post #631 of 1489 Old 11-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiotitis View Post

From what Donny & mjmorrison observed, Mid & Low (which seems the same as high ), there is a variance between panels - depending possibly on their mfgrd date. With some, the desired gamma of 2.2 is observed with Mid. with others, its found with Low.

I believe you are referring to the Gamma Adjust setting. My issue is actually with the Panel Brightness setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1489 Old 11-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanb View Post

I believe you are referring to the Gamma Adjust setting. My issue is actually with the Panel Brightness setting.

Oops. Sorry. I misread the post. Deleted.

My THX Calibration
My Custom Calibration
Service menu access instructions
Panasonic 50V10, SD/THX Zip applied, Mfgr June 2009
post #633 of 1489 Old 11-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I am really liking CO1's 37ftl setting the best out of all the settings posted in this thread. My only beef with the picture on the V10's is that all seem to push red too much. Without sacrificing the other colors, how can I tone reds down a bit?

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #634 of 1489 Old 11-23-2009, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I am really liking CO1's 37ftl setting the best out of all the settings posted in this thread. My only beef with the picture on the V10's is that all seem to push red too much. Without sacrificing the other colors, how can I tone reds down a bit?

Have you tried CO1's 40 ftl ? I think the reds are better.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #635 of 1489 Old 11-24-2009, 05:28 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

I have, but the picture is a little too dark in the shadows and it seems to push red even more on my set. Maybe I just need to get used to this look. I am coming off a callibrated CRT RPTV that had a setting on it that reduced red push. It is too bad this plasma does not have it.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #636 of 1489 Old 11-24-2009, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjk00 View Post

Does any body know of a calibration expert that services NYC? i used the break in slides but due to the fact that i have 2 young kids under 2 along with my job i have yet to watch/calibrate it...with the holiday approaching i finally said heck let an expert do it..any and all contacts would be appreciated..thanks and happy holidays to all...love this thread thanks again

Here you go. Kevin Miller 718 274.0236. He calibrated my Kuro and I couldn't be happier. http://www.isftv.com/
post #637 of 1489 Old 11-24-2009, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This may seem a little naive, but how does one adjust the pro-settings when either trying to calibrate with something like Avia I, or simply trying to tweak settings that are fairly good to begin with. When using Avia, does one simply manipulate the R and B by eye? And, when tweaking an existing setting, does one simply manipulate the R and B by eye? Obviously, confused.

Nonetheless, I might add, although my 50v10 is about 3 months old, I think that I've go a pretty good PQ via THX; and CO1's 40 settings, with a little tweaking, are also great.
post #638 of 1489 Old 11-24-2009, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
[quote=Audiotitis;17579293]Still pasty for ya ?

I'm posting pics in the V10 Decoding thread. Check back in a few if you're interested.
This one : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...186568&page=15

QUOTE]

LOL!! Right on!

You guys were abosolutely right, not a good idea judging pq based on tv programing. Saw the lakers game few nites ago on TNTHD, it was outstanding! No red push onthe basket, the lakers "gold" jersey was gold, minus the neon.

Sharpness was that of a LCD tv, I had friend's Samsung LCD to compare to and that set was in torch mode. Not bad for a plasma!

Wanted to take some pics, but alas my P&S camera will not come close conveying the images. Still less than 75hrs. on my, but the pq just gets better and better...
post #639 of 1489 Old 11-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Hi, everyone, I'm new to the thread, and I admit I haven't read every post, but I've got a question:

Let's say that you have a Blu-Ray, a satellite STB, and an OTA antenna as sources (which happens to be my case!). Is it true that each of the sources can be (must be?) calibrated separately in Custom mode? If so, does anyone have any suggestions on how to display test patterns on the OTA and satellite inputs? I have the HDNET test patterns recorded, but they're of limited use. I may have the panel calibrated professionally later, but I'll try to get it close myself.

I won't have my 65V10 for a couple more weeks, but I'm replacing an 8-year-old RPTV running on a single component input (through an A/V receiver) for everything, so I'm a little behind on the learning curve.

Brad

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do!"
- Joe Walsh
post #640 of 1489 Old 11-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Hi,

Posted this on another thread but am looking for more opinions so here it is:

Got my 58V10 today and just had a quick question. Are the black levels on this TV going to compare to my rear projection CRT?

I ran the break-in slides for an hour or so (and will continue to do so) but I had to see what a real picture looked like so I popped in DVE on HD-DVD just to set the black level (before watching the demo material). On a full-field black I can turn the brightness to zero and it still looks like a dark gray, not black. I turned off all image enhancements, set the gamma to Normal (in Custom mode), light black level, and low panel brightness. If I turn off all room lights and set the brightness to whatever, it never becomes black. I bought a plasma for the deep blacks (among other things) and was curious if this will improve as the phosphors age or is this the best I will get compared to CRT.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks.

