Why the hate on plasma? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Why the hate on plasma?

Plasma Flat Panel Displays

elohel's Avatar elohel
11:37 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 136
08-21-2009 | Posts: 16
A few weeks ago I purchased a Samsung LCD tv for my room. Picture was stunningly sharp, but I couldn't get over the artificial/bright look of the LCD and how badly the picture deteriorated by looking at the tv from just one end of the couch.

Went back to BB and returned it for a Samsung PN50B650. Was on sale for $1300, I got it for $950 because it was an open box. Only thing wrong with it was a small nick on the bezel that is impossible to see unless you get on your hands and knees and look. I was quite pleased with that

Anyways, after watching it for about two nights, I'm absolutely floored by the picture. The quality of the picture over the LCD is absolutely incredible. The only reason I'm asking here is because I was steered towards LCDs by soo many people, especially the workers at Best Buy as well as techy friends. That along with the fact that their are barely any plasmas for sale in contrast to LCDs has me scratching my head.
Defcon's Avatar Defcon
03:34 AM Liked: 39
post #2 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 919
Most people when they go shopping at the big stores think they like lcd because brighter=better. Its why all tv's (not just hdtv and flat panel) are always turned up to max contrast and brightness. And plasma will never be as bright.

But if you ask around here I think most people will agree plasmas have better PQ.
Extreme_Boky's Avatar Extreme_Boky
05:22 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 1,130
try the same question on LCD forums if you really want to find the answer...."hate" is too strong a word... maybe “dislike”…. or “prefer LCD”… this topic’s been bashed to nth degree already…

Boky
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97
05:27 AM Liked: 1011
post #4 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 11,657
^Once you've owned both, I can't understand how anyone can choose LCD after the dust has settled...unless your room is as bright as the sun, in which case you're better off blocking off some of that light or finding a different room.
stein78's Avatar stein78
07:43 AM Liked: 10
post #5 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 71
I'm not sure why there is this stigma with plasmas, all of my buddies were shocked when I told them I was buying one. I just can't stand the artificial look of the LCD, but that's my opinion. My brother in-law has a top of the line Samsung LCD and was showing me and one of my friends how great the blu-ray was etc. Well then I got my Panny V10 and my same friend stopped over and watched the same blu-ray, his first words "DAMN! Now this looks good! I like it much better than the LCD crazy bright fake look."

Again, to each their own, it's all a matter of personal preference. Both technologies obviously have their advantages. But I still don't understand why people think there is some crazy voodoo around plasma technology. Somone even commented to me that they thought plasma technology was pretty much dead.
mylan's Avatar mylan
08:01 AM Liked: 71
post #6 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 929
One other thing that is never mentioned is power consumption. I don't own either an LCD or a plasma but I had an energy audit done on my house due to something that was causing my bill to soar and one of the first things asked was if I owned a plasma tv. She said they can add as much as $50 to your monthly bill.
StinDaWg's Avatar StinDaWg
08:26 AM Liked: 185
post #7 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 3,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

One other thing that is never mentioned is power consumption. I don't own either an LCD or a plasma but I had an energy audit done on my house due to something that was causing my bill to soar and one of the first things asked was if I owned a plasma tv. She said they can add as much as $50 to your monthly bill.

lol what a load of BS.
mylan's Avatar mylan
08:41 AM Liked: 71
post #8 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

lol what a load of BS.

Whatever you say but my power bill was $478 last month so anything I can do to prevent it from going up, i"ll gladly do.
Like I said, I don't own one so I cannot say one way or the other but i'll take her word for it, Y.M.M.V. of course or the extra power consumption may not bother you but it does me.
joemama127's Avatar joemama127
09:14 AM Liked: 10
post #9 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 2,936
Yeah, I wouldn't say that "hate" is the right word...just a lot of misinformed people out there that don't understand the differences between lcd and plasma technology, as well as a LOT of plasma myths still floating around. The sad truth is that most impartial people (that don't know or care about the differences) will prefer lcd to plasma when viewing in a big box store...yet the opposite happens in a home setting. Also, the average consumer is more comfortable with lcd technology since most of them have lcd computer monitors either at home or work. Plasma still sounds like a exotic, tempermental technology...even though iirc it dates back to the 60's which is before lcd.
eddielives's Avatar eddielives
09:16 AM Liked: 10
post #10 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 294
Quote:

Whatever you say but my power bill was $478 last month so anything I can do to prevent it from going up, i"ll gladly do.
Like I said, I don't own one so I cannot say one way or the other but i'll take her word for it, Y.M.M.V. of course or the extra power consumption may not bother you but it does me.

