-04-2012, 02:33 PM

I replace my power supply. I was getting 3 short and 5 or six fast and now after changing the power supply I'm getting 7. Did you find a fix for this?
post #20 of 20 Old 07-12-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonefix View Post
I replace my power supply. I was getting 3 short and 5 or six fast and now after changing the power supply I'm getting 7. Did you find a fix for this?
Yes, the 3300 capacitors:

Philips 42PF9631D HD Plasma
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page