Is the Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD the best 60" plasma currently? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-08-2009, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the 60" Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD the best plasma with speakers available currently? I understand that the 141FD version is slightly better but it does not have speakers and it needs a tuner.
I want a best plasma that has speakers with built in tuner to get OTA HD channels.

One other question: Is the heat and high power consumption of this TV a big reason to not buy this TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterStrike View Post

Is the 60" Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD the best plasma with speakers available currently? I understand that the 141FD version is slightly better but it does not have speakers and it needs a tuner.
I want a best plasma that has speakers with built in tuner to get OTA HD channels.

One other question: Is the heat and high power consumption of this TV a big reason to not buy this TV?

I have owned one of these for 15 months. The power consumption is not nearly as bad as some would tell you. Depending on your local rates, how the set is adjusted and how many hours of daily use, you will find that the cost is only a few bucks a month more for most people.

The heat has again been exaggerate. If the room is well ventilated, it creates no problems. I have to be within a foot or so of the set to detect any heat.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

I have owned one of these for 15 months. The power consumption is not nearly as bad as some would tell you. Depending on your local rates, how the set is adjusted and how many hours of daily use, you will find that the cost is only a few bucks a month more for most people.

The heat has again been exaggerate. If the room is well ventilated, it creates no problems. I have to be within a foot or so of the set to detect any heat.

There are two power saver modes you can use. I use power save 1 except for blu ray DVDs to good effect. In power save one it gets to abut 83 degrees above my set on the wall. With it off (best viewing) it gets to 87 in ISF day mode, 85 in isf auto. My room is AC'd at 75.

This is a very very good set. I have not seen a better one.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterStrike View Post

yes, it's the best display on the market with speakers and built in atsc/qam tuners.

buy one while they are still available. dont worry about the power or heat, it should not be a problem.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
Old 09-09-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Not necessarily. I happen to see the Samsung 650/860 series plasmas as the best most true to life images. A few others here might prefer the newer top Panasonic V-series.
It's just a matter of your preferences.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Nothing comes even close to a Kuro from any PDP manufacturer today, maybe in a few years, but not at this moment, my PRO110FD "last years model" still will put most of todays PDP's to shame, and my PRO151FD is just that much sweeter. Go check out any professional reviews and they are saying the same things.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:08 AM

Can you hang this TV on the wall? Plasma tends to be heavy and with 60" size, I don't know if it would fall.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancomycin View Post

Can you hang this TV on the wall? Plasma tends to be heavy and with 60" size, I don't know if it would fall.

yes, many avsers have their Pro151 and other Pioneer Kuros wall mounted.

As long as you use a good wall mount and install it correctly you should not have a problem with it ever falling under normal circumstances.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
Old 09-10-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Can you hang this TV on the wall? Plasma
tends to be heavy and with 60" size, I don't know if it would fall.

I have my KURO KRP 600m mounted using a Sanus VMPL3 tilt mount. Panel is
heavy at 110lbs. I did perform a hang test on my mount using my 200lb self as
the weight and not even a creak out of the mount. I did span 3 studs and
used 6 new lag bolts from Home Depot.

Living life in HD!
Gene
Old 09-10-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

yes, many avsers have their Pro151 and other Pioneer Kuros wall mounted.

As long as you use a good wall mount and install it correctly you should not have a problem with it ever falling under normal circumstances.

X2 ...My 151 is wall mounted using a modified Sanus 50' mount. No issues with wall or mount after 18 months or so. As long as the tv's weight is under the wall mounts spec you will be fine.

Wood studs required of course... I would'nt mount to steel studs or anything exotic.

pic in this thread if you want to see it.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

sure you can.

My 141 is on the wall...heck my friends B&O 65" is on the wall and is almost 200 lbs
Old 09-10-2009, 02:55 PM

Liked: 45
I'm currently in the market for a Pioneer plasma. I did a small amount of research, and I heard that the 141fd was the same as the 151fd, minus the speakers and stand. Is this incorrect? Is the PQ better on the 141fd compared to the 151fd? What is the difference?

Basically, I'm looking for the highest quality screen on the market. If the 141fd is better, I'll deal without speakers and a stand.

Thanks, guys!
Old 09-10-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

my PRO151 has been hanging from the wall since day one, I took the stand off as soon as I got it, looks like a work of art on the wall. And my PRO110FD is also hanging on the wall, both use Sanus wall mounts.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:42 AM

I just bought the PRO-151FD from Best Buy Magnolia in Knoxville, TN. They had two in the box :-). I am moving up from a 50" older (before kuro elite) pioneer plasma and the picture is just stunning.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:02 AM

I got the 151FD about 6 weeks ago for bedroom; I also have a commercial 65" Panasonic(11UK) in the family room to compare.I have tried to record and watch same HD and SD programming and Blurays' on both TV's for A-B comparisons.

Pioneer really shines under ISF modes with a depth and 3-dimensionality to the picture not seen in other TV's.

If you get the 151, you must unlock the ISF modes using CONTROLCAL or by a calibrator. Even with the 150 Hr. break-in and the settings from AVS, other picture modes were OK, nothing special. But once I unlocked the ISF modes, the picture quality went up several notches to uncomparable. And this is prior to any calibration as my ISF mode settings are entirely default.

I can't bear to use any other mode now due to dramatically superior PQ in ISF modes. IMHO, anyone using Elite 151FD without trying ISF modes is missing the full enjoyment of the TV.

Also, since you are going to use the TV speakers, the Pio elites have the best in-built speakers of any TV I have seen or read about (perhaps a B&O plasma may be better). Pio speakers have 36 watts output with well spaced speakers. For comparison, the new top-of-the-line Panasonic 65V10 has 20 watt sound output and has been described to have a "Tinny" sound.

My panel from BB/MHT has been perfect with no buzz or Pixel problems. Heat and power consumption are not issues at all in my experience.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

There are two power saver modes you can use. I use power save 1 except for blu ray DVDs to good effect. In power save one it gets to abut 83 degrees above my set on the wall. With it off (best viewing) it gets to 87 in ISF day mode, 85 in isf auto. My room is AC'd at 75.

This is a very very good set. I have not seen a better one.

I use power save 2 mode on my 5020 and can't notice one bit of diff from power save off to power save mode 2. The pic looks just the same.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
Old 09-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Old 09-28-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote one review from the buyer..
Quote:

It's picture is unbelievable. I had a 50 in Panasonic preveiously and it was really great, but this set is unmatched in clarity and color. Sometimes the picture seems to have depth with the level of detail. It's a monster, heavey and huge and worth every pound and penny.

the orginal reviews

PRO 151FD is really a good one to try..

But Pioneer has stopped making it, is it ture?