10Likes

post #91 of 536 Old 08-26-2009, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by speck9 View Post

but shouldn't the electronics be better for the v10 series over the G10?

There's at least a $700 price difference between the two right now for 50" panels.

At least there's some feature differences like the internet widgets, automatic firmware updates, a few extra inputs between the G10 and S1 that might justify the $200 difference there.

and if you don't need those minimal extra features....you're at a $1k price difference between the V10 and S1. And it sounds like Chad B may have already calibrated an S1 to the same level of a G10.

I guess my statement here will be more general, not necessarily pertaining to the Panasonic (or any other HDTV brand in the industry for that matter):

But price doesn't always mean that the "guts" of the product are much, or at all, different between the low and high-end models for the same manufacturer. A lot of times it's much more cost effective for the manufacturer to design a high-end model first, with all the bells and whistles, and then simply block some of the functionality via firmware for the low-end models (well maybe take out some pieces of hardware that are not being used, but that would be a minor cost saving). It's all a matter of optimizing profits. The price increase as you go from low to high-end models doesn't always have a 1:1 correlation to the costs of the product. The profit margins on high-end models are almost always several times that of the low-end. Product segmentation The point is to have 100% same exact product for mass production (keeps bulk cost at their lowest), with very very minor tweaks, and at the same time charge vastly different prices for it (or get close to this price-model as much as possible). That's how some manufacturers can get into the price-war on their lower-end models, they can sell them below cost and get people hooked on the brand name, while people buying the higher-end models eat the price difference for low-ends.

Again, this is just general. I honestly don't know the case with the HDTV industry; but working in business intelligence for one of the world's largest manufacturing conglomerate companies, I don't think I'm far off. It's a crazy world we live in.

... i think I digressed from the topic, sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 536 Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post

I agree with you 100%. V10 should have better electronics than G10, any way you look at it (Higher model, higher price, ...). Why would Panasonic put a better set of electronics in G10 and sell it cheaper? It dose not make any sense.

hdguru.com proved that V10 has deeper black than G10 by presenting photo.

I believe in what I see. And hdguru.com showed me that V10 black level was better than G10.
Words and opinions can be confusing, but the picture of V10 and G10 together proved that FACT (which one has a deeper black).

AFAIK, they use the same panels (S1 included). What you're seeing is probably just the typical inconsistencies of consumer electronics... not all of them are made the same.
post #93 of 536 Old 08-26-2009, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I agree with you 100%. V10 should have better electronics than G10, any way you look at it (Higher model, higher price, ...). Why would Panasonic put a better set of electronics in G10 and sell it cheaper? It dose not make any sense.

I believe in what I see. And hdguru.com showed me that V10 black level was better than G10.
Words and opinions can be confusing, but the picture of V10 and G10 together proved that FACT (which one has a deeper black).

I can show you figures of a G10's black levels doubling overnight. Still not sure if this is "programed behavior" or just a dud unit, but if it's intentional (possibly attributed to being the first generation of 5 lumen tech), the chances of it only applying to the G10's is pretty slim IMO. This would certainly explain why a (presumably) older G10 they've had for months looks noticeably lighter than a V10 they just pulled out of the box, even though it's contrary to the findings of literally every other review or calibration report out there (at least to the degree that's on display in that photo).
post #94 of 536 Old 08-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitripr View Post

I guess my statement here will be more general, not necessarily pertaining to the Panasonic (or any other HDTV brand in the industry for that matter):

But price doesn't always mean that the "guts" of the product are much, or at all, different between the low and high-end models for the same manufacturer. A lot of times it's much more cost effective for the manufacturer to design a high-end model first, with all the bells and whistles, and then simply block some of the functionality via firmware for the low-end models (well maybe take out some pieces of hardware that are not being used, but that would be a minor cost saving). It's all a matter of optimizing profits. The price increase as you go from low to high-end models doesn't always have a 1:1 correlation to the costs of the product. The profit margins on high-end models are almost always several times that of the low-end. Product segmentation The point is to have 100% same exact product for mass production (keeps bulk cost at their lowest), with very very minor tweaks, and at the same time charge vastly different prices for it (or get close to this price-model as much as possible). That's how some manufacturers can get into the price-war on their lower-end models, they can sell them below cost and get people hooked on the brand name, while people buying the higher-end models eat the price difference for low-ends.