So, you're saying that you unplug all your electronic devices when not in use? If you're so concerned about power consumption, that's one sure way to cut down, since they all draw power all the time.
xtremefit's Avatar xtremefit
09:18 AM Liked: 10
post #11 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 115
My boss was a manager at BB some years ago and he told me there is a bigger profit margin for selling LCD'S than there is for plasma. It's like anything else, it has nothing to do with what better's, but what brings in more profit. They know your avg. consumer is misinformed, so they take advantage of them by telling them lies to steer them away from plasma.
greenland's Avatar greenland
09:18 AM Liked: 205
post #12 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 5,222
Quote:

You have every right to try and conserve energy. However, since you have no first hand experience with running a Plasma, and are relying on just hearsay, you are not qualified to make such a claim.

Try this link.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_133P50G...ures_and_specs

A 50 inch 2009 model Panasonic Plasma.

Scroll down to the Energy Consumption category, and just float the cursor over the subtitles, and you will get some very helpful information.

Crutchfield tests flat panels for the amount of energy they use. In this case they found that running this 50 inch panel for six hours a day, if the rates were 10cents per kilowatt, that would come out to $4.16 per month, just slightly under $50.00 for an entire year. In other words; twelves times less per year, than the figure the audit person claimed, unless you misheard her, and she actually said $50.00 per year, not per month.

The Crutchfield site is a very good one to browse through, and get a wealth of power usage ratings for all the various sizes and brands of both LCD and Plasma sets.

Hate is not the proper word. What we have going on with the LCD versus Plasma partisans is pretty much what one sees going on with the Apple versus PC partisans. It is all just silly techno tribalism.

Both LCD and Plasma have their good and bad points. I don't care who purchases which. It is their money, and their viewing choices, so good luck to them. I think it is just downright silly for people to keep on trying to impose their viewing tastes, on others.

I would not let them tell me that I should only eat the foods that they eat, nor would I tell them that the must only eat the foods that I eat, so why should anyone get to impose their TV preferences, on others.

To those who prefer LCD. Good for you. Enjoy the viewing of it.

To those who prefer Plasma. Good for you.

Enjoy the viewing of it.
mylan's Avatar mylan
09:25 AM Liked: 71
post #13 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddielives View Post

So, you're saying that you unplug all your electronic devices when not in use? If you're so concerned about power consumption, that's one sure way to cut down, since they all draw power all the time.

No I don't unplug anything, ever. I'm just saying my power bill went from $205 one month to $478 the next, there is something causing this, what it is I don't know yet but I'm just relaying information that was explained to me by a trained professional. Take from that what you will
jesus freaking christ, forget I brought it up, jeez!
davyo's Avatar davyo
09:34 AM Liked: 11
post #14 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 4,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^Once you've owned both, I can't understand how anyone can choose LCD after the dust has settled

Right now I have a 55" LCD, my last plasma was the 6020 Kuro.

So I have owned both and am currently very much on the fence as to my next upcoming purchase,,,,, for me the dust has settled many times and I still like LCD and plasma.

Im really wanting to get a look at the new 65" Panasonic V10 or S1 while at the same time Im really liking the new LED/LCD Samsung.

To me, plasma and LCD can both show an amazing picture and they both have their pros and cons.

Cheers
Davyo
socalrat2's Avatar socalrat2
09:45 AM Liked: 10
post #15 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 83
So what did you do different last month, My electric rate tripled but both my boys are home and an inefficent A/C ran constantly. Or rates increased. We have three tiers here in sunny SoCal. Or someone tapped into your electricity. Happens, but not frequently.
Rick46's Avatar Rick46
09:53 AM Liked: 10
post #16 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 293
Quote:

No I don't unplug anything, ever. I'm just saying my power bill went from $205 one month to $478 the next, there is something causing this, what it is I don't know yet but I'm just relaying information that was explained to me by a trained professional. Take from that what you will

Don't take offense, but like everything else urban legends tend to last. Also "trained professionals" really don't impress me.

