Did I just turn my Samsung PN58B550 into a 560? Yes I did! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 241 Old 08-31-2009, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just changed the model of my Samsung with one setting in the service menu! Write down all you settings before you proceed they will be set back to factory default when you enter the service menu.

First enter the service menu with the TV off by pressing mute, 1, 8, 2, then power. Press enter with option highlighted then the down arrow twice to get to model then press enter and the left arrow once and then enter again, your model should now be listed as PB560, now press the power button to exit the service menu and once more to turn the TV back on. Now put on some 24p content and Cinema Smooth is now an option in the menu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 241 Old 08-31-2009, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 110
interesting. i wonder if it's really working or just letting you select it in the menu and really not doing anything. i thought it was confirmed that the difference between the 550 and 560 was hardware, and not just a setting in the firmware. something about the 560 having the crystal full hd engine or something.

Nearfield music: Laptop w/REW & Equalizer APO -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2

H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel

My last.fm profile

post #3 of 241 Old 08-31-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll do a visual test with the Kung Fu Panda credits after my daughter is done watching Chicken Little. Is the Crystal Full HD engine a hardware or software engine?
post #4 of 241 Old 08-31-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is absolutely working! I just tested the credits for Kung Fu Panda and it was silky smooth without a single judder!
post #5 of 241 Old 08-31-2009, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

I just changed the model of my Samsung with one setting in the service menu! Write down all you settings before you proceed they will be set back to factory default when you enter the service menu.

First enter the service menu with the TV off by pressing mute, 1, 8, 2, then power. Press enter with option highlighted then the down arrow twice to get to model then press enter and the left arrow once and then enter again, your model should now be listed as PB560, now press the power button to exit the service menu and once more to turn the TV back on. Now put on some 24p content and Cinema Smooth is now an option in the menu.

This doesn't surprise me. This same service menu option was found a while ago and reported here on the 850, effectively making it an 860 (but for the day/night calibration option). It also makes the 63" 550 a deal over the 590 (especially with the current deals running on the 550), but for the better anti-glare filter and speakers...

I just wish the Cinema Smooth feature didn't totally suck, at least on my 590 and many other people's sets. It kills the picture with severe dithering (tiny sparkling pixel noise) that is distracting and appears to brighten the image from a distance.

I had hoped after reading about this hidden feature in the 850 that we'd find other Easter eggs in the service menu but no such luck on my 590. D-Nice played around in the service menu last night when calibrating my set and while it has the expert menu and even a day/night option, all the gutss of that feature are missing, as is color management. Its clear Samsung seems to have started with one master firmware then stripped out features selectively for various models. For whatever reason, whether intentionally or accidentally, they didn't strip out Cinema Smooth. I bet it's in all 2009 models.
post #6 of 241 Old 08-31-2009, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

This doesn't surprise me. This same service menu option was found a while ago and reported here on the 850, effectively making it an 860 (but for the day/night calibration option). It also makes the 63" 550 a deal over the 590 (especially with the current deals running on the 550), but for the better anti-glare filter and speakers...

I just wish the Cinema Smooth feature didn't totally suck, at least on my 590 and many other people's sets. It kills the picture with severe dithering (tiny sparkling pixel noise) that is distracting and appears to brighten the image from a distance.

I had hoped after reading about this hidden feature in the 850 that we'd find other Easter eggs in the service menu but no such luck on my 590. D-Nice played around in the service menu last night when calibrating my set and while it has the expert menu and even a day/night option, all the gutss of that feature are missing, as is color management. Its clear Samsung seems to have started with one master firmware then stripped out features selectively for various models. For whatever reason, whether intentionally or accidentally, they didn't strip out Cinema Smooth. I bet it's in all 2009 models.

Cinema Smooth seems to knock the gamma up a couple notches when engaged so I have to set it to -2 in the user menu to get the picture right. The expert mode in the service menu is inaccessible also on the 550/560, it would have been nice but I'll live with the nice little free upgrade I just got.
post #7 of 241 Old 09-01-2009, 08:15 PM

Liked: 11
I have the 42b450 and it worked on mine also, cinema smooth is now there, I havent had the chance to try it out yet though but what I did find out that mediaplay(usb) is now there and I was able to hook up my external hd to the tv using usb service input and it rocognized the hd and let me see picture and music. It did't give me any option for movies though bummer but I guess just being able to use the usb is good enough
post #8 of 241 Old 09-01-2009, 11:40 PM

Liked: 10
Just tried this and can't get my new PN58B550 to enter into the service mode. This set is only a week old. Any suggestions?
post #9 of 241 Old 09-02-2009, 12:31 AM

You tried mute 1 8 2 then power, sometimes you have to do it a few times for it to enter into service mode
post #10 of 241 Old 09-02-2009, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestpractice View Post

Just tried this and can't get my new PN58B550 to enter into the service mode. This set is only a week old. Any suggestions?