Again, this is just general. I honestly don't know the case with the HDTV industry; but working in business intelligence for one of the world's largest manufacturing conglomerate companies, I don't think I'm far off. It's a crazy world we live in.

... i think I digressed from the topic, sorry.

You are spot on! The exact same process is used for computer hardware (chips and graphic cards are 2 big examples), software, car engine ECU's, the list goes on. Almost everything can be controlled via firmware and its cheaper to build it that way.
post #95 of 536 Old 08-27-2009, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I see that picture and can recreate it with my G alone. G on and G off. Absolutly there is no doubt in my mind that is what that is. I have seen both sets side by side . There is NO difference in black levels whatsoever.

As far as manufacturing, The panel itself is the most important part to be the same. Chips are cheap and can be different the most important part is the firmware is compatible with all the things in different models. Thats how it works on a little higher level. What I am saying in short is it is very possible that one set has different electronics to some degree. Why a lower model might have beter processing could be attributed to firmware working incorrectly in the higher model or I am sure many other reasons of which I couldnt dream up
post #96 of 536 Old 08-28-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964us View Post

Mods: if this needs to go somewhere else please feel free to move it.

I'm not a mod but I maintain a list of owner calibration reports. It will make it possible for other owner's of your Kuro model to read your report if you repost it in the owner's thread for your model. If you do that I'll include your report in it's list.

The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Pt. II

Edit: I've just added turbe's repost of your calibration report to the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.
post #97 of 536 Old 08-28-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post

PN50B550, which Chad B calibrated for me.
No IR. No problem. Even after a 6 hour marathon of Bioshock the other night, no IR.
Guess I have a defective Samsung, since horrible IR is apperently a required specification for all Samsung plasma's.

So yea, I'm enjoying my Samsung, especially since the color IS better than a Panny. And the blacks are magnificent as well.

Let me try this random fanboy game: I would urge people not to buy a Panasonic because I have heard SO MANY stories about the new G10's catching on fire randomly. It must be true, I know everything.

I opted for the Panasonic S1, and now i'm debating over the Samsung 550 and G10, because the green accuracy is a bit off on the S1(70hrs into).

However, while i want the best accuracy of colors, i'm a major gamer and for me the Panasonic S1/G10's ability to show all 1080 lines of moving resolution as well as being better at IR reduction(pixel orbiter) and having the deeper black levels and contrast(which does help bring out better color detail), overrides the Samsung 550/650 of better THX accuracy.

Actually if i return this 50" S1, i'm opting for the 50" G10 because it's THX has more accurate colors..especially green.

While the Samsung's have better color accuracy, as a gamer first, i'm choosing the HDTV with almost as good color accuracy(G10) as well as the better IR prevention, the best 1080p moving resolutiion, the better black levels, and the better build.(as in some Samsungs have an annoying buzz from the back).

No Plasma under $2000 is perfect, but as a gamer i see the G10 as being the better choice for under $1500(50" size).

I like the Samsung's line of the 550/650, as these are very good Plasmas, but for gaming there are more +'s for the Panasonic G10(even the S1) then the Samsung 550/650.

I will still keep an open mind here and look at both the G10 and 550/650 models and see if the color accuracy is more important then other aspects. If it does have the better color accuracy by a good margain and good enough blacks and i'm happy enough with the IR prevention and it's 1080p moving resolution, then i may just opt for the B650 model over the G10.

Phil
post #98 of 536 Old 09-03-2009, 02:42 PM

I'm about to buy a 42" and I'm debating between the G15 and a LH90.
They are about $250 difference at the store with the G15 coming in under $950.

Any recommendations? Mostly watch TV and gaming.
post #99 of 536 Old 09-03-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

AFAIK, they use the same panels (S1 included). What you're seeing is probably just the typical inconsistencies of consumer electronics... not all of them are made the same.

I'm pretty sure that even though they share the same panels there has to be some difference in the processing. I've seen these sets side by side in Best Buy, and I checked them both in every mode and I could clearly see that the G10 had deeper blacks. Both of these sets were displayed around the same time when they took down the Kuro and last year's Sammy's.

They have the V10 in the Magnolia Room so I can't say for sure how it compares to the G10 in blacks, but my gut feeling after looking at these sets several times is that the V10 has an edge. They actually have it beside a 151FD and the V10 was definitely the closest in the room when screens went absolutely black. The 8000 series Samsung was superb too. The two XBR8's and the LG LED appeared to be on high-beam mode so they didn't quite size up, and I wasn't about to try to adjust them.
post #100 of 536 Old 09-03-2009, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sony SXRD's get the lowest overall total ranking?!? I would have to disagree...