What was the result of your energy audit? That increase doesn't make sense unless they have not been reading your meter when they said they did, wrong reading, or maybe a bad meter.
symon_say's Avatar symon_say
10:00 AM Liked: 10
post #17 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 98
LCD gets the advantage because you can get in smaller size, most of people don't buy a 50" HDTV, they buy smaller sizes, and lcd's are the only option, other factor is that most computer monitors are lcd a people generally "know" about lcd and don't know anything about plasma, and most of us don't get what you don't know.

Just a few people are crazy like us to read a lot before buying anything, and try to learn about the options they get, i was settle to lcd before read about both technologies, i don't even think about plasmas, and that happen to common people.

And the other factor are store view, when common people, and even a lot of people in here, go to a store the see the lcd brighter and say WOW that looks nice, or this looks better that those, and there are a lot of factor that can make a in store looks better than the other, you can make a cheap HDTV looks a lot better than top of the line HDTV, you just have to play with setting and input signal.

I think that plasma will remain if they brand keeps making it better, like the neo-pdp technology and other thinks, but generally speaking will stay like greenland sais kind of apple vs pc.
mylan's Avatar mylan
10:01 AM Liked: 71
post #18 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrat2 View Post

So what did you do different last month, My electric rate tripled but both my boys are home and an inefficent A/C ran constantly. Or rates increased. We have three tiers here in sunny SoCal. Or someone tapped into your electricity. Happens, but not frequently.

We did nothing different thats the thing, same loads of laundry, same setting on A/C, no house guests, nothing. I doubt very seriously if someone has been tapping in, I can't rule it out but there are only two outlets that can be acessed on the outside but I have nosy neighbors so I would know about it.

I have thought some appliance was malfunctioning but the house is only five years old and has energy saving features like low E windows and Puron refrigerent heat pumps. My bill has never been over $300 and the utility claims that there has been no increase in rates or a tiered rate plan in place for heavier users.

I think I am going to spend the $179 for a complete audit, I can't do $478 bills!
2greedy's Avatar 2greedy
10:37 AM Liked: 10
post #19 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 4
I'm in the middle of by burn-in process with my P50G15 right now. I have the tv connected to my kill-a-watt energy meter and in vivid mode and contrast at 100, the highest reading I get is around 550W and lowest around 130W. I would imagine this figure would go down once I'm finished with the burn-in.

So 550W x 6hr/day viewing = 3.3kWh/day

3.3kWh x 30days = 99kWh/month

99kWh x $0.10/kWh = $9.90/month at the highest power consumption measured.
Dahlsim's Avatar Dahlsim
10:53 AM Liked: 13
post #20 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 3,996
Quote:

As the poster above indicates the problem with the quote you were given is not that Plasma doesn't tend to use more energy but that it appears to be a grossly exaggerated statement. Perhaps they meant to say $50 a year?

For a monthly jump like you describe I'd look for an problem with the A/C unit or a misread meter.
Kanaris's Avatar Kanaris
12:31 PM Liked: 12
post #21 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2greedy View Post

I'm in the middle of by burn-in process with my P50G15 right now. I have the tv connected to my kill-a-watt energy meter and in vivid mode and contrast at 100, the highest reading I get is around 550W and lowest around 130W. I would imagine this figure would go down once I'm finished with the burn-in.

So 550W x 6hr/day viewing = 3.3kWh/day

3.3kWh x 30days = 99kWh/month

99kWh x $0.10/kWh = $9.90/month at the highest power consumption measured.

My P50G15 pulls anywhere from 245 to 380 watts while watching HD programming with a custom setting with the contrast at 65... the measurement below includes the whole power bar and whatever wattage the satellite receiver is pulling which can't be more than 10 watts.

aydu's Avatar aydu
03:01 PM Liked: 61
post #22 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 3,760
Whenever there are two primary choices in technology people get real loyal to one. This happened with HD DVD vs Blu ray, and plasma LCD.

You'll notice that any criticism of a technology on the board that disscusses that option causes some to almost foam at the mouth in anger.

To me, it is very simple. If you want a big tv - over 55" - plasma is the only choice that makes sense. There is no substitute for size when it comes to home theater and plasma delivers the best price/size ratio available today.

