Free KuroReader Software for Pioneer KRP-500M, KRP-600M, PRO-101FD, PRO-141FD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 107 Old 08-31-2009, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
KuroReader 2.0 is a free detailed picture settings reader and Web Interface Control Panel for the Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M, KRP-600M, PRO-101FD, and PRO-141FD plasma monitors. It connects to your networked Pioneer Monitor over a LAN, Wireless LAN, or direct Ethernet connection via TCP/IP.

The retrieved settings can be viewed, printed, saved to a file, and copied/pasted into another document, application, or forum. User selectable "[code]" tags can be added to the text to retain formatting* when posting messages to the AVSForum.

Screenshot:

Version 2.0 - Enhancements:
  • ISF Gamma - Displays ISF 9 Point RGB gamma settings in a table format. Note that the Kuro's display will go blank (like it does when switching AV modes) twice for about ½ second each while reading ISF Gamma. Also, reading gamma adds 3 or 4 seconds to the standard settings retrieval time. This option can be turned off if desired.
  • PC Source Picture Settings - Now capable of displaying settings for Component, Analog-RGB, DVI, and HDMI inputs configured as PC (personal computer) or RGB sources. (The previous version disconnected from the display when a PC/RGB source was detected.)
  • Input Signal - Displays the resolution and refresh rate of the input source.
  • Input Setup - Displays the current input's signal type and color-decoding/color-space (e.g., "Video/RGB16-235) configuration.
  • The combined information of Input Signal and Input Setup provides the user with the key parameters necessary to determine the non-ISF memory associated with a given input source (provided that Auto is not selected).
  • Input Name - Added the input name (Video, Component, DVI, HDMI 1, etc.) to the displayed input number.
  • Removed the stars from the Model Name and improved other setting descriptions and groupings.
  • Dynamic forum Code and Table formatting tags - These can now be added and removed before or after the settings are read from the display.
  • New default Settings page (with blank values).
  • Kuro Web Control Tabs - New tabbed user interface provides a centralized control panel for direct access to the Kuro's built-in Remote, Picture, ISF, Options, Input, Network, E-Mail, and Service web control pages - without using Internet Explorer, Favorites, or typing URL's. A page Refresh button is available for these tabs. The web control pages will work even when KuroReader is disconnected (as long as the correct IP Address is in the IP textbox).
  • ISF Web Control Improvements - KuroReader modifies the ISF page behavior to prevent it from closing itself and opening the Remote pop-up window. The behavior of the Exit, Exit Without Save, and All Clear buttons have also been modified to always exit ISF mode cleanly and prevent a user from accidentally erasing all ISF memories. (You can still access the standard ISF interface using Internet Explorer if you want to erase all ISF memories). Note: NA KRP models require the "patch" to use this interface. Also, the built-in ISF interface has limited controls and is best used for tweaking existing ISF memories.
  • Progress bar - Shows activity when reading settings data from the display.
  • Exit button - Moved to the top of the form.
  • ToolTips - Popup help for specific buttons.
  • Resizable Settings Windows - To display large setting pages and Web Control forms.
System Requirements
  • Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
  • Microsoft .NET 2.0 or higher
  • Display: Pioneer KRP-500M, KRP-600M, PRO-101FD, and PRO-141FD
  • A Pioneer monitor properly configured and connected to a LAN or WLAN.
  • You must know your Monitor's IP Address to use KuroReader
Download (Updated 10/29/2009)
KuroReader is free for home and personal use. It does not contain any Adware, Spyware, or Malware, and no registration or activation keys are required. To download KuroReader, click on the link below and select the Download page from the menu. Basic instructions are provided on the Support page.
>>Download KuroReader<<
(Note: The website uses Adobe Flash 10, so please use the IE 32-bit browser in Vista 64 or Win7-64)

*Below is an example of settings pasted from KuroReader with Code Tags enabled:
Code:
Pioneer Kuro Settings
 Date & Time : 10/25/2009 12:06:23 AM
 Model       : KRP-500M

Input & Screen
 Input       : 5 (HDMI 1)
 Input Signal: 1080I/60.0
 Input Setup : Video/RGB16-235
 Screen Size : DOT BY DOT

Picture
 AV Selection: ISF-Night
 Contrast    : 29
 Brightness  : 1
 Color       : 5
 Tint        : 0
 Sharpness   : -7
 Color Temp  : Manual
  Red High   : -5
  Green High : 0
  Blue High  : -2
  Red Low    : -3
  Green Low  : 1
  Blue Low   : 1
 Gamma       : 3 (ISF 9 Point Gamma in use)

ISF Gamma 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Red -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
Green -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
Blue -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
Pure Cinema Film Mode : Standard Text Optimization: Off Intelligent Mode: Off Picture Detail DRE Picture : Off Black Level : Off ACL : Off Enhancer Mode: Natural Color Detail CTI: Off Color Management R (RED) : 0 Y (YELLOW) : -2 G (GREEN) : 0 C (CYAN) : 0 B (BLUE) : 0 M (MAGENTA): 1 Color Space : 2 Noise Reduction 3DNR : Off Field NR : Off Block NR : Off Mosquito NR: Off Other 3DYC : Middle IP Mode : 2 (Standard) Drive Mode : 1 (75Hz) Game Control : Off Blue Only Mode: Off Power & Options Energy Save Mode : Standard Room Light Sensor: Off

LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 Old 08-31-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

KuroReader FAQ
Q1. Why would I need or want this software?

A1. There are several possible answers:
  • To share settings on AVSForum in a standard format that follows the On-screen Picture Menu layout.
  • The 9G monitors may lose non-ISF settings when you exceed the Picture memory slots available, so it is nice to have them saved to a file with a Date and Time stamp.
  • There have been some reports of lost ISF settings on some models which is particularily tragic if you paid a Pro and don't know what they are (and you can't see all the ISF settings from the User menu).
  • You are curious as to what the hidden settings are in Dynamic and Optimum modes.
  • You want to see what the default settings are for non-ISF modes are without actually resetting them. (The display will return default values when it is in Standby mode).
  • You are an excessive tweaker and want to save your settings to a file in case you want to go back to them later.
  • You want to paste the settings into the Calman or HCFR calibration notes or comments box rather than type them manually while you stumble through the Kuro's menu with the remote.
  • You want a single simplified user interface to all of the Kuro's web control interface pages without using Internet Explorer.
Q2. Can KuroReader harm my Kuro?
A2. KuroReader can not harm your Kuro. It reads settings using the Kuro monitor's built-in IP Control Interface using standard commands provided by Pioneer. KuroReader was extensively tested on my own KRP-500M. In addition, no issues were reported from 3 AVSForum member beta testers.

Q3. How can I get my Kuro monitor connected to my wireless home network?
A3. Inexpensive Ethernet-to-Wireless adaptors and Wireless Bridges are available from most router manufacturers. For more details, see this post below: Connecting Your Monitor to a Wireless Network

Q4. How can I connect my Kuro directly to my laptop or PC using an Ethernet cable?
A4. See post #41 - Direct Ethernet Connection

Q5. Why are my previous settings still listed on the Reader tab after I pressed the Get Settings button again?
A5. Each time the Get Settings button is pressed, the settings retrieved are appended to the bottom of the current Kuro settings page and can be viewed using the scroll bar. This allows you to gather settings for different AV modes and inputs and save them to one file. If you don't want to append the next settings, you can press the Clear button first to delete the currently listed settings.

Q6. Why does the Kuro disconnect from KuroReader after about 5 minutes?
A6. The Kuro's default timeout setting is 5 minutes. You can change this setting on the Network tab. The timeout can be increased to 20 minutes or turned off completely using the TCP Connection Limit setting.

Q7. Why am I unable to connect to my Kuro using KuroReader, but I can get to the Web Interface using Internet Explorer?
A7. Check your Windows or 3rd party firewall settings to see if they are blocking KuroReader. KuroReader needs to have access to TCP ports 4201 and 80 on your local network.

Q8. How do I create, enable, or adjust ISF Auto, Day, & Night modes using KuroReader?
A8. ISF Tab Instructions (for 101/141, Euro KRP's, and patched NA KRP's only):

1. Select the ISF tab.
2. Select the Input from the drop down list and press the Set button. Do this even if the display is already on that input.
3. Select the ISF Mode (Auto/Day/Night) and press the Set button. (Tip:Try creating Day mode first if you have trouble initializing other modes.) The page should refresh and display your current or the default settings. The display should show the 2 line on-screen ISF information.
4. Change each setting (contrast, brightness, white balance, etc) one at a time and

press the Set button next to the setting after each change. Sometimes the web page will not reflect the change, but the monitor will display that change onscreen. Pressing the Refresh button or pressing the Set button next to an unchanged setting should get things back in sync.
5. When you are done with your changes, press the Save Settings button. The Pioneer display will show the "ISF Calibration Completed" message.
6. To exit the Calibration mode, press the "Exit" or "Exit Without Save" button - KuroReader modifies the behavior of these buttons so they both provide the same functionality. The ISF onscreen display should disappear. If it does not, try turning the display off and on again.
More FAQ coming soon...
post #3 of 107 Old 08-31-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #4 of 107 Old 09-01-2009, 05:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
JD - very cool! Though I haven't networked my 141 yet, this software certainly would come in handy once I do!

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #5 of 107 Old 09-01-2009, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks! It will also work directly connected to a PC/Laptop via Ethernet, although setting that up is a bit tricky.

BTW, I accidentally deleted the screenshot yesterday - it is back up now. (Unfortunaltely, the Code tagged text does not like to be edited, so I lost my bold formatting on each section..I will add these back tonight).
post #6 of 107 Old 09-01-2009, 09:25 AM

Liked: 10
Can't wait to try this out. Thanks!

-Sean
post #7 of 107 Old 09-01-2009, 10:17 AM

When can we expect to see a TCP/IP based Kurowriter software?
The actual Web Control System is pretty lame and ControlCalc uses RS-232...
post #8 of 107 Old 09-01-2009, 10:18 AM

Open source?

sorry, devoted linux user who's used to open source
post #9 of 107 Old 09-01-2009, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radXge View Post

When can we expect to see a TCP/IP based Kurowriter software?
The actual Web Control System is pretty lame and ControlCalc uses RS-232...

I may add a few basic selections for Input and AVS mode soon, and maybe some other items here or in a separate application. The first thing on my list right now is to add the Input signal (e.g. resolution/rate, 1080p/60, etc.) to the report.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nweibley View Post

Open source?

Sorry, it is not. The license agreement is on my site and displayed during the installation.
post #10 of 107 Old 09-01-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Open source?

If you're not* using Windows you can use my script (I normally use a Mac but this works under Linux just fine) which I will include in its entirety below.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
printf "\\002**$1\\003"|nc kuro 4201
printf "\
"
Prettify to taste**.

*This does work with Windows if you install Cygwin but nc doesn't work right there.

**Aye, there's the rub.
post #11 of 107 Old 09-01-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bodosom's script is a good alternative for Linux, and you should grab the Integrators Manual (see Bodosom's FAQ link) if you go that route. I found that both the Linux and Windows NC versions to be more prone to hanging the Kuro's IP interface (requiring shutting the Kuro off with the main power switch), which led me to build KuroReader.
I haven't looked into it in detail, but long term I could port the app to MS Silverlight, extended to Linux via Novell's Moonlight. Ugh, sounds complicated .
post #12 of 107 Old 09-01-2009, 03:41 PM

Thanks jdbimmer for providing this software, can't wait to try it out.
post #13 of 107 Old 09-01-2009, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sorry, devoted linux user who's used to open source

I just ran KuroReader successfully on Ubuntu Linux 9.04 using Wine and Winetricks w2k and dotnet2. It ran a bit very slow, but my Ubuntu OS is in a Sun VirtualBox VM, so YMMV. I could not check the printing since I don't have one set up in the OS.
post #14 of 107 Old 09-01-2009, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer View Post

I found that both the Linux and Windows NC versions to be more prone to hanging the Kuro's IP interface

Yeah, I might fix that at some point. It's still below my threshold of pain. However my main point was providing an "open source" alternative. Well maybe alternative isn't quite the right word.

On a completely unrelated note QS4 isn't in the integrator's manual.
post #15 of 107 Old 09-01-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

On a completely unrelated note QS4 isn't in the integrator's manual.

Yeah, not unlike some missing items in the User manual as well. I guess the editor was on vacation.
post #16 of 107 Old 09-02-2009, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rather than go into an off-topic discussion on serial vs. IP and netcat, I think that radXge's post was just referring to the inconvenience of connecting directly vs. wireless, which is understandable.

Dealing with the Kuro's network interface did take some some development effort to get it all sorted out, but the design works well. Creating the icon for KuroReader - now that was a challenge and it still needs some color or something..
post #17 of 107 Old 09-03-2009, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think that radXge's post was just referring to the inconvenience of connecting directly vs. wireless, which is understandable.

I shouldn' try to think when I'm distracted.

Anyway, does your response

Quote:

I may add a few basic selections for Input and AVS mode soon, and maybe some other items here or in a separate application.

imply a KuroReaderWriter?
post #18 of 107 Old 09-03-2009, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Hi,

I know this is a long shot but is there any way that there is a version for European models of this?

Bazzy!
post #19 of 107 Old 09-03-2009, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Hi,

I know this is a long shot but is there any way that there is a version for European models of this?

Bazzy!

KuroReader should work with the EUR KRP-500M and 600M displays. The EUR 500A/600A and LX5090/6090 will not work as they do not have the IP Control interface.
post #20 of 107 Old 09-03-2009, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

KuroReader should work with the EUR KRP-500M and 600M displays. As far as I know, the 500A/600A and LX5090/6090 will not work since they do not have the IP Control interface.

Hi!

Thank you kindly for the help! I find myself at a quandary then as I have a "H"model of the 5090. The 5090H differs considerably from a standard 5090 & is almost entirely identical to the KRP-500A in terms of features. operation & functions. The only feature difference is that it lacks the "Pure Mode" of the KRP-500A & physically it is an integrated version therefore not so slim & no external media unit. The KRP's do have a different screen (purportedly with some of the G10 Kuro Tech applied) and all my research to date seems to indicate that the 5090H also has the same screen as the KRP's but I may be wrong - hopefully someone here maybe able to shed more light?

In my case, do you think this software will still work then? I know Pioneer have very clearly stated that under no circumstances update a 5090H with standard 5090 firmware updates if that helps?

Bazzy!
post #21 of 107 Old 09-03-2009, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Anyway, does your reponse imply a KuroReaderWriter?

Not yet, and only if it would be useful. At this point I think I might favor the remote for detailed adjustment tasks.
post #22 of 107 Old 09-03-2009, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Hi!

Thank you kindly for the help! I find myself at a quandary then as I have a "H"model of the 5090..
In my case, do you think this software will still work then?

Bazzy!

Unfortunately, it won't work with the LX5090H. That model's ethernet port is used for the Home Media Gallery and does not provide an IP control interface.
post #23 of 107 Old 09-03-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not yet, and only if it would be useful. At this point I think I might favor the remote for detailed adjustment tasks.

After I pulled all the codes from the integrators document I decided to rewrite the script in Perl. I haven't done enough testing to see if it still breaks the Kuro network stack but if not I was going to put together a dump/restore widget. Which is the long way of saying I think there's some use but not for adjustment (that would be the someday IP version of ControlCAL).

Of course there's no value in a screen based display for such a utility and it's not clear that anyone but me wants to take regular snapshots of all their settings so I suppose I shouldn't suggest you look in that direction.
post #24 of 107 Old 09-03-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have you tried running my app in Mac Parallels? It would expect it to work since it supports .NET. That would be easier, but maybe not as fun for you as writing your own Perl script (which probably deserves it's own thread if you make some progress).
post #25 of 107 Old 09-03-2009, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you tried running my app in Mac Parallels? It would expect it to work since it supports .NET.