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #101 of 536 Old 09-03-2009, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitripr View Post

The point is to have 100% same exact product for mass production (keeps bulk cost at their lowest), with very very minor tweaks, and at the same time charge vastly different prices for it (or get close to this price-model as much as possible).

The now-classic example would be the early Intel Celeron CPUs, aka "knee-capped Pentiums."
post #102 of 536 Old 09-03-2009, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by lojack1976 View Post

I'm pretty sure that even though they share the same panels there has to be some difference in the processing. I've seen these sets side by side in Best Buy, and I checked them both in every mode and I could clearly see that the G10 had deeper blacks. Both of these sets were displayed around the same time when they took down the Kuro and last year's Sammy's.

They have the V10 in the Magnolia Room so I can't say for sure how it compares to the G10 in blacks, but my gut feeling after looking at these sets several times is that the V10 has an edge. They actually have it beside a 151FD and the V10 was definitely the closest in the room when screens went absolutely black. The 8000 series Samsung was superb too. The two XBR8's and the LG LED appeared to be on high-beam mode so they didn't quite size up, and I wasn't about to try to adjust them.

But some reviews say the V10 has better blacks than the G10, and vice versa. I guess there are reviews that say the G10 has better blacks than the S1, but there are no reviews saying the opposite is true, so maybe you're right. But it is very possible that not all sets will have the same black levels, even in the same series.
post #103 of 536 Old 09-04-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

But some reviews say the V10 has better blacks than the G10, and vice versa. I guess there are reviews that say the G10 has better blacks than the S1, but there are no reviews saying the opposite is true, so maybe you're right. But it is very possible that not all sets will have the same black levels, even in the same series.

I'm sure sample by sample there could be some slight differences, but I did see more than one S1 and I don't believe that any instance there was one that had blacks as deep as the G10. I noticed this is more than one store. What's even more interesting is that Cnet reviewed the X1 series and they found it to have deeper blacks than the S1 also. Well, I saw that in the store right above an S1 and it did indeed appear to have deeper blacks. My only guess is that Panasonic has different processing for various models at different price points.
post #104 of 536 Old 09-23-2009, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Rankings update:

Panasonic has come out with a firmware fix for the color decoding errors that used to plague the G10 and V10 THX mode. It also seems to have slightly upgraded some other aspects of performance, like 1080P/24 resolution and shadow detail. This significantly raised their rankings in my chart.

I have now calibrated enough Panasonic S1s to get a good handle on it's performance, so I have included it in the rankings.

Here is the update I added to the original G10 and V10 reviews:

Good news: Panasonic has fixed the THX color decoding issues in their latest firmware! I had seen the poor color decoding in several G10s and V10s since I wrote the review. But I was alerted to the possible firmware fix here on AVS and yesterday confirmed it with a newly updated V10. The update should carry over to the G10. Details about the update should be available here on AVS; I do not have them.
With the fix, THX color decoding is now excellent, and grayscale tracking is also the best I have seen on a Panasonic plasma, and gamma is even better. The green/yellow "antique" look in THX mode is totally gone!
THX mode is now the preferred mode to use on the G10 and V10, at least in light controlled rooms. In bright rooms, Custom is still a great alternative. I will be updating my rankings page to reflect primary use in THX mode, with Custom used in bright rooms. My opinion of the latest Panasonic plasmas has just taken a big jump. Great job, Panasonic!

ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:LG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300, LG 55EA8800 (including 3D)

Why I don't publish settings, Review index and rankings, Florida tour Dec '14, Texas tour Jan '15
post #105 of 536 Old 09-23-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Rankings update:

Panasonic has come out with a firmware fix for the color decoding errors that used to plague the G10 and V10 THX mode. It also seems to have slightly upgraded some other aspects of performance, like 1080P/24 resolution and shadow detail. This significantly raised their rankings in my chart.

I have now calibrated enough Panasonic S1s to get a good handle on it's performance, so I have included it in the rankings.