If you use your set largely for specialty use - like gaming, SD tv, or as a computer monitor, you might be better off with LCD to avoid the potential for ir or ultimately burn-in.

One look at the various technologies often puts someone in one camp or the other. Those that like the bright crisp image of LCD will often see plasma as offering no competition.

Plasma lovers often see the image produced by LCD as cartoonish and not realistic.
Movies don't look like real movies to a plasma fan.

Ultimately it comes down to how your brain processes the image information. If one technology looks decidedly better to you, it becomes harder to understand those that see the same image and draw a different conclusion. Thus, "they" must either have an agenda, or, be nuts.
radXge's Avatar radXge
03:50 PM Liked: 10
post #23 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 42
Hate is ignorance.
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97
04:05 PM Liked: 1011
post #24 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 11,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

So I have owned both and am currently very much on the fence as to my next upcoming purchase,,,,, for me the dust has settled many times and I still like LCD and plasma.

Im really wanting to get a look at the new 65" Panasonic V10 or S1 while at the same time Im really liking the new LED/LCD Samsung.

To me, plasma and LCD can both show an amazing picture and they both have their pros and cons.

Cheers
Davyo

Well, I'm glad you've had excellent experiences with both. I went from a 2007 model Samsung LCDTV to a 5020 Kuro. Perhaps that's an unfair advantage against the older LCD tech in the Samsung but the improved viewing angles, black levels and screen uniformity of the Kuro left the former in the dust, and while LED might be approaching PQ parity with the Kuro in some areas, that tech has its own host of limitations and visible artifacts.
Artwood's Avatar Artwood
04:50 PM Liked: 223
post #25 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 4,849
The main reason for all the hate here for plasmas is that the video display manufacturing companies can make a bigger profit margin by churning out LCD trash.

If they could make money with a new dog mess display technology and convince everyone that dog mess looked good they'd do it.
hodges69's Avatar hodges69
04:52 PM Liked: 19
post #26 of 136
08-22-2009 | Posts: 878
Quote:

We did nothing different thats the thing, same loads of laundry, same setting on A/C, no house guests, nothing. I doubt very seriously if someone has been tapping in, I can't rule it out but there are only two outlets that can be acessed on the outside but I have nosy neighbors so I would know about it.

I have thought some appliance was malfunctioning but the house is only five years old and has energy saving features like low E windows and Puron refrigerent heat pumps. My bill has never been over $300 and the utility claims that there has been no increase in rates or a tiered rate plan in place for heavier users.

I think I am going to spend the $179 for a complete audit, I can't do $478 bills!

You might have set the same temp for your a/c...but how many times a day did it come on???
Just to give you an idea...we are a family of three adults....2200 sq ft..
have a 60" 8g elite.....my wife and daughter work part time..i work full time..so I might not have the need for as much energy use as you...I live in NC....my bill last month was $100.00...I don't know what to tll you except that perhaps your energy use is spiking and surging because of an electrical prob.The $179 will be well spent...
optivity's Avatar optivity
05:22 AM Liked: 12
post #27 of 136
08-23-2009 | Posts: 10,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by elohel View Post

Why the hate on plasma?

Expressing an emotion such as "hate" for phosphor based display technology is evoked by jealousy, buyer's remorse or some other justification that LCD owners must use in order to rationalize their purchase decision.
Ticmxman's Avatar Ticmxman
06:55 AM Liked: 12
post #28 of 136
08-23-2009 | Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

For a monthly jump like you describe I'd look for an problem with the A/C unit or a misread meter.

I would look closely at a electric water heater if I were you, they can be a major issue if the thermostat malfunctions or 1 element goes bad and the unit has to run constantly etc... and now back to plasma vs lcd.
Ken1015's Avatar Ken1015
07:12 AM Liked: 10
post #29 of 136
08-23-2009 | Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Cheers
Davyo

Wow! You escaped from the cult of Kuro?! How did you get out? Did you break out on your own or did your family have you kidnapped?
lonetreejim's Avatar lonetreejim
07:58 AM Liked: 10
post #30 of 136
08-23-2009 | Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaris View Post

My P50G15 pulls anywhere from 245 to 380 watts...

You should look at the VA reading on the Kill A Watt. VA are actually what you're paying for.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread