Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 103 Old 10-29-2009, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

I am a V10 owner and I will not try to convince anyone that the V10 is worth the price differential over the same S1 or in smaller sizes the G10.

However, as I planned on keeping my TV a minimum of three years (the wife thinks longer, LOL), I wanted the best picture available for what I had to spend. The tech that sits on the other side of the cubicle from me just purchased an S1 and I have helped him with setup and am quite familiar with both units.

The OP noted the four additional features on the V10 series. Here is my opinion on what they may or may not be worth.

24p Cinematic Playback

This one meant quite a lot to me as this preserved the original feel of film based materials. If you do not have an extensive film based Blu-Ray collection, or if it's not in your plans to begin to accumulate an extensive film based Blu-Ray collection, then this feature means little or nothing. 24p playback is available only on Blu-Ray, not DVD. If you have been watching DVD's on a standard TV (which look extremely good) and are happy with them, then don't add any weight to this feature. My wife and I love it, but we love movies. Actually, my wife can not always see the difference between 60hz playback with 3:2 pulldown or 96hz/24p playback. It probably depends on how well the material was transferred.

Digital Cinema Color
This is the expanded color format. Currently there is no content available using this format, so it is not worth very much. Turned off on my V10.

x.v. Color
This makes the device compatible with content recorded with x.v. color. To my knowledge, there is no commercial content or broadcast content using this. I know Sony marketed this as a feature on some of their camcorders a few years ago. Do not know if it is still around or not. Again, little or no value to most people.

THX Mode
This is really a plus and one of the reasons I purchased the V10 or the other models. THX mode gives very accurate color and gray scale right out of the box. Better than almost anyone can do by eye. Initial sets with this had an antique look (leaned towards yellow). This was corrected by a firmware update and I believe all of the new Panasonic TV's since July with this feature have the corrected firmware.

Saying all of that, I don't use THX as some of the settings for Custom mode in the V10 settings forum look just a little bit brighter while maintaining the color balance of the THX mode.

If you plan on having your set professionally calibrated or you enjoy playing with the settings yourself and have a decent reference, like Digital Video Essentials, THX may not mean very much to you. If you want to take it out of the box, set it and forget it, THX has a great deal of value.

Flicker is not an issue with either set. Some people notice flicker on the 96hz/24p mode which, unless there is something wrong with their set, is actually the cadence of 24 frame per second film. Some folks don't like this as they are more used to the smoother playback from 60hz 3:2 pulldown for film based material.

There is absolutely no problem watching Blu-Ray or Sports. Both units handle these incredibly well.

My friends S1 looks as good in his home as my V10 looks in mine. We have adjusted the user settings to get as good a picture as possible using Digital Video Essentials and our own eyes, no test equipment. When at his house his S1 looks terrific. When at my house, the V10 looks terrific. How would they look side by side, I really don't know. I think they would be very close. Some people might see some differences, some people wouldn't.

The two features that steered me to the V10 were 24p cinematic playback and the extra user level picture adjustments not available in the other models. If these are important to you, then the V10 is a better choice. If not, take the extra money and get a top notch Blu-Ray player, a good sound system, take your wife out to dinner and a movie and a night in a fancy hotel, buy the S1 and pocket the difference.

thants great info! Something for me to chew on. nice hotel like the Montoge in Laguna Beach??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivman View Post

The V10 is a noticably better display than the S1. The colors are much nicer and the black levels seem much deeper. That said, they are basically the same panels and the differences really come in the form of adjustability and the handling of the 24fps.

My thought is this. If you are willing to spend upwords of 4 grand on the V10, I think you're better off saving a grand and getting a KRP-600M. Yes, you are giving up 5" of screen, but more than making up for it with PQ. If you want the screen size, I would probably get the S1 display and hope to get it for 2200-2300 bucks. I just can't see 1500+ worth of quality in the V10 over the S1... especially when you can get a KRP-600M for around 3 grand

Thank you for the reply. currently the 65v10 can be had for 1100 less than retail (retail is 3999). The S1 thru my EPP can be had for only 800 bucks less than retail (retail is 3199). So net savings on an S1 would be 500 bucks. thats not going to break the bank. But it will allow me to get that top notch BD player a lot sooner, or that new reciever a lot sooner. but the v10 will allow me more control to PQ and what not. no clue what 24p is either. UH...Decisions decisions...I'm the type of guy that like the best he can afford. I'm NOT shelling out 4kfor the kuro. i know its only 1k more than what my budget is, but not going to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 103 Old 10-29-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

all i can say is i did decide to go w/ the 65s1 instead of the v do to price/availability. i myself do not have a problem viewing a blu-ray and using 3:2 pulldown. the cost diff. is about 40% less going the S route and even though you get some added extra features and picture settings its not justifiable in the price diff. you will get 95% of the picture quality (esp if you calibrate it) as opposed to the V jmho....

I've gotta do some SERIOUS research I guess. I have no clue what 3:2 pulldown is! YIKES! 95% PQ is good! I've seen both the S1 and V10 in different stores, and the S1 when viewed next to the LCD looked amazing! The V10 when viewed next to a samsung plasma looked similar, maybe not a crisp as the sammy. but i'm not going with a sammy. I've yet to see the S1 and V10 side by side. Take nothing from the S1 tho. It does look GREAT! So did the V10 tho! Oh...to boot, the 58v10 is 1k cheaper than the 65v10..and about the same as a 65S1. why is this such a hard decision? its only money LOL.
post #33 of 103 Old 10-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch View Post

thants great info! Something for me to chew on. nice hotel like the Montoge in Laguna Beach??

Thank you for the reply. currently the 65v10 can be had for 1100 less than retail (retail is 3999). The S1 thru my EPP can be had for only 800 bucks less than retail (retail is 3199). So net savings on an S1 would be 500 bucks. thats not going to break the bank. But it will allow me to get that top notch BD player a lot sooner, or that new reciever a lot sooner. but the v10 will allow me more control to PQ and what not. no clue what 24p is either. UH...Decisions decisions...I'm the type of guy that like the best he can afford. I'm NOT shelling out 4kfor the kuro. i know its only 1k more than what my budget is, but not going to do that.

I wouldn't advise shelling out 4K for a KRP Kuro when the street price is only about 3 grand! given the pricing you are getting the V10 is the better value at a 500 buck premium, but considering the kuro is about the same price as the V10, it becomes a harder decision. 5" screen size increase is nice, but the kuro has such nicer PQ that even the average joe can tell the difference.
post #34 of 103 Old 10-29-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:

How are you getting V10 for $2899 ($3999-$1100) ...??

At that price, I will go with V10
post #35 of 103 Old 10-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

have you compared the two, to make that statement? much deeper and much nicer is a little far fetched imo...maybe a little deeper and a little nicer is a better statement, but perhaps you feel otherwise.

I did compare the two. They are the same panels, but the adjustability of the V10 is what allows for the noticable difference. On either set I couldn't get the colors to my liking. Both seemed a bit washed. I was able to get dramatically deeper blacks with the V10 playing with settings. The blacks are what give the picture depth and this is where the most of the difference comes from IMHO
post #36 of 103 Old 10-29-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raks View Post

How are you getting V10 for $2899 ($3999-$1100) ...??

At that price, I will go with V10

EPP...Check with your company and see if you get a panasonic discount.
post #37 of 103 Old 10-29-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivman View Post

I wouldn't advise shelling out 4K for a KRP Kuro when the street price is only about 3 grand! given the pricing you are getting the V10 is the better value at a 500 buck premium, but considering the kuro is about the same price as the V10, it becomes a harder decision. 5" screen size increase is nice, but the kuro has such nicer PQ that even the average joe can tell the difference.

I am an average Joe...And I can tell the difference. I was at BB today, again...the Kuro pro-151 is 3999. still a grand more than what I expected to pay. Where are you seeing them for 3k? THis was for the 60 inch. thanks
post #38 of 103 Old 11-01-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:

EPP...Check with your company and see if you get a panasonic discount.

You can do better than EPP sometimes much better. Some big box store has a current name your own price promo. Give it shot. You should be able to get the S for 2200-2300. Not sure about the V. But I would think it would be similarly discounted.

JT
post #39 of 103 Old 11-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

whats is EPP?

Xbox live- SER 182
Mix Cloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/Ser182/
post #40 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 02:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser182 View Post

whats is EPP?

Employee Purchase Program
post #41 of 103 Old 11-16-2009, 07:51 PM

I was able to see a 58" S1 and a 50" V10 at BB and could not tell the difference in picture quality with the HD source provided. However the aesthetics of the V10 are much better. I love the completely covered glass look and the ease of cleaning "dusting" as well as the protection from the elements on the front of the V10 over the S1. The V10 has one piece of glass type of material over the bezel almost completely flush with the frame. The S1 is like most plasmas and LCDs with the actual "screen" being indented from the bezel. Getting the dust completely out of those corners is difficult at best in my experience. I'm still not sure if that is worth the $500 to $1K premium so I sit here on a fence.
post #42 of 103 Old 11-18-2009, 08:45 PM

I was finally able to see a 65" V10 today. It does not have the covered glass. Strange the 50" does. I would have been PO'd getting this thing delivered without the look of the 50" covered glass.
post #43 of 103 Old 11-18-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehazer View Post

I was finally able to see a 65" V10 today. It does not have the covered glass. Strange the 50" does. I would have been PO'd getting this thing delivered without the look of the 50" covered glass.

The 50V10 and 54V10 have the one sheet of glass design while the 58V10 and 65V10 do not.
post #44 of 103 Old 11-18-2009, 11:26 PM

Haven't looked at the big screens for a while, but have been happy with my 55" Hitachi for some time now. Well I'm looking around as it's bonus time again, and what???!! 65" new Panys for $2500 or so... Times have changed...again. I could definately use more screen, and these dispalys would be an improvement to what I'm running now. Question is, how long have these been at this price point, and could it get that much better? Is there some new technology next year or so that one can't do without?

Even BB is doing the S1 for 2599, and they insist on 36 mo. free money.
post #45 of 103 Old 11-20-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:

I've gotta do some SERIOUS research I guess. I have no clue what 3:2 pulldown is! YIKES! 95% PQ is good! I've seen both the S1 and V10 in different stores, and the S1 when viewed next to the LCD looked amazing! The V10 when viewed next to a samsung plasma looked similar, maybe not a crisp as the sammy. but i'm not going with a sammy. I've yet to see the S1 and V10 side by side. Take nothing from the S1 tho. It does look GREAT! So did the V10 tho! Oh...to boot, the 58v10 is 1k cheaper than the 65v10..and about the same as a 65S1. why is this such a hard decision? its only money LOL.

Stretch, 3:2 pulldown, as I understand it. Movie was filmed at 24 fps. However, some tv's cannot reproduce that correctly, so they change the frequency to 60 vice 24. that's a 3:2 ratio. This is very simplified, and I understand it better than I can explain it. As a result, sometimes there is jitter, or judder because of what all has to be manipulated to reproduce the picture. I don't know if I ever see it or not. My Panny is about 3 yrs old, and I'm looking now for a new one. The V10 with 96hz may remove that judder, since you don't have the 3:2 conversion. Again, I've been watching blu rays on mine without any trouble with 3:2 and am still in awe of the picture even on a 720 display. Can't wait to get to 1080.
I'm sure there's someone else here who can better explain what I did. Hope it's helpful.
post #46 of 103 Old 11-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

One difference not mentioned is the sub-pixel control that the V10 has but the S1 does not. Does anyone know this affects the picture?

And, I thought if you knew what you were doing that you could tweak both the V10 and S1 exactly the same, but it's a lot more work on the latter as there are no pre-set settings like on the V10, or is that not true?
post #47 of 103 Old 11-29-2009, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys.. so I had my 65" V10 Panasonic installed a couple days ago and unfortunately I see this "flickering" when there are bright scenes set against dark objects. It seems like other people have noticed this too. So I am now looking at the 65" Sony LCD W series. Any thoughts? I was really hoping for this to work out and I even waited several months for the Panasonic. Now I'm stuck with spending at least another $1,000 for the Sony! Not good but I feel like I don't have any other choice..... What do you think?
post #48 of 103 Old 11-29-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandre2 View Post

Hey guys.. so I had my 65" V10 Panasonic installed a couple days ago and unfortunately I see this "flickering" when there are bright scenes set against dark objects. It seems like other people have noticed this too. So I am now looking at the 65" Sony LCD W series. Any thoughts? I was really hoping for this to work out and I even waited several months for the Panasonic. Now I'm stuck with spending at least another $1,000 for the Sony! Not good but I feel like I don't have any other choice..... What do you think?

Are you saying that you see flickering with blu-rays, or just in general?

I have the p65v10 and do not have any flickering issues with cable or blu-rays.

For blu-rays, to exploit 24p and not have any issues,
I had to set the panny blu-ray player so that '24p' output mode was 'on',
and then on the p65v10 I had to set the '24p direct mode in' to 96hz (as there seems to be issues for some with 60hz and 48hz).

I noticed the 24p smoothed out the picture. A test case I used was the credits for a pixar 'shorts' blu-ray.
post #49 of 103 Old 11-29-2009, 09:38 PM

The flickering I see only has to do with bright scenes set against dark objects and it is only visible with my peripheral vision. I'm not referring to the jitter or shakiness with the entire picture. I guess it's like seeing the rainbow effect on DLP's which I see all the time. Looks like I'm just sensitive to some stuff! It's weird because I see the same thing on my 50" Hitachi but NOT my other 50" Panasonic S series. Oh well.. A 65" Sony it will be... I hope it's a good TV! Thanks
post #50 of 103 Old 11-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
For the folks who don't undertand what 1080p/24 does, it matches the movie exactly how it's on the disk, either Blu-ray or regular DVD.

Keeping it simple, it eliminates any processing being applied to the 24fps movie so that it can play on a 60hz TV. Just remember that your DVD player has to output 1080p/24 as well, as the PS3 does and so does the $100 LG BD270 (and my Toshiba HD-XA2, remember that one....lol...still a bad ass upconverting DVD player and utilized just for that purpose every single day, rock on).

That should be your goal if what you seek is an accurate representation of the movie.

Do yourself a favor and invest in it, it really is worth it. All the other marketing mumbo jumbo hype like Deep Color, X.V.Color is just that, marketing CaCa!

1080p/24 does offer a noticeable difference in how the movie plays and it's definately an improvement because of how smooth it all looks.

Now don't get 1080p/24 confused with Dejudder, Smooth Motion, Anti Blur, 120hz and 240hz.

Bottom line folks, 1080p/24 is the grail of movie settings, maybe not the only one with actual real world benefits, but it's up there at the top.

Do yourself a favor and save your money so that a 1080p/24 TV set can be purchased over one that doesn't offer it.

And no, I haven't been payed by the 1080p/24 consortium and nor do I belong to the 1080p/24 Illuminati cult.......Not yet anyways .
post #51 of 103 Old 11-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Now that I've given some advise on all things 1080p/24, it's time for me to seek some advise for myself.

I own a 52XBR5, love it.

Has all the features I enjoy taking advantage of, especially the 1080p/24 feature and even once in awhile if i'm in the mood I'll turn the dejudder onto high.

Time for a 65" to replace my 52" which will be going into the bedroom.

It's come down between the 65" V10 Plasma vs the Sony 65W5100 LCD.

Only negative I see with the V10 is the dreaded burn issues associated with Plasmas and the 132lbs vs Sony's 103lbs (around there).

But the price is $500 less than the Sony and I'm happy to see that the 1080p/24 has received good reviews at the 96Hz refresh rate.

I'm just nervous of going the Plasma route for many obvious and not so obvious reasons.

LCD's have pretty much provided the level of quality which I find acceptable although if I had the money at the time, I would've purchased the Pioneer Kuro which still to this day presented the best high def image I have ever seen but followed very closely behind by the Samsung 8500 LCD.

I am enough into this "hobby" that I do use a calibration disc for all my settings and not "blast" them into the stratosphere believing that's what makes for an excellent picture.

Pretty much I'm just slightly confused which way to go especially since most "high end" TV's are starting to produce an excellent picture as long as they're appropriately calibrated and the technology along the chain of devices and their connections matches what it is that you're trying to accomplish, 1080p/24, high def audio, etc.

One of the things i'm worried about is CES 2010. What does Panasonic have up their sleeve for their 65" sets? Thinner, lighter, maybe dejudder (actually, can that tech even exist in a plasma display?), 3D, HDMI 1.4?

Should I wait? Man I suck at waiting by the way

Anyone here want to give a shot at convincing me that the 65" V10 is the way to go.

Thank you for this most excellent forum.

Joe
post #52 of 103 Old 11-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

I am a V10 owner and I will not try to convince anyone that the V10 is worth the price differential over the same S1 or in smaller sizes the G10.

However, as I planned on keeping my TV a minimum of three years (the wife thinks longer, LOL), I wanted the best picture available for what I had to spend. The tech that sits on the other side of the cubicle from me just purchased an S1 and I have helped him with setup and am quite familiar with both units.

The OP noted the four additional features on the V10 series. Here is my opinion on what they may or may not be worth.

24p Cinematic Playback

This one meant quite a lot to me as this preserved the original feel of film based materials. If you do not have an extensive film based Blu-Ray collection, or if it's not in your plans to begin to accumulate an extensive film based Blu-Ray collection, then this feature means little or nothing. 24p playback is available only on Blu-Ray, not DVD. If you have been watching DVD's on a standard TV (which look extremely good) and are happy with them, then don't add any weight to this feature. My wife and I love it, but we love movies. Actually, my wife can not always see the difference between 60hz playback with 3:2 pulldown or 96hz/24p playback. It probably depends on how well the material was transferred.

Digital Cinema Color
This is the expanded color format. Currently there is no content available using this format, so it is not worth very much. Turned off on my V10.

x.v. Color
This makes the device compatible with content recorded with x.v. color. To my knowledge, there is no commercial content or broadcast content using this. I know Sony marketed this as a feature on some of their camcorders a few years ago. Do not know if it is still around or not. Again, little or no value to most people.

THX Mode
This is really a plus and one of the reasons I purchased the V10 or the other models. THX mode gives very accurate color and gray scale right out of the box. Better than almost anyone can do by eye. Initial sets with this had an antique look (leaned towards yellow). This was corrected by a firmware update and I believe all of the new Panasonic TV's since July with this feature have the corrected firmware.

Saying all of that, I don't use THX as some of the settings for Custom mode in the V10 settings forum look just a little bit brighter while maintaining the color balance of the THX mode.

If you plan on having your set professionally calibrated or you enjoy playing with the settings yourself and have a decent reference, like Digital Video Essentials, THX may not mean very much to you. If you want to take it out of the box, set it and forget it, THX has a great deal of value.

Flicker is not an issue with either set. Some people notice flicker on the 96hz/24p mode which, unless there is something wrong with their set, is actually the cadence of 24 frame per second film. Some folks don't like this as they are more used to the smoother playback from 60hz 3:2 pulldown for film based material.

There is absolutely no problem watching Blu-Ray or Sports. Both units handle these incredibly well.

My friends S1 looks as good in his home as my V10 looks in mine. We have adjusted the user settings to get as good a picture as possible using Digital Video Essentials and our own eyes, no test equipment. When at his house his S1 looks terrific. When at my house, the V10 looks terrific. How would they look side by side, I really don't know. I think they would be very close. Some people might see some differences, some people wouldn't.

The two features that steered me to the V10 were 24p cinematic playback and the extra user level picture adjustments not available in the other models. If these are important to you, then the V10 is a better choice. If not, take the extra money and get a top notch Blu-Ray player, a good sound system, take your wife out to dinner and a movie and a night in a fancy hotel, buy the S1 and pocket the difference.

Overall an excellent post and very good advise but a few items which I wanted to address.

Quote:

24p playback is available only on Blu-Ray, not DVD.

24p is not indigenous to Blu-ray. All Blu-ray does is add the extra resolution. Movies are 24fps regardless if they're on regular DVD or Blu-ray. I watch all my DVDs, not just BR, at 1080p/24, they're just upconverted.

Quote:

Some people notice flicker on the 96hz/24p mode which, unless there is something wrong with their set, is actually the cadence of 24 frame per second film. Some folks don't like this as they are more used to the smoother playback from 60hz 3:2 pulldown for film based material.

Unless i'm reading the flicker explanation incorrectly, 3:2 when applied is definately not smoother than 24hz hence the reason to use 1080p/24 to begin with, so that a smoother presentation of the movie can be experienced.

Thank you
post #53 of 103 Old 12-01-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever View Post

Only negative I see with the V10 is the dreaded burn issues associated with Plasmas and the 132lbs vs Sony's 103lbs (around there).

The burn issues are really non-existent. You can get temporary image retention if you do something that is on the screen for hours at a time. That typically goes away shortly with additional viewing. You have to try hard to cause IR on most plasma sets.

Quote:

I would've purchased the Pioneer Kuro which still to this day presented the best high def image I have ever seen but followed very closely behind by the Samsung 8500 LCD.

You can still find the Kuros on the web, including at some of the AVS sponsors. Buy one and be happy.
post #54 of 103 Old 12-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop 99 View Post

The burn issues are really non-existent. You can get temporary image retention if you do something that is on the screen for hours at a time. That typically goes away shortly with additional viewing. You have to try hard to cause IR on most plasma sets.

You can still find the Kuros on the web, including at some of the AVS sponsors. Buy one and be happy.

That's definately good to hear about the burn issues.

That sounds like good advise to get the Kuro but more than likely I will probably be going with the 65V10 which leads me to this:

Does the Panasonic Purchase Program fluctuate in prices very much.

They have the 65V10 for $2,880.00 and the 65S1 for $2,300.00!!

That's insane.

Does that price go up and down or has it been like that for awhile?

Thank you
post #55 of 103 Old 12-01-2009, 09:04 PM

BB will sell the S1 for that price too. I've had the S1 set up since yesterday turned down some, and just a quick eye ball setting, and it looks fantastic. After break in and some calibration it will be real nice. 65" or bust....
post #56 of 103 Old 12-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motovet View Post

BB will sell the S1 for that price too. I've had the S1 set up since yesterday turned down some, and just a quick eye ball setting, and it looks fantastic. After break in and some calibration it will be real nice. 65" or bust....

I agree, 65" or bust

I'm done with those tiny 52 inchers

But for me it's 65" with 1080p/24 or bust

I wonder what the build dates are for the 65V10 sold via PPP.
post #57 of 103 Old 12-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

UH...Decisions decisions...I'm the type of guy that like the best he can afford. I'm NOT shelling out 4kfor the kuro. i know its only 1k more than what my budget is, but not going to do that.

LOL. This reminds me of when I bought my first plasma back in 2002. I initially budgeted $3500 for a rear projection HDTV. Then I saw some industrial Pioneers for $5000 and thought, what the heck, if I'm paying $3500 already, might as well get what I really want for $1500 more.

Then, I saw the Fujitsu plasma and I just had to have it. So, I went from my initial $3500 budget and ended up buying a Fujitsu for just under $9000.

7 yrs later, I paid less than $3K for a 60" Pioneer 600M Kuro and feel like I got the bargain of the century.
post #58 of 103 Old 12-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenH View Post

LOL. This reminds me of when I bought my first plasma back in 2002. I initially budgeted $3500 for a rear projection HDTV. Then I saw some industrial Pioneers for $5000 and thought, what the heck, if I'm paying $3500 already, might as well get what I really want for $1500 more.

Then, I saw the Fujitsu plasma and I just had to have it. So, I went from my initial $3500 budget and ended up buying a Fujitsu for just under $9000.

7 yrs later, I paid less than $3K for a 60" Pioneer 600M Kuro and feel like I got the bargain of the century.

It's true, I think most of us on here can think back to our "first" Plasma purchase and wince.

Mine was in 2004, an open box floor display Samsung 50" 720p DVI (not even HDMI) Plasma for.....for....you ready, $4,200.00!

Ouch!

This week i'll be ordering a brand new 65" 1080p/24 Plasma for $2,880.00!!!
post #59 of 103 Old 12-02-2009, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever View Post

It's true, I think most of us on here can think back to our "first" Plasma purchase and wince.

Mine was in 2004, an open box floor display Samsung 50" 720p DVI (not even HDMI) Plasma for.....for....you ready, $4,200.00!

Ouch!

This week i'll be ordering a brand new 65" 1080p/24 Plasma for $2,880.00!!!

I can relate to your post. In 2003 I bought a Panasonic 42" ED (480p) plasma for $3000.00. Now you can find 42" 1080p plasmas for $699.00 or less. You are getting your 65" for $120.00 less than I paid for my 42" ED plasma. It is amazing how far the plasma technology has come and how manufacturers have cut costs to benefit the consumer.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #60 of 103 Old 12-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I can relate to your post. In 2003 I bought a Panasonic 42" ED (480p) plasma for $3000.00. Now you can find 42" 1080p plasmas for $699.00 or less. You are getting your 65" for $120.00 less than I paid for my 42" ED plasma. It is amazing how far the plasma technology has come and how manufacturers have cut costs to benefit the consumer.

Bill

Well said Bill
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page