Yes, it works just fine.
post #26 of 107 Old 09-05-2009, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Many of us do not have a wired Ethernet connection in reach of our Pioneer monitors, and these displays do not have built-in wireless support. However, there are several inexpensive solutions available from networking product manufacturers that will allow you to connect your display to a wireless network:

1. A simple solution is a wireless "gaming" type adapter or multifunction device that provides a non-WDS Ethernet-to-Wireless adapter mode. Of these, the most promising and inexpensive solution that I have seen is the Asus 330gE. In Ethernet Adapter mode, this small device provides wireless connectivity to your existing wireless network and one Ethernet port to connect to your Kuro. The advantages are its small size and easy configuration. The disadvantage is that it does not have additional Ethernet ports for other devices (e.g., your Blu-Ray player or AV Receiver) .

2. A more complex solution is any router that supports a WDS (Wireless Distribution System) bridge mode added to your WDS-compatible wireless network. The Kuro would be connected via wired Ethernet to the WDS router/bridge, and the router/bridge connects to your existing wireless network. The advantage of this configuration is that many of these devices have multiple ports available for connecting other ethernet devices to your wireless network. The disadvantages are that not all WDS compatible routers work well with other manufacturer's WDS routers and configuration can be challenging.

3. Simple, but generally more expensive quasi-wireless solutions, are the various flavors of powerline Ethernet. These devices plug into the AC outlets in your home and use your home's electrical wiring to connect devices to your router. One device is required near your Kuro and one next to your router. Network performance is dependent on the age, condition, and configuration of your home wiring.
post #27 of 107 Old 09-06-2009, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the great software. It's helped me keep track of all of my ISF settings on my 500M.
post #28 of 107 Old 09-06-2009, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ View Post

Thanks for the great software. It's helped me keep track of all of my ISF settings on my 500M.

You're welcome! I am glad you found it useful.
post #29 of 107 Old 09-17-2009, 05:56 AM

Thanks for your effort!!!
post #30 of 107 Old 09-17-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Many of us do not have a wired Ethernet connection in reach of our Pioneer monitors, and these displays do not have built-in wireless support. However, there are several inexpensive solutions available from networking product manufacturers that will allow you to connect your display to a wireless network:

1. A simple solution is a wireless "gaming" type adapter or multifunction device that provides a non-WDS Ethernet-to-Wireless adapter mode. Of these, the most promising and inexpensive solution that I have seen is the Asus 330gE. In Ethernet Adapter mode, this small device provides wireless connectivity to your existing wireless network and one Ethernet port to connect to your Kuro. The advantages are its small size and easy configuration. The disadvantage is that it does not have additional Ethernet ports for other devices (e.g., your Blu-Ray player or AV Receiver) .

2. A more complex solution is any router that supports a WDS (Wireless Distribution System) bridge mode added to your WDS-compatible wireless network. The Kuro would be connected via wired Ethernet to the WDS router/bridge, and the router/bridge connects to your existing wireless network. The advantage of this configuration is that many of these devices have multiple ports available for connecting other ethernet devices to your wireless network. The disadvantages are that not all WDS compatible routers work well with other manufacturer's WDS routers and configuration can be challenging.

3. Simple, but generally more expensive quasi-wireless solutions, are the various flavors of powerline Ethernet. These devices plug into the AC outlets in your home and use your home's electrical wiring to connect devices to your router. One device is required near your Kuro and one next to your router. Network performance is dependent on the age, condition, and configuration of your home wiring.

I can attest that the ASUS 330ge really works great. I got one for an upstairs bedroom TV that has no Cat5, but I've tested it with all my ethernet devices including my 500m and it really works well. Very versitile too, can be used as an AP, Wireless adapter and repeater. If it was Draft N, I would buy 2 or 3 more of these.

Thanks to JDBIMMER for this very useful application, not to mention all of his equally useful information and advice.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page