Need Advice - Plasma as Video and PC Monitor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-29-2009, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Howdy folks!

Ive got a Samsung 56" DLP set whose light engine is on its way out. Ive got white-dots galore and a fan-whine which even the neighbors complain about. Now that it's occasionally refusing to spin the fan up, I'm looking to replace this thing. After reading through the forums and catching up on technology (who knew that they'd be selling big LCD PC monitors as TVs?!) Ive decided that Plasma is the way to go. A quick trip to the local BestBuy confirmed that choice for me.

I only use my TV as a monitor. I feed it a single HDMI cable from my Yamaha RX-V3900 and thats it. All other functions are controlled through other boxes. I've got DirecTV for tuning and DVR functions, an AR Mediabridge for watching streaming DVDs and MP3s from my media server and a PC for web-browsing, all switched through the RX-V3900. I do not use the TV speakers at all.

Given this, the Plasma sets Im looking at (I like what Ive seen in the Samsung PN59B860) have alot of additional functions and features which I simply will not use. Is there a monitor-only version of these panels somewhere with the same video display quality but without all the tv-mediacenter-audio/amplification functionality that I am not using the unit for? I'd hate to spend more than I need to and get duplicitative functionality that will go to waste. I'd rather buy an oppo or some other toy I would use with that money instead...

Am I locked into a fully featured set inorder to get the best screen performance?

Thanks for your advice. I can't wait to get a new set. Ive been seeing DLP rainbows for *far* too long...

-R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-29-2009, 10:47 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratava View Post

Howdy folks!

Ive got a Samsung 56" DLP set whose light engine is on its way out. Ive got white-dots galore and a fan-whine which even the neighbors complain about. Now that it's occasionally refusing to spin the fan up, I'm looking to replace this thing. After reading through the forums and catching up on technology (who knew that they'd be selling big LCD PC monitors as TVs?!) Ive decided that Plasma is the way to go. A quick trip to the local BestBuy confirmed that choice for me.

I only use my TV as a monitor. I feed it a single HDMI cable from my Yamaha RX-V3900 and thats it. All other functions are controlled through other boxes. I've got DirecTV for tuning and DVR functions, an AR Mediabridge for watching streaming DVDs and MP3s from my media server and a PC for web-browsing, all switched through the RX-V3900. I do not use the TV speakers at all.

Given this, the Plasma sets Im looking at (I like what Ive seen in the Samsung PN59B860) have alot of additional functions and features which I simply will not use. Is there a monitor-only version of these panels somewhere with the same video display quality but without all the tv-mediacenter-audio/amplification functionality that I am not using the unit for? I'd hate to spend more than I need to and get duplicitative functionality that will go to waste. I'd rather buy an oppo or some other toy I would use with that money instead...

Am I locked into a fully featured set inorder to get the best screen performance?

Thanks for your advice. I can't wait to get a new set. Ive been seeing DLP rainbows for *far* too long...

-R.

The best monitor-only plasmas are the Pioneer KRP-500M (50") and KRP-600M (60"). Both models are being phased out and there is a limited supply of these units that is dwindling fast. You need to decide soon if you want to purchase any of these remaining units before they are history.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 03:23 AM

i agree pioneer is the best

EMR | EHR | eRx
post #4 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 08:35 AM

how often do you use your tv for PC functions???
post #5 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. While the Pioneers get great reviews, the Sammys seem to keep up from what ive read. My desire to save a bit of green by purchasing a set with fewer non-PQ related features isn't really met if I buy a set which is almost double the cost.

So maybe I need to refine my question a bit. Are there monitor-only sets out there with comparable PQ as the Sammy pn58B860 which cost less?

Thanks,
-R.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Mike_P View Post

how often do you use your tv for PC functions???

rarely. Maybe an hour a week. Its a nice to have in a pinch. I have other machines for my real computing needs.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 10:47 AM

Sammy pn58B860 is a great one to try.
My brother hooked up Xbox360, Wii and Playstation 3 to the set and the motion in the games is great along with unbelievable graphics. The lowest price i find for it is $2679.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBHappy View Post

The best monitor-only plasmas are the Pioneer KRP-500M (50") and KRP-600M (60"). Both models are being phased out and there is a limited supply of these units that is dwindling fast. You need to decide soon if you want to purchase any of these remaining units before they are history.

Those may not be good choices for his setup, since they have problems automatically detecting a 0-255 RGB signal from a 16-235 RGB signal. With everything being switched by the AVR, he'd be in trouble if his components output both types of RGB.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratava View Post

Thanks for the responses. While the Pioneers get great reviews, the Sammys seem to keep up from what ive read. My desire to save a bit of green by purchasing a set with fewer non-PQ related features isn't really met if I buy a set which is almost double the cost.

So maybe I need to refine my question a bit. Are there monitor-only sets out there with comparable PQ as the Sammy pn58B860 which cost less?

Thanks,
-R.

Samsungs don't compare to the Pioneers in black level, though the quality of color reproduction is very good.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the PN58B860. It's home sitting (upright) in the uhaul van I had to rent to transport the thing! The price was absolutely right, and *well* under the lowest price I could find online. I think in this case, the features probably came at $0 additional cost given the nice discount the local dealer was willing to make.

I can't wait to get it inside and mounted to the wall!

Thx again,
-R.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page