Make sure the set is fully powered off and then press mute, 1, 8, 2, power on the remote.
post #11 of 241 Old 09-02-2009, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cinema Smooth seems to knock the gamma up a couple notches when engaged so I have to set it to -2 in the user menu to get the picture right. The expert mode in the service menu is inaccessible also on the 550/560, it would have been nice but I'll live with the nice little free upgrade I just got.

Adjusting the gamma doesn't work for me. I'm not seeing simply a lighter picture -- I am seeing thousands and thousands of single-pixel-sized noise (they are not static but constantly gone and go randomly) in the picture spread consistently all over the screen that goes away completely when Cinema Smooth is disengaged. It is really easy to see up close in letterboxing -- its more subtle in the video stream, but still there.
post #12 of 241 Old 09-03-2009, 06:45 PM

What's the firmware on your TV? Mine is 16.....Samsung's Firmware update on their website is only 13. I wonder if they've turned it off in firmware? I've punched mute, 1,8,2, power until the remote's battery is almost dead. Still no service menu.....

Bestpractice
post #13 of 241 Old 09-03-2009, 07:40 PM

Update: Got it to work finally. I have no idea why it would not work previously though I turned on the DVD player to begin the Plasma Burn DVD before I powered on the TV. That seemed to make the service menu pop up. Changed the settings as instructed in this thread and now my 550 thinks it's a 560.

Thanks to all,

Bestpractice
post #14 of 241 Old 09-09-2009, 03:06 PM

The above procedure seemed to work for me. My PN58B550 now has "Cinema Smooth" in the options. Have not had time to see if it actually does anything. Will report my findings.
post #15 of 241 Old 09-09-2009, 03:26 PM

Liked: 12
I wonder if I can turn my 650 into an 860?? You know, replace the red bezel with the grey one and shave 2 inches off the depth.

Good for all those 550 owners that were about to do this. What's the price difference between the 550 and 560? Was CS the only difference?
post #16 of 241 Old 09-10-2009, 01:54 PM

is it better to chose the PB560 or PB590?
post #17 of 241 Old 09-10-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyInTheChair View Post

is it better to chose the PB560 or PB590?

Appels-to-oranges. The 590 is exclusively a 63" model and the 560 does not have a 63" version. Size aside, they are similar, though the 590 has a better anti-glare filter and it may (I do not recall) have better speakers.
post #18 of 241 Old 09-11-2009, 07:31 AM

Any idea if this would work on a 540? Sams only carries the 540 model, which I havent seen very much info on. Anyone familiar with this model???
post #19 of 241 Old 09-11-2009, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reguy View Post

Any idea if this would work on a 540? Sams only carries the 540 model, which I havent seen very much info on. Anyone familiar with this model???

You can bump the 540 up to 560, all the 5 series are the same panels.
post #20 of 241 Old 09-11-2009, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can bump the 540 up to 560, all the 5 series are the same panels.

Maybe the firmware, but the 590 has the better anti-glare coating that's on the 6 series.
post #21 of 241 Old 09-11-2009, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe the firmware, but the 590 has the better anti-glare coating that's on the 6 series.

The 590 is for 63" only though.
post #22 of 241 Old 09-14-2009, 08:18 AM

should I press and release : mute, 1, 8, 2, power with every command? as soon as i hit the "1" the TV turns on at channel 1 SD.?
post #23 of 241 Old 09-14-2009, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBuzzzzz View Post

should I press and release : mute, 1, 8, 2, power with every command? as soon as i hit the "1" the TV turns on at channel 1 SD.?

You have to start with the power off.
post #24 of 241 Old 09-18-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjbh5 View Post

I wonder if I can turn my 650 into an 860?? You know, replace the red bezel with the grey one and shave 2 inches off the depth.

Good for all those 550 owners that were about to do this. What's the price difference between the 550 and 560? Was CS the only difference?

Found out last night that you actually CAN make your 650 into an 850 or 860 (obviously not the bezel color or thinness). Not sure what advantage it would do for you though (I didn't try it). You can turn on the Cal-Day/Night though for the 650. I did so and did a non-meter calibration in the user menu afterwards. I'm pretty sure it doesn't start with Movie mode as it's basis. Seemed like you can make it brighter than Movie mode will ever go. Would be interested to see some others calibration settings under these as compared to what they get from Movie. One other interesting note, it looked like you could also turn it into an LED tv as they were also models listed. Not the 5xx or 4xx series plasmas though or they were past the LED's (I didn't go any further when I hit them). I originally went in to look at hours and got distracted by all this other and never did find them (they didn't seem to be where I've seen people say they were supposed to be in the PDP Options). I wish I could find some documentation on what some of the other stuff does in the Service Menu. Very interesting...
post #25 of 241 Old 09-18-2009, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerUp! View Post

Found out last night that you actually CAN make your 650 into an 850 or 860 (obviously not the bezel color or thinness). Not sure what advantage it would do for you though (I didn't try it). You can turn on the Cal-Day/Night though for the 650. I did so and did a non-meter calibration in the user menu afterwards. I'm pretty sure it doesn't start with Movie mode as it's basis. Seemed like you can make it brighter than Movie mode will ever go. Would be interested to see some others calibration settings under these as compared to what they get from Movie. One other interesting note, it looked like you could also turn it into an LED tv as they were also models listed. Not the 5xx or 4xx series plasmas though or they were past the LED's (I didn't go any further when I hit them). I originally went in to look at hours and got distracted by all this other and never did find them (they didn't seem to be where I've seen people say they were supposed to be in the PDP Options). I wish I could find some documentation on what some of the other stuff does in the Service Menu. Very interesting...