Rob

LCD is the MP3 of the TV world
post #641 of 1489 Old 11-25-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Hi, this is my first post. I keep seeing this "CO1's XX ftl". Can someexplain what this is?
post #642 of 1489 Old 11-25-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfromtor View Post

Hi, this is my first post. I keep seeing this "CO1's XX ftl". Can someexplain what this is?

CO1's settings are here.

FTL is a measure of luminance.
post #643 of 1489 Old 11-26-2009, 04:23 AM

Liked: 13
Thanks xzolian! My 58V10 is supposed to be delivered tonight and I was just about to do a search for the list of CO1's accumulated settings.
post #644 of 1489 Old 11-27-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzolian View Post

CO1's settings are here.

FTL is a measure of luminance.

Wanted to chime in on these settings for a second. I spent about a week using the 40ftl settings and a week using the 37ftl settings. To be honest, I got greater depth in the picture using the 37ftl settings in both regular programming and blu ray. What I DID like about the 40ftl settings though was the pro settings. So, after a week with each setting, I ended up with a hybrid between the 37 and 40 settings and have spent a few days watching movies without any desire to change anything. As a side note, I do get quite a bit of ambient light in my living room during the day. Here's the best I could get out of my TV with CO1's settings...

Contrast 77
Brightness 83
Color 40
Tint 0
Sharpness 35
Color Temp Warm1
everything else off
Video NR weak
Pro Settings same as CO1's 40ftl

For TV programming I keep the same settings above, but ratchet down the pro settings (especially for the L/H reds) and change the color temp to Normal because broadcasts are all over the place with their coloring. I use game mode for live sports and have completely different settings than what I have above.
post #645 of 1489 Old 11-27-2009, 04:52 PM

Does anyone here have a PS3 hooked up to their V10 (HDMI) and have their "RGB Full Range" set to FULL? I have a P50V10, and whenever I set my PS3 RGB Range to Full, things looks super dark. Do the V10 plasmas support the Full RGB Range (0-255)? If so, what settings have you guys used to get the complete range, if it is at all possible?
post #646 of 1489 Old 11-29-2009, 06:49 AM

I just purchased a one-month-old Panasonic P50V10 from a local person. He never did any break in or whatsoever. He just used it like a normal TV from the day he bought it. Watching cable channels, DVD's, playing games etc. I'm not sure how long he uses it each day. But I assume it's about average.

So my question is should I still do the entire break-in procedures with the DVD slides? Should I also do the IR prevention procedures? Please recommend a routine that best suits my situation.

Thanks.
post #647 of 1489 Old 11-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyScum View Post

Does anyone here have a PS3 hooked up to their V10 (HDMI) and have their "RGB Full Range" set to FULL? I have a P50V10, and whenever I set my PS3 RGB Range to Full, things looks super dark. Do the V10 plasmas support the Full RGB Range (0-255)? If so, what settings have you guys used to get the complete range, if it is at all possible?

Read the hints in this link
http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...fullrange.html
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums...ic_id=26585424

Then test it. I've not tried the difference (yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptalent View Post

Reply to your post :
Why don't you delete that post and search the Panasonic V10 thread ? The reason why nobody has bothered to respond to it is because you are obviously not the first to ask. And unfortunately, not the last.

My THX Calibration
My Custom Calibration
Service menu access instructions
Panasonic 50V10, SD/THX Zip applied, Mfgr June 2009
post #648 of 1489 Old 11-30-2009, 04:25 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info from this thread, it has been very helpful.

I am finally receiving my 58v10 tomorrow morning (ordered Oct 17) and had a question about CO1's settings. I am trying to decide how I want to break in my tv, either running the slides straight for 150 hours or mixing it up with watching tv and running the slides for certain intervals. I have read that the settings may vary based on how the tv was broke in, does anyone know what break-in procedures that CO1 ran?

Thanks in advance!
post #649 of 1489 Old 11-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiotitis View Post

Read the hints in this link
http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...fullrange.html
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums...ic_id=26585424

Then test it. I've not tried the difference (yet).

I have tried it and it def works. The v10 supports it well. My blacks are so detailed on blu ray and video games... i personally think it makes a great difference with blacks.

PSN: Biggsmooth
post #650 of 1489 Old 11-30-2009, 06:28 PM
CO1
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoffa1 View Post

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info from this thread, it has been very helpful.

I am finally receiving my 58v10 tomorrow morning (ordered Oct 17) and had a question about CO1's settings. I am trying to decide how I want to break in my tv, either running the slides straight for 150 hours or mixing it up with watching tv and running the slides for certain intervals. I have read that the settings may vary based on how the tv was broke in, does anyone know what break-in procedures that CO1 ran?