Good news: Panasonic has fixed the THX color decoding issues in their latest firmware! I had seen the poor color decoding in several G10s and V10s since I wrote the review. But I was alerted to the possible firmware fix here on AVS and yesterday confirmed it with a newly updated V10. The update should carry over to the G10. Details about the update should be available here on AVS; I do not have them.
With the fix, THX color decoding is now excellent, and grayscale tracking is also the best I have seen on a Panasonic plasma, and gamma is even better. The green/yellow "antique" look in THX mode is totally gone!
THX mode is now the preferred mode to use on the G10 and V10, at least in light controlled rooms. In bright rooms, Custom is still a great alternative. I will be updating my rankings page to reflect primary use in THX mode, with Custom used in bright rooms. My opinion of the latest Panasonic plasmas has just taken a big jump. Great job, Panasonic!

Excellent news! Is the update available for download via the Panasonic website?
post #106 of 536 Old 09-23-2009, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rankings update:

Do you have a link to this AVS thread, or remember which board it was in? Only firmware discussion I've been able to find is about this site, which has no listed update for the V10 or G10.
post #107 of 536 Old 09-23-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

Do you have a link to this AVS thread, or remember which board it was in? Only firmware discussion I've been able to find is about this site, which has no listed update for the V10 or G10.

I think the posts he was referring to were these two

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=16

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...1&postcount=21

They say the update is available through Viera Cast.
post #108 of 536 Old 09-23-2009, 01:21 PM

It will be extremely frustrating if we don't get this upgrade for the THX mode for the G10, here in the U.S. And it is worrisome if it has been out for a month in Europe and not at all here.
post #109 of 536 Old 09-23-2009, 01:23 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Rankings update:

Thanks for the news, good to see the S1 now ranked. I noticed it took a pretty good hit in your color rankings, makes me wonder what it would rank if this new update could be applied to the S1 series. I know this update is for THX, so presently it is not applicable but the negative comments on the S1 and G10 series all seem to be regarding a green or red push, it would be great if Panasonic brought this update down the line if it corrects the color issues so often noted by reviews.
post #110 of 536 Old 09-23-2009, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVersatile View Post

I think the posts he was referring to were these two

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=16

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...1&postcount=21

They say the update is available through Viera Cast.

Yes, that's it.

My customer yesterday with the V10 just got a firmware update to try to fix an HDMI handshake issue. I don't know the details, but apparently Panasonic sent the update to him and he just got it and installed it right before I got there to do the calibration. He said Panasonic did not mention anything about colors in regard to the update; they were just trying to help him with his HDMI issue.

ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:LG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300, LG 55EA8800 (including 3D)

Why I don't publish settings, Review index and rankings, Florida tour Dec '14, Texas tour Jan '15
post #111 of 536 Old 09-23-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Yes, that's it.

My customer yesterday with the V10 just got a firmware update to try to fix an HDMI handshake issue. I don't know the details, but apparently Panasonic sent the update to him and he just got it and installed it right before I got there to do the calibration. He said Panasonic did not mention anything about colors in regard to the update; they were just trying to help him with his HDMI issue.

My 58V10, which Chad calibrated yesterday, has a July 2009 build date. I took delivery of the set as a warranty replacement from Panasonic on 9/4/09 and no FW updates have been done other then the one for the HDMI handshake issue. Based on that I would guess that sets manufactured after that date must have the THX fix already installed.

PS - Thanks for the great job, Chad.
post #112 of 536 Old 09-23-2009, 02:01 PM

Odd that they would provide that HDMI handshake update (which I saw in another thread) by request only, and include firmware fixes for the THX mode in it, and not send out the THX fix to all the G10s and V10s. Ugh.
post #113 of 536 Old 09-23-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflackey View Post

Odd that they would provide that HDMI handshake update (which I saw in another thread) by request only, and include firmware fixes for the THX mode in it, and not send out the THX fix to all the G10s and V10s. Ugh.

I just sent them an e-mail about this, I also linked them to this thread. I asked them to send me the update, we'll see what happens. I will keep everyone posted.
post #114 of 536 Old 09-23-2009, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVersatile View Post

I just sent them an e-mail about this, I also linked them to this thread. I asked them to send me the update, we'll see what happens. I will keep everyone posted.

I just called about it, they wanted to send someone out to do it, said it was more complicated than plugging in an SD card--which it doesn't seem to be, but I guess for legal/responsibility purposes... They're supposed to come Monday. I also mentioned the increasing MLL problem, and he had to escalate it.
post #115 of 536 Old 09-23-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflackey View Post

I don't believe there are any FW fixes for THX mode in the HDMI handshake fix. Based on the dates of when the THX fix was available in Europe and when my set was built I'm pretty sure the update was already installed as part of the mfg process. The HDMI handshake issue is specific to Onkyo AVRs.