Just to clarify, you confirmed you had the full features of the day/night calibration after you did this? For example, D-Nice found the day/night cal features in the service menu of my 590 but siad that they were striped out of full functionailty. So the idea of the feature was there but not the full guts that would allow for 2 customer picture modes. The 650 is different of course, so it doesn't surprise me it would be different but just checking...
post #26 of 241 Old 09-20-2009, 04:22 PM

For anyone that changed there tv model# to 560 or 590, I was wondering if it also gave you auto1 and auto2 or just the CS. I have the 450 and I changed it to the 560 and CS is now there but not auto1 or auto2. Also does anyone know if CS works by the firmware telling the TV to change the refresh rate from 60 to 96 or does it also need hardware to do the changing. thanks
post #27 of 241 Old 09-20-2009, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the 590 and it just has "Auto" but not Auto1 and Auto2.
post #28 of 241 Old 09-20-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Just to clarify, you confirmed you had the full features of the day/night calibration after you did this? For example, D-Nice found the day/night cal features in the service menu of my 590 but siad that they were striped out of full functionailty. So the idea of the feature was there but not the full guts that would allow for 2 customer picture modes. The 650 is different of course, so it doesn't surprise me it would be different but just checking...

Yes, I now have the Cal-Day and Cal-Night modes and am able to put in different settings for each just like any other mode (I did them through the user settings and not in the sm). When I activated them, I had the option of either making them available for just the current source or all sources. I chose all. They seem to have the ability to go brighter than the movie mode and have the ability to set all of the color sources, unlike standard. Right now I'm using one for trying other peoples settings and the other for my own basic calibration as I don't have measurement equipment (yet) and I'm still only a little over 100 hrs. Eventually, I will use them as intended for a brighter daytime setting for watching sports and a nighttime one.
post #29 of 241 Old 09-20-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:

I have the 590 and it just has "Auto" but not Auto1 and Auto2.

Thanks Citivas, hmm where did I get the auto1 and auto2 from maybe the 650 or 850/860 thread. read so much good stuff I sometimes forget where I read it from

Citivas whats your opinion on CS being just firmware based or both hardware and firmware? The reason I ask is because mine being the 450 and 720p it uses a different panel then the 500 series.
post #30 of 241 Old 09-21-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanpol View Post

Citivas whats your opinion on CS being just firmware based or both hardware and firmware? The reason I ask is because mine being the 450 and 720p it uses a different panel then the 500 series.

Whether the CS can be fixed purely with a firmware update is an open question.

In the it CAN be fixed with firmware camp are:
-- Some people insist they have made the problem go away with a work-around reported in this forum. It didn't work for me so I can't speak to it first hand. But if it did work, then it suggests there is no hardware issue and it is merely a software bug.
-- Similarly, some people say they have made the problem invisible with a change tot eh gamma settings. If so, theoretically it should be something the could compensate for similarly in the software.
-- Logically, it feels like a software issue. Assuming it is legitimately doing 96Hz (which none of us have any way of knowing or testing that I can think of), any noise or picture alteration should be a digital processing artifact and theoretically be fixed by the firmware. That might not be true if the artifacts appeared in every picture mode, which might suggest a chip issue, but since they don't, it seems like some mistake introduced only in CS mode. If so, that's software.

In the it may NOT be fixable with a firmware update camp are:
-- The biggest reason to be skeptical is that they haven't fixed it yet, despite many firmware revisions. This probably was first reported many months ago, right after these models hit the market. It unequivocally is the biggest persistent and reported problem with the model line other than the buzzing. So if it were a software problem it's a little suspicious they haven't found the fix yet. It seems like it would be simple if it were a firmware issue.
-- Some people insist they don't have the bug. And others report a completely different kind of behavior for the bug than what most are seeing. It's possible this speaks to a hardware failure, like the buzzing (though I am dubious of this).

Neutral to firmware or hardware:
-- It is odd that it seems to affect all model lines. Since they all started with the same firmware version (as has been established), this would lead me to think firmware. But they the buzz is affecting all model lines too and is a hardware issue. So it theoretically could be a common hardware issue.

The bottom line is whether it is software or not it is very concerning that Samsung feels compelling to officially deny the existence of this problem. It has been noted in major reviews and thousands of posts online. And it is very easily repeatable. So they clearly know about it and have for a long time. If it were an easy firmware fix, it's hard to imagine why they wouldn't have fixed it by now. So if it is a firmware issue, it must be something that they are having trouble getting to the root cause of. And they will only expend limited resources fixing a current model line since the vast majority of their focs will always be on the next product line. So I personally would rank the odds of it being fixed this year as (well) less than even.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page