Thanks in advance!

I broke it in using the slides for 150hrs straight. You don't have to do that but it will take you longer to get to the same point.
post #651 of 1489 Old 12-01-2009, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
That's a good question.

Are you supposed to play your DVE calibration disk on the PS3 as "RGB limited" or "RGB full" ?

I assume you calibrate things for limited... so your HDMI cable box and HDMI AVR will look good...
post #652 of 1489 Old 12-02-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpresner View Post

I have tried it and it def works. The v10 supports it well. My blacks are so detailed on blu ray and video games... i personally think it makes a great difference with blacks.

Rpresner, would you mind posting all your display settings for your V10? I've tried that test image and enabled "RGB Range Full", and I can't see most of the blacks in the image.

Also, what brand HDMI cable do you have? Does the brand matter?

Thanks.
post #653 of 1489 Old 12-02-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO1 View Post

I broke it in using the slides for 150hrs straight. You don't have to do that but it will take you longer to get to the same point.

Did you use D-Nice's settings of Vivid, Contrast = 100, etc. while running the slides for 150 hours straight?

Which slides did you use? Was it D-Nice's thumbdrive ones? Or was it Webapalooza's, etc.?

Finally, what settings did you have pixel orbiter on during the breakin and then there after?
post #654 of 1489 Old 12-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

FilthyScum,

I am work right now and my laptop is being fixed so it will have to wait until monday to get it to you since I am off. I will check my settings and PM people that have already PM'd me. I basically just messed around with the settings until I saw it. For those who tried, did you at least see the screen get darker on the image that was on that link?

PSN: Biggsmooth
post #655 of 1489 Old 12-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Still in a quandry on how to monkey around with the W/B settings...either using Avia I or via eyeballing.
post #656 of 1489 Old 12-06-2009, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I am wondering why on my 58V10 when I input either one of these settings and then "test" them using my Sony 350 Bluray player and the Bluray DVE, that the Brightness seems way to high. I need to lower it by at least 10 more to get the pluge bar to dissappear on the Brightness test pattern.

Now for the more technical jargon: when testing them further by using an EyeOneLT and HCFR, I get a gamma of 2.45 when measuring the greyscale (but the RGB dE is all below 3).

Is there a setting on my Bluray player (light/dark maybe) that is affecting brightness settings and gamma?

I find it hard to believe that only my TV doesn't present these settings very well, while all others here are getting great results.

BTW, I am at about 130 hours, 122 of which have been with D-Nice's Vivid and Contrast 100 settings and running Webapalooza's 120 test patterns.

I mean, you would think that these sets are built the same and that I would be getting a gamma of close to 2.22 like CO1 says he gets with his 37ftL settings.

Testing further, it seems that if contrast is set anywhere between 80-95 AND brightness is set anywhere from 67-76, with Gamma at Normal, and Panel brightness at mid or high, I always get a gamma in the 2.4-2.48 range. Why can't I get the gamma to be 2.22?
post #657 of 1489 Old 12-06-2009, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

The first step in calibration using these tools is typically to put up a 100 IRE pattern and then measure ftL and the Y value, and then adjust contrast so it's between 30-40ftL and as close to 40 ftL as possible.

However, when I do that using my Sony Bluray 350 player and when panel brightness is set to Mid, I need to set contrast at like 97 to get 40ftL; however, when panel brightness is at High, I only need to set contrast at 82 or so to get 40 ftL.

Does this sound right or are there settings that I'm not setting correctly?
post #658 of 1489 Old 12-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyScum View Post

...Also, what brand HDMI cable do you have? Does the brand matter?

FWIW, I'm no expert, but from what I have read on many of these forums, either HDMI will work, or it won't work. They say that as long as you are not running excessive lengths of HDMI, use the inexpensive cable from BlueJeans or Monoprice. I'm running 6' and 9' HDMI that cost about-can't really remember, but maybe somewheres between $5-12$ with absolutely no problems.
post #659 of 1489 Old 12-06-2009, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

When setting contrast using one of the HDAVS 709 patterns, even at a setting of 100 it still shows bars that are for whiter than white. So, why is it that some of these settings people are using are well below 100? You would think they should all be at 100 since even at 100 the V10 still doesn't clip white. This would maximize contrast.

Or is it because it becomes more difficult to get a good gamma curve with contrast that high, that people are setting contrast lower so they can get a smoother curve?

As per my above posts, no matter what I set contrast at I still cannot get gamma below 2.4 range. Seems strange, so any advice would be appreciated on any of these subjects.

Thanks.
post #660 of 1489 Old 12-06-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpresner View Post

That's odd. I tried that also, and my 58V10 wont show all those squares in RGB Full regardless of the brightness setting.

"I am fuel we are friends, I've got means to make ammends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I am right by your side."
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page