As to why it's only available by request I would guess that Panasonic wants to make sure it's good to go before making it available as a general release.
post #116 of 536 Old 09-23-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

I just called about it, they wanted to send someone out to do it, said it was more complicated than plugging in an SD card--which it doesn't seem to be, but I guess for legal/responsibility purposes... They're supposed to come Monday. I also mentioned the increasing MLL problem, and he had to escalate it.

Orta - what was the conversation you had with them? Did they confirm this update fixes issues with THX mode? Thanks.
post #117 of 536 Old 09-23-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Rankings update:

Panasonic has come out with a firmware fix for the color decoding errors that used to plague the G10 and V10 THX mode. It also seems to have slightly upgraded some other aspects of performance, like 1080P/24 resolution and shadow detail. This significantly raised their rankings in my chart.[/i]

Could this color decoding issue be part of what's been causing all the availability problems of the V10s? I have a 58V10 on order from Best Buy that's supposed to arrive by Oct. 1, but I'm not holding my breath.
post #118 of 536 Old 09-23-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Morris View Post

As to why it's only available by request I would guess that Panasonic wants to make sure it's good to go before making it available as a general release.

I think so too, but they better get it out soon before they get flooded with Service Calls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeneff View Post

Could this color decoding issue be part of what's been causing all the availability problems of the V10s? I have a 58V10 on order from Best Buy that's supposed to arrive by Oct. 1, but I'm not holding my breath.

i think demand because of all the promotions. I've seen Panasonic g10/g15/v10 series getting placed on backorder a few times at various stores. Even the S1 is being discounted very very heavily now too.
post #119 of 536 Old 09-23-2009, 03:08 PM

Yeah, the S1 has gotten discounted so heavily, I've been considering asking Best Buy to switch my 58V10 on backorder for a 65S1.
post #120 of 536 Old 09-23-2009, 03:42 PM

Liked: 17
"All ratings are for after a thorough Chad B calibration."

"pop" color MLL viewingAngle versatility shadowDetail stability resolution smooth bonus issues total

Samsung

B7100
6 10 6 2 4 3 2 3 3 -2 (14) 37

Panasonic

G10 (13)
5 5 5 7 4 3 3 2 2 1 37

Samsung

B550
3 8 4 7 2 3 5 3 3 38

Samsung

B860
3 10 4 7 3 (6) 3 5 3 3 41

Panasonic

V10 (13)
4 4 (5) 5 7 2 3 5 2 2 34 - went to 45 - justice

LG

LH90
8 (1) 9 7 4 7 3 4 3 3 -1 (10) 47

Sharp

700UN
7 2 (4) 5 (2) 4 4 4 3 3 3 35

Pioneer 9G

Elite Kuro
10 8 (3) 7 7 5 5 4 3 1 (7) 50

Pioneer

9G Kuro
9 7 7 7 3 5 5 2 1 (7) 46

Sony

60XBR1(11)
2 4 4 6 5 5 1 2 2 2 -1 (9) 32

Sony

34XBR960
8 9 7 7 2 5 5 1 2 -7(8) 39

Panasonic

800u (12)
2 9 4 7 1 3 5 2 2 35
LG PS60 3 7 4 7 1 4 5 3 3 -1 (15) 36

1) would be a 9 or 10 with more local dimming zones

2) would be a 7 with advanced power save on

3) measures perfect, but looks a tiny bit pale

4) measures perfect, but fleshtones don't look natural; or I can make fleshtones look more natural but with the measurements suffering

5) flesh tones look a little too vivid and rich with best measured settings; or I can tone them down but with the measurementsand other colors suffering

6) picks up lots of glare just like the B550, but has a darker looking screen under high ambient light conditions

7) colors look grainy the closer you get to it

8) convergence, geometry, and purity issues vary from sample to sample but are always there

9) very slight convergence, geometry, and focus issues may or may not occur

10) occasional motion issues

11) also applies to other sizes; also applies to XBR2 and a2000 series SXRD

12) THX mode

13) Custom mode

14) Some cloudiness, or uneven illumination, to the set's blacks

15) Poorly implemented calibration adjustments
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page